Author Topic: List of underwater facilities?  (Read 966 times)

Alan Grant

• Captain
List of underwater facilities?
« on: 08 September 2023, 14:58:12 »
I'm wondering if anyone has ever made a partial or complete list of known canon-established underwater facilities found in the Inner Sphere/periphery.

That could mean aquafarming, underwater mining/refining, underwater cities, anything.

I'm somewhat interested in using these for some stories and such. I'm finding it very difficult to research what's out there however.

AlphaMirage

• Major
Re: List of underwater facilities?
« Reply #1 on: 08 September 2023, 15:20:19 »
New Avalon has some underwater command facilities
Kwangjong-ni has an underwater factory and aquaculture
Harjel is harvested from Strato Domingo by the Goliath Scorpions
there might be some on Matsuida since fishing is so vital to its economy
Galtor V has all kinds of subs in its turning point so underwater sites are possible
Chara III (Pacifica) is noted for underwater installations and being the homeworld of a CAAN regiment
Principia is noted as having Shipwrights according to the Kraken Unleashed Merc Writeup during the Jihad

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #2 on: 08 September 2023, 15:25:08 »
There's at least one underwater city on Tukayyid, with a sealed train running to it.

Many underwater habitats were built on Lackland, but ultimately abandoned due to the expense and to attacks by Mothers of the Ocean.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #3 on: 08 September 2023, 16:41:36 »
Sian has the Atlantis Undersea Resort.

The Wars of Reaving book had a domed underwater city on Vinton, Verne, that was a Diamond Shark holding.

Dagda in the Pentagon apparently has a ton of underwater mining operations, giving rise to the Water Elemental Mining Suits that led to the Elemental suits we know and love.

Interstellar Players 3 gave us the world of Frobisher in the Canopian Ruins region, where "untold billions of Star League dollars" were used to construct large underwater living quarters for the scientists doing genetic experiments.

The Neptune Submarine entry tells us that the FedSuns was using them for base defense after they had adopted the strategy to build fixed command posts underwater to protect the vital installations from orbital/aerospace bombardment, but no word on any specific facilities' locations other than Galtor V (and after the Combine conquered Galtor V during the 4th SW, they started using the Neptune the same way).

The Solaris VII "Aquagladius" 'Mech was built to fight in underwater arenas, and Solaris VII has one: The Pool, built in the remains of a Star League sewage treatment plant.

Lackland's local marquess had underwater habitats built at the end of the 3rd SW, but apparently they weren't very financially viable yet people were still living there (and considered it to be idyllic, despite the poor education system and lack of any real industries).

Far Reach in the Chainelane Isles had lots of underwater habitats and facilities in the Star League era, as they were a corporate hub of the RWR. However, they failed over time after the RWR collapsed.

Shimonita in the Combine had underwater mining facilities put in place by the Ozawa Mercantile Association (before the Kuritas took power), but they were rendered useless within a century due to poor maintenance routines and violent weather.

Apostica in the LyrCom had an underwater research station.

Helen in the DracCom had a large floating scientific research stationed called Aquanis in the Star League era, but it sank during the Succession Wars and is a popular underwater tourist attraction. Not sure if this counts for your purposes but I thought I should add it just in case.

Repulse in the CapCon is portrayed in the apocryphal German-language novel Gier as a frigid ocean world with domed underwater cities such as Guandoa.

Caselton in the FedSuns has several underwater and underground command centers and military bases.

Gravenhage in the DracCom was once a tropical planet with oceans before its desertification, and apparently hosted at least one underwater Star League research facility.
« Last Edit: 08 September 2023, 17:32:07 by tassa_kay »
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 08 September 2023, 20:57:49 »
Was there a book with various components for an underwater base?  Basically you would select components from it to make up the different parts of the base, like LEGO.  I.e. an underwater train tunnel would be composed of multiple tunnel segments that have train track segments inside them.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 08 September 2023, 21:17:04 »
There are rules for building underwater structures in Strategic Ops. Not quite LEGO components but understandable

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 09 September 2023, 09:07:35 »
The TRO3026 fluff for the Neptune submarine (iirc) mentioned that the FedSuns like to build underwater command posts on their stronghold worlds. It's definitely a thing.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #7 on: 10 September 2023, 02:02:44 »
If you built the building with light capital strength ferrocrete and armor that with standard Plate over it, should be able to suck boatloads of damage. Build a wall two hexes away that covers the entrances so that the full building is underground underwater. Or even inside a mountain cayon.

Box cayon mapsheet anyone?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #8 on: 10 September 2023, 04:34:12 »
boatloads of damage

I enjoyed this entirely too much.  :laugh:
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Register