Author Topic: MW5 Pre-Order is Upon Us.  (Read 45486 times)

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
Re: MW5 Pre-Order is Upon Us.
« Reply #240 on: 05 December 2019, 19:09:48 »
That was a much better trailer!

Although that could just be because the opening felt like a tribute the the MW3 opening cinematic  ;)

I'll still wait for it to come to GoG though.
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #241 on: 06 December 2019, 07:47:26 »
Maybe the budget was cut when they did this latest trailer. Maybe they outsourced folks who made vid, this time they went with someone else.  Newest one was not impressive.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #242 on: 07 December 2019, 15:05:51 »

I am looking into assembling a new Win10 PC soon, so I want to know if there are specific system requirements?
I am not looking for states but more specific hardware if possible.

Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #243 on: 07 December 2019, 16:24:17 »
I am looking into assembling a new Win10 PC soon, so I want to know if there are specific system requirements?
You're going to want above the minimum specs. A good chunk above, really.

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #244 on: 07 December 2019, 17:06:03 »

Updated specs from MW5 discord:
RTX will not be available on Day 1 of MW5's release, however it's super close and we'll announce the date for it soon! We want to just make sure it's as good as it can be once it becomes available!

On another note, we've updated our Minimum and Recommended System Requirements! See below:

Minimum System Requirements
CPU: Intel Core i3-7100/AMD Ryzen 3 1200
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770/AMD Radeon R9 280X
RAM: 8GB
OS: Windows 7, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 (64-bit versions)
HDD: 55GB free space
DirectX: Version 11

Recommended System Requirements
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K/AMD Ryzen 7 1700
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070/AMD RX Vega 56
RAM: 16GB
OS: Windows 7, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 (64-bit versions)
HDD: 55GB free space (SSD)
DirectX: Version 11

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #245 on: 07 December 2019, 17:42:04 »
I'm in the middle there so I guess I'm good.  :thumbsup:
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #246 on: 08 December 2019, 00:03:42 »
My desktop and work laptop are now below update minimum spec yet play the demo fine, though admittedly on lowed graphics levels. Will have to see how the full game performs and if I need to bring forward planned christmas gift to myself.

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #247 on: 08 December 2019, 05:49:17 »
Video Chums - Let's Play MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HtLFf-30TY

Basically 50 minutes of campaign (tutorial and first mission) with non-MechWarrior player. Loves third person too much. Pines of in-mission health regen.

It indicates demo is a good repesentation of what the finished product will be, aside from any minor bug fixes being promised. Demo HUD is live HUD. Tanks in first mission running through their own base shows AI quality is probably no better than in demo.

The overly static nature of unit members in Leopard is a worry :(

And Elias Toufexis is Sebastian Spears, he really is a BattleTech fan after all it seems.

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #248 on: 08 December 2019, 08:07:08 »
Did they ever say why the King Crab is the flagship mech for the game?

The same reason the Mauler was on the MW2 Mercs cover I imagine. It just looks cool!

I'm thankful that we have some pretty cool looking 'mechs in the Battletech universe.
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #249 on: 08 December 2019, 08:19:44 »
Not fan of them adding Nightstar with gauss rifles in 3017 unless the beta allows for that.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

kato

• Captain
« Reply #250 on: 08 December 2019, 08:46:06 »
The overly static nature of unit members in Leopard is a worry :(
That should be fairly easy (quick) to fix with the engine - they already follow the character with the head (within a certain angle), just turn the rest of the body towards the character too once in interaction.

kato

• Captain
« Reply #251 on: 08 December 2019, 13:00:49 »
Video has been taken offline as to be expected.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #252 on: 08 December 2019, 13:54:36 »
The same reason the Mauler was on the MW2 Mercs cover I imagine. It just looks cool!

I'm thankful that we have some pretty cool looking 'mechs in the Battletech universe.

The difference is that the Mauler is actually associated with the time period that Mechwarror 2 Mercenaries is set in, while the Giant Enemy Crab is not much associated with the early 31st Century and was, in fact, nearly extinct by that point.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #253 on: 08 December 2019, 20:42:21 »
Not fan of them adding Nightstar with gauss rifles in 3017 unless the beta allows for that.
It's an arcade mode beta. Much like playing Instant Action missions in Mechwarrior 4.

Less a representation of the earlygame, and more a representation of the late, late, lategame. Not like you can drop with a full lance of Fafnirs with every mission in MW4 Mercs vanilla.
« Last Edit: 08 December 2019, 20:45:05 by Caedis Animus »

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #254 on: 10 December 2019, 09:15:10 »
Pre-order Keys have dropped! Go! Go! Go!

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #255 on: 10 December 2019, 12:32:33 »
First couple missions are fun--no spoilers.

Overall, the graphical improvements over MWO are immense.  Better 'Mech' feel.  Light mechs feel sprightly, but not like anime mecha. 

I'm in a place with job and home commitments I think my 30 minutes I squeezed in this morning may be my last until Christmas.  Oh well!

Best,

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #256 on: 10 December 2019, 12:40:27 »
First couple missions are fun--no spoilers.

Overall, the graphical improvements over MWO are immense.  Better 'Mech' feel.  Light mechs feel sprightly, but not like anime mecha. 

I'm in a place with job and home commitments I think my 30 minutes I squeezed in this morning may be my last until Christmas.  Oh well!

Best,

Ah, good. So there's "heft" to the machines, if you will? I've been encouraged by the Ars article describing the experience after binding controls to a HOTAS setup: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/12/how-mechwarriors-return-took-me-back-to-the-early-90s-mall-in-my-mind/
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #257 on: 10 December 2019, 13:15:33 »
Oh yes - definitely heft - and running into a building will slow you down.

The first few missions, are yes very fun, but....would have been nice to skip the first mission entirely, as having playing MWO since closed Beta Days, I am quite familiar with how to work my mech, lock on, etc.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Leondus

• Recruit
  • Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
« Reply #258 on: 10 December 2019, 13:21:57 »
I got a feeling before the end of this month there's going to be two or three critical updates so I'm going to wait before I buy but I've already got my machine well past recommended specs

mechnut450

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #259 on: 10 December 2019, 15:40:28 »
downloading now ( been at  work all day.)  I will attempt to video a few minutes of play for teasers if anyone wants lol.. I dont have best system but it above the recommended ones right now.

Leondus

• Recruit
  • Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
« Reply #260 on: 10 December 2019, 19:35:17 »
downloading now ( been at  work all day.)  I will attempt to video a few minutes of play for teasers if anyone wants lol.. I dont have best system but it above the recommended ones right now.
I would love a video to see the starting next mechs or mech, I'm hoping it random

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #261 on: 10 December 2019, 20:45:21 »
I would love a video to see the starting next mechs or mech, I'm hoping it random

Centurion that then gets Beat to heck, then run a Javelin, then recruit a pilot with a Jenner - then the campaign begins in earnest

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #262 on: 10 December 2019, 20:54:44 »
PCGamer did their review.  Says The AI needs work and the story/acting is garbage, but everything else is wonderful.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Leondus

• Recruit
  • Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
« Reply #263 on: 10 December 2019, 22:59:28 »
PCGamer did their review.  Says The AI needs work and the story/acting is garbage, but everything else is wonderful.

Cool :)
But I'm at 23GB of data and roll over to 1024GB is not until the 1st :(

Stormforge

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #264 on: 11 December 2019, 10:34:11 »
Some bad level design going on with this game.

Started a mission where my mech wasn't even finished starting up and I was being fired upon. Another mission I moved 600-700m from my spawn location, killed some enemies, and then was being pummeled in the back from some enemies that spawned in at my start point. Defense missions where if you move away from the objective there are enemies spawning right on top of you around 10m or so. Not being dropped just appearing.

They could have just randomly placed, say 10 or so, spawn locations around the map. Run a script to determine the player(s) mech's location. From that pick a location 1500-2500m from the player. Then spawn in the units with a waypoint to the closest player, closest objective to the player, or even leave them static at that location for some missions.

Not even going to touch upon the AI pathfinding. Especially friendly units in Defense missions.

Am I liking the game overall? Yes, but there are things, like the above, that are completely breaking the immersion. A bit frustrating at times too.
If the enemy is in range most likely so are you.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #265 on: 11 December 2019, 10:50:31 »
Some bad level design going on with this game.

Started a mission where my mech wasn't even finished starting up and I was being fired upon. Another mission I moved 600-700m from my spawn location, killed some enemies, and then was being pummeled in the back from some enemies that spawned in at my start point. Defense missions where if you move away from the objective there are enemies spawning right on top of you around 10m or so. Not being dropped just appearing.

They could have just randomly placed, say 10 or so, spawn locations around the map. Run a script to determine the player(s) mech's location. From that pick a location 1500-2500m from the player. Then spawn in the units with a waypoint to the closest player, closest objective to the player, or even leave them static at that location for some missions.

Not even going to touch upon the AI pathfinding. Especially friendly units in Defense missions.

Am I liking the game overall? Yes, but there are things, like the above, that are completely breaking the immersion. A bit frustrating at times too.

The issue is, the maps are all random, being built of tiles. Think, of the map being a 4x6 grid pattern, and the map-builder has 100 different tiles to choose from. So, 4 of those tiles must be a corner tile, and then between those corners 2 side tiles on the left/right, and 4 side tiles for Top and Bottom. Then, in the middle 8 non-side tiles. So, the calculations for spawn locations and waypoints would infintesimal to account for every permutation of the tile arrangements.

I played two years ago a very rough pre-alpha at mech-Con, in my mission the map generated had the Drop Ship land on top of a mountain that I needed to scale down to get to the objective. The person after me on the same mission got a virtually flat plain to traverse to the objective.

The Tile idea is fabulous as it allows for a near infinite variety of maps (I am assuming only certain campaign centric maps will be the same for all players - i.e. the First Raid mission for the player to find 3 supply crates), but all generic missions are random. the kicker is sometimes, the map algorithm will throw a wrench into the works and give a whoopsie map. head-Canon/hand-wavium it to bad intel ;)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #266 on: 11 December 2019, 10:55:48 »
Reminds me of the non-story missions in Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries.

Though the being fired upon immediately after the map loads reminds me of a couple really bad Mechwarrior 2 core game missions.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Stormforge

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #267 on: 11 December 2019, 11:38:58 »
The issue is, the maps are all random, being built of tiles. Think, of the map being a 4x6 grid pattern, and the map-builder has 100 different tiles to choose from. So, 4 of those tiles must be a corner tile, and then between those corners 2 side tiles on the left/right, and 4 side tiles for Top and Bottom. Then, in the middle 8 non-side tiles. So, the calculations for spawn locations and waypoints would infintesimal to account for every permutation of the tile arrangements.

I played two years ago a very rough pre-alpha at mech-Con, in my mission the map generated had the Drop Ship land on top of a mountain that I needed to scale down to get to the objective. The person after me on the same mission got a virtually flat plain to traverse to the objective.

The Tile idea is fabulous as it allows for a near infinite variety of maps (I am assuming only certain campaign centric maps will be the same for all players - i.e. the First Raid mission for the player to find 3 supply crates), but all generic missions are random. the kicker is sometimes, the map algorithm will throw a wrench into the works and give a whoopsie map. head-Canon/hand-wavium it to bad intel ;)

Even building the maps from tiles you should be able to pre-place spawn locations then run a script to determine a good spawn location. Pathfinding with waypoints would be more difficult and may end up with units getting stuck on their way to it.
If the enemy is in range most likely so are you.

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #268 on: 11 December 2019, 12:21:54 »
So I haven't played this game yet, and I probably won't for a long time.  Therefore my opinion is based on the reviews and opinions of others.

I read the PC Gamer review and I can't stand how PGI really shortchanged the fluff in the game.  Spelling errors, really?  The dialogue, voice acting, and so on really deserved better.

While the 'mech combat may be great, physical attacks are still absent.  To the PC Gamer reviews point, physical shouldn't be an issue these days and are really doable. I might as well keep playing MWO for the 'mech combat till it dies instead of buying this game just to hear and see poor story delivery along with the combat.

Another thing that gets me is some folks saying if we don't support this game, it's going to kill Mechwarrior games for sure.  I see it this way:  What's going to kill Mechwarrior is subpar development putting out a lousy product.  Blame on the playerbase is grossly misplaced.

If I win the lottery, I want to buy the Mechwarrior license and develop the game we've desired for years :D
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #269 on: 11 December 2019, 12:46:20 »
Another thing that gets me is some folks saying if we don't support this game, it's going to kill Mechwarrior games for sure.  I see it this way:  What's going to kill Mechwarrior is subpar development putting out a lousy product.  Blame on the playerbase is grossly misplaced.

Don't know who's saying that, but I'll second that in life in general you should never reward someone for phoning in their job.  If they're not willing to put actual effort into the product they don't deserve support.