Author Topic: I just got a Paasche  (Read 2419 times)

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
I just got a Paasche
« on: 08 January 2019, 20:58:19 »
I now have a Talon. I'm pretty skeered to try it out of fear of breaking something early (also it's 5F outside and I have to thaw the windows with boiling water to get them open for the spray booth and vent. A bit tricky. I'll disassemble the brush and make sure the trigger action works right.

Overall feeling RN:  :o :o :o

edit: I shall be practicing on plastic spoons for a bit.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Nomad

• CamoSpecs
  • Sergeant
Re: I just got a Paasche
« Reply #1 on: 09 January 2019, 04:48:26 »
Congratulations! Once you buy an airbrush you’ll never again want to paint without one. Don’t worry so much about nicking the needle - it’s something we all end up doing at some point. I recommend you buy at least a couple replacement needles and possibly a nozzle or two off the bat to have for when that inevitable accident does happen. If you’re using acrylic paints I think you can probably get away without the spray booth, but do wear a respirator. For oils and laquers the booth is a definite necessity. Have fun and don’t be intimidated!

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 09 January 2019, 09:35:45 »
Congratulations! Once you buy an airbrush you’ll never again want to paint without one. Don’t worry so much about nicking the needle - it’s something we all end up doing at some point. I recommend you buy at least a couple replacement needles and possibly a nozzle or two off the bat to have for when that inevitable accident does happen. If you’re using acrylic paints I think you can probably get away without the spray booth, but do wear a respirator. For oils and laquers the booth is a definite necessity. Have fun and don’t be intimidated!

Mostly the button action wasn't working. Both the compressor and the brush come with near zippo instructions for "how to do eeet". Turns out the vacuum tray is narrow so the end cap was screwed in all the way, locking the button in place. I had to watch a few YouTube videos before I figured out you had to *pull* the knob on the regulator to get the pressure setting you want and get air flowing through the hose. Nice and quiet though, especially on carpet. My fridge is noisier.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 11 January 2019, 00:37:37 »
So I got a bottle of Vallejo thinner delivered and tried practicing on spoons some more tonight. I got a really nice royal blue layer down on one. I was going for a bright yellow color on another, but the flow started getting intermittent and spitting. I think I thinned it out ok, but I probably just didn't mix enough. I'll try again tomorrow.

I *might* be getting the hang of this.

I'm going to find some insulation and tape to set up the spray booth ventilation. Since I use the room as an office as well, I don't want to rely on just a respirator and booth fan.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 11 January 2019, 00:38:05 »
Once I get the flow (ha) down, man this will save so much time getting base layers done.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 13 January 2019, 15:25:54 »
Practicing. I'm using thinned Vallejo game colors with its own airbrush thinner.

https://imgur.com/a/NKQndui

Images are pretty big.

There's some spatter marking under both yellow spoons. I think that's from spraying on the side and pushing pools of paint across the top surface. I also got some blocking and clumping that I could clear out but is a concern. After disassembling it seems that maybe I have to pull the needle every time between painting and not just rely on spraying out cleaning solution through the brush?

Yellow on gray primer was absolutely going to be a challenge. I mostly wanted to see what an edge case would be like, how difficult, how many layers, etc. The coverage was ok, but I'm thinking that this many yellow layers will get somewhat thick. It was definitely more messy with a grainy flat texture while the blue went on fine in one coat with a good matte finish. Hard for me to say how to handle yellow when it comes time to paint minis and plastic parts for real. I do need to protect the detail or the point of airbrushing (besides speed) is lost.

Nomad

• CamoSpecs
  • Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 13 January 2019, 17:25:36 »
You might get better coverage with Vallejo Model colors. They tend to be a bit thicker and provide better coverage - especially with colors like yellow and red. Most of the time I only need about a 10:1 ratio of paint to thinner when I’m using the model colors. There’s also Vallejo’s Air color series - I have quite a few of these paints as well - always perfectly mixed to go into the airbrush with a minimum of fuss. (They’re also perfect for washes/glazes too because of their consistency.)

I thought at first I’d have to take my airbrush apart as well to clean it out, but have found ways to manage over time. Clumping might be caused by old paint or some kind of reaction between the Game color paints and the thinner. I know that Vallejo paints are generally formulated a bit differently than other acrylics, which means you have to use different thinners, but I’m not sure if there are major variations between the different lines. There are some good online instructionals about cleaning out your airbrush when it clogs during painting. One tip is to cover the end of the airbrush and blow air back through the gravity feed to push particles out. It’s a long learning process - I’m still learning new tricks about using mine as well.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 13 January 2019, 19:14:11 »
Thanks for the tips. I may try some Vallejo Air colors. At the very least they will give me an idea of what "skim milk" actually means. The thinner shouldn't be trouble as it's Vallejo's own formulation, but who knows.

Corky

• Private
« Reply #8 on: 15 January 2019, 10:05:38 »
I'm gonna post this in parts as I am at the office.
Reinsert the needle gently you dont want to be hammering it back home and damaging and smashing the nozzle.

Speaking of the nozzle , cleaning nozzles is a pain and they are easy to damage and scratch on the inside which will lead to even more problems.
Use a wide a wide mouth jar like tamina paint jar with a dedicated airbrush cleaning solution.
When you are done using your airbrush and you cleaned it up use tweezers to gently lower the nozzle into the cleaning solution and let it say there for a couple of days, more paint will come out  after a good soak that is hard to see with the naked eye.

Nozzle is easy to deform so like I said have a pair of tweezers and dont just drop it but lower it gently.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 15 January 2019, 14:52:47 »
I think I've got a good feel for the parts and how they respond to cleanings. The only things I'm worried about yet are the gaskets and seals over time (will cleanings and cleaning solution harden and crack them?). Especially where I can't disassemble the brush. I think it's ok though; I'm learning how little I can do to get paint clear. I do use one of those glass jar/stands and spray cleaner through pretty well till I get air.

Safety question though: I have a mask and a portable booth with fan vented to the outside (picture later?). Do I still need a full-on respirator or is the mask enough with the other equipment?

Nomad

• CamoSpecs
  • Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 16 January 2019, 05:06:37 »
I think you’d probably be okay with a mask, especially with the booth and fan running. But I would apply this rule only to acrylics. As I said, oils and lacquers are a different ball game (I only do lacquers outside!).

Corky

• Private
« Reply #11 on: 16 January 2019, 12:22:36 »
I think I've got a good feel for the parts and how they respond to cleanings. The only things I'm worried about yet are the gaskets and seals over time (will cleanings and cleaning solution harden and crack them?). Especially where I can't disassemble the brush. I think it's ok though; I'm learning how little I can do to get paint clear. I do use one of those glass jar/stands and spray cleaner through pretty well till I get air.

Safety question though: I have a mask and a portable booth with fan vented to the outside (picture later?). Do I still need a full-on respirator or is the mask enough with the other equipment?

The only thing I would worry about is multiple uses of acetone and laquer thinner which you will probably never use any way.  Talon has PTFE needle seal which will last forever and the orings that are there are either not exposed to cleaner or are easy to replace and cost maybe 50 cents, but again you don't have to worry about it for a looong time. The regular air bursh cleaning solutions made for acrylics wont hurt a thing, you will wear out the ring by assembling and disassembling long before.

I would strongly suggest a respirator that seals the mouth and the nose instead of a cheap paper mask.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 16 January 2019, 13:28:22 »
It's a decent dust mask, but yeah. I'll grab a respirator. Any recommendations re: cheapness of replacement cartridges?

Corky

• Private
« Reply #13 on: 16 January 2019, 14:53:15 »
Anything 3M branded really. go on Amazon and look up painters respirator.
Also cleaning tip, have a wide mouth cup fill it with water. After spraying out most of the paint and wiping it out you can carefully submerge the front of the airbrush so part of the paint cup is in the water and run it gently. It basically creates a cleaning jacuzzi and gets it nice and clean.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 16 January 2019, 23:05:09 »
https://i.imgur.com/dTuvAUC.jpg

I'm getting better at it. The blue was a first off attempt. Dingy yellow tests were earlier. Tonight was red primer and white primer with yellow color. I finally poured some actual skim milk and holy cow that's a lot thinner than I thought. Seems to work ok at about 19psi and a cautious application though.
« Last Edit: 16 January 2019, 23:41:40 by Bedwyr »

Corky

• Private
« Reply #15 on: 16 January 2019, 23:37:58 »
Looks good. This may sound counter intutuitive but I would find a tutorial on airbrush problems, low pressure high pressure paint to thin paint too heavy  too far away too close and try to replicate those issues. Once you will be able to spot the problem fast you can rectify it.

In case I didnt mention, wipe a little bit of something like Iwata lube on the last 1/3rd of the needle and before you spray your paints add a couple of drops of vallejo flow improver into the empty paint cup and blow it out.
The lube and the flow improver should coat the needle and the tip and make it harder for acrylics to stay and dry on there.

You will get tip dry any way it is expected, i keep a qtip soaked with airbrush cleaner on stand by and spray without a nozzle/guard/crown or whatever its called. When the brush starts spitting and sputtering you can physically see the paint stuck/dried on the tip. GENTLY wipe around the needle/tip with the qtip soaked with airbrush cleaning solution to pull the "gunk off".

Start spraying off the model and finish spraying off the model.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 16 January 2019, 23:44:27 »
One thing I found that helps is to spray a bit on the glove. It works like a batter taking practice settings before stepping into the batters box.