Author Topic: Graphics card question  (Read 4602 times)

Sigma

• Captain
  • N-scale Fanatic
Graphics card question
« on: 26 January 2011, 16:50:55 »
I have an old XPS Gen 5 Dell

3.2 Ghz Dual-Core P4
4 Gig RAM
XP 64-bit OS

With an R480 XT Platinum Graphics card on a PCI Express slot.

I can get Crisis to run on low settings but I'm really looking to buy a nice new video card and be able to really enjoy MW:LL. Any possibility of upgrading sufficiently or am I looking at building a new rig?

Sid

• Lieutenant
Re: Graphics card question
« Reply #1 on: 26 January 2011, 17:17:13 »
I have an old XPS Gen 5 Dell

3.2 Ghz Dual-Core P4
4 Gig RAM
XP 64-bit OS

With an R480 XT Platinum Graphics card on a PCI Express slot.

I can get Crisis to run on low settings but I'm really looking to buy a nice new video card and be able to really enjoy MW:LL. Any possibility of upgrading sufficiently or am I looking at building a new rig?

PCI Express is still the standard for when it comes to video cards, and should be for the foreseeable future (well, as foreseeable as computer standards can get)

Your RAM, however, might be a bit low.  I believe the minimum requirements for MW:LL is 4GB, and heard it can use even more because the maps are so large.

That being said, I had a Pentium D (Which I believe is what you have if you're running a 64-bit OS) and an old Nvidia 8800GT which could play Crysis on high. 

If all you're looking to do is play MW:LL, a new midrange video card (~$150-$200 video card) should be more than adequate.  If you're looking to play newer games that will be coming out too (such as Crysis 2) you'll probably want to swap out the Motherboard (and CPU) at some point so you can put more RAM in.
Formerly known as 'Phad'

Sigma

• Captain
  • N-scale Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: 26 January 2011, 17:54:46 »
Sorry the CPU is a Pentium 4 HT with a virtual second core, so actually a little older than the D unfortunately.

I can upgrade my RAM up to 8 Gigs. I just haven't as the previous owner already filled all 4 slots on the board with 1 Gig sticks. The compatible RAM for the board is PC2-4200/5300 DDR2 SDRAM DIMMs. Supports Dual Channel DDR.

So if I upgraded to 8 Gigs and a new video card, how would that set me for the next couple of years?

Goose

• Lieutenant
  • … the Laws on his tail, burning for home …
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
« Reply #3 on: 26 January 2011, 21:59:26 »
No: P4s are just a hair more powerful then Intel Atoms . . . The single core Atoms . . .

Save up and build a whole new rig . . .
Goose
The Ancient Egyptian God of Fractional AccountingAnimare Tai-sa Shikishima
I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.

Mechawyvern

• Corporal
« Reply #4 on: 26 January 2011, 22:50:57 »
No: P4s are just a hair more powerful then Intel Atoms . . . The single core Atoms . . .

Save up and build a whole new rig . . .

This.
Your CPU will seriously bottlekneck any newer graphics card.  Time to build a rig!

deathshadow

• Lieutenant
  • Special Tasks Group
    • Cut Code Down - Minimalist Semantic Markup
« Reply #5 on: 27 January 2011, 01:34:53 »
Actually, he's at one of the 3.2's, and if it's true dual core it won't bottleneck THAT badly. An Atom 330 (dual core with HT) at 1.6 is about equal to a 2.4ghz Pentium D. (single core with HT). I would be shocked to see Crysis use more than 70% cpu on both cores with something like a GTX 460.

My concern would be is the power supply up to a modern processor -- is that machine even ATX12V? With that 3rd generation Radeon that really doesnt' sound like it would be - that's probably plain-jane ATX and it sure as shine-ola ain't gonna have no 6 pin or 8 pin power plugs. Even a three year old card like the Ge8800 would probably pop that sucker like a blister in a sandstorm.

Given your RAM, likely power supply and overall age -- save up for a new build. Get about a grand together, you'd be surprised at just how much machine you can put together... You don't need to blow the bank on it.

I5 2500 -- $205 -- More processor than you'd need for any current game or anything of the next four years...

Asrock 1155 mainboard - $88 -- great little board for bargain builds. So long as you're not planning on filling it up with cards, it's overkill for 99% of normal users.

8 gigs (2x4gb) G'Skill RAM -- $77 - cheap, reliable. You don't need anything more unless you want to screw with burning out the computer prematurely.

Antec Earthwatts 750 - $80 - a 750 Antec is a 1000 from anyone else. Should handle any single video card you'd plug in and many SLI rigs on lower cards. (I wouldn't try to SLI Fermi on it)

MSI Twin Frozr GTX 460 - $150 -- What I consider an entry level gaming card these days, it''s more powerful than the GTX 285 of the previous generation and offers some DX11 features (NOT that ANY card delivers DX11 at this point as anything more than a slideshow!) -- this will run Crysis just fine at most any "normal" resolution (aka 1680x1050 or less) on high to very-high settings, and can be made completely playable at a mix of certain med/high/vh settings at 1920x1200 -- on any game where the engine isn't trying too hard (Batman:AA, Borderlands) there is ZERO reason to need anything more unless you've got a raging chodo to run it at 2048x1536 or higher.

Toss on a decent case for $50 and a $120 or so for a new hard drive in a decent capacity, and it's not even broken the $800 mark with shipping on it. Use your current display, key, mulse and optical... or toss an optical on there as a CD drive shouldn't cost more than $30.
Death will take those who fight alone.
But united we can break a fate once set in stone.

CUTCODEDOWN.COM

Goose

• Lieutenant
  • … the Laws on his tail, burning for home …
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
« Reply #6 on: 27 January 2011, 01:52:15 »
Actually, he's at one of the 3.2's, and if it's true dual core it won't bottleneck THAT badly.
I believe he said it's a Northwood/ Socket 478, like I now use for streaming to my TV . . . I think. :-\
Goose
The Ancient Egyptian God of Fractional AccountingAnimare Tai-sa Shikishima
I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.

Sid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 27 January 2011, 11:11:37 »
I believe he said it's a Northwood/ Socket 478, like I now use for streaming to my TV . . . I think. :-\

Just did a quick Google- apparently there are 64-bit Pentium 4s that are single core.  I thought the dual core P4s were simply renamed Pentium D.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/105

Formerly known as 'Phad'