Author Topic: What movies/tv are we watching part XXX, Back into the fray!  (Read 18460 times)

elf25s

• Major
Re: What movies/tv are we watching part XXX, Back into the fray!
« Reply #60 on: 01 January 2024, 22:51:06 »
tbh all of those cartoons form 80 did not age gracefully only exception was hannah barbera but i think the style was delibertly done that way. still one of the better aged ones from that time was jayce and wheeled warriors and smurfs along with the littles also dungeons and dragons...tbh there were cartoons from that time from england france and russia that would give the animation that was done at a time run its money in particular a russian one wilk i zajoc aka wolf and rabbit two polish ones bolek i lolek and reksio english ones danger mouse and count duckula
there was french one i cant remember the name of...i think title translated to once upon a time another series was a czech production based on fables and stories about brigand rumcajs
ohhh while i remember there were two polish stop motion animated shorts for kids based on children books one was plastusiowy pamietnik aja plastus diary and the other one which seems to had a following all over europe and some parts of asia particulary in japan mis uszatek aka teddy floppy ear which btw also got ps2 game at some point lol
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #61 on: 01 January 2024, 23:27:07 »
There were a number of 80s cartoons that held up fairly well.  The Real Ghostbusters, at least for the first few seasons before it got retooled into Slimer & The Real Ghostbusters.  Jemm and the Holograms was surprisingly good, especially for a show that was marketed to girls.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Akamia

• Captain
  • No challenge too great!
« Reply #62 on: 01 January 2024, 23:40:43 »
I seem to remember an interview on the Renegade HPG podcast where the guest, who worked on it, talked about something like that almost happening to the BattleTech animated series. I say "almost" because I actually don't remember if it did. I'm planning to rewatch it with my partner after we're finished with Babylon 5.
Let's all go to Cargonia, land of stolen things
Obey the quartermaster unless he is a 'ling
Cargo techs guard the station and find more stuff to take
But the boss is never satisfied until the station breaks...

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #63 on: 01 January 2024, 23:48:31 »
I seem to remember an interview on the Renegade HPG podcast where the guest, who worked on it, talked about something like that almost happening to the BattleTech animated series. I say "almost" because I actually don't remember if it did. I'm planning to rewatch it with my partner after we're finished with Babylon 5.
there was that battletech cartoon mixed with cgi was not very good but it still has following
every now and then i hear tumors of either cgi series like starship troopers or live action

this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrMOLvPJ0Pg i had high hope for as  a concept for a show if you can take out of era mechs and action and bt historical figures iut of time
« Last Edit: 01 January 2024, 23:54:32 by elf25s »
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Akamia

• Captain
« Reply #64 on: 01 January 2024, 23:53:52 »
Yes, that was the series I was referring to; I only ever knew of and watched the one. lol

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #65 on: 01 January 2024, 23:56:07 »
check the edit on my post...at least concept by student project had good pacing even if dialog and mechs along with charater were out of their times

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #66 on: 02 January 2024, 00:41:42 »
Oh yeah. Even worse was the original GI Joe animated series, where all guns were lasers and no one could be killed.

Which was really bad in comparison to the comics that came out at the same time, where you had deaths all the time (at least of the Cobra troops, certain named characters of various factions, and some civilians, but never of any Joes until several dozen issues in when you lost a few dozen over the course of a few issues).

Ruger

Just like the old 80s transformers cartoons where they'd shoot up a storm and barely hit even the broad side of a barn..

It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Akamia

• Captain
« Reply #67 on: 02 January 2024, 04:41:28 »
Until The Movie that still gets quoted in later material to this very day, anyway. I don’t know if the animated series changed very much post-Movie, characters aside, but that movie was a shock to the system at the time, or so I hear; technically it was before my time, though I’ve seen it many, many times nonetheless. A lot of named characters from the series up to that point were killed off, most of them quite unceremoniously – of these, I’d dare to say they were flatly demoted to redshirts, though I suppose Ironhide, despite literally being red, could be argued to have been wearing mauve. lol

I remember the first Autobot to die. Think his name was Prowl. Even a latecomer like myself, with relatively little context for these characters at the time, found Prowl’s death particularly horrifying.
« Last Edit: 02 January 2024, 04:56:58 by Akamia »

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #68 on: 02 January 2024, 07:05:26 »
Not all old characters even got that. Some were killed off-screen during Battle for Autobot City and we only see they dead bodies on the ground.
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

NightSarge

• Lieutenant
  • Clan Coyote fan
« Reply #69 on: 02 January 2024, 07:07:01 »
Cant pay well take it away
"Nemo my name forevermore"
Nightwish - Nemo

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #70 on: 02 January 2024, 09:46:35 »
tbh only good thing hoardmygld did good with their ntchering of macross and turning it into robotech was insisting to keep the death of roy fokker which changed US cartoons for ever from that point...but funny thing is the first death shown on that was not fokker but zentraedi when his battlepod got turned into seive by rick hunter....
after that cartoons slowly got more serious... as seen with death of optimus prime a year or so later...in theaters not on tv but it still happened and kept happening few times later on tv

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #71 on: 02 January 2024, 10:50:24 »
My syndication network decided to leave out the episode of Fokker's death. I was a big fan of the show by that point, and when the next episode came out and showed in the recap that he died, I was like "Wait, what?" I didn't find out what happened until I got the McKinney books the next year.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #72 on: 02 January 2024, 11:55:34 »
My syndication network decided to leave out the episode of Fokker's death. I was a big fan of the show by that point, and when the next episode came out and showed in the recap that he died, I was like "Wait, what?" I didn't find out what happened until I got the McKinney books the next year.
i remeber some letters to editor back 1985/86 a lot of teachers praising that episode and showing kids that its ok to greive and feel sad also  a lot of psychologists doing the same. but the station that broadcasted that one in st louis mo got fined for it which had couple of churches yes churches go against the fine in mo. i dont remember what happened after that since my family moved to the armpit of usa aka nj

Akamia

• Captain
« Reply #73 on: 02 January 2024, 15:01:34 »
Not all old characters even got that. Some were killed off-screen during Battle for Autobot City and we only see they dead bodies on the ground.
I don't remember that, but then, I probably didn't have enough context to recognize it back then. I'll probably notice it on a present-day rewatch, if I ever get around to it. lol

Also, I had an epiphany a few months back about this movie. I think a lot of us recognize that ever since returning to the role in most modern Transformers media, Peter Cullen doesn't portray Optimus Prime very much, if at all, the way he did in the original G1 series. It made some of his lines in Transformers: Devastation come off a bit awkward; I actually wondered if maybe he forgot how he used to do it, because the somewhat awkward lines I heard wouldn't have sounded so weird if it was actually his original portrayal of the character.

But you know what? Based on what I remember of the '86 movie – before, y'know, Optimus dies – I'm pretty sure his modern performance (not necessarily the characterization) of the character is more often than not based on that particular appearance of the character. I definitely don't think it's a coincidence that they keep having him quote that movie nearly every chance they get, especially the part before he and Megatron start fighting to the death. Optimus really didn't sound quite so upbeat in that original movie compared to the animated series that preceded it. And honestly, why should he? But now, that's become a bigger part of his character than it ever was in that show. lol
« Last Edit: 02 January 2024, 15:03:53 by Akamia »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #74 on: 02 January 2024, 16:12:43 »
And for the first time ever, he's not going to be voicing Optimus in a Transformers movie- he's not going to be doing Transformers One.  I can understand recasting him, since he's in his 80s now, but I'm worried over the fact that his chosen replacement is Chris Hemsworth, who's A) barely done any voice acting, and B) primarily does comedic characters.  I don't think he's ever done a character who's as serious as Optimus Prime before (even Optimus in the first couple of seasons of G1 when he would crack jokes and share laughs with the other Autobots).

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Akamia

• Captain
« Reply #75 on: 02 January 2024, 22:47:32 »
It’s not like Optimus doesn’t have his own relatively comedic portrayals. The Unicron Trilogy and Animated iterations of the character were plenty lighthearted most of the time they were onscreen; the latter could be absolutely silly on a good day, though admittedly the entire context of the character was quite different from other iterations.

That being said, I have a suspicion we’re not talking about something that’s going to take that sort of narrative tone.
« Last Edit: 02 January 2024, 22:51:45 by Akamia »

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #76 on: 03 January 2024, 00:15:48 »
Hemsworth is prime's voice>  WOW.  Didn' know that.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #77 on: 03 January 2024, 00:23:56 »
He will be in Transformers One.  Not in any other media so far.

NightSarge

• Lieutenant
  • Clan Coyote fan
« Reply #78 on: 03 January 2024, 07:03:20 »
Fire and flame tv
Nightwish - Nemo

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #79 on: 03 January 2024, 13:48:14 »
"voice cast consisting of Chris Hemsworth as Orion Pax / Optimus Prime, Brian Tyree Henry as Megatron, Scarlett Johansson as Elita-One, Keegan-Michael Key as Bumblebee, Jon Hamm as Sentinel Prime, and Laurence Fishburne as Alpha Trion"

and

"The producer explained that Chris Hemsworth's depiction will grow into the leader depicted in the previous installments, stating that the transition from Hemsworth's voice to Cullen's will make sense within the story."

Makes sense - a young Optimus (pre-Prime) would have a younger voice, growing gruffer and deeper with age and responsibility/experience/etc.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #80 on: 03 January 2024, 15:21:56 »
Keenan michael key and Laurence fishburn.. May have to give this a whirl when it comes up..

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #81 on: 03 January 2024, 21:49:50 »
I think Im going to give For All Mankind a try soon.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #82 on: 04 January 2024, 00:33:12 »
Just got done watching two WW2 based brit films.   First up was a remake of the 1960s bbc tv show, Dad's Army..  LOVED It.  Couldn't stop laughing.
the 2nd was Their Finest (from back in 2016) with Bill Nighy and Gemma Arteron..  Loved this one too..

Sapphirus

• Lieutenant
  • I dunno, here's Cirno shrugging...
« Reply #83 on: 04 January 2024, 01:39:09 »
Saw the first 2 episode of Pokemon Concierge on Netflix, it's relaxing and also pretty good so far

NightSarge

• Lieutenant
  • Clan Coyote fan
« Reply #84 on: 04 January 2024, 07:13:05 »
Bad lads army
Nightwish - Nemo

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #85 on: 04 January 2024, 15:06:34 »
Sing
Sing 2
Paw Patrol (the first one)
Paw Patrol: The mighty something (the last one)
Kung Fu Panda 1
Hanna and the monsters.

Yup. Vacation time.

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #86 on: 04 January 2024, 15:18:42 »
I rewatched another 80's movie a couple times on monday, and tuesday

Trading places with bill murray, and eddie murphy

the things that got done for bets of ... $1 were "interesting"

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #87 on: 04 January 2024, 15:48:10 »

Nitpick - Dan Aykroyd, not Bill Murray :)

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #88 on: 04 January 2024, 16:22:29 »
I rewatched another 80's movie a couple times on monday, and tuesday

the things that got done for bets of ... $1 were "interesting"

Every year, I wish people a Merry New Year and offer them beef jerky. Beef jerky time!

NightSarge

• Lieutenant
  • Clan Coyote fan
« Reply #89 on: 05 January 2024, 07:04:22 »
The tank chats
Nightwish - Nemo