Author Topic: 3050 Surprised-Clans?  (Read 3118 times)

OatsAndHall

• Warrant Officer
Re: 3050 Surprised-Clans?
« Reply #60 on: 04 April 2024, 11:12:48 »
I understand that they were embroiled in their own culture but I'm surprised they weren't better tacticians with respect to anticipating IS resistance. Especially given that their SLDF ancestors didn't follow the same code while they were still in the IS.

At the very least, I'd expect that they adapt to the IS tactics after Tukkayid but they really don't.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #61 on: 04 April 2024, 11:27:48 »
Forgetting ones history is something we see in the real world all the time.

Zell had become a religion by this point and the Clans steamrolled most of their earlier engagements building up their false sense of superiority. Then you still had Clans actively competing with one another more than worrying about the IS. Khan Showers was the only figure to keep the infighting in check during the Clan initial string of victories. With his death, the focus was once again more about keeping Clan Wolf in check. The Crusaders already thought victory was a forgone conclusion and their failures reflected that.

Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #62 on: 04 April 2024, 15:38:05 »
It's less that nobody understood proper tactics, it's more that the bullies were in charge and anyone who tried to fight intelligently - i.e., not according to zell - was derided and/or punished. Social pressure is a hell of a thing.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #63 on: 07 April 2024, 12:25:41 »
So, we know the Clans' advanced technology was a shock to the Inner-Sphere, but, was the Inner-Sphere's recent adaptation of Star-League tech a surprise to the Clans?

You mean on the battlefield?  Or on Strana Mechty?

Because the clans had a shipload of ComStar captives interrogated & part of the reason Revival finally got the GO vote was because they feared the Star League was going to reform w/o them.

IE.  They had heard about the 4th SW, the FC Alliance,  & the Helm Core before they ever voted for Revival in 3048.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #64 on: 07 April 2024, 12:40:50 »
I would think the Clans would be more surprised by the lack of SLDF Tech considering the current Reintroduction Dates has SLDF Tech being produced so much sooner than they were in the novels.

A Year or 3 of production isn't refitting a nation.
The vast majority of TRO:3050 designs were not in any sort of "wide spread" deployment by the time the clans invaded.
And the majority of those earliest models were FWL designs, not DC/FC models.

Prior to 3047 you have exactly 5 models of mech in "Mass Production" v/s rare 1-offs or the Dragoons Refits.
3 of those 5 are on the other side of the IS. 
And even those would be "standard" runs not some triple shift run the factory 24/7 Wartime output.

BJ-3 - St.Ives
PXH-3S - Steiner
HTM-27T - Kurita

3045  PXH-3M - Marik
3046  HBK-5M - Marik

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #65 on: 08 April 2024, 00:55:41 »
3047 for the MAD-5D seems a little odd given the MAD-5D fluff
The Suns will shine again

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #66 on: 08 April 2024, 00:58:29 »
You talking about the fluff from the original TRO 3050 or from the Rec Guide?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #67 on: 08 April 2024, 01:52:31 »
You talking about the fluff from the original TRO 3050 or from the Rec Guide?

the original fluff, notably that the dracs took quinetin right as the world had geared up to start building them, which was in 3039 so realisticly a early 40s deployment time seemed to make more sense.
The Suns will shine again

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #68 on: 08 April 2024, 17:02:47 »
the original fluff, notably that the dracs took quinetin right as the world had geared up to start building them, which was in 3039 so realisticly a early 40s deployment time seemed to make more sense.

It's worse than that, they have Griffins being produced by 2 factions from factories that changed hands in the 4th SW.   (Oliver & Marduk)
Because ssuuuree, the designs were on the drawing board 20 years before they were produced & only a couple years into decoding the Helm Core,  LOL.

A lot of folks complain that 3047 is too early & should be 3051 or something, but I'm fine w/ 3047, that said, the whole "captured factories bit never made any sense at all".

If they had said something like, the engineers worked together across border lines I'd have found it more realistic than 3029 factories having plans for a design that won't get produced till 3049.

Caesar Steiner for Archon

• Captain
  • I think I'm dehydrated. What day is it?
« Reply #69 on: 09 April 2024, 11:08:52 »
A Year or 3 of production isn't refitting a nation.
The vast majority of TRO:3050 designs were not in any sort of "wide spread" deployment by the time the clans invaded.
And the majority of those earliest models were FWL designs, not DC/FC models.

Prior to 3047 you have exactly 5 models of mech in "Mass Production" v/s rare 1-offs or the Dragoons Refits.
3 of those 5 are on the other side of the IS. 
And even those would be "standard" runs not some triple shift run the factory 24/7 Wartime output.

BJ-3 - St.Ives
PXH-3S - Steiner
HTM-27T - Kurita

3045  PXH-3M - Marik
3046  HBK-5M - Marik

Most of them were coming from refit kits rather than new models, which would also explain the... slapdash nature of some of the designs.

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #70 on: 09 April 2024, 16:28:14 »
Most of them were coming from refit kits rather than new models, which would also explain the... slapdash nature of some of the designs.

Refit Kit or New off the Factory floor, the FC still had a single Phoenix Hawk model, prior to '47.

3047 saw the Dervish & Marauder lines start producing upgrades & kits.
3048 brought a 2nd Pixie & the Zeus lines.
You also had the Axman & Devastator models come online but your issuing a ton of refit kits there for centuries of existing mechs.

Not exactly the entirety of the military there.

Most lines came back on line in 3049/50 which matches the novels seeing lots of rebuilding w/ new tech in 3051-52

Register