Author Topic: Suggestions for a Rasalhague Unit?  (Read 4503 times)

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
Re: Suggestions for a Rasalhague Unit?
« Reply #60 on: 20 October 2023, 11:31:14 »
It might also be that the Lightning Company was more a "Striker" formation & the Titans were truly "Recon".

They were all 20-25 tons pretty much weren't they?   (Long time since I've read it)

Not a single Medium outside of the 2 Officers.

I would think a Lightning Company in the 4th SW would probably be packing a Lance of Griffin-1S & another of PhoenixHawk-1 in support of a single "Bug" lance.  Fast, but also with enough Firepower to threaten something.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #61 on: 20 October 2023, 15:06:27 »
The "Recon Company" of the 10th Skye Rangers were indeed light Mechs. I think they consisted mostly of Locusts, Commandos and Firestarters plus the Centurion and Hunchback of the CO and his aide.

But weren't Lightning companies something more akin to strikers with a punch? I would think in the line of maybe at least one lance of Blitzkrieg's. Though I could have sworn that some also included freaking Fafnir's which doesn't sound exactly like Lightning but more like Thunder.

Caesar Steiner for Archon

• Captain
  • I think I'm dehydrated. What day is it?
« Reply #62 on: 20 October 2023, 15:30:38 »
Looking over the 4SW Atlas, at the time the typical lightning company was two type 1 light lances and a type 2 light lance. A type 1 light lance is between 90 and 135 tons, all jump-capable and half of each lance armed with LRMs, while a type 2 light lance is 90 tons or less that is jump capable. The example formations given for each for Steiner are:

Type 1 - Whitworth x2, Stinger, Wasp
Type 2- Wasp x 2, Javelin, Stinger

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #63 on: 24 October 2023, 15:41:20 »
Interesting.

Whitworths seem a little.......... slow & un-Lyran to be "standard" examples, to me anyway.

The Griffin on the other hand feels right at home.
Sadly that would be too big for the unit given the Light Lance tonnage limits.

Actually...
Griffin, Valkyrie, Valkyrie, Wasp totals 135 exactly.
as does Griffin, Assassin, Wasp, Wasp

To me they should pack 1-2 lances of "Fast Mediums" in them, being built around Griffins for that LRM requirement also seems good.

Griffin, Griffin, PhoenixHawk, Vulcan  (195t)
Griffin, Griffin, PhoenixHawk, Firestarter  (190t)
Wasp, Wasp, Stinger, Stinger  (80t)

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Register