Author Topic: I....I think I have an addiction  (Read 4818 times)

DOC_Agren

• Major
Re: I....I think I have an addiction
« Reply #30 on: 16 July 2018, 21:56:58 »
All donations can be mailed directly to me. Just because their unpainted doesn't mean I can't field an army of them.

Course I'll have to assemble them first..... hmmmm their might be a problem in my plan......
No assrmbling them is the 1st step toward loosing immortality   :thumbsup:
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #31 on: 17 July 2018, 05:23:14 »
I was going to add my bit to the list, when I realised I do have a compulsion, I own unpainted, in blister with the exception of the super heavy tripods 1 each all of the mechs since 1986 and 1 each of the same either primed, primed and based or painted and based. should we form  support group?

We already did form a support group. This is it.

Well, more an enabler's meeting than support group. But this is still it.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #32 on: 17 July 2018, 07:49:52 »
You'll never believe this 12-step plan discovered by a surburban wargamer!

(Step 7 involves mailing the minis to Worktroll!)
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Xiwo Xerase

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #33 on: 17 July 2018, 08:51:48 »
I don't know that I have an addiction.  I'm pretty sure I don't know my limits though.

I have plans for most of my collection (800-ish unpainted, although a lot of that is plastic minis from the lance packs) and all of my acquisitions.  I have this crazy plan to paint units (meeting the Call to War criteria, so 400 PV (now rebalanced to account for the new PV changes!)) containing at least one of all current 'Mech sculpts available from IWM (and some that don't exist yet, like the Ursa URA-2A and most of the Classics).  I just have no idea how long it will take or if this is feasible in my lifetime.  (I don't paint or assemble very quickly but I'm hoping I improve in efficiency and quality as I paint and assemble more.)

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 17 July 2018, 20:16:25 »
This thread makes me feel less bad about my life choices. It's like an AA meeting.  Thank you, everyone.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #35 on: 17 July 2018, 20:18:05 »
I don't know that I have an addiction.  I'm pretty sure I don't know my limits though.

I have plans for most of my collection (800-ish unpainted, although a lot of that is plastic minis from the lance packs) and all of my acquisitions.  I have this crazy plan to paint units (meeting the Call to War criteria, so 400 PV (now rebalanced to account for the new PV changes!)) containing at least one of all current 'Mech sculpts available from IWM (and some that don't exist yet, like the Ursa URA-2A and most of the Classics).  I just have no idea how long it will take or if this is feasible in my lifetime.  (I don't paint or assemble very quickly but I'm hoping I improve in efficiency and quality as I paint and assemble more.)
It okay the longer it takes the longer you have to live
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Xiwo Xerase

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #36 on: 17 July 2018, 21:48:33 »
It okay the longer it takes the longer you have to live
I have already accepted I've probably attained SABLE (stash accumulation beyond life expectancy).  I may not succeed in painting them all but I'll try!

RABIDFOX50

• Warrant Officer
  • 1507 Strike RCT
« Reply #37 on: 18 July 2018, 21:51:43 »
I’ve been collecting since 1987. When I retire in 8 years, I “might” have all my CBT minis painted. I keep adding to the collection so I may just tell the wife to bury them with me.  :D
Battletech collector/player since 1987
Toss a coin to your Witcher, oh valley of plenty!
Listen! Do you smell that?

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: 20 July 2018, 09:28:53 »
It's not a true metal crack habit until you have S L D F divisions of minis unpainted and 1 plus of painted  ::)

I like to pretend my closet is one of those SLDF equipment caches, filled with divisions of pristine, unused Battlemechs.

Much like a Successor house, I'm sure I'll dig them up centuries from now, (having forgotten they were there), and use them to fill out my ranks.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 20 July 2018, 15:21:29 »
My current collection of unpainted minis...Not including the 20-30 Unseen minis I recently picked up.

And before some sicko asks...no, that is a STATIC GRASS APPLICATOR...Get yer mind out of the gutter sicko :P

I don't see that as being that many, enough to qualify as an addiction.  Now if it was say 5-10 times that..  Then it might.
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #40 on: 20 July 2018, 15:25:32 »
But that's how all addictions start ;)
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #41 on: 20 July 2018, 17:12:54 »
My addiction isn't strictly BattleTech.  I see a figurine that I like, and usually I think 'This would look great painted'.

A lot of Fantasy Flight stuff would look good painted. I've made small dents in my Star Wars Armada fighter and small ship collection. I thankfully haven't really started on the figures of the Rebellion board game, but it will look nice to see all those storm troopers in black and white.

I've started working on the heroes and some of the more common creature groups from Descent, journies in the dark. These and the BattleLore figures all have multiple uses, too.

Having playtested the Robotech RPG Tactics, I have a couple starters worth of stuff that I want to finish up (especially the Zentradi) so that I can finally do games for a campaign I have in mind I'm calling The Chicago Incident, and showcasing a BattleTech compatible anime combat system.

I grew up with a few Megaforce die-cast tanks. These suckers are a great entry point for war-gaming, and I've been hunting down to fill in a good platoon's worth of each of the twelve, plus any of the Mega mobile structures that were the real fun part of the toy line. They have wonderful detail, and a simple wash plus tread treatment is all that some need to be play-ready.  Use those for modern-style tanks and armored equipment for said anime style combat, and I'll be good to go.

I have a copy of Centurion that came with 15 grav tank figures to a side. While the person who had it last did an admirable job of painting them, I want to redo the ToG tanks to look more akin to what you find with Star Wars' rebellion ships.

Thunder Road car teams are detailed enough they will look good painted up.

And, then, there's all the variations due to fixation with scale. I've actually picked up Star Wars Risk as well as a friend's beat up Star Wars BattleShip game and some of these funky game cube things you can get from Target, all because Fantasy Flight's CR-90 Tantive IV is not to-scale with the fighters and smaller large ships, like the falcon. I wasn't sure if I'd ever be able to kitbash one that's more appropriately scaled, or that the Collector Toy would be close enough, let alone if I'd ever find one.  (I did find one, and it's close, but got some issues.)  So, I've been kitbashing a fleet of TIEs as well as X-Wings.  Thanks to the BattleShip game, I have passable Bombers and A-Wings, and all I need are a couple Micro Machines B and Y wings to fill the gap in the Rebel Line-up.  Just to fit the scale closer to 1/500.

I found that my dabbling in Heavy Gear by their Armada line, as well as my two Jovian Chronicles purchases, they're closer to 1/500 scale as well.  That prompted me to pick up the BattleForce Scale Mechs for proper cross-over visual appeal. I've found that many BT vehicles work better at this scale, too, volume-wise.

Same issue with my collection of Star Trek Attack wing. Didn't like the schizzophrenia of scale.  Found two scales that I like, though a third is possible thanks to EagleMoss and Micro Machines. But, because a lot of ships come closer to it, I picked up some of the Revel 1/2500 scale models to work with the ClickTech Klingon Birds of Prey and Jem Hadar attack ships.

While I like the Kurita BT Infantry that I've amassed, I've found that they're very setting specific, and I wanted something to run more generic factions in.  Most stuff is geared toward smaller 1/300 and looks funny next to cars and tanks of the 1/285 or 1/250 nature. Dark Age Infantry are generic enough and just a touch large, but it's easier to imagine it's the gear bulking them up, along with steroids and foot-ball athlete levels of training. So, I've been working on those.

And, I dabbled a little bit in Epic 40k enough that I've modded what few Orks I have so that I have a propper couple WarBosses, and some recognizably different Nobbs for when I have that cross-over battle.

Finally, I will leave you with a shot of my still growing and morphing Map Scale figure collection, which I've been bashing together for a few years and painting up. This is thanks to Dark Age Infantry and other bits from the plastic mech line.  I wanted something to show the true scale of the game.  Figured they'd never make the unseen, but I might be able to convince IWM to make sculpts for the stuff that is free of copyright issues, and it bloomed from there.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #42 on: 20 July 2018, 17:18:04 »
Oh. Did I forget to mention the large collections of Monsterpocalypse that I plan on repainting some tanks for? I'm looking at doing an October Guard in metallic red.

Edit: Or the goal of painting up a fair number of colored teams based on the Risk 2210 MOD figures?

And the latest Risk game has some really cool stuff in it, too, that would look good painted.

Yeah. My addiction's a little different.

« Last Edit: 20 July 2018, 17:21:04 by Daemion »
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics