Author Topic: Clan Invasion OmniMech Review: Iron Cheetah  (Read 10918 times)

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
Clan Invasion OmniMech Review: Iron Cheetah
« on: 04 January 2022, 09:11:08 »

I never thought the day would come that I'd be typing something about a canon Iron Cheetah, my favorite non-canon Clan omnimech, in the Fan Articles board.  Well, that day is here now, thanks to ilClan Recognition Guide Vol. 19!  :)

The Iron Cheetah was the last omnimech Clan Smoke Jaguar designed before their annihilation resulting from Operation Bulldog.  It was available to their Touman in 3054, but thanks to the resource management technique the Jaguars employed, the omnimech’s availability seemed to be in small enough numbers that it was missed for TRO3055 and TRO3060.  However, the Iron Cheetah saw action against the Inner Sphere invaders, with the Draconis Combine capturing a few from combat against Clan Smoke Jaguar.  It’s Inner Sphere code name could’ve very well been “Kaiju” (“strange beast”) or “Gojira” (“gorilla whale”, original name of the fictional Japanese monster “Godzilla”), but the names never stuck, probably considering how few Iron Cheetahs were encountered.  The few that were captured were assigned to prestigious Warriors of the Dragon, though again, few enough to not be featured in any earlier TRO.  I imagine these units were likely hangar queens since they were the pinnacle of Clan omnimech technology, with the DCMS probably having little to no means of adequately maintaining the rare beasts for combat. 

The Iron Cheetah factory on Huntress was destroyed by Task Force Serpent, with surviving Jaguar technicians taking the ‘mech’s design plans with them.  The techs ended up using the design plans to barter with Clan Diamond Shark, who waited until the 3080s to produce them in the Inner Sphere.  With the Iron Cheetah’s resurrection, the Republic of the Sphere purchased exclusive rights to procure the omnimechs from the Sharks.  Most of these went to Stone’s Brigade and the Fidelis, leaving the deployment of the omnimech seemingly unknown to the rest of the Inner Sphere.  When the Republic collapsed, Clan Sea Fox started selling Iron Cheetahs to other factions.  In the ilClan era you may find these omnimechs among not only the Sea Foxes, but also the Free Worlds League, Federated Suns, Lyran Commonwealth, Raven Alliance, and the Wolves-in-Exile.  Considering that Clan Smoke Jaguar was resurrected from the Fidelis, they probably have them too from their time being part of the Republic military.

Born from the desire of Elementals to ride into battle on a faster 100-tonner than a Dire Wolf, Khan Lincoln Osis commissioned the Iron Cheetah following the Battle of Tukayyid to supplement the Dire Wolf.  With the need for speed, Clan Smoke Jaguar spared no expense with the Iron Cheetah.  Visually, it seemed to mix the best attributes of three well-known omnimechs: the arms, legs, and combined torso components of the Warhawk and Dire Wolf, and the feet and signature cockpit design of the smaller and faster Timber Wolf from Clan Wolf – perhaps a way of the Jaguars for honoring a cutting-edge heavy omnimech from a rival Clan.  I can’t help but think that the sharing of body components was planned by the Jaguars to help ease maintenance of the omnimech, much like how the Warhawk and Dire Wolf originally shared body components, along with the rest of the TRO3050 Clan omnimechs.  At its heart is a 400XL Fusion Engine, the same model used in the Gargoyle, able to let the 100-ton omnimech run at most 65 kph.  Previously, Clan Ghost Bear’s Kodiak, which debuted in 3001, held the speed record for the fastest 100-ton Clan battlemech.  Clan Smoke Jaguar surpassed that, building not just a fast 100-ton battlemech, but a 100-ton omnimech.  The engine is big enough to house sixteen double heat sinks  Like the smaller Timber Wolf that partly inspired it, an Endo-Steel chassis makes up the bones and Ferro-Fibrous armor make up the skin.  And that skin is the thickest possible for a 100-ton ‘mech, just slightly surpassing the slower Dire Wolf while keeping a similar torso armor profile.  The internal layout of the armor and structure criticals is similar to that of the Timber Wolf.  All these guts leave 39.5 tons of pod space available to configure to the needs of a mission.  While this is about 80% of the Dire Wolf’s available pod space and eight less critical slots, I think the extra speed makes up for it.

If your imagination isn’t allowed to configure the pod space, there are six standard pod configurations to choose from, all but one of them from the ‘mech’s debut in 3054 (the L configuration shows up in 3135):

Prime Configuration:  There are three arm-mounted head-chopping weapons here:  Two ER PPCs, and a Gauss rifle with sixteen shots.  These are supplemented with an Artemis-enhanced LRM-15 with eight shots and two medium pulse lasers, all of which are also arm-mounted.  With the heavy weapons taking up the lower arm and hand actuators, they can all flip to the rear arc where they are further supplemented by an ER small laser.  An anti-missile system provide some protection against missiles with 48 shots.  There are no additional heat sinks mounted, but the stock sixteen doubles are sufficient for the three main weapons, subbing an ER PPC for the LRM-15 to allow for a little cooldown.  I see the pulse lasers helping with hitting faster targets at closer ranges, both fired in place of one ER PPC.

A Configuration:  There are two large pulse lasers, an Ultra AC/20 with ten shots of fire at the normal firing rate, and five machine guns with 200 shots of fire between them, all mounted in the flippable arms.  The torsos contain an additional machine gun and two Streak SRM-6 launches with 30 shots between them.  An Active Probe is mounted in the center torso.  This configuration reminds me of the Dire Wolf A with the big gun being a short-ranged monster instead of a head-chopping sniping weapon.  It also adds the ability to deal with lots of infantry harshly.  Two double heat sinks are added, allowing the ‘mech to fire both pulse lasers and the AC at full firing rate while staying heat-neutral.

B Configuration:  Two large pulse lasers and six medium pulse lasers are all mounted in the arms, while an ER small laser is mounted in the center torso.  A targeting computer guides all these weapons, though location-specific aimed fire isn’t possible.  Four jump jets allow this configuration to be used like a big Nova Prime; jump in, fire all your lasers, and jump out to cover to cool off, with the bonus of the pulse lasers and targeting computer negating any jumping movement impacts.  Two double heat sinks are added, and allow for one large pulse and six medium pulse lasers to be fired while staying heat-neutral, or you can drop a pulse laser from the firing group to accommodate jumping movement heat.

C Configuration:  Four ER large lasers, four medium pulse lasers, and two Streak SRM-2s with 50 shots between them are mounted in flippable arms, with an LRM-15 and eight shots sitting in the right torso.  This configuration is basically a faster Dire Wolf Prime without the Ultra AC/5s.  Eight heat sinks are added, allowing for near-continuous fire of the ER large lasers.  As the range closes, one or two ER larges can be substituted with the medium pulse lasers and the LRM-15.

D Configuration:  Two ER large lasers, an ER medium laser, and an LBX-AC/20 with fifteen shots are mounted in flippable arms.  A Gauss rifle with sixteen shots and a rear-facing ER small laser sit in the right torso.  An ECM Suite takes a spot in the center torso.  This configuration reminds me of the Dire Wolf W with its long and short-ranged big guns.  No heat sinks are added, but they aren’t needed for firing all the big guns and staying nearly heat-neutral.

L Configuration:  A massive HAG/40 with twelve shots and four improved heavy medium lasers sit flippable arms, though because the HAG/40 is split between an arm and a torso it can’t be flipped.  A large pulse laser and a pair of rear-facing medium pulse lasers sit in the left torso alongside a light Active Probe.  CASE II protects locations from the explosion-prone HAG and improved heavy lasers.  An engine supercharger is mounted in the center torso to allow the ‘mech to run up to 85 kph in bursts.  One heat sink is added, but trigger discipline for bracket firing is still required.

I really like how the main flavor of some of the Dire Wolf's tournament-legal configurations are fit onto the Iron Cheetah.  It really drives home that it's basically a faster Dire Wolf!  Overheat a little and it's as slow as a Dire Wolf for a little bit with about the same punch, especially with the A and C configurations.  the Prime configuration is like a Warhawk that can shoot three of its PPCs all the time without much worry about overheating, but without the targeting computer.

Typically I see fan articles about combat units include a section about how to kill the subject unit, but I’m not really going to do that.  The Iron Cheetah dies like everything else – just shoot it until it stops twitching.  Cross off the armor and structure boxes, score critical hits, hit it with a nuke and throw the record sheet into the fire pit or paper shredder – what and how you shoot it up with is completely up to you and may even impress your game table companions  :thumbsup:

Some players might wonder: Why take the Iron Cheetah over a pocket assault omnimech like the Night Gyr or Nova Cat?  Both designs have nearly the same pod space as the Iron Cheetah.  You take the Iron Cheetah for any of the following reasons:

• You want a 100-ton Clan omnimech that can move 4/6 with maximum armor coverage
    • You want sixteen double heat sinks all stored in the engine
    • Heavy ‘mech armor, even at maximum for the chassis, isn’t enough
    • You like the tournament-legal configurations of the Iron Cheetah more than the pocket assault omnimechs
    • You want something that matches the visual aesthetic of the Warhawk, Dire Wolf, or Timber Wolf, or any TRO3050 Clan omnimech for that matter
    • You like 100-ton physical attack damage
    • You like Clan Smoke Jaguar
    • You like the FWL, Lyrans, Ravens, and Wolves
    • You aren’t into ‘mechs built by green budgies or lesser felines ;D

In real life, the Iron Cheetah was a design created by David Briedis and featured in the MechForce North America magazine in 1995, Volume 1, Issue 4.  At the time the design was considered non-canon.  While I don’t think it makes much sense in canon for the TROs to omit this design for so long, it couldn’t be helped due to real-life circumstances, though some really neat mini kitbashes made their rounds on the internet!  It is nice to see non-canon MechForce designs getting canonized.  Maybe we’ll see the Sidewinder and other mashed-up 3050 omnimechs among the Homeworld Clans in a renewed Clan invasion?  We’ll have to see!

While I love having these on my table, I really want to drive one in MechWarrior Online :D  One can wish...

MUL Entry:  http://masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/8319/iron-cheetah-prime
Sarna Entry:  https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Iron_Cheetah
« Last Edit: 04 January 2022, 09:12:53 by BATTLEMASTER »
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
Re: Clan Invasion OmniMech Review: Iron Cheetah
« Reply #1 on: 04 January 2022, 09:48:00 »
Nice article I'm sure the Reborn Smoke Jaguars will want a few
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #2 on: 04 January 2022, 10:50:29 »
The one thing I don't like is the Prime being saddled with 2 tons of AMS ammo.  Made sense at the time the mech was designed, but it's just horribly excessive now.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #3 on: 04 January 2022, 11:00:08 »
The one thing I don't like is the Prime being saddled with 2 tons of AMS ammo.  Made sense at the time the mech was designed, but it's just horribly excessive now.

I agree.  I'd rather swap a ton of AMS ammo for another heat sink, and there is room in the configuration to do that.
BATTLEMASTER

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #4 on: 04 January 2022, 11:09:03 »
I also wish there had been a few more configurations that use post-Clan Invasion weaponry.  There's not a whole lot of options in that regard, I know, but it would have been fun to see some more things on it.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #5 on: 04 January 2022, 12:32:26 »
I also wish there had been a few more configurations that use post-Clan Invasion weaponry.  There's not a whole lot of options in that regard, I know, but it would have been fun to see some more things on it.

I just created a custom configuration thread for folks to show off what mean things the Iron Cheetah can do  >:D

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/battlemechs/iron-cheetah-non-canon-configurations/
BATTLEMASTER

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #6 on: 04 January 2022, 13:43:04 »
In terms of BV, the A and D are the winners at around 2700-2800, vice 3000+ for the rest of the configs.  The A is a solid, if uninspired, close-range combatant.  The D is the real gem, a great all-arounder able to follow up long-range hole-punching with LB 20-X  critting.

At the other end of the BV scale, the L is especially atrocious at 3400+, driven partly by rear-firing pulse mediums.  While I think arguments can be made for the Prime, B, and C’s 3000+ BVs vice their capabilities, I don’t think the L is worth it.

With its high base speed and maxed out armor, the Iron Cheetah screams out for a shock cavalry/charging configuration or two with superchargers and all short-range loadouts, but there are none.  Pre-Revival, a supercharger with dual Ultra or LB-X 20s and secondary lasers, or just massed Streak SRMs and/or medium lasers, would have been pretty unique and scary.  After Revival, a supercharger with massed ATMs or heavy lasers would also have been a frightening addition.  Maybe even a radical heat sink.  True shock configurations that can run down big opponents and quickly kill them like, well, a cheetah.  The A and D have an AC/20 each and, while effective, don’t deliver the ultimate charge-of-death that the Iron Cheetah is almost uniquely capable of.

The B is the jumpy TC/pulse config that a munchy omni like the Iron Cheetah requires.  But a true long-range munch configuration, like a Widowmaker’s peepers and pulses with a TC, would also have been appreciated.

No matter what future configurations come down the line, glad she’s in the canon.
« Last Edit: 04 January 2022, 13:48:10 by Natasha Kerensky »
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #7 on: 04 January 2022, 16:41:58 »
honestly given the intent to have fast 100 tonner with BA carrying ability, i'm surprised it didn't spring for MASC.. 4/6(8 ) would be a real advantage, though it would cut 4 tons into the podspace. but that really wouldn't have hindered it much, IMO.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 04 January 2022, 16:50:30 »
That's what a Supercharger is for.

The Iron Cheetah is one of the best Omnis ever designed in terms of raw potential.  I don't think there are any changes I'd make even late into the game's tech timeline.  Maybe a specialty armor, but otherwise it's just well designed with no more fat to trim.  I'm looking forward to having an official mini.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #9 on: 04 January 2022, 17:18:05 »
Can you fit the Scylla/Storm Giant loadouts as configs?  I have been wondering about that but not played around with it.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #10 on: 04 January 2022, 17:28:53 »
Can you fit the Scylla/Storm Giant loadouts as configs?  I have been wondering about that but not played around with it.

I think you can mostly, at least for the Scylla - just a matter of whether to sacrifice a jump jet or a ton of ammo or two.
BATTLEMASTER

Coldstone

• Master Sergeant
  • Every battle is a lesson, waiting to be learned.
« Reply #11 on: 04 January 2022, 18:01:33 »
They really made that monster official? Interesting.
There's not to make reply
there's not to reason why
there's but to do, and die.
Into the valley of death rode the 600.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #12 on: 04 January 2022, 18:56:43 »
That's what a Supercharger is for.
supercharger didn't exist when this design was created though. both in and out of setting.

i suspect the lack of MASC was due to the fact that the olds rules for MASC made it really unpopular.. failing a roll basically crippled the mech entirely, basically destroyed the entire legs and caused the unit to fall. so the original Mechforce design would have been built in a time when MASC was not a common sight on custom units, even lights.

since the rules have changed to make MASC safer to use, i'd have expected the mechforce design to have been tweaked by catalyst to include MASC so it better fits the lore they gave it.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 04 January 2022, 19:00:10 »
It's already faster than a Dire Wolf, why change the entire design to make the... already accurate fluff technically more accurate?

That's what a Supercharger is for.  Whether it existed at the time is irrelevant, it exists now and you can use it for your own configs to remedy this arguably-not-an-issue.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #14 on: 04 January 2022, 19:04:38 »
I'm fine with it not having MASC.  If I really wanted something fast and tough that can hit back hard, especially for Elemental transport, I'd get an Ebon Jaguar, which has more pod space than an Executioner with about the same torso armor layout.  The Ebon Jaguar eliminates the risk of MASC failure, but it can't jump unless you're allowed custom configurations.  If you play with quirks, the narrow/low profile quirk for the Ebon Jaguar makes it tougher than the Executioner, IMO.

The Jaguars also have Warhawks, which are also faster than the Dire Wolf but of course don't have as much armor.  I think the super charger is as good as it's going to get for Clan 4/6 100-tonners with maximum armor.
BATTLEMASTER

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #15 on: 04 January 2022, 19:42:46 »
supercharger didn't exist when this design was created though. both in and out of setting.

Superchargers have existed since “Early Spaceflight”, i.e., in every BT era.  See the TacOps entry.

They obviously weren’t in the rules set until Jihad or so.  But pre-Revival Iron Cheetah configurations with superchargers could be created without breaking historical continuity.

Between blazers, superchargers, command consoles, that early ECM package on the first Raven, and maybe another item or two I’m forgetting, some interesting capabilities can be fielded even in the late Succession Wars.  I once redesigned several Lyran mechs (Zeus, Griffin, Commando, etc.) with this stuff as a Lyran counterweight/insurance against the NAIS as they joined the Federated Commonwealth.  But that’s another story.

An Iron Cheetah with blazers... now that’s the configuration we need.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Zeruel

• Lieutenant
  • the Angel of Might
    • Z's DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #16 on: 04 January 2022, 21:25:15 »
honestly given the intent to have fast 100 tonner with BA carrying ability, i'm surprised it didn't spring for MASC.. 4/6(8 ) would be a real advantage, though it would cut 4 tons into the podspace. but that really wouldn't have hindered it much, IMO.

because it would defeat the purpose of the Executioner
"I'll give the Bears this... they do not care about "being clan" one bit, and they own it." - cold1

"Question: Under zellbrigen, how does one engage Shadow Divisions?
Answer: With orbital bombardment."

73rd Battle Cluster - The Lash

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #17 on: 04 January 2022, 22:47:33 »

Or more it just wouldn't offer enough of an advantage over the Executioner.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #18 on: 04 January 2022, 23:25:15 »
Think 4/6 is plenty fast for a 100 Ton Omnimech with that much armor.

I first heard of Iron Cheetah on this forum some time ago with a post of a very professional fan-bash miniature. The handsome miniature and the stats intrigued me and I have been a fan of the design from then on.

Real world, the machine is very well designed with the AMS ammo being the only thing that hasn't age well (still forgivable IMO considering how many IS designs have too much MG ammo) and it is great to final see it become canon with the recognition of the fan who created it.

In universe, there is equally allot to love. The mech seemingly being a jigsaw of existing Omni's showcases the Clan mentality of leaving nothing to waste, sharing parts with the Clans existing totem to ease both logistics and maintenance. The Timber Wolf cockpit also makes sense as well considering engineers had to make room in the Dire Wolf like torso for the lager engine. The configuration are all based off battlefield proven weapon layouts of previous mechs, just solid all around.

Even the limited numbers make sense considering the mech was developed when Clan Smoke Jaguar was beginning to stretch their resources to the limit, also experimenting with Protmechs in the hopes of blustering their Clans offensive numbers. This would lead the Iron Cheetah into a thing a myth and legend, something new mechwarriors would only hear from veterans who fought the Clans during the bad old days, something that would mirror the 'Cheetahs rep with the community.

Just a 100 tons of mean fun and thanks the the Shark Foxes, plenty to go around :thumbsup:
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #19 on: 05 January 2022, 06:51:07 »

Not just defeat the purpose of the Executioner, but also make it obsolete.  The Iron Cheetah has a better torso armor layout and can pod-mount jump jets.  Throw MASC on top of that and the Jaguars have no reason to procure Executioners.

Also to be fair the lighter Ebon Jaguar can have better mobility than the Executioner for about the same overall durability, especially if quirks are in play.
BATTLEMASTER

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #20 on: 05 January 2022, 07:05:05 »
It's epic machine when it comes to moving in with firepower.  I just can't get to like the L Config.  I'd swap the weapons out while retaining the supercharger.  I did a double take when I saw the Large Pulse Lasers were the long range weapons.  Mech will be vulnerable to long range fire till It would be able close in with pulses.   
« Last Edit: 01 April 2023, 06:17:06 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #21 on: 05 January 2022, 10:04:55 »
It's also got a HAG 40.  It's not the most optimal thing to use a HAG at long range, but you can.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #22 on: 05 January 2022, 10:22:07 »
An old favorite that I'm glad glad got canonized. I'm actually surprised they left the B as it was. It's one great big hunk of jumpy-pulsey-targy cheese.  :thumbsup:

The chassis has tons of potential for future growth. I'm seeing a new fan favorite for years to come.

I'm surprised no one's tried the kitbash with the new Kickstarter minis yet.
I have spoken.

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #23 on: 05 January 2022, 22:46:45 »
I'm going to post the story of how it got canonized again because it's got an air of destiny about it. During the development phase, it came up that another assault Omni was needed. As I'd just written the Dominator entry, one of the hooks of which was how Alaric used it to sway Wolf's Dragoons to his side, I immediately suggested the Iron Cheetah, as a way for Alaric to try luring the Fiedlis the same way. At this point, Hour of the Wolf had not yet come out, and I had no insight into how things would go down between the Wolves and the Fidelis. I was just spitballing. There was some waffling for a while, until it was finally given the green light.

Kismet called shortly after. A canon character request came in through the Kickstarter for Canis Dirus. The requestor was a friend of David Briedis, who sadly has passed, and he wanted to name the character with Bredis' call sign in his honor. He also requested, rather humbly, if we could canonize the Iron Cheetah. The 'Mech was already approved, but this sequence of events simply proved that we were in fact bringing it in at the right time.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #24 on: 05 January 2022, 23:15:09 »
That's just an awesome story.

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #25 on: 06 January 2022, 06:27:15 »
Thank you for sharing that story!  I always enjoy reading tidbits like that from the writers :)  I just wish there were more notes like that from at least TRO3050!

I noticed that David's name and callsign were canonized as a notable pilot in the RecGuide entry, which is all kinds of awesome  :thumbsup:
BATTLEMASTER

Yu Kigono

• Private
« Reply #26 on: 06 January 2022, 17:09:52 »
He was also known for doing extremely accurate schematics of ships from the Reboot Battlestar Galactica, entirely with MS Paint. And thanks to this article, I realized that the two David Briedis in question here, were the same person.

Demiurge

• Sergeant
  • What matters is it catches mice
« Reply #27 on: 13 January 2022, 04:16:44 »
Jal Phoenix's story seals it; this thing was just meant to be.

This mech is a monster.  My eyes kinda bugged out when I saw the title of this topic.  Surely not, I thought, maybe they're just re-using the name; the old MFUK Iron Cheetah is kind of broken.

I could have sworn that the original prime variant had the weapons more spread out, including torso-mounted missile racks, and the thing was fluffed as looking like a gigantic MadCat.  Putting everything in the arms and describing it as being optimized for elemental carrying duties gives it more character, assuming I'm not mis-remembering the original.

With that said, the prime is right up there with the Hellstar in terms of brutal, uncompromising optimization.  Like, to the point that you'll need to be a little careful in exactly how you allow this thing into your games.

(puts on loremaster robes of ancient neckbeard history +5)

So, the thing about Battletech is that it's really not a pure wargame.  It's a wargame/RPG hybrid, and once upon a time there were actually a lot of those running around, which only makes sense because RPGs grew out of wargames, and the two genres weren't entirely differentiated at first.  If you look up the rules for first edition WH40K, for instance, there's still a referee/dungeon master type of person who helps the game go along because first edition WH40K rules were basically janky and ambiguous enough that if you didn't have someone smoothing things out for the opposing players, shenanigans would ensue.

Classic Battletech is more towards the wargame side of the spectrum, but it ain't chess.  It is not a perfectly balanced competitive game that two players can reasonably play without a referee to mediate rules disputes if they're trying their damnedest to win.  If you want the games to be fun, you need to have someone, not necessarily a referee or GM exactly, but someone who is knowledgeable enough about the game to keep it from degenerating in any of the many ways it can degenerate.  This includes things like house rules about being able to hit people who use more than one Rifleman IIC with a chair.

(removes robes)

The fluff for the Iron Cheetah does a great job of hinting at exactly how you're supposed to employ this thing in games.  It's supposed to be rare.  In the Operation Bulldog era it's like some sort of late-war Nazi superweapon; thing is nasty as all getup, but fortunately the nasties didn't get a chance to make many of them.  Later on it's only being produced in limited numbers for small-ish, secret-ish forces on the downlow.  There aren't any likely scenarios where you would run into lots of these things, and that's good.

Because running into lots of Iron Cheetahs would be intensely un-fun.  The weakest variants are the A, which you might be able to kite to death because it's only 4/6 but which still sports dual CLPLs and will insta-gib anything that doesn't stay away from it, the C, which doesn't have any headchoppers, and the L, which is just kinda goofy in general.  But not like, harmlessly goofy.  Rabid laser rotating blades of death with whimsical smiley faces on them sort of goofy.  It's not a completely optimal way to maul things to death but it will do the job quite well enough.

The other variants?  Oh boy, don't spring those on other players unless everyone is experienced and remembers the safeword.  The prime has three long-range headchoppers, and moves 4/6 and has max armor.  The B is a textbook how to break the game pulse laser TC jumper.  The D is... kinda goofy, but goofy like an M249 SAW that has a trucknuts vertical foregrip zip-tied to the handguard and is painted metallic purple.  It's still plenty lethal, just I question some of the choices that have been made.

Now, if it were me I would have skipped the ferro-fibrous.  Clan energy weapons are really broken, and the extra crit space is more valuable than three and a half tons for cramming in additional DHS when going with lightshow type configurations.  But this is the sort of optimization that would make the design even more un-fun.  And also it would basically be a Hellstar wearing a wig.

The only other complaint I have is that this is a really shining example of how useless post-3050 Clantech is.  Except for the L this thing has no new toys, and it suffers not at all for it.
« Last Edit: 13 January 2022, 04:19:17 by Demiurge »

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: 31 March 2023, 20:14:47 »
A greats write up on a very interesting design! Question: do you think one or two of these would have been assigned to Tau galaxy? If I remember correctly they had brand spanking new mechs and I think unseen designs?

Or would it have been restricted to keshiks for the khans?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #29 on: 31 March 2023, 21:00:48 »
Tau Galaxy was earmarked to receive the best of the best equipment in Clan Smoke Jaguar.  It definitely would have been in line to receive the Iron Cheetah, since it was assembled in 3056-3058 while the Cheetah debuted in 3054 (according to the MUL).  Though as an extremely rare mech, there probably weren't more than 1 or 2 of them in it.

Register