Author Topic: NHL 2023-2024 Vegas Edition: Mojave, Mo' Problems  (Read 12715 times)

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
NHL 2023-2024 Vegas Edition: Mojave, Mo' Problems
« on: 30 June 2023, 17:51:32 »
New league year, new thread. Congrats one last time to the Vegas Golden Knights for buying a perfectly good Stanley Cup championship. Now, let's start free agency!
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Charlie 6

• Captain
Re: NHL 2023-2024 Vegas Edition: Mojave, Mo' Problems
« Reply #1 on: 30 June 2023, 18:34:06 »
Last thread, "I just hope the Caps don't become as unwatchable as the Nats are currently."

This thread...Oh well.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #2 on: 01 July 2023, 00:47:23 »
Positive spin:  If the Nats can convert just a handful of those men on base into RBIs they will finish higher the standings than the Mets.  Con:  They draft in a worse position than the Mets.  Conclusion: The Mets should reach out to Vega's management on the correct way to buy a championship.

Vegas wrapped up Adin Hill for a steal.  Even if he turns up a dud next year it won't be an anchor on their cap.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #3 on: 01 July 2023, 08:50:08 »
I know there's age differences (6 years) and differences in contract length, but which would you want Adin Hill at a cap hit of 4.9 or Darcy Kuemper at a hit of 5.25?
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #4 on: 01 July 2023, 10:37:20 »
Columbus officially made Mike Babcock their new head coach (ninth in team history, which seems like a lot). With his proven track record of not being worth a damn at developing young players and alienating veterans, he'll be a fantastic choice for a team hip-deep in a long rebuild, I'm sure.

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #5 on: 01 July 2023, 11:15:40 »
Kind of surprised nobody commented on the draft.

The Habs made a splash a at the draft again, but in completely the wrong way.  Their first-round pick at this year's draft will be remembered not so much for the pick itself, but for the way in which it was announced:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDmT9uOc88E

Just looks like a really bad omen.

In any event, they obviously felt there were too many uncertainties surrounding Matvei Michkov and decided to let another team--in this case the Flyers--take the risk.

If it's your pick, and all the top forwards have already been taken, what do you go with?  Somebody who projects to be at best a second-line winger or a top-line playmaker (but not a scorer), or somebody who you really think will be a mobile stud defenceman of the kind Vegas used so well in the playoffs?

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 01 July 2023, 15:46:29 »
I know there's age differences (6 years) and differences in contract length, but which would you want Adin Hill at a cap hit of 4.9 or Darcy Kuemper at a hit of 5.25?
Honestly neither.  But if I have to make a choice it would be Hill.  Retaining one of Samsonov or Vanecek would have been my ideal rather than letting them both go before the start of last season.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 02 July 2023, 23:13:02 »
So a Maine guy Dumoulin signs with Seattle Kraken, leaving Pittsburgh.
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #8 on: 03 July 2023, 13:08:42 »
New league year, new thread. Congrats one last time to the Vegas Golden Knights for buying a perfectly good Stanley Cup championship. Now, let's start free agency!

Nobody will ever buy a Cup with as much disdain for everyone else in this league as that team that won it in 2002.   :D
« Last Edit: 03 July 2023, 13:10:48 by rebs »
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 03 July 2023, 19:44:46 »
The Pittsburgh Penguins would like to formally introduce their new member on defense Mr. William Butcher.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #10 on: 03 July 2023, 21:55:52 »
Talk about a painful free agency last hope here Bergeron and Krecji come back for one more ride

Leafs look like they've got a decent start to a team even with their overpaid stars
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 04 July 2023, 16:55:48 »
Signing Ryan Reeves was an awful idea and I'm mixed emotions on the Kampf deal as well.  I get it that they want to keep him for a few years as there likely to lose someone much for valuable in the next year to UFA, but I think the are overpaying him.  My early prognostication unless they can get of Murray (because otherwise they will be clearing cap space elsewhere) is this team is good enough to loose in 6 games rather than 7 next year.

I like most of Boston's moves to this point.  They still need to work a couple things out, but I don't think it's a given who finishes first in that division next year.

Pittsburgh has (unfortunately for me) had a pretty good off season with the UFAs they brought in.  I don't think signing Jarry to term was a great idea, but I guess the alternatives wouldn't have been much better this year.

Not much to say about my Caps.  They pretty much hindered in making any big signing until they can figure out what the future holds for Backstrom.  Signing Pacioretty to a low risk contracts was awesome.  I expect if he plays though he will be flipped elsewhere by the end of the season.  Fingers crossed that some of the Calder Cup champs can make the team and contribute next season.

StoryReader

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 04 July 2023, 18:01:12 »
Some interesting trades / signings in the past week.

The Reeves signing is definitely for too much.  Don't know what they thought they were addressing there.  I have no idea of they had hoped to keep O'Reilly, but signing for 4 years in Nashville shows he was certainly ready to settle in where he saw a fit.  Schenn is a loss for them too.

Chicago will have a different look next year ... maybe even be watchable?

I pay a fair amount of attention to the Jets and I like their restraint so far ... they got quite a haul from LA in return for Pierre-Luc Dubois, and then the Wheeler buy-out was done very smoothly, with all accounts seeming to say everything was worked out with mutual respect and communication between the parties.  Good moves for Winnipeg.  If PLD still has another level that could be amazing for the Kings, and the Rangers made a really low-risk move to bring Wheeler on.  Pleasant hockiness all around.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 05 July 2023, 19:21:10 »
Some interesting trades / signings in the past week.

The Reeves signing is definitely for too much.  Don't know what they thought they were addressing there.  I have no idea of they had hoped to keep O'Reilly, but signing for 4 years in Nashville shows he was certainly ready to settle in where he saw a fit.  Schenn is a loss for them too.

I'm not certain why Nashville signed RO'R for 4 years with them being at the start of a rebuild.  The contract isn't horrible on amount or term it just seems out of place.

My assumption is some sort of long term outlook that with a lack of a NMC it would be easier to flip him at a later date for assets.  Same with their signing of Luke Schenn.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #14 on: 06 July 2023, 07:29:40 »
Nashville signing ROR for 4 years gives them a veteran center, possibly a 1C, and the term may have been what they needed to sign him after they couldn't work out a deal for Kuznetsov.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #15 on: 06 July 2023, 12:21:38 »
I have the impression that the Preds think this isn't a rebuild so much as a retooling, staying competitive while bringing in new blood. I'm... not all that confident that they're in that situation right now, personally- I'm looking around the West and trying to find a way that they compete for a playoff spot next year, let alone win a series- but if that's where management is at, moves like this make some sense.

Again, I don't think they do, but I'm not Barry Trotz.

+Crow T. Robot+

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #16 on: 10 July 2023, 15:19:34 »
I'm not as big a fan of DeBrincat as everyone around me in Michigan is.  But I hope I'm wrong and he maintains that scoring touch that he's got. 

Talk about a painful free agency last hope here Bergeron and Krecji come back for one more ride

Leafs look like they've got a decent start to a team even with their overpaid stars

Bertuzzi unceremoniously going to Toronto was a surprise, even though I had read several times that the B's would not be signing him.  Bluster happens in negotiations, and I thought that was the case.  I figured Boston would think about all they gave up to acquire him and make something work. 

Nope.

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 10 July 2023, 15:26:07 »
Major trade of the weekend and probably the biggest one we are going to see for the off season has the Red Wings trading for Alex DeBrincat.  In exchange the sent a 1st round pick, a 4th round pick, Dominik Kubalik, and Donovan Sebrango.  The two picks have some conditions to them for next year's draft.

This trade probably ends up being a win/win trade and with the scuttlebutt being that DeBrincat seemed only to be interested in going to Detroit it is a decent haul.  I don't think the trade appreciably increases the chances that either team finishes 8th in the conference this season however it bodes well for both teams farther down the road.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 10 July 2023, 15:37:36 »
I'm not as big a fan of DeBrincat as everyone around me in Michigan is.  But I hope I'm wrong and he maintains that scoring touch that he's got.
My expectation for him is around 30 goals a season.  I do believe though most other people are going to think that is a failure if it pans out that way.  65-68 points.  I'd also expect him to be on ice for quite a few goals against too.

Bertuzzi unceremoniously going to Toronto was a surprise, even though I had read several times that the B's would not be signing him.  Bluster happens in negotiations, and I thought that was the case.  I figured Boston would think about all they gave up to acquire him and make something work. 
Relative to the rest of the Bruins roster the $5.5 million he received would be out of wack compared to what ownership pays the rest of rank and file.  I think Toronto probably overpaid him, but that environment should allow him to meet or exceed his prior career numbers.  That should set up him up for a better long term deal next year even if it ends up inflated in the scope of next year's market.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #19 on: 10 July 2023, 16:10:33 »
Even considering possible LTIR candidates Toronto is over the cap, so it will be interesting to see who goes where to make room.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #20 on: 10 July 2023, 23:04:54 »
Even considering possible LTIR candidates Toronto is over the cap, so it will be interesting to see who goes where to make room.

With Nylander asking for $10M, I know where I'd start on trimming things down.

+Crow T. Robot+

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #21 on: 11 July 2023, 11:09:03 »
funny thing is he's just asking what the other 3 got (Matthews, Tavares, Marner). Even if he got 10M he'd still rank 4th behind them in cap hit.

StoryReader

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: 14 July 2023, 10:53:45 »
Sounds like Alex Galchenyuk had quite a night.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #23 on: 14 July 2023, 15:42:24 »
Detroit loading up on 1 year contracts to be prepared to possibly scoop up any high-profile players that slide next season.

(Trying not to look sideways at Toronto)

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #24 on: 14 July 2023, 20:59:27 »

Man... I mean he was on his, what, eighth team in a decade? After being a high first-round pick? Dude has to be up there with Alexander Daigle and Nail Yakupov as colossal draft busts at this point.

If there was even a chance he was going to stay on an NHL roster- Arizona or otherwise- this news ended it. A player who puts up 30 might get another chance after problems like this (Kane comes to mind... actually, pick a Kane, now that I think of it). But a guy with gobs of talent and zero intention to use any of it, bouncing from team to team showing he has no motivation whatsoever, and now has this hanging over him? We've seen the last of him in the NHL- if he avoids jail, he's KHL-bound.

What a shame. You watch him and sometimes there's a flash of that player that got picked in the draft as a can't-miss prospect, and usually he's just skating in figure-eights. Living here in the Washington area, I saw a lot of Alex Semin during his career here, and same idea- sometimes he would do things that would  make your jaw drop in awe, and  you'd know in the back of your mind that he did something amazing, so he's going to take the next couple of weeks off from doing anything resembling effort.

+Crow T. Robot+

StoryReader

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #25 on: 15 July 2023, 00:45:27 »
Man... I mean he was on his, what, eighth team in a decade? After being a high first-round pick? Dude has to be up there with Alexander Daigle and Nail Yakupov as colossal draft busts at this point.

Funny you should mention Yakupov.....they were both drafted 2012 -- Yakupov 1st, and Galchenyuk 3rd.

...and yikes -- 2012 was not a strong draft year:
https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2012e.html

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #26 on: 16 July 2023, 05:19:02 »

I think he had to know the outcome of this - if you want to stay in a given country, you don't say something like that to a law enforcement officer. 

This was career suicide-by-cop.  He wanted to find a way to give up, and boy he did a bang up job finding it.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #27 on: 17 July 2023, 06:46:13 »
Funny you should mention Yakupov.....they were both drafted 2012 -- Yakupov 1st, and Galchenyuk 3rd.

...and yikes -- 2012 was not a strong draft year:
https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2012e.html
Dang, the Washington scouts did their job well. Of the top 20 in points, 3 of them were drafted by Washington. If only the GM hadn't screwed things up.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #28 on: 17 July 2023, 21:08:24 »
Dang, the Washington scouts did their job well. Of the top 20 in points, 3 of them were drafted by Washington. If only the GM hadn't screwed things up.

SHHHHHH. Good lord, man! If my wife heard you mention... that whole incident... she'd go into a frothing rage again and I'd have to sleep on the damned couch!

Suffice to say, she is NOT a Martin Erat fan.  :lipsrsealed:

+Crow T. Robot+

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: 18 July 2023, 18:29:23 »
Suffice to say, she is NOT a Martin Erat fan.  :lipsrsealed:

At some point there will be a Stadium Series game between the Caps and the Preds and I'm 100% going to be there just boo Martin Erat during the alumni game.