Author Topic: Helm cache continuity errors based on anachronistic equipment  (Read 1754 times)

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Browsing through "The Price of Glory," I came across the section where Grayson finds the Nagayan Mountain 'Mech cache.  He notes that, alongside Star League 'Mechs, there are also dozens of tanks, including Vedettes and Demolishers. 

Since more recent materials indicate Vedettes debuted in 2943 and Demolishers in 2823, does that indicate that some unknown caretaker(s) added to the stockpile during the Succession Wars, or should we just mentally replace those references with, say, "Demons" and "Rhinos," or other equipment from the 2780s?

(I personally lean towards the former, given the extra layer of story potential it adds)
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
Give "The Price of Glory" (1987) was published prior to TR:2750 (1989), the mistake is understandable. The cache should have Star League-era vehicles.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Thanks, Cray.

I certainly understand why the anachronism happened.  I just wanted to see if there was anything more to it.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.