Author Topic: (AU) Ian Davion, Golden Lion (Complete, Comments welcome)  (Read 46334 times)

AlphaMirage

• Major
The recent amusing What ifs inspired me to write a short AU.  Really I just wanted to feature Hanse Davion more because he's such a magnificent bastard but is dead in my current AU.  This will be less Grimdarky and more snarky than my Katherine Chronicles

-----
Chapter 1 – The Golden Lion Roars
New Avalon 02/17/3039

“I am going to get you big brother!” crackled over the radio in young Captain Ian Davion’s Marauder currently walking through a narrow pass.  “Ooh I’m shaking in my neurohelmet sis.  You won’t get that transfer to the Rangers at this rate.  Where are you anyway?  I have a date tonight, you’re not the only woman interested in my time.”
“The only person you have a date with is Death.” 

Two Phoenix Hawks jumped from one of the ridges nearby painted light gray with the seal of the 11th Avalon Hussars, one forward one behind.  “Now this is a strange ménage a trois.”
The same voice came over the radio, “Eww gross!  That’s something Andrew would say.  Eat laser Perv!”

The Phoenix Hawks fired their lasers damaging the heavy mech’s armor but the Marauder dropped one of them with a lucky cluster that killed the forward mech’s engine.  “Helen, I can’t believe your chest has got you into trouble in the simulator too.  Fine you win this one brother.”

The simulator screen blacked out and Ian exited the NAIS College of Military Science simulator pod.  The other two women exited, Helen, the moderately endowed blonde wearing a tight NAIS CMS sweater.  The other a brunette, looking much like her mother, wore a green jumpsuit similar to his but with a red trimmed rank plate, Subaltern, she was still on probation after graduating last year from Sakhara. “Davion, Y” was scribed across her left breast pocket in golden script.

“Yvonne, I knew you two were hiding in there.  You threw away all your mobility advantages in closed terrain.  You should have hit me in the swamp.  I would have been a sitting target.”

Her eyes were narrowed in anger but she knew he was right and calmed down, “You’ll just have to wait till Tancred comes back.”
She let out the most staged cry of anguish, “But that is going to be forever!”

Ian rolled his eyes at his twenty year old sister, so love-struck and distraught that her boyfriend had been recalled to Robinson by his father, “it’s like three months maybe four.
Anyway it’s a good thing he isn’t distracting you from training anymore.  Dad wants you good enough to ship out to David so he personally tasked with me beating you up until you can do the same.”
  She dropped her shoulders, flipped her braid over, and stomped off to the locker room.

“Bye Ian,” Helen blushed and smiled before following after her.

Ian walked out to see the next scheduled group of CMS cadets and gave them the all clear before walking out.  He smoothed out his red hair and walked back toward the lab where Riva Allard was working on something sciency.  She had given him the explanation but Ian was no scientist.  He nodded politely until she got bored and sent him away.  He found her, her brother Daniel, and his wife Megan in the lab.

“I didn’t expect to find such a full lab Riva.  That saves me a lot of walking, everyone I wanted to see is here already.”

The smallish bespectacled woman was beautiful, tragically she was too old for him, and already taken.  Also her father was Quintus Allard his father’s spymaster the man terrified him even though he was on the same side. “Pleasure as always to see you Prince Ian.  Please take my brother and sister-in-law away. I have so much work to do and they keep distracting me.”

Dan Allard gave her a hug, they looked very similar. Far more so than their half-brother Justin, current consort of Duchess Candace Liao in the St ives Compact.  “So much love sister, is it so terrible that we stop by to see you and dad every couple of years.”
“No, but right now you’re annoying me.  Your prince is calling, go to him.”
“Very well we will see you at dinner then.”
“And not a moment before I assure you.”

Ian, Daniel, and Megan walked the quad of the New Avalon Institute of Science taking in the remarkable landscaping.  The entire complex was established as one of his father’s first acts as First Prince, the Battle of Halstead Station, and the recovery of a treasure trove of technology and information from the Star League era.  To think what they could have done with the complete collection, the remainder of which had fallen into the hands of the Federated Suns ancient enemy, the Draconis Combine.

“Dan, what do you think of Melissa?  She is unproven but seems to have a good head on her shoulders.  Can she keep the Lyran end of the deal?”

“Everyone is a beginner once.  That said Melissa has good starting material.  Her mother is an exceptional woman and was an Archon without peer.  I think she will be fine as there are plenty of good people around her.  FYI Count Bradford of Coventry has apparently made an offer for her hand in marriage but its supposed to be a secret.  She told us anyway in the last transmission.”

Megan Kell laughed surprisingly jovial compared to her rather grim Father, she must take after her mysterious mother, "Maybe you should put your hat in the ring Ian."

Ian stopped and put his hands out, "Whoa!  I don't think so!  Mom was angling for Corrine Marik on her latest bride shopping trip.  You know I don’t have control over this as much as I would like.”

The trio laughed the rest of the way to the car, “Yes Blue Blood problems.  I very much understand.  I think your mother has your best interests and those of the Federated Suns well in heart however.”

Starfox1701

• Warrant Officer
Re: (AU) Ian Davion, Golden Lion
« Reply #1 on: 12 June 2018, 14:51:31 »
Need more

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #2 on: 13 June 2018, 05:35:43 »
So far, So good
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 13 June 2018, 12:42:46 »
02/18/3039 07:17 Castle Davion, New Avalon, Federated Suns

The First Prince’s office was very plain for being such a powerful place; a few knick nacks, three pictures (Ian and Hanse, Hanse and Dana, The Family), and the original Ian Davion’s grave flag were the only decorations otherwise everything was dark wood and books.  Hanse Davion, First Prince of the Federated Suns, still handsome and vital in his 50s was sitting behind his desk while Ian stood in his garrison uniform before him.

“Son, you’ve been a Captain for a week now. How do you like it thus far?”
Ian shifted slightly, “The bars are surprisingly heavy.”

Hanse nodded in approval, “Wait until you add more or wear the Sunburst Vest itself.”
“I’m hoping it’s a long time before I must bear such a burden.”
“As do I.  Ian I am sending you to the Commonwealth with the Kell Hounds when they rotate back in two months.”

The Captain cleared his throat, “Yes sir.”
“Do you have a problem with that?”
“No of course not.  You are the First Prince and my Father, I will go and do as you wish in service to the Federated Suns.  I merely didn’t expect to be going so far so quickly.”
“What did you expect when I called you in this morning then?”

Ian paused gathering his thoughts, “Reassignment to the Armored Cavalry after Yvonne ships out to the Eleventh.”

Hanse stood up from his chair and walked up to his brother’s grave flag, his son followed. “You are very much like him you know but I need you to be something different.  I understand your desire to see some action and feel as though you truly earned those Captain’s bars.  I felt the same way at your age and that is why you are a Guardsmen and not on the front line as I feared you might like it too much.”

Hanse turned around heading toward the window that overlooked Avalon City, “We can’t win the Succession Wars solely from the cockpit of a Battlemech.  It’s something I learned a long time ago, that doesn’t mean we don’t use it of course.”

He paused and looked a resin sculpt of his battle damaged Battlemaster after Halstead Station where both he and Dana almost died and would have if not for Yvonne Davion, “War will unfortunately always be a necessary tool for a Prince but there are others that are far more effective.”

“What do you mean?”

“I am sending you on a Diplomatic mission just as dangerous as a raid into the Confederation if not more impactful to the good of the Federated Suns. The Lyran Commonwealth is a powerful ally, one that we need to continue to court aggressively, friends can easily become enemies and nothing stays static for long in the Inner Sphere. 

As if to demonstrate that point reports indicate that Tormano Liao has returned to the good graces of Chancellor Romano and is currently seeking to undermine our relationship with the new Archon on behalf of his sister. 

Katrina I could trust, but Melissa is not as well known to me.  She was a smart young girl last I saw her but now she is a well-established woman with her own agenda.  I want you to ensure that we are higher on her list than they are. 

There is already grumbling in the Commonwealth about our alliance as they fear the Dragon might continue to build and strike at both of us if it feels threatened.  There is evidence enough to support that theory and it greatly concerns Duke Sandoval and I.  The DCMS has grown much faster than we had projected under Kanrei Theodore.

To that end I am sending you to Tharkad as an ambassador, military liaison, celebrity; you will be whatever they need you to be.  The goal is to ensure the Confederation doesn’t take away our best chance to end these Wars.” 

He put his hands on his son’s shoulders, “This task is far more difficult than any you have ever faced but I trust in your judgement and skill.  I have taught you what I know but you alone must put it into action while I can still provide guidance and support.”

They separated and returned to their original positions, “Additionally assuming the negotiations follow through to our satisfaction and the League gets their house back in order after this Andurien Crisis you may marry Corrine Marik, her father and uncle can be excellent allies if somewhat bristly at times with each other as much as others.  I would like them to see you excel as a statesman and Prince, things that are far more important to the Mariks than your Battlemech prowess.  Although she has at least one cousin and likely others in the League that would put that to the test if you give them cause to doubt in your abilities.

Perhaps you will even get a chance to meet her.  I hear she is a fine young woman.  If you do as well as I believe maybe you even impress them enough to eliminate any hesitance the Mariks have about the Steiners.  There is a lot of bad blood still between the League and the Commonwealth.  The last thing I need is my allies fighting one another at a particularly desperate time.”

“I understand.  What of Yvonne and my other assignments?”
“You have two months to get your affairs in order, which should be plenty of time. I don’t expect you to return for a while so if you can’t resolve it at least make a clean break rather than have it trail you across the Inner Sphere. 

As for your sister... well your mother is running her through the ringer as we speak.  She was very unhappy after hearing that Yvonne hasn’t made Leftenant yet and took it as a personal affront so you should have all the time in the world for other tasks. 

I personally think she arranged Tancred’s recall but don’t have any evidence,”
Hanse rubbed his short well-groomed beard, “and I don’t think Quintus would tell me even if I asked him.” 

Hanse let out a hearty laugh and smiled, “Yvonne will shape up if only to save herself and get as far away from New Avalon as quickly as possible.  I can’t wait to see what kind of trouble Dana is going to be for Andrew at Armstrong.  She has refined the art of aggressive mothering as much as I have redefined statecraft in our time. I for one am relieved to no longer be the sole target of her energies.”

“May I go now?”
“Yes, you have much to do before you head to the Commonwealth and I have many meetings to attend this morning.  You are dismissed Captain Davion.”

Ian saluted, about faced, and walked out of the office.

David CGB

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 13 June 2018, 19:11:29 »
much, much more of both please
Federated Suns fan forever, Ghost Bear Fan since 1992, and as a Ghost Bear David Bekker star captain (in an Alt TL Loremaster)

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 13 June 2018, 22:06:03 »
ok.....
Ians dead, Hanse is Prince, who da momma since its not Ms Steiner?
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 13 June 2018, 22:21:11 »
ok.....
Ians dead, Hanse is Prince, who da momma since its not Ms Steiner?

Dana Stephenson. Reference from this thread -
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=61862.0

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 14 June 2018, 00:16:02 »
ok much more sense
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 14 June 2018, 04:59:12 »
Great, more please.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 14 June 2018, 10:05:30 »
Great, more please.

much, much more of both please

Ask and it shall be delivered

---------------------------
Chapter 2 – Among Wolves
05/13/3039 03:17 Location – Dragoon Landing Site Bravo-3, Remus, Outreach

The Union Mark V FSS Valor landed at the illuminated pad, the thrust plume being redirected into a series of water filled trenches to dissipate the extreme heat and force while the spheroid Union’s landing legs deployed in the cloud of steam.  With the legs firmly on the ferrocrete they then lowered to allow the occupants to disembark onto an incoming black and red painted bus.  8 Mechwarriors, 4 Aerospace pilots and the ship’s crew boarded the vehicle that rolled back to the terminal.

Inside the terminal Colonel Jaime Wolf waited patiently beside a man and younger teenage girl.  A middle aged man with graying brown hair, battle scars cutting jagged white over tan skin on his left arm, a sleek prosthetic right one, and old burn marks on his face was the first out of the stairwell, “Patrick so good to see you again!”  The Wolf and Hound shared a quick embrace, “It has been what three years since you last visited?”

The Kell Hound separated and looked around, “Something like that.  I’m impressed Jaime, last time I was here this terminal was much less, well everything.”

“Rome was not built in a day and neither will Romulus nor Remus, although we are making exceptional progress.  My engineers currently expect everything to be done by forty-two.  If I remember correctly you were not entirely complete either last time we met.  How is the arm?”

“Excellent!”  He clenched his fist and did several other movements to showcase a smoothness of motion so unlike any other prosthetic they had seen, “I can finally get back in my Thunderbolt after a long hiatus.  My sister-in-law spent many long nights at NAIS working on making it perfect.  She said and I quote ‘This is perhaps my greatest masterpiece, and here you are going to use it to eat with a fork and wipe your bum normally.  My talents are clearly wasted on you dogs.’”

Raucous laughter erupted from all assembled, Dan Allard clearly hadn’t heard that before, “Classic Riva.”

“You are familiar with my sister and brother-in-law.  However, we have a special guest making his first state visit.”  Patrick stepped aside and another man stepped forward wearing his regular garrison uniform, “Jaime this is Prince Ian Davion,” a slightly older man with a strong military bearing stepped forward, “and Major Bishop Sortek, both of the Davion Heavy Guards.  We are taking them to see my cousin or rather technically they are taking us on their fancy new Union dropship.”

Megan Kell added blissfully, “It still has that new dropship smell, or rather lack of it.  I only need one air freshener.”

Patrick and Jamie both shook their head at that, “I am greatly flattered to be hosting you while your command circuit comes into alignment Prince Ian and Major Sortek.  Hanse Davion has been gracious to the Dragoons and we owe him a great debt of gratitude.  While we are on introductions this is my son Mackenzie and daughter Katherine.”

Mackenzie stepped forward with a firm handshake that turned into a hug and whispered to Ian, “Just a friendly warning, when you see Natasha run like hell and get out to somewhere with witnesses.”
“When?  Wait, who is Natasha?”
“You’ll know her when you see her.”
  He slapped the young Prince on the back and returned to stand beside his half-sister.

Colonel Wolf waved them through, “Let’s start the tour.  By the way if you are hungry breakfast will be on the way.  If anyone acts rather strangely just know we rarely get visitors here so do not look to deep into it.”

Starfox1701

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #10 on: 14 June 2018, 13:00:08 »
Uh oh Tasha is hunting princes lol

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 14 June 2018, 21:04:10 »
Natasha is always hunting. >:D
Well done story. :thumbsup:
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 15 June 2018, 08:04:23 »
05/20/3039 14:58 Location – Wolf Enclave, Remus, Outreach

Bishop Sortek and Mack Wolf walked the broad streets of the Dragoon’s private city together toward the firing range.  Both were wearing the battledress uniforms of their respective units which made Bishop stand out like a sore thumb, a speck of green on a tide of black and red.  They each had a holstered pistol on their belts but that didn't look as out of place. 

The men had hit if off in the week they had spent together each was tied to someone higher up in the chain and resented it.  They were both lifers and had a similar taste in blondes, booze, backgammon, and revolvers.  Both had piloted Enforcers for most of their careers although Bishop got a new prototype Mech on this assignment that he couldn't talk about yet.  They even had the same centerfold, MechJack's Miss April 3034, Alara “Kitten” Kaiten of Thraxa, in the back of their lockers.

“I keep trying to get the Colonel to hire at least one company led by me out to the Magistracy for training duty but he won't bite.  I'd be willing to take my fee out in trade if they don't have the creds.  It's not like we are getting any action on or off the battlefield now with all the rookies.  If you have the cred to pay our rates you want the Wolf's Dragoons! Not some puppies.”

As if to demonstrate, a SIBCo (Standard Instruction Basic Company Bishop figured) of Dragoons was crossing the street on their after lunch run.  The Sergeant continued the cadence as they passed while the two men waited for the 24 man group to clear the street.  “How many of these SIBCos are you training Mack?”

“Me personally?  Three a year typically, we might get six quality Warriors for further instruction if it’s a particularly good group, average is two or three.  The good ones that almost made the cut are assigned to the support units or referred to A list Merc groups.  The lower performance ones typically find their way into a lesser outfit out of Harlec but we keep a close eye on them.  This is my off cycle so I have to submit to training rather than render it.  Then we do six months on contract before rotating back to do it all over again.”

“What are they training you in now?”
“Strategy and Tactics for Integrated Interstellar Operations.  It's a lot of sim table time, I try to avoid going to the class and you have given me an excuse, thanks for that.  I will be deeply saddened when you depart.”

They arrived at the firing range and checked out regular rifles preparing for a shoot house scenario.  Both were Mechwarriors but they had trained in basic infantry tactics so this was for personal challenge.  Mack said he could do it faster than Bishop and drinks plus bragging rights were on the line.

Mack edged him out by 10 seconds and went back to his bag.  His CommPad was blinking noting that he had received a message during his time shooting.  He opened it up and checked his feed

TBW:  Nice try cub but I won our little bet, drinks on you!  Haha

Bishop went into his bag intending to check as well, “Hey, where’s my CommPad?  It was in here earlier.”
The Wolf let out a long exhale and leaned his head back, “I know where it is, you will get it back soon.  Drinks?”
“You want to get drinks now?  There might be something serious going on.”
“If there was anything serious going on you’d still know about it.  And yes I want to get drinks,”
  he muttered “because I won’t have the money to get my own for at least a month because of that damn Black Widow,” under his breath.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 15 June 2018, 10:26:01 »
Ian Davion walked across Cameron Square, the Dragoon’s had rebuilt much of the old Martial Olympiad complex and the Square was the most impressive section of the city.  It took up four city blocks with a massive Cameron Star landscaped in stone with many interlocking paths to walk making for a unique fractal design from above.  Even at ground level it looked spectacular, exotic plants from across the Inner Sphere grew in between the pathways in multicolored splendor, the smell of flowers drifted in between on the warm breeze. 

This was the nicest area of the city a stark contrast to the more standardized military town layout that made up the rest of the Enclave.  The area around the Square was built up and civilians milled about, he could see some Blackwell Industries execs and men in suits on their way to the tram he just departed from.  He looked at his CommPad again orienting himself toward the long end of the Star, Bishop had sent him an address and a request to meet.

“What are you planning Bishop?  My birthday isn’t for another three weeks.”

The building was one of the nicest apartment buildings he had ever seen, he took the elevator up and stopped by the door.  A display reading, “Come On In,” in bright multicolored letters marked the door he wanted.  He opened it and stepped into darkness, the display changed to “Do Not Disturb,” but he didn’t see that.  Ian stood there in partial darkness for a moment, “Alright Bishop, where’s my surprise?”

The lights turned on and an attractive redheaded woman appearing to be in her mid-30s maybe early 40s stood in the room wearing a half-shirt, slightly longer jacket, and combat pants and boots, with Bishop’s CommPad in her hands.  “Surprise Prince Davion.”

Ian attempted to open the door while still facing her but it was locked now, “You must be Natasha, Mack warned me about you.”
“Did he now?  He is always trying to ruin my fun.  Did he also happen to tell you that I am his Commanding Officer?”
“He didn’t mention that.  What do you want?”

She waked up very close to him, “I wanted to see the new Ian Davion myself. I knew the old one,” she put her hands on his chest and drew closer, “very well.  He was about as old as you are now when I first met him all those years ago.  He was a great Warrior and died in battle, there is no better life to live, always on the edge, not knowing if there is a tomorrow.  Exciting.”

He wasn’t sure whether it was excitement or terror that he was feel, “I’m afraid I don’t have much experience in that.”
“Then be prepared to learn something.  Boy.”

Lights out, I will forward this video from my favorite video game to kick start your imagination, not explicit but probably NSFW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kWd7Puspws

Return

Two days later Bishop and Ian reported to the Tetsuhara Proving Grounds for a Dragoon specific training exercise known as the Gauntlet.  Each of them would take their Heavy mech and duel against a light, medium, then another heavy Battlemech.  A tough test of skill that controlled for luck although it never hurt to have any as all the weapons were at full power. 

Ian had never actually been in combat or a live fire exercise and while confident was nervous. Bishop recognized the value in the training having fought DCMS Panthers, Gladiators, and Dragons or CCAF Firebees, Vindicators, and Cataphracts in his career.  Today they had a nice sampling courtesy of the Dragoons excellent salvage teams and the fact that Hanse Davion had the Wolves raid both of the FedSuns enemies as regularly as possible.

Bishop stood before his prototype mech while Ian stood next to his Marauder both men were wearing their cooling vests over their shorts and boots.  Jaime Wolf stood next to them waiting for their opponents, “Impressive, it looks like a Marauder but is clearly not one.”

“Aye, Colonel Wolf, its codename is currently Penetrator.  NAIS remade the old Hammerhands jump jet and Independence refitted a MAD-3M for testing at great expense.  The legs required heavy reinforcement, the chicken bones of a regular Marauder would snap eventually under the stress of landing so it needed a complete redesign. 

This unit is part of the first production run, they wanted me to test it anyhow so I appreciate you allowing us to do it here before our actual mission starts.  Your people can forward all the performance data back to them and make the design team very happy.”

“Of course Major.  Ah yes here are your trainers.”  A Warhammer, 2 Dragons, a Firebee and Panther, as well as two Vindicators in Dragoon’s colors arrived on the field opposite them.  The Warhammer stepped forward and its pilot disembarked using a chain ladder let down from the cockpit she was wearing very little under her cooling vest.

“Prince Ian, Major Sortek, this is our Chief Cadre Officer and Commander of the Black Widow Battalion, Natasha Kerensky.  Good Morning Natasha”
“Same Jaime”
“This is Major Bishop Sortek and his Penetrator”

Natasha looked it over whistling, “Ooh Penetrator, I like it, Boys with Toys and all.”
“And this is Prince Ian Davion.”

She winked at Ian, “We are already well acquainted”
Jaime Wolf looked at her then him, “Excellent, continue on with this morning’s exercise then Tasha.  I have other duties to attend to.”

He embarked on his Blue and Gold Archer heading back to the Enclave to run his planet and group.  Leaving the Davions in the capable hands of The Black Widow.

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 15 June 2018, 19:07:10 »
I wonder if Ian would consider the Black Widow's hands capable. >:D :thumbsup:
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 17 June 2018, 22:36:48 »
Chapter 3 – Playboy
06/11/3039 Location – Union Mark V FSS Valor en route to Gallery, Lyran Commonwealth

Ian Davion walked through the dropship's cavernous Mech bay currently filled with 8 battlemechs around a central staging port although there were only five active Mechwarriors aboard and three young teens (The Kell-Allard Trio Mark, Tempest, and Harrison).  The heaters in this area were on the fritz so the space was incredibly cold, the Techs said they could fix it on Gallery and Ian and everyone else had to put on their heavy red jackets, watch caps, and gloves while doing the daily maintenance for the Mechs.  He climbed the access ladder and walked out onto the platform toward his Red and Gold Marauder “Golden Lion” a Battlemech once operated by his Grandfather Andrew Davion. 

The man used it last during his campaign to eliminate the Mechwarrior Cabals and avenge the murder of his father (Ian's Great Grandfather Paul) before swearing to never take the field again.  The guilt of having shed the blood of so many of his fellow nobles even if for the good of the Suns still clung to him till his death.  It was still used as a cautionary tale for those that would seek to corrupt the ideals of the Federated Suns for their own selfish gain.  It didn't stop his uncle Michael from trying to take over the Suns by betraying his Father to the Capellan Confederation however. 

To be privileged with his Grandfather's Battlemech made Ian immensely proud it was a dream to pilot.  He climbed the access latter to check with his personal Tech dressed in his own red and gold heavy uniform playing with his portable diagnostic tool. “Morning Vance, what's on the schedule?” 
“We're actually pretty well caught up, I don't have anything for you today.”
“Well what am I going to do then?”

Vance smiled at him before tossing him a rag and pointing toward a can of wax, “Well you can wax it, those Lyrans are going to go crazy for this paint job.  I'm glad I had the Dragoon's shop when we fixed your mech up after they shot you up.  This is good stuff,” he put his hand just over the gleaming paint around the Marauder's cockpit, “way better than the paint used by the AFFS.” 

He activated a portable light unit mounted on the overheads, “Look at that gloss! 
I don't want you to get it shot up before I can bring a local round and, you know, engage in some international relations.”

The man turned and was about to head out, “Catch ya later kid, I'm gonna see who's on the local net boards.  Maybe I can get a meeting lined up with a hot blonde tomorrow as well.”

Ian took the rag and stopped to admire the two Wolf's Dragoon's heads painted under the cockpit representing the two kills he got on Outreach before his mech was legged.  Bishop got all three of his opponents much to the surprise of Natasha and her trainers.  Ian was a little jealous but Bishop had actually fought on the front line and his mech was tougher and unfamiliar to the Wolves.  His mech was painted Red and Gold as well although he was not a fan of it preferring the regular Tricolor Parade scheme.

The Prince finished up with the Marauder wanting it to shine for a different reason than Vance before heading back to the room he shared with Bishop who wasn't there as normal.  The Valor's captain had insisted that he take the Captain's Cabin but Ian had refused although it was much more spacious.  First Princes had for centuries put up with the cramped space of a shared drop-ship cabin he could do it as well.   He didn't even have that many things anyway but he stashed his heavy uniform in the storage locker that was beneath the hinged bed. 

With plenty of time he headed toward the small but comparably large rec room to see Patrick and Bishop engaged in a vigorous game of holo-chess while Megan and Dan watched.  Ian squeezed into one of the couches opposite them.  Military transports weren't built with creature comforts in mind first even ones that carried Princes, however this Union was among the nicest ones due to the slightly reduced combat crew and enlarged cargo bay.  Megan started, “Hey Ian I thought you were on maintenance duty right now.”
“I was, Vance let me go early.  I just had to wax my Mech to help him be a lady killer.”

The Allards laughed at that but Bishop and Patrick were still intensely focused on their match. 

Her cheeks showed the barest blush, “Like he needs the help, I see him working out in the Tech Bay shirtless sometimes when he's supposed to be working.  I sometimes stop him and ask for him to look at my Phoenix Hawk, especially if he has to bend over.”
Dan looked at her incredulous, “What!  You're not supposed to look at other guys.”

Megan gave him a look and put her tan hand so unlike the other Kells playfully through his black hair, “and you're supposed to be a rugged, handsome, Mercenary Mechwarrior but you've gone soft being an academy training liaison.  My dad isn't even going to recognize you when we get back to Arc-Royal.  You're going to have to start doing martial arts with the boys again.”

“I'll restart their lessons tomorrow Megan.”  He caressed her hands, “I have another way of working out though.  Sorry Ian but we're going to head out now.  Tell us who wins.  And distract our kids a little bit would you?”

Megan and Dan departed toward their Cabin, their departure hardly registering on the two chess players.  “Checkmate!”

Bishop slammed his fist on the arm of his chair, “So close!  Another move and I would have had you Patrick.”
Patrick leaned back content with his victory, “Haha, I know, I've more experience at this game then you do though Major, Morgan tried to use that gambit all the time but it never worked on me.”

The two of them powered down the holotable, then they realized that Ian was here and that the other two left.  “Hello Ian.”

“Patrick, Bishop good game it seems.”

“Yes, I'm glad we picked this dropship to come home on.  Your normally need a Monarch to get a holographic gaming table this nice.  Bishop is quite crafty I'm certain he's learned a lot about gaming over the past couple of weeks so I'm sure he will pass it along.  Just be prepared to lose for a while till you become unstoppable Ian, its a good skill to learn unfortunately.”
“Patrick, I heard that your brother will be giving away Melissa during her wedding.”
“Aye, we've always been very close.  Morgan was humbled by the offer, he loved Arthur and loves Melissa as much as Katrina.  I actually just heard that she has requested you to be her escort.”

Ian had a blank look on his face and choked a little bit, “I hadn't heard that.”
“Well now you have.  She sent the message to me a couple hours ago.  I figured we would see each other before tomorrow, small dropship and all.”
“But I haven't even met her yet.”

“It's not like she asked for you to be her date for a fling in the supply locker.  Poor woman is just clinging to life out of sheer stubbornness as it is.  It seemed appropriate to have a Suns Prince escort the Archon Emeritus to Tharkad however and she agreed.”
Ian looked around this was a brand new dropship but it was nowhere near presentable for a major head of state, “She's going to be on my dropship?  Please tell me that's not the case."
"No you will be on her dropship as a guest along with Bishop, its very nice, the Valor will follow behind.  We're going to catch the next charter to Arc-Royal so you won't see us until the wedding."
"So about the meet tomorrow, I would like to go over the proper protocol with you again.”
“Certainly I don't think Bishop will give me another game today.”

Bishop looked at him with grim displeasure at losing so many times to the Kell and politely excused himself.

“We're going to do a simple meet and greet at first nothing ostentatious Gallery is hardly a formal world despite it's privileged position in the Commonwealth.  Now when we get to Tharkad the rules change but we have a few weeks before that happens.  We're going to need to get you a better uniform though.“
"But a uniform is...uniform."

"In the Lyran Commonwealth, there are uniforms, and then there are uniforms.  You won't make much of an impression if you show up with one of the former.  I'm sure Jack (Nondi Steiner's husband) can set you up with his man on Tharkad.  That man knows how to wear a suit.  We'll even get a little purple pocket square in order to catch the eye of the League's ambassador."

Ian was surprised his potential arranged marraige to Corrine wasn't supposed to be known to Patrick, Dan and Megan had sworn they wouldn't tell him, "What?  Why would I want that?"
"I know about your little Marik side-quest.  I don't hate them but I don't like or trust them either.  You might end up in trouble because of a huge family feud or a Steiner power struggle.  There are three other Steiner lines and even though it's Melissa's primary concern they might try to use you to advance their own claim.  It's happened before."
"Did you tell anyone else?"
"No, my lips are sealed.  The Kell Hounds try to stay out of the feudal politics of the Successor States.  I just wanted you to know that people will ask about all of your motivations here in many different ways then you are used to so you have to be very observant.  The ball room is just as dangerous as the dueling field or battlefield in the Commonwealth.  Don't trust anyone and especially watch out for Ryan, he's a snake as vicious as any in the Combine and he hates the Free Worlds League.  You already know to be cautious around Tormano that man is affable sure but he's cold blooded as well and he has it out for the Suns now."

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 18 June 2018, 04:30:30 »
LOSTECH PAINT!!!!

Nicely characterized.

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 18 June 2018, 06:30:51 »
LOSTECH PAINT!!!!

Nicely characterized.

No, its obviously Paint IIC.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #18 on: 18 June 2018, 13:36:04 »
06/12/3039 07:14 Location – Alistair Steiner Memorial Starport, New Stockholm, Gallery, Lyran Commonwealth

Gallery’s Starport is an engineering masterpiece, an example of the capabilities of Lyran engineering.  Dropships land on a heavily reinforced pad their blast forces being deflected toward the ocean beyond creating a constant eerie steaming mist to add to the persistent drizzle that covers the rocky barren surface.  Normal guidance lights were unreliable in the haze so everything was radio directed from the large masts surrounding the perimeter fence far away from the incredibly hot exhaust. 

The Union FSS Valor set down on Pad Six and the dropship was gradually lowered the forty feet underground atop a massive hydraulic pad till it was clear of the Ferrocrete cover that would roll into place in order to protect the sprawling underground facility. 

Ian stepped off the ramp and was immediately assaulted by the controlled chaos that surrounded him.  Five other vessels were here, an Overlord, Mule, and three of the small egg shaped K-1 Shuttles used mostly for short orbital hops.  The Overlord was painted in the Blue and White of the 10th Lyran Guards as were the Banshee and Zeus standing outside. 

Tracked combat vehicles painted in several different patterns were heading toward the Mule.  The smell of their ICE exhaust surprising faint due to the massive ventilation shafts that ringed this area.  Larger crawler transports were carrying shipping containers with unassembled parts to be kit built by lesser manufacturers or units that didn’t want to pay Quickscell to assemble them.  Their bulk carried aboard one of the many lengthy underground train tracks that ran beneath Gallery.

Ian looked up as the ferrocrete completely closed with a thud, “That’s a big door.”

Patrick Kell was following him, buttoning his black coat against the damp chill air the cyber-hand surprisingly dexterous, “Yeah amazing tech they have here.  All six doors can open completely within five minutes and allegedly could withstand Warship fire.  Back when those were a thing, at least the only ones with those now are the Dragoons and maybe COMSTAR and as far as I know they don’t have it out for us.  If it jams they have Uni Workmechs pull it closed until it’s fixed, don’t want plasma exhaust in this closed space.”

The Kells and Davions descended the ramp toward and down the rising walkway, “Ian, Nondi will be nice but she’s not a huge fan of your AFFS officers changing ‘Her LCAF’ she’s very old school and I dare say arrogant.  She won’t do anything to upset Katrina though especially while she’s here so you should be safe for now.  Nondi is on the verge of retirement anyhow so her kind are bound to leave us eventually. 

There are others that are more receptive to change and improving relations with the Federated Suns, whom many in the Commonwealth consider a lesser realm or at worst just as bad as the Combine but further away.  Edward Regis, the current General of the Armies is also unfortunately on his way out.  He has long been one of Katrina’s strongest supporters and a solid champion for the Alliance but feels the need to allow new blood into the command structure with a new Archon in charge.”

The party boarded a small open transport with their baggage and headed toward the terminal hub, the wheels gliding silently across the well-worn ferrocrete rows that kept it out of harm’s way.  “I’ve heard that Caesar or Roman Steiner are on the Melissa’s short list to be the new General of Armies.  With any luck it will be Roman, he is much more focused on the Combine than the League threat and open to using RCT style formations with some changes to suit Lyran sensibilities.  If anyone can bring the LCAF into the new era it would be him.

His nephews Andrew and Adam are bright lads too, they’ve visited the Hounds before.  Both are still young but Adam in particular has a lot of promise according to what I’ve heard, the Somerset Steiners are on the ascent so you want them on your side.”

Mark Allard, the oldest son of Dan and Megan, now nearly sixteen, “I like Adam but he’s always so serious and I hate that he beats me at MechCommander, I think he cheats.”
Megan chastised the teenager, “Just because you lose sometimes doesn’t mean the other boy cheated.”
Dan added his own take, “All is fair in love and War.  He probably does cheat though, no one beats my boy if he’s honest.”
His siblings Tempest and Harrison laughed at that, “We beat him all the time.”
Bishop spoke up from the side, “Must mean he’s a good teacher than.”
Patrick looked over at the boy, “Yeah that’s got to be it Dan.” 
The transport stopped at a small terminal, “Anyway we’re here so this is where we part.”

Everyone got out and separated Tempest looked up, “Uncle Patrick can we see Katrina too? We never see her and she always gives us something.”

He patted the girl on the head with his cybernetic arm, “I promise you’ll see her sometime later today.  Ian and Bishop haven’t met her yet though and they have business so they get to go first.  You need to go with your mother, father, and brothers.”
The girl looked down at her boots and kicked an imaginary rock, “Fine I guess.  She’s more fun than my brothers though.”
“She’s also very sick right now so I don’t think she will be up for much playing.  Now go along Tempest.”

The little girl scampered away to join the rest of her family, Patrick looked at the two of them with an eye tuned toward Commonwealth sensibilities.  “Alright you two look presentable enough.  Let’s meet the Steiners.”

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 18 June 2018, 18:59:55 »
Nice capsule summaries.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 18 June 2018, 19:15:04 »
No, its obviously Paint IIC.
It can't be Paint IIC as the Clans have yet to arrive in the IS
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #21 on: 18 June 2018, 20:53:07 »
Nice capsule summaries.

Thank You Mike, Patrick Kell makes a surprising good talking ghost without that little Silver Eagle incident.  Merc life is tough though, a couple of bad rolls on Tour of Duty:Merc will mess you up bad.  It's all about using that wealth trait to deal with all your disadvantages.

The thing I like most about Battletech (besides giant stompy robots.  There will be a Solaris fight in this story, teaser, for the action fans.) is that main characters exist before we see them.  Also we all know Adam is a dirty screen looking cheatin' punk.

Back to the Story

Ian, Bishop, and Patrick walked through the door to the reception by Archon Emeritus Katrina and Duchess Nondi Steiner dressed in blue and silver, the dapper elder tycoon Jack Milby in a well made dark blue suit, their daughter Lisa Steiner II in her blue and white LCAF formal uniform, and a host of other aides.  Katrina was looking shaky even using a cane and Nondi stood nearby, ready to provide support to her sister if needed. Both women looked haggard and far older than they truly were, a wheelchair was manned a short distance behind Katrina. 

Nondi attempted to whisper, “Katrina sit down,” but it was easily overheard.  Katrina’s response was forceful, “I will not greet Hanse Davion’s son in my wheelchair.  I am not an invalid!”  A hacking cough threatened to knock her over, “at least not yet.”  Greetings were exchanged and some of the aides departed to prepare for later.

“Patrick good to see you again.  Ian, Bishop, a pleasure to meet you both.”
Patrick took a step back allowing Ian and Bishop to be at the fore front, “Good to see you as well Katrina, You look awful, I’m greatly concerned for your health.”

“So is the entire Lyran Commonwealth.  It only took me being at death’s door to finally get my daughter to the wedding altar.  She’s just as headstrong as her mother I’m afraid.  I should have locked her in a closet with Thomas years ago.  I would be on my fifth grandchild by now if I had.  Now I’ll be lucky to live past their honeymoon.”

Katrina carefully maneuvered herself to face Ian, “Apologies Little Fox.  I am no longer the spirited young woman I once was nor am I still the Iron Lady of Tharkad that you've heard about.  The burden of leadership is a heavy one that I regrettably had to pass on before I believed the bearer ready, if there is such a time.  I am honored that you have decided to visit during such an eventful time in our history and to see me first.”

Ian and Bishop both stepped forward toward the ailing woman and her still strong sister who gave them an annoyed look. 

“You are truly your father’s son,” Katrina brushed her hand across Ian’s face patting it gently, “and a handsome one at that.  Pity that we couldn’t arrange a wedding between you and my Melissa, the political will was not something I could muster in the Estates General despite our common interests.  You will make some other woman happy and every other one jealous one day I’m sure.”

The compliment was flattering and Ian let it be seen, “Thank you for your kind words Katrina.  You are an inspiration in the Federated Suns and a beacon of hope to our people that we might finally live in the peace that has eluded for centuries.  My sister and mother both look up at you with high esteem and wished to come, but we all have our own duty to attend to first.  They send their well wishes and regrets.”

Her eyes lit up, her mind still burning with drive even as her body was failing her, he could see small tears forming under the bright lights of the corridor, “Thank you Ian that means more than you know.  Please tell your family that I appreciate their continued support while we try to build a lasting peace.  I apologize but I must sit down now.” 

Katrina sat back down wiping her face and holding her cane in front of her while seated.  The man behind the wheelchair wrapped a woolen blanket over her shoulders.  “Walk with me, we shall go to Blacktree and then continue our conversation.  I do actually want to spend some time with the children during their time here so I hope you don’t think it’s rude.  You will have an uninterrupted audience in me when they depart.  There's a train waiting for us right now and you will stay there for the few weeks before we finally head to Tharkad.  Perhaps for my last time.  Though I wish it weren’t so.”

The wheelchair starting moving and Ian followed easily, “Thank you once more for your generosity.  I don’t think it’s rude at all, in fact I could use a break from them.  I already had to spend a month on a drop-ship with them.  A week of alone time might just be what I need to recharge and adjust to being so far from home for perhaps quite a long time.”

Ian looked back for Patrick but he must have slipped out while he was talking with Katrina to join his sister’s family at the train.

The group walked through the terminal until they found the five car matte gray electric train with a bright blue stripe running along it.  “Gallery One” written in a bold Gothic font in English and German, the other aides were just finishing loading up their luggage and the Hounds and their pups were no where to be found.  The techs and drop-ship crew would remain with their ship but would be given vouchers to cover their lodging, food, and drink in New Stockholm planetary script and allowed to do as they wished as long as the Valor could take off in three hours.

A richly attired conductor walked the platform ensuring all luggage and passengers were accounted for, “All Aboard, next stop Blacktree Estate.  Departing in...Ten minutes”  The man checked the precision crafted retro pocket watch he used because Jack enjoyed the romance of rail travel so much.  The man had even installed a real steam whistle even though on an electric train, an extravagant expense for a whistle that also made tea.

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #22 on: 19 June 2018, 04:39:21 »
The train was a nice piece of local color.

Starfox1701

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #23 on: 19 June 2018, 09:36:17 »
Indeed 8)

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #24 on: 20 June 2018, 07:01:19 »
Patrick Kell (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0392.html)

The train Gallery One rolled along the charged railways built under the planet over the previous centuries of occupancy.  The surface was so dismal most of the time that it required the immense talent of genetic engineers to render the planet habitable initially during humanity’s Golden Age and the current skill and might of Lyran industry to keep it so. 

The inhabitants went underground utilizing old mining tunnels and massive caverns made by ancient machines during the Star League era.  None of these beasts that had once pulled thousands of metric tons of ore from the dull gray stone and processed it in order to feed the growing industries on Tharkad and Hesperus II still operated.  Each had long since been cannibalized for parts until there was nothing of value left, their power plants became the hearts of new cities, their structures the bones of new settlements on a subterranean world where everything was made by man in defiance of nature.

Since everything was underground Gallery One’s cars had no windows instead the wall was occupied by a few pieces of abstract art that Ian was looking at absentmindedly, grateful for some alone time.  That was interrupted when Patrick walked in and settled on one of the other leather chairs in this cabin, “Hey kid, needed a break from the children so decided to stop by.  You look unnerved.”
“No windows.  I would like some sunshine.”
“You’re not likely to get any on this planet, I recommend Tatyana on Tharkad if you can get there but watch out there are more than a few aspiring actresses and models there that would love to become the next Duchess Davion. 
Just like there were plenty that wanted to be a Countess Kell during my time, that’s why I don’t go there anymore.  Young man’s game, I don’t have the heart for it anymore. 
I still managed to sweet talk and more with a few of them.  You ever seen Melanie Quest?”

MQ, as she was more well-known was a prolific holofilm actress with more than a sixty blockbuster credits to her name as leading lady.  She also currently owned her own production company and magazine both of which were nearly as prolific as the largest Commonwealth ones. She or her companies had been in multiple spreads in every type of magazine for years.  “Has anyone not seen her?”

“I hit that, multiple times in fact, fairly certain her first son is mine but I wasn’t the only one,”
Pat breathed out deeply, “that woman is a machine.  I try to keep a record of my extracurricular activity for later claims but that was probably my most high profile one.”

Patrick put his regular arm under his chin clearly lost in an interesting memory, “Maybe I’ll give her a call after the wedding just for old times’ sake.”

He stood up and walked toward the wall, “Anyway there is nothing to see out here just more gray stone so they didn’t include windows.  By the way where did your pal Bishop go?”

“Rack time, Dan and Megan were otherwise engaged last night so we had to face the full energy of their kids.  Mark wore him out.”

Patrick nodded, “He’s a good kid.  He will make a great Kell Hound one day.  You will get to see my nephew Phelan during the wedding and experience what kind of nuisance he is in comparison.  It’s a standard trait for anyone with Kell blood I’m afraid.
Ian would you like some coffee?”
“Certainly, although I’m not sure where to get it from.”

The Hound waked up to one of the artworks and lifted a recessed latch exposing a small hollow with some buttons and a dial on it.  “Jack spent a lot of Kroner to retrofit a steam whistle on this train.  A nice side effect of that is that we can get hot drinks almost instantly.  The kids love it.”

He grabbed two of the cups from their holder and tapped the button twice.  Before returning to his chair he passed one to Ian.  “Thank You Patrick, I will miss our times together.”

“As will I.  I have watched you mature a lot in the past couple of years.  You have a brave heart, sharp mind, and good judgement, you do your House proud now and will continue to do so into the future.  You just need to do is make sure you don’t get in over your head.  I unfortunately can’t teach you to respect your limits.  I certainly never have so I don’t even know where to start.  Try to avoid fighting to many Dragons though.”

He put his heavily scarred and cybernetic arm out, “They tend to leave nasty scars.”

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #25 on: 20 June 2018, 09:40:30 »
Chapter 4 – Green and Gold
07/04/3039 13:47 Location – Tracial Steiner Memorial Starport, Tharkad, Lyran Commonwealth

The Fortress Dropship LCS Iron Gauntlet descended over the vast ferrocrete plains of a sheltered valley in the shadow of Mt Wotan.  Rail and car tunnels cut through the Jotun range toward Tharkad City and the Triad on the far side and the adjacent Olympia City and its smaller Air and Shuttleports that connected this area with the rest of Tharkad on the near side. 

The mighty New Danube River originally cut through the mountains to form this valley but had been rerouted through another tunnel to emerge on the other side of the Starport in order to continue its winding trek toward the ocean on its original course.  Great blast trenches were cut throughout the landscape deflecting the superheated plasma from the dozen landing pads and four super long runways for Aerodyne dropships.

As usual the area was busy, Tharkad was if not the, then among the wealthiest planets in the whole of the Inner Sphere and produced thousands of different types of industrial goods. Its wealth and productivity was a source of much pride for its inhabitants and the Steiner Family that ruled over it. 

Ian was in awe of the size of just the spaceport as he walked along in his Marauder with Bishop’s Penetrator and a company of the LCAF’s 1st Royal Guard toward the Triad along “The Giant’s Passage.”  A slightly depressed walkway that later became an elevated one that led right to the Triad bypassing The Twin Cities and their snarling traffic.  It cut along the buffering wilderness beside the New Danube that separated Olympia and Tharkad while following a railway easement. 

Bishop opened a point to point channel between their mechs lest the Royals overhear them, “Ian I think the Steiner’s have a rail fetish.”

Ian couldn’t help but laugh and almost lost the balance of his machine, “You think they are compensating for something Bishop?”

Ian looked over at one of the Atlii that was part of their escort group.  The hulking machine was a fearsome beast and his namesake had died in one so it had a special place in his heart.  Most of the other mechs in his escort were equally large, a Banshee, two other Atlii, four Zeuses, and a Longbow and Awesome both likely salvaged from some raid against their perennial enemy, The Free Worlds League.

“I just think they like the sight of a long powerful machine going into a deep dark tunnel.”

Ian had to stop his Marauder in mid-stride causing the rest of the Guards to pause as well for a long moment, “Don’t tell Melissa or Thomas that Bishop.  I expect you to be on your best behavior while we are on Tharkad.  Keep the sophomoric antics of a Guard’s Brat just between us.  I guess you could tell Katrina, the woman could sure use some levity.”
“Of course my Prince.”

One of the Royals came in over the radio, “Is there a problem Prince Ian?”
“No problem, merely taking in the sights.”
“Of course.  Take your time, we will continue on.  The trail is easy enough to follow.”

The two Suns Mechs paused and reestablished the Point to Point grateful for perhaps the last bit of privacy they might have for weeks.  Both were looking out over the skyline of Tharkad and Olympia, “Are you ready for tonight’s party Ian?”

“As much as possible Bishop.  I have to admit that the uniforms Jack’s man made for me look mighty sharp.  However ‘Finishing School’ on Gallery was just as hard as my time at Albion.  I don’t know how I will deal with these people, they just seem so alien.”

“I will start by saying be yourself.  You are the son of First Prince Hanse and Dana Davion, you belong there as much as any of these Steiner bluebloods.  Don’t let them intimidate you by making you seem lesser in any way.  Hell you faced down a trio of Wolf’s Dragoons with live weapons.  That’s more combat experience that most of these ‘Generals’ can muster in their entire careers even with their fancy school rags.”
“Thank You Bishop, that does put me at ease.  Should we catch up to the Royals?”
“With our mechs we could overtake them and beat them to the Triad.  I can’t wait to get to the Suns Annex myself and eat some normal food.  It’s been months since I’ve had decent wings and a beer.  Also I want to see whether the Albion Cavaliers beat the NAIS Knights.  I didn’t want to peek at the score summary when it came in this morning.  The vid should be available on the CommNet soon.”

“Of course the Cavaliers won.  That sounds like a good afternoon Bishop, curse these chains of courtesy that bind me to spend time with other.”
“I know right.  The Knights don’t stand a chance but the Cav’s Striker is my old classmate’s boy.  I want to see him in action.”
“You really want to make me drag my feet to get to the Triad Major.  Let’s walk and talk.”

The Marauder and Penetrator overtook the slower Guards and made it to the Suns Diplomatic Annex ahead of schedule.  They walked their mechs into the reinforced Mech Bay joining a Griffin, Shadow Hawk, Rifleman, and Wasp.  Both Ian and Bishop disembarked and were greeted by Colonel Alexander Horvat first of the 35th FedSuns Mechanized Rifles, part of the 3rd Davion Guards, Security Commander for the multi-building compound although Ian was to be assigned a token detachment for his own security.

The three men left the Mech Bay and headed toward the Ambassador’s Residence once the home of Alessandro Steiner’s favorite mistress.  The entire place had been renovated more toward Davion Elegance rather than Steiner Opulence. Ambassador Ran Felsner was richly attired in green and gold with his trademark monocle, a relic of his lost eyesight that removed him from active Battlemech piloting. 

His preferred Mech, The Griffin, was also a favorite of the Lyran Commonwealth, two Griffins watched over the shoulders of Melissa just as they had watched over her Mother’s and Grand Uncle’s whenever she held court.  His astute observations and focus on logistics as well as his worldliness and humility won him much respect in the Triad with commoners, nobles, and both the Social and Fighting Generals of the LCAF.

“Prince Ian, it is good to see you again after so long.  I last saw you when you were just a fresh’y at Albion.  What a fine looking young man you’ve become.”
“Thank you Ran.  It is good to see you as well.  How do you like Tharkad?”
“The cold bothers my joints a bit but not enough to be a concern.  My family is quite happy with our assignment Ian.  One of my grandsons just passed the test to start at Nagelring come September and I couldn’t be prouder.  Being an ambassador is a nice change of pace from my time fighting at your father’s side. 
I’m sorry but you just missed Ardan Bishop.”
“He sent me an HPG on the way back to New Avalon.  Too bad he couldn’t route to Gallery on the way back.  I would have liked to see him but Command Circuits are a fickle thing.”
“Massively understated as usual but I’m not going to lecture you on the proper routing of Jumpships though I could.  You have many other things to do as do I.  My butler will show you to your rooms.  We will be seeing plenty of one another in the future and I look forward to helping you however I can.”

Ran’s butler Pietre gave Ian and Bishop a quick tour.  Bishop was housed closer to Colonel Horvat’s men and Ian was given one of the larger rooms in the mansion. All of his clothes had already been placed in closets and drawers.  There was only enough time to grab a quick bite to eat before he had to get ready for the Ball tonight where he would meet Melissa and Thomas for the first time.  An hour before he was due to depart a brown haired woman around his age dressed in a green and gold ball gown knocked at his door, “Who are you Miss?”
“I’m your date.”
“I was not informed that I would be having a date.”
“Neither was I until three hours ago unfortunately I was free.  Though I don’t think my father would have cared if I weren’t.  I’m Tess Felsner, and your tie is all wrong.”

Ian grabbed the tie, “It most assuredly is not. This is how Albion and my mother taught me to do it.”
“Yes, well we are not on New Avalon.  Let me fix it.”
“Very well.”
  She artfully retied it in a more elaborate configuration.  Ian looked in the mirror again and barely repressed the feelings he had for the look.  “That looks ridiculous.”
“I’ve seen far worse my Prince.  You will too.  Well let’s go then.  I need a drink.”

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #26 on: 20 June 2018, 18:46:37 »
Poor Tess :)

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: 21 June 2018, 02:19:28 »
Poor Ian. ;)
Growing up is optional.

Starfox1701

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #28 on: 21 June 2018, 02:35:05 »
Oh good lord lol

Register