Author Topic: what if Simulation: Non-superheavy Tripods appear within Solaris VII's arenas.  (Read 889 times)

Izzy193

• Warrant Officer
This what-if was inspired by the mention of the hedgehog on both Sarna and in Interstellar Operations. With Regular Two-person Tripod mechs dating back to the early days of the star league era. I though of something, What if someone or a group rediscovered the tech during the 3030s to 3040s and used off the  shelf components(barring the specially made Tripod Cockpit) and pitted it up against mechs in Solaris matches?

How would the houses look at such a mech?

Would other house stables, if the mech was at least somewhat successful in the arenas try to copy it?

Would such mechs still be seen as curios during this era?

What kind of spectacle can Tripods Bring that no other type of mech can?

AlphaMirage

• Major
I think it would be mostly spectacle. Tripods don't offer that much of an advantage over bipods in one on one at close range particularly against the average Gladiator. It would make for a good show in a large arena team match. As for the houses they probably won't care.

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
Would those bloody things even fit in some of the Arenas? Imagine trying to use an Ares or Poseidon in the Ishiyama arena. Maybe the Steiner or Davion arena which offer a rather wide space.

AlphaMirage

• Major
The what if did specify non super heavies, so Triskelion not Orca. Super heavies would be terrible at such short range but you could do one in the wilderness areas and broadcast it.

Izzy193

• Warrant Officer
I was also thinking things like the Hedgehog as well, as that is confirmed but no info is yet released about it. But Alpha Mirage is on the right track.

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
Ok I misread the thread title. The biggest advantage would be the two man crew but on the other hand this Mech has less space for weapons / armor. Then again don't forget we also have quads in the arena like the Giant turtle: a waddling hardened armor carrier with some lasers

AlphaMirage

• Major
Ok I misread the thread title. The biggest advantage would be the two man crew but on the other hand this Mech has less space for weapons / armor. Then again don't forget we also have quads in the arena like the Giant turtle: a waddling hardened armor carrier with some lasers

The thing is a two man crew is not that big of an edge against highly trained Arena gladiators at close range particularly when you have to invest mass into an additional leg's structure and armor plus a heavier cockpit. I could see them being better at using something like a flail. mace, or chain whip. Its ability to 360 torso twist and sidestep might give it some advantage but those are pretty niche and dependent on Arena (something confined like The Factory and Ishiyama) selection. Ranges close pretty quick in the arena limiting a Tripod's biggest advantage which is its peculiar locomotion in built up terrain.

The Great Turtle is really more of a spectacle piece too. Its not particularly powerful on the attack but can take stupid amounts of damage. I'd expect those fights would be something like a Lance of Mediums trying to bring it down.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
Tripods do have the advantage of not worrying about facing. So they would be useful in keeping themselves from being backstabbing. But more importantly the Successor States would use the Games to see what works and what doesn't as well as to see where they should put there development into.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

AlphaMirage

• Major
Tripods do have the advantage of not worrying about facing. So they would be useful in keeping themselves from being backstabbing.

That does presume you are fighting only one person and that they'd prefer to shoot you in the back despite it not being as exciting to watch if you do that.

As a battlefield advantage though this is a major plus in urban combat which I think is where Tripods would excel.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
I'd love to see that...

But can you imagine a Tri stepping on a moveable wall or spike?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

RifleMech

• Major
The tech for Tripods was never lost. Just rarely used to there could be Tripods i the Solaris games already. I do think that the dual cockpit set up would put them in a different class/division than most standard mechs.

Unless the Tripods did really well, the Houses would see them as a curiosity. Maybe as a defensive mech or to make better use of warriors who are deficient in one area or another.

Copying would depend entirely on how successful the Tripod would be but I think the dual cockpit would work against it in most cases.

As Tripods are so rare, they would be a big curiosity.

Beyond the dual cockpit and not worrying about facing, they'd be good in confined areas but I think most of the attention they'd get is because they're so rare and odd.