Author Topic: (Answered) Black Ice  (Read 1107 times)

pheonixstorm

• Major
(Answered) Black Ice
« on: 18 December 2022, 23:15:59 »
TO:AR 4th corrected printing
p38 Black Ice
p48 Ice
p61 Careful Movement

So real world no one really knows where black ice will form but it doesn't always occupy the entire roadway. In BattleTech.. the RAW aren't as clear.

Whenever a ’Mech or non-hover vehicle enters any paved hex,
immediately roll 1D6. On a result of 5 or 6, ice has formed in that
hex; all rules that apply to ice (see p. 48) are immediately applied,
as appropriate, to that hex.
Reading this makes me think that the paved hex should now be treated as a permanent ice/black ice hex but the wording isn't exactly clear. As above, using the real world logic you could make the assumption that anyone who enters the hex would be at the mercy of the dice gods any time they enter that particular pavement hex or any other.

Which is correct? Does the hex automatically become an ice/black ice hex or are we at the mercy of the dice gods each time someone enters said hex?

As for careful movement, am I correct to assume that the +1mp to enter a Black Ice hex is only paid if and when the roll is a 5 or 6?
« Last Edit: 07 January 2023, 14:14:09 by Hammer »

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
Re: (Research) Black Ice
« Reply #1 on: 07 January 2023, 14:13:59 »
Which is correct? Does the hex automatically become an ice/black ice hex or are we at the mercy of the dice gods each time someone enters said hex?
Once a hex is determined to be black ice it says like that for the duration of the game.

As for careful movement, am I correct to assume that the +1mp to enter a Black Ice hex is only paid if and when the roll is a 5 or 6?
The decision to forego careful movement would have to be declared before moving their units.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

pheonixstorm

• Major
Re: (Answered) Black Ice
« Reply #2 on: 07 January 2023, 21:35:14 »
So treat all paved hexes (road bridge, pavement) as possible black ice and pay the extra +1 for careful movement when black ice is part of the game. Just wanted to make sure I understand that correctly.

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #3 on: 07 January 2023, 22:19:45 »
So treat all paved hexes (road bridge, pavement) as possible black ice and pay the extra +1 for careful movement when black ice is part of the game. Just wanted to make sure I understand that correctly.

Correct
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 08 January 2023, 00:09:54 »
Thanks