Author Topic: R variants of IS omnis  (Read 3577 times)

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
R variants of IS omnis
« on: 17 September 2023, 22:50:31 »
So I was looking at the first-gen IS omnis on Sarna and saw again their R (bulldog and serpent) variants.

Do you all think these became more and more common over time as clan tech became more common in IS designs? Or were these kinda operational knowledge variants only that never really saw service again outside of the Taskforces? The MUL lists them as sticking around but I don’t think there is any precedent for removing a Omni variant that isn’t unique over time.

I’d wager with all the mixed tech IS production and the a Foxes running around by more modern times they are basically just another variant.
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Minemech

• Captain
Re: R variants of IS omnis
« Reply #1 on: 17 September 2023, 23:05:15 »
Omni variants do go out like the pariah W Perseus, but there is generally an impetus behind it. Clan tech as you noted is far more common among Inner Sphere forces so the R versions are simply other choices. Field upgrades can become standard designs, perhaps a good example is the HER-5Sr Hermes II.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #2 on: 17 September 2023, 23:54:40 »
It's not just IS, Clans get tossed into using them as well.

Freebirth use...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 18 September 2023, 06:52:03 »
I imagine if the IS Omnis got a RecGuide style treatment, we’d get four or so variants each of various mixed tech weapons as the houses start building their own.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #4 on: 18 September 2023, 09:11:08 »
I imagine if the IS Omnis got a RecGuide style treatment, we’d get four or so variants each of various mixed tech weapons as the houses start building their own.

I would agree with this . . . especially since based on comments we will eventually get a re-issue of them with new art.  I think the Gen 1s would get issued all at once, but the Gen 2s being faction specific it would work for them to end up in the FM link 3150 box . . maybe with the TRO3145 faction Omni too, FREX the Cappies get a box with a Men Shen & Vandal.

What would be interesting, IMO, is the Gen1s getting a 'T' version of the Prime and being 90% Clan weapons.  So like the Black Hawk KU would carry 6 cERMLs & 4 cMPL instead of the IS versions along with either cERSL or Micro Pulse and the kicker being 2 Clan DHS instead of IS versions.  I mean, who would not want to run something like that?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #5 on: 18 September 2023, 09:55:40 »
and the kicker being 2 Clan DHS instead of IS versions. ?

Can you actually do that?
For some reason I thought you had to pick a HS Type and stick w/ it, no mixing HS even in "mixed tech".
The only exception was the Proto-DHS from 3039 (or Age of War)

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #6 on: 18 September 2023, 10:23:22 »
Only thing I recall is 'DHS or SHS' but I am not sure . . .

Other thing that might be interesting for a Black Hawk KU to control it's heat a bit more- since Clan energy weapons are cooler- use a pair of Chem Lasers instead of cERML, so 4 cERML, 4 cMPL, 2 Chem MLs, 2 cERSL . . . but you would have to drop one of those DHS for the ChemML ammo.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 18 September 2023, 12:09:44 »
I would agree with this . . . especially since based on comments we will eventually get a re-issue of them with new art.  I think the Gen 1s would get issued all at once, but the Gen 2s being faction specific it would work for them to end up in the FM link 3150 box . . maybe with the TRO3145 faction Omni too, FREX the Cappies get a box with a Men Shen & Vandal.

What would be interesting, IMO, is the Gen1s getting a 'T' version of the Prime and being 90% Clan weapons.  So like the Black Hawk KU would carry 6 cERMLs & 4 cMPL instead of the IS versions along with either cERSL or Micro Pulse and the kicker being 2 Clan DHS instead of IS versions.  I mean, who would not want to run something like that?

Some WYSIWYG “T” variants of the classic IS Omnis would be good stuff. I refuse to believe there would be some new variants in DA/ilClan.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #8 on: 18 September 2023, 12:15:38 »
Some WYSIWYG “T” variants of the classic IS Omnis would be good stuff. I refuse to believe there would be some new variants in DA/ilClan.

Huh?  you seem to be contradicting yourself.
Colt Ward

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 18 September 2023, 13:05:23 »
Huh?  you seem to be contradicting yourself.
Oops. Typo.

I refuse to believe there would not be new variants.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #10 on: 18 September 2023, 15:18:33 »
Oops. Typo.

I refuse to believe there would not be new variants.

Ok!  THAT I can buy . . . Plasma Rifles, TSEMP, iNARC, Clan weapons, all sorts of things could be available.  Lots of fun stuff possible.

You know what would also be interesting, the old prototype 'freezers' being put on the Striders & Owens.
Colt Ward

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 18 September 2023, 16:05:25 »
Other thing that might be interesting for a Black Hawk KU to control it's heat a bit more- since Clan energy weapons are cooler- use a pair of Chem Lasers instead of cERML, so 4 cERML, 4 cMPL, 2 Chem MLs, 2 cERSL 
Or, go "S" style with it.
6 MPLc, 4 ERSLc, 2 SPLc, for the weapon ports w/ option of DHS/C3S/TAG for the last ton.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #12 on: 18 September 2023, 16:28:52 »
Or, go "S" style with it.
6 MPLc, 4 ERSLc, 2 SPLc, for the weapon ports w/ option of DHS/C3S/TAG for the last ton.

The Ts were using the Prime and the BHK's Prime was to mimic the Nova, IMO it would be more interesting to do that than the S.  No TAG b/c you do not have a gun port, unless you drop one of the Smalls to be TAG- which is fine too IMO.
Colt Ward

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 18 September 2023, 17:17:58 »
The S-style above is designed to mimic the Prime but w/ lower heat weapons.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #14 on: 18 September 2023, 18:20:46 »
I understand, my personal preference would be that it more closely mimics the Nova Prime b/c the BHK Prime could not due to heat sinks.  The BHK Prime is more like the Nova S anyways.

Edit-
Just realized the way designations work with IS Omnis, it would be -OT . . . new challenge to TPTB, each must somehow play on Over Time!
« Last Edit: 18 September 2023, 18:27:03 by Colt Ward »
Colt Ward

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 18 September 2023, 19:51:07 »
S designation is for Scout.

Criteria needs jumpjets for urban movement and weapons that negates jump to-hits, also some type of AP mount(s).

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 18 September 2023, 20:34:18 »

Criteria needs jumpjets for urban movement and weapons that negates jump to-hits, also some type of AP mount(s).

TT

That’s not true?

S was the clan invasions City fighters.
There aren’t any IS first rounders with a S variant.
Most clan mechs past the OG 16 don’t have them.

I am looking forward to seeing what happens with the IS omnis and hope they follow up the R variants with some other good stuff.
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 18 September 2023, 22:03:24 »

TT
I thought S was for "short-ranged".  All of those configs are focused on short-ranged weapons (and mobility).
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 18 September 2023, 22:08:38 »
I don't know if it was ever stated to be a specific "term" for the S.

But yes, all of them were fairly Short Ranged w/ the LPL being the "long gun" for several.

They started out as City-Tech 2nd Edition variants IIRC for the 4 mechs included w/ CT2E.

SRMs, Pulse, & MGs were all fairly common as were JJ's.

And I think a couple new ones showed up in the Tukayid Book?  Or Rec Guides so that now we have like 6-7 of them instead of the OG 4.

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: 18 September 2023, 22:40:48 »
I thought S was for "short-ranged".  All of those configs are focused on short-ranged weapons (and mobility).

Nah. S is for Sity Fighting.

No, I’m not taking that back

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #20 on: 18 September 2023, 22:46:17 »
I don't know if it was ever stated to be a specific "term" for the S.

To add to the pile, most recently the Ravens have been using the S for their space-ops Omni configs. :laugh:
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 19 September 2023, 00:12:45 »
I've always been under the impression it was S for Scouting, Urban combat and as it is the only ones built with jumpjets, Space.

Most Omnis of the '50s and '60s we're not designed with those until Jihad era.

Pod-mounted was a thing... Officially, one could mount them only if assigned, you couldn't remove something for them. RS and all...

So, yeah...

OTIH, there's : 9 Dire Wolf variants in 3049...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 20 October 2023, 19:05:27 »
You say that like its a bad thing?   :shocked:
50.5 tons is a LOT of pod space.
Gotta try out all the different ideas, lol

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 20 October 2023, 23:33:34 »
You say that like its a bad thing?   :shocked:

I am, there's no Arrow variant, no Space Adaption, well the S could but no fuel tank for extended operations. Also, while I'm on it, why couldn't some of them be redesigned as an Armed Cargo carrier?

Couple of Energy weapons, and half podspace in cargo.

Just an idea,
TT
(I have those for my table, it saves me headaches later.)
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: 21 October 2023, 02:33:31 »
I am, there's no Arrow variant, no Space Adaption, well the S could but no fuel tank for extended operations. Also, while I'm on it, why couldn't some of them be redesigned as an Armed Cargo carrier?

Just wait until some bright head decides to mount a Long Tom on a Dire Wolf and calls it the Boomstick configuration

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 21 October 2023, 15:26:16 »
I have, haven't you yet?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: 22 October 2023, 11:31:37 »
Now I am trying to shoehorn 2 Sniper Guns onto a Dire Wolf. would that even work?

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #27 on: 22 October 2023, 12:00:39 »
Now I am trying to shoehorn 2 Sniper Guns onto a Dire Wolf. would that even work?

Sniper Artillery Pieces? Yes by mass, no by critical spaces.

Sniper Artillery Cannons? Yes to both.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Shin_Fenris

• Master Sergeant
  • Honor never dies
    • 357th Infernal Division
« Reply #28 on: 24 October 2023, 12:54:10 »
Sniper Artillery Pieces? Yes by mass, no by critical spaces.

Sniper Artillery Cannons? Yes to both.

Ruger

That's a special kind of sick that I like to see.
If this battlefield is Hell, then it is our home and wherever we go, Hell and chaos shall follow.

Lead 'Mech Wrangler: 357th Infernal Division, NE USA
Tai-sa Shiro "Fenris" Takeda, Mercenary: Kuroi Kaze (MAD-6KK Marauder II)
Galaxy Commander Zane Schmitt, Clan Blood Spirit: Iota Galaxy (Blood Kite 2)
Captain Brutus "Bloodsport" Carver, Mercenary: Song's Sentinels (SQS-TH-002 Sasquatch)
CI Backer #138 Merc Backer #32
Just here for KS info - y'all are too argumentative for real discussions.

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: 25 October 2023, 15:54:42 »
So coming back to a dual Sniper armed Dire Wolf.

If I have this right it would only be possible to build it if you strip the arms of it's actuators. Would that be possible? I mean it IS an Omni Mech and it would have 10 tons left for other equipment but I am not so well versed in the construction rules.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #30 on: 25 October 2023, 17:30:39 »
Tube arti doesn't seem to be a clan thing really.

I'd be fine with a double Arrow configuration w/ plenty of ammo & some supporting guns to keep back stabbers honest.

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: 26 October 2023, 02:26:09 »
There could always be the odd Dragoon who decides to copy Thor's Hammers

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #32 on: 26 October 2023, 16:29:50 »
Tube arti doesn't seem to be a clan thing really.

IIRC they still have access to it.  And even if it's not Clantech, mixed tech configurations are both legal and common by the Dark Age.

So coming back to a dual Sniper armed Dire Wolf.

If I have this right it would only be possible to build it if you strip the arms of it's actuators. Would that be possible? I mean it IS an Omni Mech and it would have 10 tons left for other equipment but I am not so well versed in the construction rules.

Yes, hand and lower arm actuators can be removed from an omni configuration with no issues unless the variant mounts fixed equipment that requires them to be present (such as a hatchet).  Though I know of no canon omnimechs that mount fixed equipment like that.  In fact, it's very common for omnimechs to swap out arm actuators between configurations: PPCs, autocannons of all types, and Gauss Rifles that are arm-mounted in an omnimech require that the hand and lower arm actuators be removed from that arm.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 26 October 2023, 17:02:41 »
IIRC they still have access to it.   
Oh they do, its more, we just don't see them use it. 
Arrow is already rare but at least we see options to use that.
I think the only Tube we see is the rare SLDF Thor/Marksman on the garrison Vehicle RATs.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #34 on: 15 November 2023, 13:19:49 »
Was thinking about this thread.  I don't know what the fate will be of the 1st Generation Omni's with all the mechs that have received new stats these days.  They certainly are still in production around the Inner Sphere, and probably represent in numbers the largest portion of OmniMechs in use by the Great Houses.

If, and that is a huge If, they got released in plastic, I think they would need new stats to make them relevant, just like the classics received.  (Case II on the Sunder, I'm looking at you....) New R versions, or just an RR/R2 designation with a couple modern touches could bring them into the 32nd Century.  I don't know what we'd do with the single heat sink Owens and Strider, but continuing to use a blend of low power energy and Missile Weapons could work on those platforms.  Not exactly sure.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #35 on: 15 November 2023, 13:37:09 »
With all the built in Electronics on the Owens, I don't see the SHS as a "huge" problem, more an oversight.

The limited pod space can pretty easily be filled w/ more Electronics & some low heat weapon options.

The Strider is, IMO, destined for some MML/ATM configurations to give it some variable ranges while still being low heat.

They could release "Block-II" models since Luthien was wiped out anyway, stuff put into production in the Republic era to fix things like the DHS & all the Fixed CASE & JJs

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #36 on: 15 November 2023, 13:49:41 »
With all the built in Electronics on the Owens, I don't see the SHS as a "huge" problem, more an oversight.

The limited pod space can pretty easily be filled w/ more Electronics & some low heat weapon options.

The Strider is, IMO, destined for some MML/ATM configurations to give it some variable ranges while still being low heat.

They could release "Block-II" models since Luthien was wiped out anyway, stuff put into production in the Republic era to fix things like the DHS & all the Fixed CASE & JJs

I get confused on the CASE/CASE II rules.  They can't be pod mounted?  Even Clan CASE II?  If they have to be fixed equipment, I can see that being sticky.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 15 November 2023, 15:20:52 »
CASE & CASE-II are both able to be added/removed as part of Pods.

That rule wasn't clarified when TRO3058/60 were introduced so you see Fixed CASE on some of the early omnis & the Hauptman as well off the top of my head.

Later IS Omnis tend to not have fixed CASE since it had been clarified that they can pod it as needed.

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #38 on: 15 November 2023, 20:46:26 »

TT

You are counting the NAMED Ones with the list. If you placed yourself in the shoes of a Technician (Dragoon or Warden-isk Wolf in 3049) You are only counting the 4 known in 1991 as approved versions to configure your assets. The stats on the named ones (like Widowmaker, Kurita, Victor) would eventually become known as word eventually spreads via the many means but other than that caveat, the Direwolf has 4 common and several more uncommon/rare Individual configurations.
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 16 November 2023, 09:39:31 »
Now I'm curious....

TRO:  Prime, A, B

RetCon Adds:  S, W

Uniques:  Natasha, Victor, Hohiro.

I count 8 just going by memory, but I know there are supposed to be 2 more for Natasha/Phelan trials but not sure if there are stats/RS for those or not.

I'm sure there is something I'm missing.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #40 on: 17 November 2023, 14:59:48 »
Now I'm curious....

TRO:  Prime, A, B

RetCon Adds:  S, W

Uniques:  Natasha, Victor, Hohiro.

I count 8 just going by memory, but I know there are supposed to be 2 more for Natasha/Phelan trials but not sure if there are stats/RS for those or not.

I'm sure there is something I'm missing.

There's two Natasha...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #41 on: 17 November 2023, 15:15:57 »
Sarna lists 12, not counting named customs: Prime, A, B, C, D, E, H, S, T, U, W, and X.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #42 on: 17 November 2023, 15:35:08 »
Heavy laser, ATMs don't count until Dark Ages/Jihad.

Talking late 40s to mud 50s.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #43 on: 17 November 2023, 16:12:06 »
Missed that.  Carry on.
Sunrise is Coming.

Register