Author Topic: Loki (series)  (Read 16774 times)

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Loki (series)
« Reply #60 on: 10 July 2021, 06:07:35 »
 :thumbsup:

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #61 on: 13 July 2021, 09:25:31 »
I hope they find out that the person behind the TVA is...a Loki.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #62 on: 13 July 2021, 10:17:13 »
I'd be shocked if it wasn't.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #63 on: 13 July 2021, 11:08:06 »
And speaking of Loki Variants, he's a Doctor Who Variant as well, having been in Curse of Fatal Death.   ^-^

I know we were supposed to be enjoying all the Easter eggs in the debris of the end of time, but I couldn’t get over how great it was that they cast Richard Grant as Classic Loki.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #64 on: 13 July 2021, 11:17:24 »
I know we were supposed to be enjoying all the Easter eggs in the debris of the end of time, but I couldn’t get over how great it was that they cast Richard Grant as Classic Loki.

Ok, was that a tiny Thor in the jar?

Heck, I was still enjoying that Loki was DB Cooper . . . and the whole thing was done as part of a bet with Thor & Heimdall.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #65 on: 13 July 2021, 11:26:32 »
Throg, voiced by Hemsworth no less.

Ok, was that a tiny Thor in the jar?

Heck, I was still enjoying that Loki was DB Cooper . . . and the whole thing was done as part of a bet with Thor & Heimdall.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #66 on: 13 July 2021, 16:22:27 »
I'd like this in a full-sized poster. :)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #67 on: 13 July 2021, 16:49:06 »
Apparently, you can now get that particular Loki on a polo shirt...  ::)

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #68 on: 14 July 2021, 03:25:11 »
As no big surprise, "He Who Remains" is Kang. But a benevolent Kang - set upon stopping the destruction of the timeline by pruning all deviations that might create an evil himself.

Interesting concept and I look forward to seeing Jonathan Majors in the future.

The most interesting bit was the mid-credit scene! Season 2 is confirmed! :D

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #69 on: 14 July 2021, 04:04:29 »
That ending was a trip.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #70 on: 14 July 2021, 05:52:54 »
I'm a bit frustrated, because if the story is going to remain contained in Loki's own show, that was a fantastic and effective cliffhanger. 

But it might just be an advert for the next part of the MCU, who's paper-thin linking of properties and stories that are just ads for later stories which are in turn ads for a movie they haven't even begun to work on but it'll be out in 4 years is really starting to bore me. 

In some ways, that's fitting for the show, where the main characters are all lying, manipulating and shifting based on perception, but it's a bit too meta in others.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #71 on: 14 July 2021, 06:07:44 »

But it might just be an advert for the next part of the MCU, who's paper-thin linking of properties and stories that are just ads for later stories which are in turn ads for a movie they haven't even begun to work on but it'll be out in 4 years is really starting to bore me. 

Too much of this, I think. Three show have been out now and all three have left me wanting ... something.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #72 on: 14 July 2021, 06:45:39 »
Too much of this, I think. Three show have been out now and all three have left me wanting ... something.

Of the three, I liked Loki the most.  Wandavision played it safe with the final episode being mostly a standard superhero smash em up (though the philosophical battle between the two Visions was great), and then stuffed sequel bait in at the end.  Falcon and Winter Soldier tried to be a heady, political work but also toe the Disney line and in the end wound up being watered down and milquetoast - it tried to please everyone and just fell flat. 

Loki was more assured, had a better narrative flow, better character work, its look and feel was weird but not as jarring as WandaVision's TV sitcom pastiche, it's themes were abstract enough that it doesn't trip any alarm bells but are still well-presented and fairly complete by the end of series 1.  As a self-contained work it's pretty good, but it's not a self-contained work, and that's so frustrating

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #73 on: 14 July 2021, 07:04:32 »
There is gonna be a season 2 and 'What If...?' is out next month. We'll see hat an animated series can offer to MCU's future.

Sylvie dis one thing, thoush, and that was be the catalyst for the new Multiverse War :yawn: So, I guess something came out of this that is supposed to move the MCU plotline forward.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #74 on: 14 July 2021, 10:37:33 »
Congrats to Season 2
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #75 on: 14 July 2021, 13:32:01 »
but it's not a self-contained work, and that's so frustrating

I dunno, I don't necessarily think it has to be all that deeply connected to future works. Kang can show up in Ant-Man and other stuff and do his thing without ever needing to reference this series at all. He's just a humble time-traveling conqueror dude. But if someone has also watched this show, then they get an enhanced understanding of where Kang comes from and why. All any future Kang appearance in the movies needs to say is "there are many universes and I'm a bastard in a lot of them and we fight each other." No need to reference the TVA or He Who Remains or any of the stuff that was revealed in this episode.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #76 on: 14 July 2021, 15:41:59 »
Now here's the question for you:

At the end, when Loki's in what appears to be an alternate version of the TVA, is it because:

1. Sylvie kicked him off to one of the new branch timelines that was being formed?  Or...

2. Is the Sacred Timeline essentially a Mobius (hah!) Strip at this point where, after Sylvie killed Kang as Immortus/He Who Remans, who was absolutely right in that he ended right back in that seat at the end of Time in the end, or at least a version of Kang ended up there, starting the cycle over again in an infinite loop that only our 2-3 survivors from the previous loop, our Variant Loki, Ravonna and possibly Sylvie, remember the previous iteration of?
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #77 on: 14 July 2021, 16:56:03 »
I dunno, I don't necessarily think it has to be all that deeply connected to future works. Kang can show up in Ant-Man and other stuff and do his thing without ever needing to reference this series at all. He's just a humble time-traveling conqueror dude. But if someone has also watched this show, then they get an enhanced understanding of where Kang comes from and why. All any future Kang appearance in the movies needs to say is "there are many universes and I'm a bastard in a lot of them and we fight each other." No need to reference the TVA or He Who Remains or any of the stuff that was revealed in this episode.

That's more or less what I'm hoping for - not that Kang will remain part of Loki exclusively, but that the events set in motion here will be pivotal to Loki as a show primarily, and not a setup for the next big Avengers movie (or whatever the endpoint of whatever  Phase we're in now will be)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #78 on: 14 July 2021, 17:05:34 »
I read a theory about Marvel's future plans before the final episode dropped that I have not seen yet.  And it was this-

They are not rushing into another huge single story arc but instead developing the characters they have (now) and the universe while setting up several different story telling paths available for the future.  Basically staging characters so they can jump with most of them in one of a half dozen directions depending on how the characters develop, how the fans attach to the written character/actor.

Considering they have announced they signed Netflix's Daredevil and Jessica Jones I think we could end up with stories grand and small . . . I know I want more of what they were doing with Daredevil/Punisher/Kingpin on Netflix.  It is also interesting Disney+ are doing 6 episode mini-series like Netflix did with Defenders.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #79 on: 14 July 2021, 17:22:01 »
It's almost like they're a comic book company or something...  ::)

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #80 on: 14 July 2021, 17:39:36 »
Unfortunately, Lorcan, Dr. Strange's next movie is "Multiverse of Madness" so I will be genuinely shocked if the events of Loki and Wandavision didn't set that up more like volleyball than theater.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #81 on: 14 July 2021, 18:07:33 »
I loved the last two shows of Loki the series built up and built up, at the end of time my jaw hit the floor when I saw Asgard reformed that was cool, the last episode went out exactly how you'd want it, the trickster still has a ways to go
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #82 on: 14 July 2021, 18:33:31 »
Unfortunately, Lorcan, Dr. Strange's next movie is "Multiverse of Madness" so I will be genuinely shocked if the events of Loki and Wandavision didn't set that up more like volleyball than theater.

Apparently Spider-Man 3 will be doing something with the multiverse concept as well, and that's ok, so long as it isn't drawing away from the drama in Loki.  I guess time will tell.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #83 on: 14 July 2021, 19:04:03 »
Apparently Spider-Man 3 will be doing something with the multiverse concept as well, and that's ok, so long as it isn't drawing away from the drama in Loki.  I guess time will tell.

Spoilering the block just in case.

I mean, Kang, same actor, is already billed for the next Ant Man/Wasp movie, so I think we're committed to him making multiple appearances. I'm thinking these things are basically established:
- Good and bad versions of Kang showing up
- The idea of versions of people as variants
- Nexus events
- Some kind of multiverse mesh between magic, timelines, and the quantum realm. Basically a new MCU playground that's bigger than infinity stones.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #84 on: 14 July 2021, 19:15:04 »
Considering how the previous films really didn't do much to interconnect beyond the end credit scenes until later in the game, I'm really hoping they follow the same kind of pattern here. And with the character of Kang having had so many different identities throughout the years, they could easily have multiple different villains who later turn out to be variants of the same dude. Kang in the next Ant-Man flick, Immortus in another movie, Scarlet Centurion in something else, etc. It's interesting they have been foreshadowing Young Avengers so hard given that a version of Kang (Iron Lad) brought that team together in the comics. Then as they get deeper into the next cycle, they can start to bring them together and show how they are all variants. (And then get the Council of Cross-Time Kangs? Yes, please.)

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #85 on: 16 July 2021, 04:21:11 »
An interesting finish. Probably did the best of the three TV shows so far, as far as endings go. And that’s mostly because they didn’t have to do a lot of moving around. The other twos final episodes the pacing felt rushed.

Wish we got to see more Owen Wilson (and hear a wow...)
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #86 on: 16 July 2021, 11:37:33 »
Wish we got to see more Owen Wilson (and hear a wow...)
:thumbsup:
I was confused with no wow from him 
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #87 on: 16 July 2021, 16:05:38 »
I was hoping he turned out to be Hansel.

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #88 on: 16 July 2021, 18:38:25 »
Just finished it and loved it.

First of all, if he was that good as Immortus, Jonathan Majors is going to be a perfect Kang and I can’t wait until he shows up on the big screen.

Second, I’m really looking forward to season 2 and finding out where, exactly, Sylvie dumped Loki and whether or not the TVA is still the de facto prime timeline or if everything is just proper ****** now.

I do worry what it all means for the MCU as a whole, though. We know the multiverse is going to be a thing, which is always messy. We also know that we’re getting a ton of new introductions since we’re in a post-Avengers world. That’s a lot of spinning plates. I’m confident that it will all work out, but I’m not sure how we’ll get there.
« Last Edit: 16 July 2021, 18:54:39 by ActionButler »
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Garrand

• Warrant Officer
  • "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"
« Reply #89 on: 16 July 2021, 20:47:06 »
I'm wondering if this will be used as a way to back door the X-men into the universe: Dr Stange pulls his shennanigans & merges the divergent timelines together (somehow), & the X-men universe gets merged with the "prime" universe, & Marvel can tell new stories using them (as well as ancilliary characters, like Deadpool). Arrowverse did the same thing, so it seems like it could happen.

Damon.
Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com
Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com