Author Topic: Blood name competition bragging before and after revival and WOR  (Read 2435 times)

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
Multiple times in the novels clan characters note that Pre revival clan battles were very small scale and when Phelan was going for his blood name it is also noted that candidates would recite sometimes very detailed personal histories and combat records.

My question is:

Did the invasion and WOR make huge changes in the bloodname competition? I would think it would have opened vast gulfs between those who got priority combat assignments and those who did not.

Pre revival I would imagine would be like: I am Hussein of the house of Howell and I have consistently scored highest in my sibko and defeated two bandits last year.

During revival: I am Hussein of the house of Howell and I helped seize a world by preforming a combat drop under fire, i personally claimed 7 Mech kills and prevented a dishonorable sneak attack from disabling our transports.

During WOR you would have intense combat but also from what I would assume less desirable opponents leading to statements such as: I am Hussein of the Howell house ( I know they are gone by then but work with me) I am worthy because I defended our house from two calls for reaving and I stopped a swarm of society/bandit caste rebels from seizing a Brian cache.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
If for example you were a ghost bear who killed a bunch of nova cats after they were abjured rather than some horses would that be as less valued?

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
You ask tough questions, lol.  I was hoping you'd get tough answers.

All bragging rights are important to Clanners, especially when it comes time for Trials of Bloodright and Trials of Position.  I think being part of the invasion of the Inner Sphere was a hogh honor so a warrior's accomplishments during Revival would take at least some precedence over another's accomplishments in the Home Worlds, generally speaking.  It largely depends on the accomplishments in question and how important they are to the Clan.

As for your specific example/question about a Ghost Bear warrior having killed multiple abjurred Nova Cats and whether or not that stacks up to killing a similar numver of Hell's Horses, it's probably just about the same.  Maybe a bit less, but both are considered enemies of the Clan.  The difference is likely very little.

Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
I think it would matter hence the distaste fir bandit hunting right? Who you fight matters

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
Absolutely. 
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
Absolutely.

So do you think a boasting warrior omit his or her actions no matter how successful against dezgra foes like the society?

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
How did the WOB or the manei domanai rate in terms of honor gained for defeating them?

Apocal

• Warrant Officer
Well, Dawn Moffett got back into Clan Steel Viper's good graces after being stripped of both her caste and clan for bringing them the head of the Usurper's final descendant, so it probably ranks pretty high on the scale to destroy dishonorable foes.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
So do you think a boasting warrior omit his or her actions no matter how successful against dezgra foes like the society?

The one case I can think of is special . . . Vlad boasted about hunting scum in the periphery IIRC, and used it as a taunt & reminder he captured Phelan.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
The one case I can think of is special . . . Vlad boasted about hunting scum in the periphery IIRC, and used it as a taunt & reminder he captured Phelan.

Lol makes his loss all the worse right?

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious

Lol makes his loss all the worse right?

Aff! It was also his way of saying, see!! These freebirth aren't anything special!! The periphery part of the invasion led to the clans under estimating the rest of the inner sphere, combined with garrison units on the border. Things changed once more elite units were rotated to the front with newer and better equipment.
« Last Edit: 18 June 2019, 15:02:34 by Foxx Ital »
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Oh they were screwing with each other the whole way through . . . I want to say after Vlad said that, Phelan scratched his face where Vlad's scar was located.  And one time before, Vlad casually hooked his thumbs in his belt framing Tyra's belt buckle.

But go back a bit, think of what it would have been like for up & coming warriors who had participated in the Annihilation of the Not-Named?  Or for Jags the Absorption of the Mongoose?  Or Horses/Coyotes that wiped out the Kindraa?

I am of the camp, you talk about the victories- it does not matter against who, you serve the Clan with every victory.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
Oh they were screwing with each other the whole way through . . . I want to say after Vlad said that, Phelan scratched his face where Vlad's scar was located.  And one time before, Vlad casually hooked his thumbs in his belt framing Tyra's belt buckle.

But go back a bit, think of what it would have been like for up & coming warriors who had participated in the Annihilation of the Not-Named?  Or for Jags the Absorption of the Mongoose?  Or Horses/Coyotes that wiped out the Kindraa?

I am of the camp, you talk about the victories- it does not matter against who, you serve the Clan with every victory.

Truth. The clans are all about one upmanship. The exchange between them shows that. What was the term they used for Whelan since he kept a pistol with him? A cockpit cowboy or something?
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face