Author Topic: Mercenaries Kickstarter Discussion 6: the 1st 3rd Star League conversation  (Read 68680 times)

FixDis

• Recruit
The Supersize Poster Set is probably what's driving your shipping cost up.  Like the neoprene battle mats, it's a big item that requires a large box to ship.
I hope to have the Supersized poster removed from my pledge if that is true; I didn't back for expensive "free" posters.

Aresneo

• Master Sergeant
I hope to have the Supersized poster removed from my pledge if that is true; I didn't back for expensive "free" posters.
Good news, the post you are quoting is completely false and the posters will have minimal effect on shipping price unless you bought an excessive number of pledge levels.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
Good news, the post you are quoting is completely false and the posters will have minimal effect on shipping price unless you bought an excessive number of pledge levels.

Yeah, like 99% of us are getting the poster pack. It's definitely not the cause. But do check the update to see about applying for the shipping assistance grant.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1

thedancingjoker

• Master Sergeant
Yeah, I highly recomend sending a polite message about shipping.  I sent one in asking about the shippiong charge being fairly high and asking for it to get double checked.  I even said that if it was accurate I would pay it in full.  Then they replaied and said it was accurate but offered me $75 off shipping (which would make it much more reasonable) or twice that in store credit.  Since I regularly buy things off the store I took the credit.  Much more than I was expected when I sent them the message to be honest, I wonder if they are being so barraged with vitriol and anger that a polite tone worked well.

2DarkWolf2

• Recruit
I did the same and messaged Catalyst and like others was given an offer of reduced shipping or store credit. I was happy with the smaller shipping discount which put it more in line with what I was expecting, very nice of them to do.

DW

Rebel Yell

• Master Sergeant
So I'm being charged $92.49 continental US shipping for the following items + the Savannah Masters:

Battalion pledge level
1    Mercenaries Box Set Exclusive
1    Map Pack: Savannahs
2    Mercenaries Forcepack: Inner Sphere Recon Lance
1    Mercenaries Forcepack: Battlefield Support Recon & Hunter Lances
1    Mercenaries Forcepack: Inner Sphere Heavy Recon Lance
1    Mercenaries Forcepack: Battlefield Support Battle & Fire Lances
1    Mercenaries Forcepack: Inner Sphere Battle Armor Platoon
1    Mercenaries Forcepack: Battlefield Support Objectives
1    Mercenaries Forcepack: Legendary MechWarriors Legendary MechWarriors III
1    Mercenaries Forcepack: Battlefield Support RIfle & Command Lances
2    Mercenaries Forcepack: Battlefield Support Heavy Battle & Sweep Lances
1    100mm Timberwolf (per backer)
1    Premium Record Sheets: Mercenaries
1    Supersized Poster Set
2    Salvage Boxes Clan Invasion (Shilone Aerospace Fighter)
2    Salvage Boxes Mercenaries (Visigoth Aerospace Fighter)
1    Salvage Box: Savannah Master [Individual]
2    Salvage Boxes Mercenaries (Blood Asp)
4    Salvage Boxes Mercenaries (BattleMechs)
1    Art of War
1    Officer's SWAG Challenge Coin Star League
1    Laser-effect "Chevron" Dice General Issue 16mm
1    Officer's SWAG Lapel Pin Clan Sea Fox
1    Graphic Novel PDF
1    Alpha Strike Bundle (Reward)
1    Core Rulebook Choice (Reward) - Interstellar Operations (Alt. Eras)
1    Clan Invasion Forcepack: ComStar - Battle Level II Image

Is this a reasonable price?

All I can say is that UPS will ship 100 lbs of material anywhere in the US for 122.65.

I doubt you've even got 50 lbs there.
3025-3039 The Glory days of BT. Everything after that can get off my lawn.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
It's not always about strict weight, but often about dimensional "weight." If a package doesn't fit a certain size, it gets expensive fast, and that's up to the shipping company (USPS, UPS, FedEx, DHL, whatever).
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel

thedancingjoker

• Master Sergeant
Yeah, I've been assuming all the shipping costs are due to the bulky dimensions of the Forcepack boxes, much more than the weight of them.

MarauderD

• Major
Do you apply for shipping assistance from the backer kit survey page or the Kickstarter page?

thedancingjoker

• Master Sergeant
Do you apply for shipping assistance from the backer kit survey page or the Kickstarter page?

I sent them a message by the main page of the kickstarter.  Click on the "Catalyst Game Labs" under the Created by section then click "Contact me."

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
They will get back to you - takes maybe a day or so. I just heard back this AM, and I am pleased with the offer.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

MarauderD

• Major
Thanks all, request made.

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
I also put in a request.  We'll see what the reply is.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
Who do you email??
Just want to make sure and try and see if any thing lowers.

Thanks in advance
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Aresneo

• Master Sergeant
Who do you email??
Just want to make sure and try and see if any thing lowers.

Thanks in advance
You are supposed to use Kickstarter's DM system, go to the Battletech Mercenaries page on Kickstarter, where it says "Created By" click on "Catalyst Games" then in the screen that comes up click on "Contact Me". Responses can take several days so be ready to wait.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
You are supposed to use Kickstarter's DM system, go to the Battletech Mercenaries page on Kickstarter, where it says "Created By" click on "Catalyst Games" then in the screen that comes up click on "Contact Me". Responses can take several days so be ready to wait.

Many Thanks
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
I'm now getting charged ~$108+VAT for shipping ~$1200 of product, and I'm good with that.

I'm still not happy about being charged VAT on the full value of the order when books are zero-rated in the UK, so I've messaged them to ask for the VAT to be recalculated correctly. It's only $25 difference, but that still matters.
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Rebel Yell

• Master Sergeant
It's not always about strict weight, but often about dimensional "weight." If a package doesn't fit a certain size, it gets expensive fast, and that's up to the shipping company (USPS, UPS, FedEx, DHL, whatever).

Definitely true, but you can put a lot of force packs in a box that's less than or equal to 165" length and girth combined with the longest side no more than 108".

UPS only charges extra if it's bigger than that and there's no reason for them to be trying to put everything into 1 giant box for bigger orders.
3025-3039 The Glory days of BT. Everything after that can get off my lawn.

Charistoph

• Major
Definitely true, but you can put a lot of force packs in a box that's less than or equal to 165" length and girth combined with the longest side no more than 108".

UPS only charges extra if it's bigger than that and there's no reason for them to be trying to put everything into 1 giant box for bigger orders.

Still, the density of Forcepacks aren't really that high, so the weight won't get it to being shipped by weight.  Books will be a changer as they are remarkably dense for their volume.  Unfortunately, most pledges won't be book heavy.  The main box will probably be closer, though, thanks to the punch-outs, even more for the special version.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Normie

• Recruit

Those are the rules for oversize packages, and they only charge that surcharge for those (if memory serves its pretty steep been awhile since I worked in a DC with product that long). That isn't the same as dimensional weight.

A 20x20x20 box that weighs 5 lbs. will be a lot more expensive to ship than a 12x8x4 box that weighs 5 lbs. In the quote I ran on the UPS website it was almost 3 times as expensive, 39.32 vs. 13.30.

Where it gets interesting is that a 12x8x4 package that weighs 2 lbs. would cost 13.25, and at 20 lbs. the 20x20x20 box would cost 39.32 just like the 5 lbs. package.

It makes sense when you consider how much space it takes up on the truck because you could fit several 12x8x4 packages in the footprint of a 20x20x20 box.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
you also have to balance the cost of using multiple smaller boxes compared to using a bigger box.. while costs go up fast with bigger boxes, the cost of smaller boxes includes al to of the same base costs (to process, load into vehicles, etc), and unless the box is very big, it is likely that two smaller boxes is probably going to cost more in S&H than an equal volume of a single larger box. because you are paying the baseline fee components for two boxes instead of one. 

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
My shipping came down quite a bit.

It's still on the high side but within acceptable limits.
I just paid it to get it done with.

June is looking to be an interesting month.
I should have a rather large Geo-Hex Battlescape
lot coming in at the same time.
New mechs, new Vs, and new terrain all at the same time!
It'll be the best Christmas in June that I've ever had!

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
Mine went from $38 to $35, plus taxes. I'm not fussed. I wasn't fussed to being with. I sell on Ebay, and know how horrible shipping is right now. I watched USPS flat rate boxes go from $12 to $18.40 and rising in a very short time.

shivanwurm

• Lieutenant
More shipping update posted.

thedancingjoker

• Master Sergeant
Looks like shipping will be charged to credit card on Monday.

avon1985

• Major
Regimental level plus about $106 in add ons.  Shipping plus shipping tax $98,  sounded high at first but looking at everyone comments appears to be in line with what others are paying.  Still a bit of an ouch but will make it work. 

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
My pledge is Regiment (Legends II upgraded to the LE)+Somerset Strikers, a BFM, a Precentor Martial edition of Universe, a dice tray, an extra pair of dice and an extra patch as add-ons.  Total $960 paid in, plus $220.80 in VAT. 

My shipping total ended up as $79.58 plus $18.30 in additional VAT, ao around $100 in total to Ireland.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Teejay75

• Private
I'm satisfied with the shipping charges I received. $101 for a regiment plus $106 in add ons. They even gave me a $5 credit after removing the state shipping charges for Alabama. I figured I'd just ask them to put that in their tip jar. Now I just can't wait to get my hands on all of that lovely plastic crack!

klarg1

• Captain
I finally went and looked at my shipping charges and they are pretty hefty, but I also have a relatively large order. It may be right and proper.

I wouldn’t mind a spot check from CGL but I don’t think they owe me a rebate.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
I finally went and looked at my shipping charges and they are pretty hefty, but I also have a relatively large order. It may be right and proper.

I wouldn’t mind a spot check from CGL but I don’t think they owe me a rebate.

Drop them a message through Kickstarter. They might be able to help you out anyway.