Author Topic: 'Mech destroyed result-then what?  (Read 1362 times)

Desert Scribe

• Recruit
'Mech destroyed result-then what?
« on: 19 May 2024, 13:05:37 »
Hi, everyone! I'm still getting up to speed on Alpha Stike. In the quick-start rules, when a battlemech is destroyed by a critical hit, it's removed at the end of the turn. But I remember from playing Battletech decades ago that a 'mech could sometimes be taken out of commission (like if its cockpit was destroyed) and remain standing on the battlefield.

I guess it doesn't matter in Alpha Strike, since 'mechs don't block line of sight and the rules are a whole lot less granular, but since it might make a difference for salvage purposes in a campaign, I am curious:

Does anyone had any house rules for keeping a 'mech on the map when it gets destroyed but doesn't explode from an engine or ammo hit?

Charistoph

• Major
Re: 'Mech destroyed result-then what?
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2024, 15:20:31 »
Sometimes when we're playing a scenario where when unit dies and you go grab another, we leave the Dead Mech lying on the table for that cinematic feel.  There's nothing that requires it, but it does make for a fun photo op.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2024, 15:43:51 »
The free Chaos Campaign: Succession Wars along with some AS specific rules that you can find in https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=69605.msg1615288#msg1615288.  the post covers destroyed versus truly destroyed.  The old Alpha Strike Companion had some more involved rules, with modifiers based on exact crits taken and other results.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Desert Scribe

• Recruit
« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2024, 23:55:10 »
Thanks, y'all! Even though it doesn't make an in-game difference, I think I will leave destroyed mechs on the board with some white cotton smoke, or replace them with kitbashed wreckage.

Inxentas

• Corporal
« Reply #4 on: 03 June 2024, 05:00:58 »
It would be a simple houserule to leave destroyed 'Mechs on the table, and treat any LOS line passing through them as passing through woods (+1 to hit modifier) to represent having to shoot through the smoke.

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #5 on: 03 June 2024, 08:24:34 »
I think for a while, my group would leave destroyed mechs on the board, and that hex then became a rough hex. (Or rubble, I can't remember and it's been years since we stopped doing it.)
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

Register