Author Topic: Will the Games relocate?  (Read 3853 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Will the Games relocate?
« on: 12 June 2023, 10:27:35 »
Solaris VII has been conquered by the Wolves.  The stables still operate but their gladiatorial games have been interrupted with Crusader Wolf warriors declaring Trials of Possession for a mechwarrior (Sharpnel story) thus 'harvesting' talent from the Solaris games . . . and how can you have a tournament if all the best warriors keep getting removed from the talent pool?

Do you think the Solaris Games will relocate to another world outside of Wolf control?  Should it for in universe/character reasons?  for OOC/meta reasons?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
Re: Will the Games relocate?
« Reply #1 on: 12 June 2023, 10:34:11 »
There are two options: wait until the Mariks or Steiners return (maybe even a possible uprising like what happened during the Jihad) or the Games might die. After all which alternatives are there? When it comes to Mech games the only real known alternative would be the Noisiel games and those are more meant for Mech sports not Mech battles. What other big game worlds are there? Westerhand has been dead for decades. Maybe Herotitus? But that is in the Periphery.
And we still have a blackout over the Is. Promoting new games might be very difficult. Not to mention to rebuild the whole infrastructure from scratch

VanVelding

• Warrant Officer
    • Powered by Indifference, Focused by Caffeine
« Reply #2 on: 12 June 2023, 14:59:55 »
I assume that like wrestling there have always been lesser, local venues.

I think the TRO Dark Age fluff from 3250 suggests the games are still ongoing and their value at keeping the masses in line is noted. IIRC.

Not every booze-soaked showboating ****** who can handle themselves in a fight is going to be gang-pressed by the ilClan.

And not every disciplined winner with their eye on the prize is going to lose their Trial of Possession. After all, what match could have higher stakes than the one that makes a mechwarrior literally fight the power or else lose their Solaris career?
Co-host of 17 to 01 and The Beige and The Bold. I also have a dusty old blog about whatever comes to mind vanvelding.blogspot.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #3 on: 12 June 2023, 15:22:04 »
And not every disciplined winner with their eye on the prize is going to lose their Trial of Possession. After all, what match could have higher stakes than the one that makes a mechwarrior literally fight the power or else lose their Solaris career?

Because like every other human endeavor, the Trial has hypocrisy built in?  If you read the Shrapnel story, the Clan warrior winning was expected though the Solaris warrior was not going to roll over.

NOW, it could have been part of Alaric's strategy to take Terra by finding talent where it could be observed and let the Games return to what they were . . . supplemented by the regular Trials of Reaving/Propagation/etc on Solaris.  But warriors went to Solaris to do something besides be a warfighter- would talent from the five Houses still travel to Solaris and run that risk?  Of course as it was pointed out, how many know Solaris is a Wolf possession by 3150?
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #4 on: 12 June 2023, 15:36:02 »
I think the TRO Dark Age fluff from 3250 suggests the games are still ongoing and their value at keeping the masses in line is noted. IIRC

I wouldn't read too much into that. The 3250 stuff is semi-canon at best, written and published back when a time jump to 3250 was on the table.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

paladin2019

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 12 June 2023, 15:55:42 »
Something tells me that could be one of the most dangerous trials of possession ever. Like, potentially Smoke Jaguars vs. Morgan Kell on Luthien dangerous. So, of course, clan warriors would jump at the chance to dragoon a Solaris champion. How many trials of position would have to be fought for that job?
<-- first 'mech I drove as a Robotech destroid pilot way back when

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #6 on: 12 June 2023, 16:00:39 »
I think the TRO Dark Age fluff from 3250 suggests the games are still ongoing and their value at keeping the masses in line is noted. IIRC.

I wouldn't read too much into that. The 3250 stuff is semi-canon at best, written and published back when a time jump to 3250 was on the table.

The Shrapnel story about the annual/semi-annual/quarterly? Trials of Reaving/Propagation would also go to give the masses circuses, especially if they sprinkle in Trials of Position/Possession/Grievance between the regular fetes to keep up some sort of action.
Colt Ward

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #7 on: 12 June 2023, 16:18:06 »
As far I'm aware, their still going.  Wolf Empire has been harvesting MechWarriors from the games to bolster their forces prior to their push to Terra.

Why kill the goose that lays the gold eggs?  There was short story, of MechWarrior who forcefully recruited by the Wolves and he had his son join Clan to be taken care of.  Since his wife left him and his son.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 12 June 2023, 18:46:39 »
I think you're all forgetting an obvious possiability here.
Revolt.
Alaric pulled all the frontline warriors away, now suddenly you have a planet with a population of highly armed mechwarriors and no garrison. I can't see that ending well for the wolves
The Suns will shine again

CJC070

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 12 June 2023, 19:11:22 »
As far I'm aware, their still going.  Wolf Empire has been harvesting MechWarriors from the games to bolster their forces prior to their push to Terra.

Why kill the goose that lays the gold eggs?  There was short story, of MechWarrior who forcefully recruited by the Wolves and he had his son join Clan to be taken care of.  Since his wife left him and his son.

Why did Alaric screw over the Wolf Dargoons and why did he intentionally throw fire at the Dominion?  Not to mention the Clan way IS NOT PERFECT.  If the garrison makes a few to many mistakes (ie angers the stables) Solaris will become another front in war against the iClan.

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #10 on: 12 June 2023, 19:32:43 »
Why did Alaric screw over the Wolf Dargoons

As revenge for the Dragoons betraying the Clans.

and why did he intentionally throw fire at the Dominion? 

To be fair, we don't actually know for sure if Alaric intended for the events in DD to happen the way they did. All we know for sure is that Alaric was trying to get the Bears to kiss the ring with more enthusiasm than the tepid support he was getting from the first referendum.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 12 June 2023, 19:40:07 »
TBH, if the Dominion vote was challenged, at 50%+1, that's an additional clip of ammo to the forces defending the vote. at 75% approval the bidding to defend the verdict would start at 3 to 1 (If I'm wrong, math is hard!)

VanVelding

• Warrant Officer
    • Powered by Indifference, Focused by Caffeine
« Reply #12 on: 12 June 2023, 22:27:47 »
As revenge for the Dragoons betraying the Clans.
Eminently reasonable. That'll teach the descendants of the descendants of the original Clan mission not to arrange Tukayyid, splinter Clan Wolf, and cripple Clan Jade--oh wait.

Clan Wolf seeking 100-year-later vengeance is irrational. And irrational people are why we created stories about geese laying gilded eggs. Alaric Wolf being a dipshit is always an x-factor; this universe wouldn't turn if folks didn't make stupid decisions.

Because like every other human endeavor, the Trial has hypocrisy built in?  If you read the Shrapnel story, the Clan warrior winning was expected though the Solaris warrior was not going to roll over.
Some X are Y. That does not mean all X are Y. If every Clan challenger issued a batchall and then dropped with overwhelming force--regardless of the defender's declared opposing forces--then a Trial of Possession just becomes a "raid." My impression of the Dark Age is that Inner Sphere and Clan mechwarriors alike still engage in honor duels so some form of honor and equitable fighting has to be around, save for individual warrior skill.

Without the equity promised by the pretenses of the Clan honor system, why would a kidnapped Solaris VII mechwarrior be any better than a WWI conscript?

Alternatively, who would even want a warrior you had to cheat to beat? "I can't take this warrior in a fair fight; I can't wait until we're fighting back-to-back. They love me." If they needed warm bodies, aren't there a ****** of Trueborn washouts with actual 'mech training

Also, a one-on-one duel can only be so unfair in a universe with gauss rifles, blazers, and Clan PPCs.

Canon's gonna do what canon do, but when strained for troops, kidnapping charismatic winners from a heavily armed planet of opportunistic lucre-warriors...well BrianDavion said it in detail, but there's a reason even the elites of a society have to maintain the pretenses of the social mores they hold the populace to. When they get sloppy with their corruption--and maybe this is just conjecture--the populace takes that as a cue and the whole social fabric disintegrates.
Co-host of 17 to 01 and The Beige and The Bold. I also have a dusty old blog about whatever comes to mind vanvelding.blogspot.

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 13 June 2023, 06:00:49 »
I think you're all forgetting an obvious possiability here.
Revolt.
Alaric pulled all the frontline warriors away, now suddenly you have a planet with a population of highly armed mechwarriors and no garrison. I can't see that ending well for the wolves

If I remember correctly Empire Alone gave hints that Solaris VII still has a garrison even after the fall of Terra and that they are dealing with some insurgents / low level revolts. They also had to pay a premium to get new gear from the foxes and on closer inspection they realized they paid for wolf gear produced on Terra. Basically they paid for something they should get for free. The question will be if Solaris VII stays a part of the Empire or if it will fall back to the Mariks or the Steiners (my money would be the Mariks at least they are doing something). Let's not forget Solaris VII is not only home to many warriors but also a site of several companies that produce milltech. Companies like VEST or Blue-Shot Weapons not only build gear for the games but also for sale on the open market

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 13 June 2023, 10:59:43 »
Let's remember that the Mariks decided to bombard the heck out of Solaris during the First Succession War and the Solarans have strong feelings on that. Heck, given the scorched earth campaign that the FWL inflicted on the Bolan Thumb, they may not be seen as the liberators you want them to be seen as. Alaric did something very powerful when he announced he was claiming the Archonship of the Lyran Commonwealth. He went from an outside invader to just another claimant. Who are you going to side with? The Archon, or the fiends who scorched your world?

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: 13 June 2023, 13:49:40 »
Let's remember that the Mariks decided to bombard the heck out of Solaris during the First Succession War and the Solarans have strong feelings on that. Heck, given the scorched earth campaign that the FWL inflicted on the Bolan Thumb, they may not be seen as the liberators you want them to be seen as. Alaric did something very powerful when he announced he was claiming the Archonship of the Lyran Commonwealth. He went from an outside invader to just another claimant. Who are you going to side with? The Archon, or the fiends who scorched your world?

But now he is the guy who threw them away just to hide behind a wall on Terra. Not exactly the best impression. Just like his mother found out when she took over the Federated suns from Victor and some Lyrans began wondering if they had been stepping stones.

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 13 June 2023, 15:27:13 »
It's still better than the impression having a two ton shell drop on your home from high orbit gives.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #17 on: 13 June 2023, 16:14:00 »
Hunter's Paradise

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Gorgon

• Warrant Officer
  • The little duchy that could
« Reply #18 on: 13 June 2023, 17:59:46 »
Hunter's Paradise

Yes, gives the Timbuktu Collective finally some stagelight.
Jude Melancon lives!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #19 on: 13 June 2023, 19:50:31 »
Solaris' fate depends on what the Star Lord and his Clan allies can do remake themselves into army to march across the Inner Sphere.

Will they remake the Hegemony? Its possible, it was part Star League too.   Solaris could get scooped up if they manage straighten themselves out.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Caesar Steiner for Archon

• Captain
  • I think I'm dehydrated. What day is it?
« Reply #20 on: 13 June 2023, 20:20:01 »

Being the Archon has nothing to do with who your dad is, it's a vote of the Estates General. It's not going to sway you unless you're already predisposed to lick boot AND you have less understanding of civics than Victor.

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 13 June 2023, 20:25:30 »
They will not care. An Essex uses Barracuda launchers, you would be better off using naval autocannons if you wanted to bombard a planet.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 13 June 2023, 21:07:33 »
deleted
« Last Edit: 13 June 2023, 21:09:12 by Minemech »

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #23 on: 14 June 2023, 10:12:37 »

Responding to the OP, I don’t think the Solaris games proper would relocate, but some competitors, stables, and investors would logically relocate to other game worlds like Noisiel and Westerhand.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #24 on: 14 June 2023, 10:33:03 »
Galatea has some gladiatorial arenas, IIRC.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #25 on: 16 June 2023, 19:34:24 »
Galatea has some gladiatorial arenas, IIRC.
Issue is that's within striking distance of Terra.  Given it was part of the Republic, it could ultimately end up part of whateveritis going to be coming out of there.

Clan Star League/Hegemony-whatever it is.  Then the party will be over, for mercenaries on planet and the games there.

Hardcore in Magistracy of Canopus on other hand will likely weather storm for bit.

Starfury

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #26 on: 05 August 2023, 15:30:34 »
The Games aren't going anywhere. There's a blurb in either Empires Alone or Dominions Divided about how some Solaris Mechwarriors break out of a fight to engage the local Wolf constabulary and garrison, but that's it. Solaris VII is a deeply embedded part of the lore (witness its use in the Shrapnel story about the Urbanmech rebellion), and people still come to it in droves. If the Games did movie, Nosiel would be the most logical place.

Caesar Steiner for Archon

• Captain
  • I think I'm dehydrated. What day is it?
« Reply #27 on: 10 August 2023, 12:44:39 »
Pretty shit proposition. "Hey if you do a good job at Solaris, instead of becoming a celebrity you can be a second-class citizen in Alaric's gang of bootlickers!" I'd definitely take my chances on Herotitus, Noisel or anywhere else first.

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.

CJC070

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: 11 August 2023, 22:08:35 »
Pretty shit proposition. "Hey if you do a good job at Solaris, instead of becoming a celebrity you can be a second-class citizen in Alaric's gang of bootlickers!" I'd definitely take my chances on Herotitus, Noisel or anywhere else first.

If Alaric squeezes Solaris too much I would agree.  We have to wait because we may get a lot of Wolves who may seek glory since the iClan is now a fact and not everyone was at Terra.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #29 on: 12 August 2023, 09:27:07 »
You never know, the Solaris arenas could be source allowing their Warriors to do Trials to vent their frustrations. 

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #30 on: 12 August 2023, 10:48:55 »
You never know, the Solaris arenas could be source allowing their Warriors to do Trials to vent their frustrations.

. . . literally happened in fiction.
Colt Ward

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #31 on: 12 August 2023, 14:18:59 »

As late as 3146, they were using the arenas as venues for Trials during the Great Reaving for that year, per Shrapnel #3. So there's definitely a precedent for it.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #32 on: 12 August 2023, 14:40:27 »
But now he is the guy who threw them away just to hide behind a wall on Terra. Not exactly the best impression. Just like his mother found out when she took over the Federated suns from Victor and some Lyrans began wondering if they had been stepping stones.

Alaric: Decided he wanted to be a First Lord/ilKhan on Terra rather than the Archon of the Lyran Commonwealth.

just like his mommy decided she'd rather be a Princess on New Avalon, than a Lyran Archon.

I'd say you've got a good point there.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #33 on: 12 August 2023, 19:16:54 »
Says something about the Lyran Commonwealth when nobody wants to rule the place.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

BysonDamen

• Recruit
« Reply #34 on: 21 September 2023, 06:10:29 »
The situation on Solaris VII sounds pretty intense. Relocating the Games could make sense both in the universe and for meta reasons. It'd keep the competition fresh and exciting. Plus, it'd be a smart move to preserve the talent pool. Let's see what the Mechwarrior universe has in store for the Solaris Games next! Though I like to play games for money, I enjoy this one as well. I hope it will be good!
« Last Edit: 25 September 2023, 06:19:52 by BysonDamen »