Author Topic: Who is your favorite mercenary unit? Why?  (Read 39207 times)

E. Icaza

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
Re: Who is your favorite mercenary unit? Why?
« Reply #30 on: 12 September 2018, 09:04:50 »
Gray Death Legion because the books were some of my first BT books and because of the recovery of the Helm Core.

Grave Walkers because my beloved Jade Falcons kept chewing them up and spitting them out, but they still kept coming back.  I respect tenacity in an enemy.
The Clans: the Star League the Inner Sphere deserves, not the one it needs.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #31 on: 12 September 2018, 09:26:31 »
Greenburg's Godzillas

A Merc Company along the lines of DOG the Bounty Hunter, COPS and similar sorts of DocuDramas.

The next best thing about GG's...their 'Mechs have sponsorship Logos all over them. Think Formula One Car Racing or NASCAR but with 'Mech's

Mmmmmmmmmmmm...gonna have to paint me up some Greenburg's one of these days!
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #32 on: 12 September 2018, 14:00:37 »
SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! all up and down the leg and CHICKEN! on the backside of a Warhammer...

CityTech sourcebook.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #33 on: 13 September 2018, 00:52:12 »
Grey Death Legion due to their historic role and skillful use of combined arms.
Gordon's Armored Cavalry, I guess because I liked the family business angle.
Shoot first, laugh later.

Geont

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #34 on: 13 September 2018, 01:15:48 »
Probably Chaos Irregulars because novels although they changed to regular unit (1st Rim Commonality Guard).
And second would be 21st Centauri Lancers because of their grudge against CapCon.
Born in Czechoslovakia and living in Czechia (or Czech Republic).

Fan of FWL

Wereling

• Master Sergeant
  • Professional Fool
« Reply #35 on: 13 September 2018, 15:12:21 »
I've always been partial to Battle Magic. I like the idea of a mercenary R&D group.

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #36 on: 16 September 2018, 18:56:37 »
Eridani Light Horse-light raiders with a traditional flare.
Gray Death Legion-I liked their start and Grayson's guts.
Wolf's Dragoons-The best and biggest and willing to stay independent.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #37 on: 16 September 2018, 21:32:14 »
SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! all up and down the leg and CHICKEN! on the backside of a Warhammer...

CityTech sourcebook.

TT
;D
Loved that story
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #38 on: 17 September 2018, 11:18:26 »
I loved the GDL in the first three books, where they were skin-of-their-teething existence.  They had both jumpships and dropships, but how they got them were played out and made sense in-story, and the dropships were fake Unions made from cargo haulers.  When they got their own battle armor and factories, and Greyson started playing in-universe MechCommander matches against Jaime Wolf for charity is when I started losing that first love...

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #39 on: 17 September 2018, 14:41:03 »
Wolf's Dragoons.

Back in the second edition box each of the five Great Houses employed one of the five included Mercenary commands, and the Merc's logo shared the color of its employer's logo.

Since I chose the Combine as my faction (they were the closest thing BattleTech had to an Evil Empire at the time) and they employed the Dragoons, they became my favorite mercs.
I have spoken.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #40 on: 18 September 2018, 03:00:24 »

Lone Wolves.  They're gritty, they exemplify the mercenary mindset, they're always one step ahead, and they always turn a profit.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Highball

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #41 on: 19 September 2018, 23:30:50 »
Big units - Lexington Combat Group .... I loved their back story

Small Units - Miller's Marauders .... because who doesn't love a battalion of MARAUDERS!
Marshal Russell Trest Oberlan. "War to the sword ..... the sword to the hilt!"

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #42 on: 20 September 2018, 00:41:37 »

Small Units - Miller's Marauders .... because who doesn't love a battalion of MARAUDERS!
Me. for one.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #43 on: 20 September 2018, 09:17:33 »
The Wolf Hunters in their original incarnation, and the Big MAC (only because of my choice of factions). I don’t really care for mercenaries in general, though.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #44 on: 20 September 2018, 09:39:28 »
Wolfe's Dragons. A little bit of competence mixed with plenty of delusions of grandeur.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Armond

• Sergeant
« Reply #45 on: 21 September 2018, 07:07:07 »
15th Dracons.  Don't exist anymore, but when they did, they were awesome.  Legacy built upon Star League ancestry/origins with a penchant for philanthropy as well.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #46 on: 21 September 2018, 11:06:31 »
Team Banzai.  Loved every bit of the backstory, the references, the mad doctor that was also an elite mechwarrior?

What wasn't to like?

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #47 on: 21 September 2018, 18:18:16 »
Another contender for me would be Wyld's Jokers, but they were only ever mercs on a technicality. On the other hand, they have the best worst special unit ability ever.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: 23 September 2018, 04:58:24 »
I have a few to be honest:-

Wolf's Dragoons - battered and brused but surviving and as I can't settle on a house or clan probably the most consistant game world faction i've followed.

Grey Death Legion - They got me into the game via decision at thunder rift.

Eridani Light Horse - Love the traditions, shame they have been killed off.

Millers Marauders - Who doesn't love a unit of Marauders and not only do I share the surname of the units commander, but when introduced in the original Federated Suns book we also have the same initial.

Tamar Pikemen - My winning entry for merc units to be included in the 2nd SW book, so gotta like them.

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #49 on: 01 October 2018, 10:08:22 »
I loved the GDL in the first three books, where they were skin-of-their-teething existence.  They had both jumpships and dropships, but how they got them were played out and made sense in-story, and the dropships were fake Unions made from cargo haulers.  When they got their own battle armor and factories, and Greyson started playing in-universe MechCommander matches against Jaime Wolf for charity is when I started losing that first love...

Agreed.  The GDL has always been a source of inspiration and courage.  They had 3 bad hands and played them in a way that won in the end.

Phalanx

• Corporal
« Reply #50 on: 08 October 2018, 19:26:11 »
Big Units: Northwind Highlanders(enjoy the use of scottish bagpipes to herald their arrival)

Smaller units: Able's Aces(love the balance of idealism and a unit that fights for democracy instead of a noble ruler)

Statesman:  Our Warlord.

Warlord:  Your Statesman.

-Liaofan

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #51 on: 09 October 2018, 22:08:53 »
Northwind Highlanders, a unit kinda liked until Jihad, when they weren't attacked by Wobbie forces, kinda made me wonder what deal they made
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #52 on: 09 October 2018, 23:35:14 »
kinda made me wonder what deal they made

Something to do with a few Regiments of Royal Highlanders and the fact that they took many clantech weapons from Huntress and / or bought them straight from the Foxes themselves...

Not really hard to make a IIC from a Standard 732 / 733, the 732b uses DHS but everything else is bog standard. Would you fight a full regiment of IICs without Warship support? Not to mention they have some of the best techs in the universe who fought the clans in one of the most bloodiest battles? AND even more scarier is the fact most of their lightest mechs barely weigh less than 50 tons?!? These people like to assault you with everything including that haggis they were cooking for snack time! Not to mention their taste of music... wailing bagpipes anyone?  8) Would you rather face a clan Binary of TC-pulse mechs or a Lance of Highlander-733C leading an Emperor-6A and paired Wyvern-5N's in a city?

Not to mention all that clan loot they brought back...

TT

EDIT: For better clarity and wording structure.
« Last Edit: 09 October 2018, 23:42:19 by truetanker »
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Mecha-Anchovy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #53 on: 09 October 2018, 23:36:23 »
Romanov's Crusaders and the Knights Defensor spring to mind, if only because I really like the Space Knights Neo-Chivalric thing in BattleTech. We have an awful lot of grubby mercs out for cash, and while that's a fun trope, it does get a bit one-note after a while. But the idealistic mercenary companies are also interesting.

The Heart of Blake, for similar reasons. What a tragedy. :'(

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #54 on: 10 October 2018, 01:11:14 »
Romanov's Crusaders
Aren't Romanov's Crusaders for all intents and purposes the 3rd Knights of the Inner Sphere?

Northwind Highlanders, a unit kinda liked until Jihad, when they weren't attacked by Wobbie forces, kinda made me wonder what deal they made
Wasn't the reason because the WOB considered them descendants of the SLDF and wanted to preserve them and so took the soft approach rather than Palmyra-ing them from orbit?

I won't lie, it's flimsy as all hell, but Blake knows what goes on in those cybernetic brains...

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #55 on: 10 October 2018, 01:15:19 »
Not sure about saving them as SLDF remnants, but didn't they basically strand them on the planet by capturing their fleet IIRC.

Not much you can do when you don't have JS to get out of the system.

Who needs to fight 5 regiments of mechs when you can capture a dozen JS & leave behind some assault droppers to make sure nothing leaves the planet.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #56 on: 10 October 2018, 01:22:26 »

Who needs to fight 5 regiments of mechs when you can capture a dozen JS & leave behind some assault droppers to make sure nothing leaves the planet.
Because there's always the danger of someone else jumping in to spring the tiger from the trap. The WOB could have nuked them from orbit at any time, and would have if elimination was their objective.

I can't remember WHY they were spared though.

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
« Reply #57 on: 10 October 2018, 01:47:51 »
I have a soft spot for tge Grey Death. Decision at Thunder Rift was my first Btech novel the year it published. That book has shaped how i see mercs in Btech ever since.
More recently, I really like the Chao Irregulars stories. As silly as Mech gymnastics was, I think the stories were well written and the unit is easy to like.

But my favorite by far are The White Hawkes; a scrappy merc company perpetually on the verge of financial ruin set in 3026. Lead by disgraced FWLM Captain, Deacon Hawke. 😁
I've played them, or versions of them, for decades now. 😊

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #58 on: 10 October 2018, 14:34:42 »
Because there's always the danger of someone else jumping in to spring the tiger from the trap. The WOB could have nuked them from orbit at any time, and would have if elimination was their objective.

I can't remember WHY they were spared though.

As I remember, the WOB whispered "quietly, quietly," to everyone in orbit and jumped out.  And the Highlanders assumed they were still there and never checked.  And no one else did either.

Or so they say!  Dun dun DUN!

(I hate the Highlanders and the passes they receive, so I may be biased.  A little.)

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #59 on: 10 October 2018, 18:57:34 »
The Blazing Aces, my first employers. :)

Register