Author Topic: Which Mechwarriors are the most "unhinged"  (Read 3644 times)

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
Which Mechwarriors are the most "unhinged"
« on: 01 September 2023, 21:42:25 »
I remember reading in the old CityTech manual one of the short stories that talked about Locust pilots being the craziest.  But after Tex's latest narrative about the Hunchback, I am starting to rethink that.  I mean to pilot a mech that has such short range reach, while at the same time making you target #1.  That has to take a special level of "I couldn't give 2 (insert flavor of the day here)".  So what do you all say?  Which pilot type generally has to be the most unhinged to keep climbing into their walking death machine (maybe for thee maybe for me)?   I'm just thinking about the basic models, not something like some of the variants that have such thin armor that an 8 year old with a slingshot could give it a TAC.

Minemech

• Captain
Re: Which Mechwarriors are the most "unhinged"
« Reply #1 on: 01 September 2023, 21:50:00 »
 Any voluntary pilot of a Hunchback IIC or SHD-2D Shadow Hawk.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #2 on: 01 September 2023, 21:50:44 »
Charger 1a1.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 01 September 2023, 22:13:19 »
 Honestly many designs call for crazy piloting for optimal effect. I think that Alexander Knight designed the Quasimodo with just that mentality in mind, and it is terrifying when fielded by someone who knows what they are doing. He also named it after part of the season of Easter where a famous adoption took place.

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 02 September 2023, 03:52:23 »
Porcupine. Anyone who pilots a light Mech whose purpose are RAMMING attacks must be crazy

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #5 on: 02 September 2023, 03:59:11 »
Porcupine. Anyone who pilots a light Mech whose purpose are RAMMING attacks must be crazy

Put the Scorpion Empire's Rhino on that list, too!

(We need art for this 'Mech yesterday, damn it.)
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 02 September 2023, 08:16:47 »
Aren’t Ghost Bear fire moth pilots canonically super aggressive because they don’t want to just be BA transports.

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 02 September 2023, 09:48:06 »
I've always wondered if melee 'mech drivers get up there in terms of that emotional/mental "scream as I hatchet or lance or mace things."

The Combine samurai are probably relying more on controlled aggression, where they can turn it on and off due to mental discipline. Fight's on "Banzai!" Fight hard fight hard fight hard...Fight's over. Stop, breath, think, bow.

But I can easily imagine other mechwarriors in a melee machine just getting into that "roar slice and dice" parts flying everywhere, sparks flying everywhere, scream!!!!!"

To the point where that mechwarrior's comrades are having to be wary about accidentally becoming the next target that mechwarrior is going to take a swing at. While you are yelling "friendly!" at them.

And then when you become that hammer...everything starts to look like a nail. So, it could impact your mental state outside of combat as well. I dare argue that's the kind of person you DON'T want driving a melee 'mech. You want a more controlled individual, a disciplined mind, behind that big weapon. But you might not start to see how unhinged they are becoming until it's already happened.

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 02 September 2023, 12:56:40 »
This reminds me of one of the noteable pilots in the Gunsmith TRO: said pilot is usually calm and collected but flies in a beserker rage when bullied or getting shot at. The commander throiught it would be a good idea to give him a Gunsmith as an outlet for his aggressions

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 02 September 2023, 18:38:30 »
I've always wondered if melee 'mech drivers get up there in terms of that emotional/mental "scream as I hatchet or lance or mace things."

The Combine samurai are probably relying more on controlled aggression, where they can turn it on and off due to mental discipline. Fight's on "Banzai!" Fight hard fight hard fight hard...Fight's over. Stop, breath, think, bow.

But I can easily imagine other mechwarriors in a melee machine just getting into that "roar slice and dice" parts flying everywhere, sparks flying everywhere, scream!!!!!"

To the point where that mechwarrior's comrades are having to be wary about accidentally becoming the next target that mechwarrior is going to take a swing at. While you are yelling "friendly!" at them.

And then when you become that hammer...everything starts to look like a nail. So, it could impact your mental state outside of combat as well. I dare argue that's the kind of person you DON'T want driving a melee 'mech. You want a more controlled individual, a disciplined mind, behind that big weapon. But you might not start to see how unhinged they are becoming until it's already happened.

Well, that is to be expected when the other Mechwarriors gave the Highlander's Pilot the nickname of Mario.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 02 September 2023, 18:45:56 »
 Now I want a mech that throws barrels.

CJC070

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 02 September 2023, 20:27:25 »

Camachos Caballeros trilogy was full of mentally questionable characters.  I think one rode a Hatchetman and was singing when facing a Grand Dragon.  It also mentioned most pilots of Firestarters can be serious pyromaniacs.

17thRecon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 03 September 2023, 01:16:18 »
The Mechwarrior that voluntarily pilots an Avenging Angel Vindicator, maybe?

“Half the armor, but I can jump 30 more meters?!?! Sign me up, baby!”
« Last Edit: 03 September 2023, 01:18:16 by 17thRecon »

Lone-Wolf

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 03 September 2023, 06:23:43 »
I would say any mechwarrior that pilots a mech where the heat of the guns outnumber the heatsinks by a great margin.

Going in a sauna should be fun, but in a mech?
Heat leads to loss of fluids and this leads to impairment of thinking and judgement, so your always close to making a wrong decision that may lead to your death.

And lets not forget the advere effect of heat: Loss of mobility and lower chances of hitting the enemy.

Just think of it: You need your guns to keep the enemy at bay but because you dont have enough heatsinks you are at -2MP and +2 to hit.
Game over.

CJC070

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 03 September 2023, 07:13:47 »
Any pilot voluntarily going into a ballistic mech (any kind) with no case post 3050.

Caesar Steiner for Archon

• Captain
  • I think I'm dehydrated. What day is it?
« Reply #15 on: 05 September 2023, 16:16:22 »
Anything described as being for "anti-infantry operations." Firestarter, Pirahna, Scarecrow, that kind of thing. That's a pilot whose main stock in trade is watching people die by the dozens with every pull of a trigger (and they usually have MANY triggers).

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.

17thRecon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 06 September 2023, 03:10:13 »
Anything described as being for "anti-infantry operations." Firestarter, Pirahna, Scarecrow, that kind of thing. That's a pilot whose main stock in trade is watching people die by the dozens with every pull of a trigger (and they usually have MANY triggers).

I took the OP “unhinged” as the pilot was crazy to strap himself into a Mech that had glaring deficiencies (ie; a deathtrap) over and over but kind of enjoyed it. You took a slightly different approach, and I like it. These guys you’re talking about were the guys burning ants with magnifying glasses when they were kids. Thinking back to the Firestarter fluff, they talk about how they were initially deployed at the regimental level instead of as line troops. I’m picturing the Firestarter pilot as that quirky quiet member of the regimental command company that has his own little tent off to the side of the mobile HQ, that no one really bothers until A company calls on the radio and the XO has to walk over to his tent and says “hey Johnny, we’ve got some dug in infantry that needs addressing down in Alpha’s operating area”.
« Last Edit: 06 September 2023, 03:12:18 by 17thRecon »

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #17 on: 06 September 2023, 17:03:59 »
Flea pilots. Especially the Fire Ant variant.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #18 on: 18 September 2023, 19:00:52 »
My 1st take would be the anti-Inf mech jocks

Next would be any mech designed real combat with most weapons under 270m and top speed of 64kph or less.

Recon Mech Pilot are most likely touched as their jobs are "move in" find the enemy and then get out of dodge
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #19 on: 20 September 2023, 15:21:19 »
The Correct answer is "Cappelan" and is not based on any single mech type :)
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 20 September 2023, 15:38:06 »
While the Capellans are certainly known for being war crime friendly, traditionally the DCMS are even better known for their abhorrent brutality. New Delos never compared to Kentares. Furthermore, if I had to name the five deadliest regiments in the history of the Inner Sphere, the 2nd Sword of Light would certainly be on the list, but not so with the Red Lancers or any warrior house.
« Last Edit: 20 September 2023, 15:40:19 by Minemech »

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #21 on: 20 September 2023, 17:59:02 »
Two types come to mind:

Those that were attacked by Inferno SRM Infantry, Black Cats and Crazy non-Maneri Domini Cyborgs, CityTech...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 20 September 2023, 18:34:34 »
but not so with the Red Lancers or any warrior house.
The "Death Commandos" on the other hand........... I mean, "Death" is in the name :)
And leadership like Max & Kali.....
Oh and then there is that whole Thugee Cult thingy.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #23 on: 16 October 2023, 15:24:55 »
Anyone who either voluntarily chooses a SDH-2D or at least doesn't protest vociferously it being assigned to him/her...

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: 17 October 2023, 14:32:46 »
Not a Mech pilot but any pilot who likes flying a Peregrine into combat must certainly be unhinged

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #25 on: 17 October 2023, 15:43:17 »
Not a Mech pilot but any pilot who likes flying a Peregrine into combat must certainly be unhinged

The sky's black with anger, it's raining Flak and the orbitillery is falling hard, what a good day to fly! Hopefully, your path leads away from the bright horizon...

TT
« Last Edit: 17 October 2023, 15:44:50 by truetanker »
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 20 October 2023, 19:01:41 »
Anyone who either voluntarily chooses a SDH-2D or at least doesn't protest vociferously it being assigned to him/her...

Hey man, the DaviHawk is a brute, a bully, a real beast..........    Stingers everywhere cringe at the idea of facing one  :wink:

Which is to say, I'm fairly certain the D-Hawk should only ever be assigned as a Lance Leader for Bugs to give them some LRM/AC5 support & not face anything those same bugs wouldn't also face.

ckosacranoid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: 24 October 2023, 21:31:14 »
Urbanmech pilots.....driving a trashcan.....

Walrus Gumboot

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #28 on: 25 October 2023, 11:39:58 »
8th Lyran Regulars.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #29 on: 26 October 2023, 12:59:26 »
"Killer" from the MW1 PC game.

He *claimed* to love watching villages burn and then eating the bodies. Tops my list.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman