Author Topic: Silly and unconvincing retconning  (Read 17409 times)

Dmon

• Warrant Officer
Re: Silly and unconvincing retconning
« Reply #30 on: 28 June 2014, 11:00:14 »
Hew does TP: Galtor reconsile the two LAG origin stories? (I have had a quick look through the PDF and can't find said into)

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #31 on: 29 June 2014, 14:44:57 »
Quickscell.  O0

What, you've never assembled a Hetzer with an allen wrench and Swedish instructions?

If you're NOT assembling a Hetzer that way YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #32 on: 29 June 2014, 15:01:41 »
If you're NOT assembling a Hetzer that way YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG.

Whatever way you're assembling a Hetzer, YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG!

No true Hetzer is ever correctly assembled.

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #33 on: 29 June 2014, 15:14:20 »
The one Oarai Academy had was...
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #34 on: 29 June 2014, 16:14:30 »
The Amphigean example is, in fact, a classic case of a retcon, the alteration of previously published information in a fictional work through later additions/subtractions/changes.  It is a later origin for the unit that overwrites the origin originally given in earlier source material. You cannot get more retconny than that.

Unless the retconner was George Lucas.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #35 on: 29 June 2014, 16:33:41 »
Every time someone post 'recon' on this forum, all I can think is "oh no, not this again!"

#P

I'm starting to believe Joss Whedon had the right idea,
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #36 on: 29 June 2014, 18:52:41 »
The one Oarai Academy had was...

No it wasn't.

If it was, it wouldn't have begun life as a Pz 38(t), it'd have gone straight to hetzing.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #37 on: 29 June 2014, 18:58:41 »
Whatever way you're assembling a Hetzer, YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG!

No true Hetzer is ever correctly assembled.

"Isn't the gun supposed to be on the front...? Eh, screw it, it'll die in the first 30 seconds of fighting either way."
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #38 on: 29 June 2014, 19:20:55 »
And thus did Hellbie espouse the true meaning of the Hetzer.  ;)

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
« Reply #39 on: 29 June 2014, 19:21:29 »
"Isn't the gun supposed to be on the front...? Eh, screw it, it'll die in the first 30 seconds of fighting either way."

The only flaw in their thinking is the idea that the Hetzer has a true front.  It doesn't.  It merely has a side that death comes from.  Which side that is, entirely up to the intrepid assembler!
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #40 on: 29 June 2014, 19:51:35 »
The only flaw in their thinking is the idea that the Hetzer has a true front.  It doesn't.  It merely has a side that death comes from.  Which side that is, entirely up to the intrepid assembler!

"HTZ-3R Rolling Death Cube"

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

CitizenErased

• Master Sergeant
  • Eldritch Galactic Princess
    • Dykes Dig Giant Robots
Your friendly neighborhood transgender giant robot enthusiast!

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #42 on: 29 June 2014, 20:28:55 »
I couldn't not do it.

I can't figure out how to shove a bottle of good whiskey through the screen to you, but know that I tried.  O0

+Crow T. Robot+

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
« Reply #43 on: 29 June 2014, 20:51:42 »
I can't figure out how to shove a bottle of good whiskey through the screen to you, but know that I tried.  O0

My ex-girlfriend and I were working on this.  Sadly, we outsourced the research to Quickscell.

RunandFindOut

• Lieutenant
  • Master of the LolCat Horde
« Reply #44 on: 29 June 2014, 21:16:53 »
No it wasn't.

If it was, it wouldn't have begun life as a Pz 38(t), it'd have gone straight to hetzing.
Even Panzers gotta Hetz ;)  Stupid RNG for some reason my hetzer is a fire sponge and never bounces.
One does not just walk into Detroit

She ignored the dragon, and Freddy Mercury who arrived to battle it with the Power of Rock.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #45 on: 29 June 2014, 22:22:21 »
My ex-girlfriend and I were working on this.  Sadly, we outsourced the research to Quickscell.

Alcohol, computers, and shoddily-made components.

"And from this union of ideas came Gateway Computers..."

+Crow T. Robot+

bobthecoward

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: 30 June 2014, 13:03:33 »
The LAG issues sounds like a continuity error and not a retcon.

I wish there were more retcons. I would like a retconned battle of Luthien and Tukayyid. Like Turning points: Mallory's World, I think if in the process of fully covering an event like that, having it reflect modern sensibilities can be a benefit.

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #47 on: 30 June 2014, 13:18:07 »
What do you mean by modern sensibilities?
I loved Mallory's World because it's old-school as hell  O0
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Peacemaker

• Lieutenant
  • Highest MUP Quotient on the forums.
« Reply #48 on: 30 June 2014, 13:36:10 »
The LAG issues sounds like a continuity error and not a retcon.

I wish there were more retcons. I would like a retconned battle of Luthien and Tukayyid. Like Turning points: Mallory's World, I think if in the process of fully covering an event like that, having it reflect modern sensibilities can be a benefit.

In what way do you want the battles of Luthien and Tukayyid to reflect modern sensibilities?

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #49 on: 30 June 2014, 22:32:05 »
The one where they went back and replaced Hanse Davion's pet gerbil with a Daishi-driving midget was pretty strange at the time... still not sure how I feel about it all these years later.

Also, I used to drink a lot. Just thought I'd throw that in.

+Crow T. Robot+

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #50 on: 30 June 2014, 23:07:48 »
That wasn't a gerbil.  It was a miniature giant golden space hamster.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

bobthecoward

• Captain
« Reply #51 on: 01 July 2014, 09:27:17 »
In what way do you want the battles of Luthien and Tukayyid to reflect modern sensibilities?

Luthien book listed a bunch of militia forces that are not really contextualized in their makeup. I think mech force estimates for the defenders would probably be lowered and the role of combined arms would be made explicit.

I feel the big tak-a-ways from the writing in Mallory's World was discussing the roles played by everyone (Legion of Vega, Benjamin Regulars, etc), combined arms (Benjamin armor makes an appearance at the siege), and just a clearer style.

Avimimus

• Sergeant
« Reply #52 on: 05 July 2014, 09:28:29 »
A truly silly and unconvincing ret-conning would be the Amphigian Light Assault Group.  This was one of the top five dumbest things that FASA did.

Originally, the Amphigian Light Assault Group started off as 6 independent corporate security battlemech battalions of Amphigian Agricultural, Inc.  Amphigian Agricultural Inc. is basically the Kuritan equivalent of Wal-Mart.  The corporation would rent out the battalions to other corporations as corporate security.  In 2952, the Amphigian Agriculture, Inc. rented out the six battalions to the Draconis Combine.  After four years, Coordinator Hugai Kurita authorized the expansion of the six independent battalions to two full strength regiments (1st and 2nd) as well as providing battlemechs, aerospace fighters, artillery, and armor to create the 5th Amphigian Light Assault Group.

Unfortunately FASA ret-conned the Amphigian Light Assault Group into three battlemech regiments formed by Jinjiro Kurita at the beginning of the 2nd Succession War.  FASA never did explain how three regiments worth of 'mechwarriors sent on one way suicide missions attacking Davion and Lyrans after being abandoned by the dropships and jumpships that transported them survived to be formed into three battlemech regiments.

Couldn't help but to rationalise this... Couldn't both be true? I mean - expanding private security forces is on the verge of embarrassing. Abandoning troops is always a little traumatic. So, you give the tradition of the abandoned troops to the corporate infrastructure and use that command infrastructure to build a strong military unit with modern equipment. Both problems are solved symbolically. Nobody needs to be then wiser.

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #53 on: 09 July 2014, 22:23:23 »
Alcohol, computers, and shoddily-made components.

"And from this union of ideas came Gateway Computers..."

Hey, I used to work for Gateway Computers...... never mind, you aren't far off......

Nahuris
"A friend will calm you down when you are angry, but a BEST friend will skip along beside you with a baseball bat singing "someone's gonna get it."

"If we are ever in a situation, where I am the voice of reason, we are in a very bad situation."

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #54 on: 09 July 2014, 22:50:12 »
Personally I find the retconning surrounding the Niops Associations' origins.  Originally it was an isolated scientific outpost that missed the Amaris Coup that didn't become an independent state until after the Succession Wars began.  Now its supposed to have been a fledgling Periphery State before the fall of the Star League (per FM:SLDF)?
« Last Edit: 12 July 2014, 17:03:00 by Archangel »
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #55 on: 10 July 2014, 01:05:43 »
Personally I find the retconning surrounding the Niops Associations' origins.  Originally it was an isolated scientific outpost that missed the Amaris Coup that didn't become an independent state until after the Succession Wars began.  Now its supposed to have been a fledgling Periphery State before the fall of the Star League (per FM:SLDF)?
Huh?

Niops is on the map because they were settled by then. This is nothing new. You'll note that there is no legend with the name "Niops Association" with it. This is because, as you correctly say, the NA didn't get founded until later. But the world were settled by the 2750s. And all settled worlds of Great House are shown on maps.

Øystein

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #56 on: 10 July 2014, 02:29:05 »
I think he's talking about on page 120 of FM:SLDF under Logistics where it says "To cover other shortfalls, Van Coevorden has resorted to diplomacy with the Illyrian Palatinate and the fledgling Niops Association. In exchange for military aid, these minor Periphery states offer what little support they can."

Which seems to change the whole "Its an isolated outpost, that became a separate political entity after the Star League Civil War," that I recall from earlier fluff.

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #57 on: 10 July 2014, 02:59:22 »
I think he's talking about on page 120 of FM:SLDF under Logistics where it says "To cover other shortfalls, Van Coevorden has resorted to diplomacy with the Illyrian Palatinate and the fledgling Niops Association. In exchange for military aid, these minor Periphery states offer what little support they can."

Which seems to change the whole "Its an isolated outpost, that became a separate political entity after the Star League Civil War," that I recall from earlier fluff.

Bingo.  As a result suddenly an independent Periphery State has access to classified SLDF technical specs such as the Nighthawk Mk I and Mk II, technical specs that most of the SLDF (not to mention the Great Houses) didn't have access to.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #58 on: 10 July 2014, 03:20:07 »
Well, lets face it. Even with Niops being part of the Star League, its still rather silly for them to have the specs to the Nighthawks.

THAT was a pretty silly retcon/advancement IMO.

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #59 on: 10 July 2014, 03:31:00 »
Well, lets face it. Even with Niops being part of the Star League, its still rather silly for them to have the specs to the Nighthawks.

THAT was a pretty silly retcon/advancement IMO.

I was slightly surprised they stopped there and didn't give them the plans to compact drives (for WarShips) and Lithium fusion batteries as well.   O0
« Last Edit: 10 July 2014, 03:32:41 by Archangel »