Author Topic: What are we Reading Now: Conan the Librarian  (Read 147204 times)

elf25s

• Major
Re: What are we Reading Now: Conan the Librarian
« Reply #1350 on: 01 March 2024, 10:35:47 »
i had not read any book bolo tanks series in decades
might take a look at it again
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #1351 on: 01 March 2024, 10:37:29 »
was looking for  a read for the weekend...came across breserker series complete which i did not know i still had....
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #1352 on: 02 March 2024, 13:22:34 »
boy and his tank leo frankowski...fun romp through about a tank warfare and how thinking tank formed a relationship with its pilotand vice versa

Did you get a chance to read the sequel, "The War with Earth"?

enjoyed his conrad stargard series sadly he passed away before he could do the 8th book

Read that series too, but only books 1-5 IIRC.  It had a few good moments in there where the main character wanted to do something but the lower tech level didn't allow it (i.e. boards to make beehives with to make removable frames).  Instead the local woodworker had an idea - he burned hollows in a split piece of trunk then tied the trunk together with rope.  Not as efficient as removable frames, but it was far more practical to make.  Conrad realizes that in spite of his own book education he had a lot to learn.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #1353 on: 02 March 2024, 15:03:58 »
i had read it i think there were total of 4 books in series
actually behives were made that way for ages in that part of europe at the time so leo describes very very old tech
its not surprising since he was originally an designing engineer
take a look at his fata morgana it was interesting take on legend of floating island that existed in time of mythical king arthur and why it was never discovered

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1354 on: 03 March 2024, 15:35:04 »
Not quite a book per say, but live & very detailed fan story on Space Battles.com/forums which I've been slow to read since I want it to last.  Princess of Mandalore (Youjo Senki/Star Wars) being written by L4 of the WEST.  I don't know what this guy does for work, but he write very interesting & detailed fan story inserting long tormented soul of Tanya Degurechaff from the anime / manga The Saga of Tanya the Evil and has her reborn again as Mandalorian nobility. Inserted right at the dawn of the Prequels of the Star War/Clone Wars era.  He writes good, damn good.  Makes me forget sometimes I'm actually reading fan story and not official Star Wars novel.  It's that good.

Here
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #1355 on: 06 March 2024, 11:56:00 »
got my paws at a thrift store on firefox and firefox down
first was made into movie with one of action greats clint eastwood second was a book sequel

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1356 on: 06 March 2024, 18:24:10 »
got my paws at a thrift store on firefox and firefox down
first was made into movie with one of action greats clint eastwood second was a book sequel

Showing my age. Went and saw the movie in the theater when it came out.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #1357 on: 06 March 2024, 19:10:14 »
I was young enough I had to wait for HBO.  That would have been cool to see in a theater... :/

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #1358 on: 06 March 2024, 19:37:52 »
i also recall the arcade cabinet it was cool and it was one of the first ones to use laser disk as a background image source.....mach 3 came later but dragons lair used same tech and was the first.
in second book i did not like that they were able to drain and dry the plane and make it usable as if nothing happened
heck chanook even tho it was designed for water drop and recovery still needs at least  at minimum 80 of fixes and repairs to make it flightworthy and its engines are on top
and i was lucky i was able to see it in theater when they had retro movie nights didnt have thx sound still kicked buttom

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #1359 on: 07 March 2024, 05:05:58 »
I also watched Firefox at the theater!  :smilie_happy_thumbup:

Back then I never thought to look for the novelization though, so I never read it or had even HEARD of Firefox Down:undecided:

Currently about halfway through Redliners, by the late David Drake.  :sad:

YEARS back I read another sci-fi story where the plants were against humans as they are in Redliners, but I don't remember the Author much less the title.  :undecided:

Looking at his Bibliography, aside from reading most (if not all?) of the Hammer's Slammers books, I've read Ranks of Bronze (which had 2 Sequels I'm JUST NOW finding out about!), Dagger (from Thieves' World), Killer, and probably some of his other works.  I know Northworld sounds familiar (after looking at the Wiki for it), so I Think I've read it (when it was NEW!), but don't think I read the other 2 in the trilogy.  :undecided:
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #1360 on: 07 March 2024, 06:12:30 »
The interview linked by beachead1985 over in the RIP thread discusses Northworld, if you're interested.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #1361 on: 08 March 2024, 01:04:03 »
Currently reading Aftermarket Afterlife, the latest InCryptid novel by Seanan MacQuire.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

NightSarge

• Lieutenant
  • Clan Coyote fan
« Reply #1362 on: 09 March 2024, 07:14:09 »
Reading Mercenary's Star right now
"Nemo my name forevermore"
Nightwish - Nemo

GRUD

• Captain
« Reply #1363 on: 12 March 2024, 22:48:33 »
Currently reading Aftermarket Afterlife, the latest InCryptid novel by Seanan MacQuire.
I've read her Newsflesh stories and enjoyed them all.  Not sure Why she feels she "Needs" 2 different pseudonyms (3 "names" total) to write in this day and age though.  Sure, back in the 40's, 50's and even 60's women HAD to use them if they wanted to be published, but that's LONG passed by this point.
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1364 on: 12 March 2024, 23:44:45 »
Some authors like using pseudonyms if they write several different styles and don't want people mistaking stuff that's very different from their normal stuff.  Newsflesh is very different from the novels she's published under her own name: InCryptid, October Daye, or Wayward Children are all books you could expect to see on the Teen shelf at the library.  The stuff that she published as Mira Grant?  Not so much.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #1365 on: 31 March 2024, 20:38:52 »
harry turtledove
case of toxic magic dump
he actually shines in that one his other one are too formulaeic and dont feel like its a lived in universe

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1366 on: 31 March 2024, 21:19:44 »
I remember that one.  It was interesting.  I do agree that a lot of his stuff was very formulaic.  Especially any of his alternate universe war novels.

S2pidiT

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1367 on: 01 April 2024, 06:35:42 »
Currently reading Sword and Fire, slowly working through my BattleTech backlog. I've got 30 left to go of the books I have so far, it doesn't include any I might buy as I continue reading.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #1368 on: 01 April 2024, 09:43:28 »
Reading WWE Wrestler Becky Lynch's book. The Man, Not Your Average Average Girl

Not bad just your typical wrestler book.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

GRUD

• Captain
« Reply #1369 on: 08 April 2024, 10:57:43 »
Last night at work I finished book 4 of the Guardians of the Flame series, The Heir Apparent.  I'm 57 now, last time I read it I was in my mid-20's.  First time I was in my early 20's.   :grin:

A couple months back I'd finished the Omnibus of books 6 & 7 (The Road to Ehvenor & The Road Home, respectively), To Home and Ehvenor.  I haven't read Book 5 (The Warrior Lives) in a few decades either, and I haven't read books 8-10 (Not Exactly the Three Musketeers, Not Quite Scaramouche, Not Really the Prisoner of Zenda, respectively) ever.   :undecided:

Currently reading The Wild Shore at home, not sure what I'll be reading at work (on break) just yet.   :undecided:

Prospernia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1370 on: 08 April 2024, 21:04:20 »
Went to the local-library; returned some books. Looking for a book an ancient-Russia; none, really. There was a Russian-history books that talked about it, briefly, but, it was like a WIKI-page.  The only place I can find serious books on ancient-history is a university-library.

Grognard

• Lieutenant
  • BTU.org & LotB.com Member
« Reply #1371 on: 09 April 2024, 00:58:43 »
I'm hunting for a specific book.
can't recall the name or the author.
it is a fantasy sword/lance/sandal story.

the primary character is a crippled master swordsman who cries out to MODI! his sword god when he goes into battle.
a link would be greatly appreciated.

GROGNARD:  An old, grumpy soldier, a long term campaigner (Fr); Someone who enjoys playing tactics and strategy based board wargames;  a game fan who will buy every game released in a certain genre of computer game (RTS, or computer role-playing game, etc.)

Prospernia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1372 on: 12 April 2024, 18:41:53 »
I'm hunting for a specific book.
can't recall the name or the author.
it is a fantasy sword/lance/sandal story.

the primary character is a crippled master swordsman who cries out to MODI! his sword god when he goes into battle.
a link would be greatly appreciated.

I did a Google, only got the Crippled Masters, '79 Kung-Fu movie with Jackie Chan.

Grognard

• Lieutenant
  • BTU.org & LotB.com Member
« Reply #1373 on: 12 April 2024, 22:54:30 »
did a new search with a few more inebriated brain cells and found exactly what I was looking for:
The Last of the Renshai
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1096473.The_Last_of_the_Renshai

last read it about 25 years ago: twas an excellent read then.  Gotta find a copy now to see if it holds up to my memories.

GROGNARD:  An old, grumpy soldier, a long term campaigner (Fr); Someone who enjoys playing tactics and strategy based board wargames;  a game fan who will buy every game released in a certain genre of computer game (RTS, or computer role-playing game, etc.)

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #1374 on: 14 April 2024, 18:09:09 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPpla7dAcGk
normally i despise audio books and will not bother listening to one or even short stories...
but my friend insisted...and he almost never recommends anything but he recommended this short story abut 6 times before i caved in...have to say it had me laughing for first time in about a4 month period...if there are gods hope he gets their blessing for his one...i really really needed this

S2pidiT

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1375 on: 15 April 2024, 07:21:42 »
Read the Marauder anthology. I enjoyed it well enough, and I like the idea of superstitions spreading among MechWarriors.

My BattleTech backlog went from 30 to 80 when I bought that BattleTech fiction Humble Bundle. I had several of the books in this new bundle, but plenty I didn't have that it was worth the price at the second-highest tier.

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #1376 on: 18 April 2024, 18:08:40 »
Just finished Rats, Bats, and Vats by Eric Flint & David Freer, and started on the sequel, The Vats, The Bats, and the Ugly.

Cloned human conscript and some uplifted military animals vs alien invaders, with a good dose of humour.
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1377 on: 18 April 2024, 18:19:22 »
I remember reading the first one many years back.  Didn't realize it ever got a sequel.

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #1378 on: 20 April 2024, 11:15:04 »
The sequel is worth it I think, it does a nice job of covering the fall-out of Chip, Ginny, & Fitzhugh's actions in the first book.

The bats & rats get to testify during the court martial...
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<