Author Topic: What if Simulation: RISC Laser Pulse Module and RISC APDS invented by NAIS in SW  (Read 844 times)

Izzy193

• Warrant Officer
Disclaimer: This is a what if simulation, so it deviates from established lore to varying degrees. Also expect such a scenario below to be highly improbable for the era it's set in.

Scenario: this Scenario Takes two RISC technologies and puts them in the hands of the NAIS during the SW era. Namely the RISC's Laser Pulse Module and Advanced Point Defence Systems. For the Sake of this scenario ComStar Does not discover this tech being developed and experimentally deployed until mid 3028 when it starts showing up in experimental capacity. This scenario also assumes that a Improved Version of both technologies are developed in later eras. With the kinks worked out of the Laser Pulse Module and improvements to the Advanced Point Defence System. This also assumes that the tech enters production in a limited capacity by 3040.

The Questions posed:

How much of an impact could the laser pulse module and Advanced Point Defence system have in such an Era?

Would said tech when the clans come knocking give the FedCom and the inner sphere at large some help?

Would the laser Pulse Module act as good stop gap until more efficient solutions came about?

How much of an improvement would both the Laser Pulse Module and Advanced Point Defence System be in the Succession Wars assuming they actually got developed?

Would Hanse actually invest into things like the Advanced Point Defence system and Laser Pulse Module Pre-Helm? After the hatchets and hatchet mans development that is.

I am fully aware of how improbably to outright impossible this scenario is, but humour the thought experiment. because well ComStar would try to snag such a team anyway. Since ComStar loves hoovering up talented individuals(or killing them to prevent others from having them).

AlphaMirage

• Major
I don't think APDS would have as much of an influence as actual AMS would except maybe in vehicles. Its certainly nice but the SW was the era in which the Autocannon was particularly prominent before DHS were invented and missiles, while prolific, weren't as much of a threat as they are in later eras with half-weight Clantech and Advanced Ammos. Also their main opponents are not the missile crazy Mariks but the PPC crazed Kurita and the tricky but weak Capellans.

As I have a similar thing (although we haven't gotten to it yet) in my fiction (although COMSTAR gets it) I think the Laser Pulse Module would be very helpful (particularly if you didn't uninvent DHS like I did) against the Clans, certainly it would be a surprise although it might drive them to capture and reverse engineer it themselves.

I don't think Hanse would invest in them however at the cost of his other ambitions (Taking over the Inner Sphere and putting his progeny on their thrones). The drawbacks in reliability and expense would leave them in the same place as Dr Banzai and his successor's other creations like the MUSE configurations.