Author Topic: Shadow Hawk SDH-8M. The ULTIMATE Clan Invasion Shadow Hawk  (Read 214 times)

Isokrates

• Warrant Officer
  • Dare to love the LGR.
Among the classic TRO 3039 55t classic medium mechs the Griffin is seen as the capable long range fighter, the wolverine as the short range brawler and the shadow hawk as the failed jack of all trades mech.

For the FWL more modern versions of the Shadow Hawk, like the Marik 5M and 7M though they come close as to what the mech should be, they ultimately fall short of the designs potential.

Not the 8M

A Magna Firestar ER PPC replaces the main ballistic weapon found in other Marik designs. The Delta Dart LRM-15 launcher of the 7M remains the choice for the main long range missile launcher. With a lighter line of sight main weapon the short range missile launchers could be upgraded to two SRM-4 Hovertec Quad systems located in the head and center torso of the mech. Both share one ton of SRM-4 ammunition, allowing for 12 shots per launcher. Another two tons of LRM-15 ammo with 16 shots are CASE protected stowed together with the SRM ammunition in the right torso. Compared to the SRM-2/ Streak SRM-2 launchers of prior designs the SRM-4 allows for enough firepower to better counter Clan Elementals, especially if the choice is inferno rounds. Three Martell medium lasers round up the armament of the design.

Mechwarriors can engage enemy targets from a distance with the ERPPC and LRM-15 without heat issues, even when bringing the mech to a run. The 11 double heat sinks of the design also allow the mechwarrior to engage targets when jumping while still remaining heat neutral.

For passive protection the mech uses 10 tons of StarSlab/1d Light Ferro-Fibrous, a full ton shy of max armor weight potential.
The tried and true Hermes 275 extralight engine of previous variants and the five Chilton 360 jump jets are retained propelling the machine to the familiar 5/8/5 movement profile.

All in all the SDH-8M fields a weapons package to surpass that of similarly armed heavy Thunderbolt mech, the de facto heavy trooper mech of the inner sphere, while being well armored and mobile.

Code: [Select]
Shadow Hawk SDH-8M

Mass: 55 tons
Tech Base: Inner Sphere
Chassis Config: Biped
Rules Level: Tournament Legal
Era: Clan Invasion
Tech Rating/Era Availability: F/X-X-E-D
Production Year: 3070
Dry Cost: 10.557.257 C-Bills
Total Cost: 10.644.257 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1.654

Chassis: Earthwerks SHD II Endo-Steel
Power Plant: Hermes 275 Fusion XL Engine
Walking Speed: 54,0 km/h
Maximum Speed: 86,4 km/h
Jump Jets: Chilton 360
    Jump Capacity: 150 meters
Armor: StarSlab/1d Light Ferro-Fibrous w/ CASE
Armament:
    1 Magna Firestar  ER PPC
    1 Delta Dart LRM-15
    3 Martell Medium Lasers
    2 Hovertec Quad SRM-4s
Manufacturer: Earthwerks Incorporated
    Primary Factory: Calloway VI
Communications System: Neil 9000
Targeting and Tracking System: RCA Instatrac Mk.XII

================================================================================
Equipment           Type                         Rating                   Mass 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Endo-Steel                    91 points                3,00
    Internal Locations: 3 LT, 4 LA, 3 RA, 2 LL, 2 RL
Engine:             XL Fusion Engine             275                       8,00
    Walking MP: 5
    Running MP: 8
    Jumping MP: 5 Standard
    Jump Jet Locations: 1 CT, 2 LT, 2 RT                                   2,50
Heat Sinks:         Double Heat Sink             11(22)                    1,00
Gyro:               Standard                                               3,00
Cockpit:            Standard                                               3,00
    Actuators:      L: SH+UA+LA+H    R: SH+UA+LA+H
Armor:              Light Ferro-Fibrous          AV - 169                 10,00
    Armor Locations: 1 LT, 2 LA, 4 RA
    CASE Locations: 1 RT                                                   0,50

Internal       Armor     
                                                      Structure      Factor     
                                                Head     3            9         
                                        Center Torso     18           25       
                                 Center Torso (rear)                  7         
                                           L/R Torso     13           21       
                                    L/R Torso (rear)                  5         
                                             L/R Arm     9            17       
                                             L/R Leg     13           21       

================================================================================
Equipment                                 Location    Heat    Critical    Mass 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Medium Laser                                 RA        3         1         1,00
2 Medium Lasers                              LA        6         2         2,00
LRM-15                                       RT        5         3         7,00
ER PPC                                       LT        15        3         7,00
SRM-4                                        CT        3         1         2,00
SRM-4                                        HD        3         1         2,00
@LRM-15 (16)                                 RT        -         2         2,00
@SRM-4 (25)                                  RT        -         1         1,00
                                            Free Critical Slots: 0

BattleForce Statistics
MV      S (+0)  M (+2)  L (+4)  E (+6)   Wt.   Ov   Armor:      6    Points: 17
5j         3       4       2       0      2     1   Structure:  3
Special Abilities: CASE, SRCH, ES, SEAL, SOA, IF 1

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Shadow Hawk SDH-8M. The ULTIMATE Clan Invasion Shadow Hawk
« Reply #1 on: 28 April 2024, 18:35:50 »
Not bad, but any veteran of the 3rd Succession War would trade the extra heat sink for the last ton of armor... ;)

DevianID

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 28 April 2024, 23:55:20 »
I am biased, but PPC plus LRM15 feels like a Griffin, even though it has some backup lasers and SRMs.  Its a bit pricy for a jack of all trades mech too.

The shadowhawk, to me anyway, is so hard to get the 'feeling' right.  My current fav is the new shrapnel one that moves 4/6/3 to load some extra weapons, while keeping the iconic (and terrible feeling) 3 jump.  I always said 4/6 is what the 2D variant should have been from the start.

Isokrates

• Warrant Officer
  • Dare to love the LGR.
« Reply #3 on: 29 April 2024, 06:12:17 »
Not bad, but any veteran of the 3rd Succession War would trade the extra heat sink for the last ton of armor... ;)

Well you can go with two ERMLs instead of the three MLs for little difference in heat and install that extra ton of armor

I am biased, but PPC plus LRM15 feels like a Griffin, even though it has some backup lasers and SRMs.  Its a bit pricy for a jack of all trades mech too.

The shadowhawk, to me anyway, is so hard to get the 'feeling' right.  My current fav is the new shrapnel one that moves 4/6/3 to load some extra weapons, while keeping the iconic (and terrible feeling) 3 jump.  I always said 4/6 is what the 2D variant should have been from the start.

pricey? how so?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #4 on: 29 April 2024, 08:45:19 »
The three MLs and twin SRM-4s plus a jump are a perfect 20 heat, hence my comment... ;)

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #5 on: 30 April 2024, 01:17:45 »
Wait, How exactly is it the "Ultimate CLAN INVASION" anything when it uses tech that doesn't come out till a decade after the clan invasion?
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

DevianID

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 30 April 2024, 02:00:22 »
pricey? how so?

So this shadowhawk is paying for 2 sets of weapons, a long range set with LRM and ERPPC, and close range set of 15 heat in stuff, and it doesnt have the heat to provide overlap fire which I consider kinda a hallmark thing of shadow hawks.  This is not the cheap generalist shadowhawk with overlapping weapons to support other units that it can fire all of and be heat neutral, this is a long range skirmisher plus a short range brawler.  It costs more then a wolverine 7k brawler, and more then a griffin 3m long range skirmisher. 

It loses the identity of the shadowhawk that fires all its weapons at all ranges while being heat neutral, for a specialized bracket fire mech that is worse at brawling a wolverine and long range skirmishing a griffin, but unlike other shadowhawks now its more expensive then both of them in BV.

I agree with you that the 3050 clan invasion shadowhawks needs love--your version is certainly way better then clan invasion shadowhawks, I just think it lost its identity as a 'hawk somewhere along the way.

Register