Author Topic: A possible alternative to pinning?  (Read 2752 times)

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
A possible alternative to pinning?
« on: 14 March 2016, 14:01:11 »
Anyone try that Lazer Bond (as seen on TV!) stuff for metal miniature assembly?  (according to the commercials, it's a liquid plastic that hardens when exposed to its accompanying UV light)

Assuming it works as well as it does in the advertisments, I thought it seemed like an awesome way to glue the macro and weight-bearing joints of a mini together without the hassle of drilling pinning holes.

I just might pick some up and try it.. but I'm curious if anyone already has and can share their experience with the product.

DarkSpade

• Major
Re: A possible alternative to pinning?
« Reply #1 on: 14 March 2016, 17:18:44 »
Not sure I'd want to try it over pinning, but I am curious if it could have other options.  Like would it dry clear and hard enough to simulate water?
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #2 on: 14 March 2016, 20:13:59 »
I'd be interested to hear how you go. One concern - does triggering curing on one edge cause the rest of the glue to cure? Because there'd be a problem trying to shine UV onto glue between two bits of metal. One would assume so, given it's referred to as a bond product.

The other thing might be the need for greater precision. Being ham-fingered, I like CA gel because I can smooj the bits around into position, then hold them for a bit, then release.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #3 on: 14 March 2016, 21:35:57 »
Reminds me of the stuff dentists use for fillings and such (gluing brackets to teeth?).  Interesting, but in the commercial I googled, there was a pretty heavy layer of plastic in the seams.  That wouldn't work too well for minis, unless you're filling in bases.

Deamobd

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: 14 March 2016, 23:14:07 »
I haven't tried it on a mini but my sister tried it on a couple fixes around the house and it didn't hold very well.
If anyone has some experience with it on minis I'd like to hear how it went, good or bad.

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #5 on: 11 April 2016, 11:48:00 »
I've read reviews on it (because I was thinking the same thing) and they almost uniformly said "don't waste your money, it works nowhere near as well in real life as in the commercials."

faithless

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • I am a meat popsicle.
« Reply #6 on: 11 April 2016, 15:25:55 »
I used bondic a year or so ago, until I ran out. It was neat for some gap filling and such. But I would not recommend it for attaching parts. Good ole CA worked far better.
Demo Agent #715
Game HQ Oklahoma City, OK
Carolina Comics Lawton, OK
Oklahoma Battletech Group on Facebook

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • I paid for my Atlas by selling action figures.
« Reply #7 on: 16 April 2016, 11:02:41 »
UV-curing glue is amazing stuff... if at least one of the pieces you're bonding is transparent/translucent. Otherwise you pretty much just cure the edges of the bond. Having something that doesn't cure until you say "go" is still really useful, though, especially when working with tiny bits -- the missile bay covers for the Archer might appreciate this technique.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 15 May 2016, 12:00:17 »
Oh, I had forgotten that I started this thread.

My verdict: It doesn't work well.

I tried it on bonding a cheap plastic model kit before trying it on a mini.  Yeah, it's plastic vs metal, I know.  But in my unprofessional experience, a bond that can't do plastic won't do any better on metal.  And I'd rather ruin a $5 airplane kit than a $10 mini if the glue turns out to be an absolute nightmare to clean off.

Turns out cleaning the glue off would not be a problem at all.  It simply came right off on its own.  Which is not exactly what you want in a glue.  The stuff cured well enough, but it didn't grip the surface it was supposed to be binding to. 

Rtifs

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 19 May 2016, 08:27:06 »
My alternative to pinning is to drill out both components as if for a pin.  But then just insert green stuff into them rather than a paper clip.  The result is that when the green stuff cures, it will hold IMHO just as well as a traditional pin.  It creates a lot of surface area to grip the components and adds surface area for glue to grip.  I don’t think I’ve ever had a joint fail when pinned this way.

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • I paid for my Atlas by selling action figures.
« Reply #10 on: 20 May 2016, 17:39:28 »
That's somewhat similar to my method. I thoroughly rough up both sides and slather on epoxy. I either hold it while it cures or, for tricky pieces, use some modelling clay to hold everything. The extra that oozes out can be trimmed off while the cure is still at the "hard rubber" stage. I rarely pin anything -- just epoxy the load-bearing stuff and use cyanoacrylate for the fiddly bits (missile doors, etc.).

Register