Author Topic: Advice needed - painting searchlights  (Read 3290 times)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Advice needed - painting searchlights
« on: 27 July 2020, 18:44:35 »
So I have a couple of Guillotines in a mid-grey scheme with metallic green cockpits. I have no idea what to do with the searchlights!

Options I can think of include:
- yellow
- yellow 'jewelling' on metallic background
- yellow ink over steel/silver

But I'm actively soliciting ideas here, folks! Forum-wan-Kenobis, you're my only hope!
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
Re: Advice needed - painting searchlights
« Reply #1 on: 27 July 2020, 18:57:29 »
My guillotine I think have blue lensing
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #2 on: 27 July 2020, 19:20:46 »
Flat blue, metallic blue, textured?

I have this wierd pearly blue paint, that might work.
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Asgo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 27 July 2020, 19:25:21 »
So I have a couple of Guillotines in a mid-grey scheme with metallic green cockpits. I have no idea what to do with the searchlights!

Options I can think of include:
- yellow
- yellow 'jewelling' on metallic background
- yellow ink over steel/silver

But I'm actively soliciting ideas here, folks! Forum-wan-Kenobis, you're my only hope!
my goto for glass/lights is the easy way via the respective citadel jewel technicals over light metallic background - but that is limited to blue/green/red and from your suggestions I would assume something in yellow is more of the objective.

not sure how well yellow ink over light metallics work on something small. Would be interesting to see if yellow contrast paint - as thick ink - would work.
Otherwise a very bright gold metallic should work too.

edit: of course if you really want to see the light, you always can try fluorescent paints, even without the use of UV are they nice and bright. :)
« Last Edit: 27 July 2020, 19:39:35 by Asgo »

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #4 on: 27 July 2020, 19:39:54 »
I have yellow contrast - might do one pearly blue metallic, one yellow contrast over silver, see how they look.

Thanks! But keep the suggestions coming, folks!