Author Topic: (Sore Thumbs) What Non-BT related Video Game you're playing  (Read 166255 times)

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
Re: (Sore Thumbs) What Non-BT related Video Game you're playing
« Reply #90 on: 29 June 2016, 09:53:24 »
Huh? My family still has MegaDrive, several NES, N64, and then some in good working condition each with number of games to play with. I don't see us ever letting go of them even if we don't use them regularly. Of course number of best games made for those machines are now available to the newest hardware, even to the PC. Therefore there is no great need to unplug PC/Xbox One from monitor/TV to be replaced with one of the old machines. I don't need to plug MegaDrive to play Street Fighter II New Challengers becouse I've got Street Fighter Alpha II on my PCs bought from Good Old Games.

On the other side of the coin there are retro game enthusiasts that would say playing emulations, especially PC emulations of console games is a different experience.  I kind of get it.  Playing Sonic 2 on my old Genesis is way different than playing it even on XBox.  Unfortunately, this is the same reason why i have to buy an overpriced Turbo Graffix 16 in order to scratch the itch of a certain Bonk's Adventure enthusiast.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #91 on: 29 June 2016, 10:05:22 »
On the other side of the coin there are retro game enthusiasts that would say playing emulations, especially PC emulations of console games is a different experience.
i make a guess most of them think about playing on PC = small screen, keyboard & mouse only. We know better, right? Right!?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Reldn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #92 on: 29 June 2016, 10:12:01 »
I'm jealous...I sold my Xbox 360...don;t know if I can play all 3 on the Xbox1

Yeah, looks like only ME1 is backwards compatible for XBox1 for some reason. No love for the PS4 either.

I'm actually doing my playthrough on PC this time around instead of 360 for some reason...Which will probably come back to bite me due to that I've none of the DLC for ME2 on PC and I'm not even sure I can get it for the Steam version.

3rd Lyran Guards
2nd Oriente Hussars
Scorpion Empire Tau & Seeker Galaxy

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #93 on: 29 June 2016, 10:14:43 »
i make a guess most of them think about playing on PC = small screen, keyboard & mouse only. We know better, right? Right!?

Depends on the person.  I've encountered rants about any attempt to take games out of their original context.  I don't think anyone has made the argument that something like a multi cart is bad.  But, any hardware with specs different from the original in terms of display, audio or even processing power is an altered experience.  I'm not nostalgic for the display lines that appeared in Double Dragon when too many sprites were on screen.  But, i know there are people who think this is absolutely critical to the true experience of the game.

I was just at Too Many Games last weekend and i can say the retro community can be insane.  There are advocates for not using modern televisions, and certainly not monitors.  Even crazier, vendors that cater to this idea.  I suppose with every passion there is a purist that rides the line of ridiculous, and some that would call those people degenerate sellouts.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #94 on: 29 June 2016, 11:48:43 »
I was just at Too Many Games last weekend and i can say the retro community can be insane.  There are advocates for not using modern televisions, and certainly not monitors.  Even crazier, vendors that cater to this idea.  I suppose with every passion there is a purist that rides the line of ridiculous, and some that would call those people degenerate sellouts.
Do they insist on playing Elite on BBC Micro and refuse playing any other version of it on any other machine? What is their attitude about monitors that were made for home computers of the time (BBC Micro got those too)?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #95 on: 29 June 2016, 11:55:49 »
Do they insist on playing Elite on BBC Micro and refuse playing any other version of it on any other machine? What is their attitude about monitors that were made for home computers of the time (BBC Micro got those too)?

I couldn't say, because that is a reference with which i'm not familiar.

BUT!  I have sat in on panels about, no joke, American tube TVs vs Japanese tube TVs and which is the better choice for playing an American localized version of a Japanese game intended to be played on an American localized version of a Japanese game system.

aka...

NES better on American TVs vs Japanese TVs.

But, i should point out this is a very, very tiny and weirdly vocal minority.  I have no opinion, other than the prospect of paying someone for dumpster diving for a 1970s wood paneled, cabinet style floor sitter is insane. 
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #96 on: 29 June 2016, 11:57:26 »
But, i should point out this is a very, very tiny and weirdly vocal minority.  I have no opinion, other than the prospect of paying someone for dumpster diving for a 1970s wood paneled, cabinet style floor sitter is insane.

So that's who grabbed my wife's TV when we moved her and her mom to the 'burbs a while back.
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Now I've got the image of a Haywire pod that's broadcasting "stop hitting yourself" over and over." MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #97 on: 29 June 2016, 12:21:36 »
BUT!  I have sat in on panels about, no joke, American tube TVs vs Japanese tube TVs and which is the better choice for playing an American localized version of a Japanese game intended to be played on an American localized version of a Japanese game system.

aka...

NES better on American TVs vs Japanese TVs.
Is that in some way significantly different from debate about different monitors from different manufacturers from different countries? Computer magazines make reviews and comparisons about that subject, and some mags take in (new smart) TVs too.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #98 on: 29 June 2016, 12:33:07 »
Is that in some way significantly different from debate about different monitors from different manufacturers from different countries? Computer magazines make reviews and comparisons about that subject, and some mags take in (new smart) TVs too.

I suppose not.  The idea of an "authentic" experience isn't that different from how something is "supposed to be played" on modern hardware.  Tedious, but worse because of the nostalgia factor.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Aokarasu

• Captain
  • Commander, Musei Yuuchi
« Reply #99 on: 29 June 2016, 13:21:22 »
Picked up Stellaris and Gloria Victis during the current Steam Sale, and bought Windward for my son (I already have it).

Stellaris is easily worth the $35 I paid for it; enough depth to keep you engaged, yet no unnecessary complications added to simulate "depth."

Gloria Victis is a low-magic, medieval MMO that is still in its Alpha; I primarily bought it because once it goes live, you won't get all of the included content. You will be able to purchase access to such via microtransactions (more detail is on their website). For $18, it's worth it to me to give them a shot. The gameplay seems good, especially for an alpha, and the graphics are definitely nice. There's no targeted attacks - you have to swing your weapon and/or aim your bow so you actually hit your target. This means you actually have to aim your bow upward to some degree, depending on how far away the intended target is.

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #100 on: 29 June 2016, 13:31:11 »

I play Elite on my BBC model B, complete with green-screen monitor for nostagia every now and again, but I don't consider the experience of playing it on my PC via emulator to be in any way inferior when it comes to the game itself.
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #101 on: 29 June 2016, 13:40:29 »
Couldn't sleep after an argument with the better half a couple of nights ago (who knew a half-German, half-Irish woman would have a temper?), and since I was up anyway and didn't want to dive into Fallout 4 in the middle of the night I powered up the old PC and threw in Command & Conquer: Generals for old times' sake.

Glad I did- I forgot how much fun that game is. Did a game against the AI as each of the major armies, and won via:

+American airstrike-pummeling with a follow-on from a small team of Humvees loaded with snipers and missile infantry

+GLA tank swarm backed by Scuds to deal with enemy defense structures. ("Anthrax: It does a body... bad...")

+China infantry zerg-rush backed by BTRs and air-dropped minigunners, with an assist from a few MiGs to deal with stragglers

Why did I stop playing this?
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #102 on: 29 June 2016, 13:56:30 »
Stellaris is easily worth the $35 I paid for it; enough depth to keep you engaged, yet no unnecessary complications added to simulate "depth."

When did you start playing? The 1.2 patch dropped this week, there were some significant changes to the diplomacy system.
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Now I've got the image of a Haywire pod that's broadcasting "stop hitting yourself" over and over." MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #103 on: 29 June 2016, 15:37:38 »
I suppose not.  The idea of an "authentic" experience isn't that different from how something is "supposed to be played" on modern hardware.  Tedious, but worse because of the nostalgia factor.

Nostalgia does weird things to people, especially when it comes to video games. The old console wars still flare up now and then, and God forbid you should ever mention anything bad with a Sonic game (weirdly, Mario fans tend to not be anywhere as vociferous; I have no idea why). I strongly suspect that the combination of high prices and relative youth of the mainstream video game market drives people to an extreme form of confirmation bias: I was bought and enjoyed X, thus X must be the best. The outright vicious marketing tactics of the past certainly didn't help any.

But anyway. Most of the "professional" Let's Players and Streamers use XBox 360 controllers when using emulators, so that's what I use. They're sturdy, relatively inexpensive, and comfortable in my hands. Sometimes I have to remap buttons, but that's more because some older games had baffling layouts (Mega Man, I am looking DIRECTLY at you). I played these games on crappy TV sets with awful controllers back in the day. I've put in my time, and now I'd rather enjoy the game rather than fight the controls.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #104 on: 29 June 2016, 16:16:22 »
On the other side of the coin there are retro game enthusiasts that would say playing emulations, especially PC emulations of console games is a different experience.  I kind of get it.  Playing Sonic 2 on my old Genesis is way different than playing it even on XBox.  Unfortunately, this is the same reason why i have to buy an overpriced Turbo Graffix 16 in order to scratch the itch of a certain Bonk's Adventure enthusiast.
it is a totally different expiriance ...as much as i love my desk top and lap top there is some element missing that makes emulated games played not as much fun...
for example i recently tried playing NES super mario bros with my youngling while back we did not enjoy it because controllers did not pause other player in order to kill them...

also if you are playing pc desktop or laptop you cannot play them on the sofa or floor...( no we do not have tv in my house no need for it)
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #105 on: 29 June 2016, 16:33:18 »
Crusader Kings II

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #106 on: 29 June 2016, 17:44:57 »
because some one made the bt mod for supreme commander and updated it...now i am going to play it this evening...

damn your dark black heart who ever made that mod...i will not be getting much bed rest as per doctors orders... ;D
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #107 on: 29 June 2016, 19:15:27 »
Nostalgia does weird things to people, especially when it comes to video games. The old console wars still flare up now and then, and God forbid you should ever mention anything bad with a Sonic game (weirdly, Mario fans tend to not be anywhere as vociferous; I have no idea why). I strongly suspect that the combination of high prices and relative youth of the mainstream video game market drives people to an extreme form of confirmation bias: I was bought and enjoyed X, thus X must be the best. The outright vicious marketing tactics of the past certainly didn't help any.

Emotional investment frequently plays a part, but I suspect in the Sonic/Mario divide it might have to do with the fact that Nintendo has continued to deliver very solid Mario titles while Sega has turned out a lot of Sonic duds.  Speaking as someone who owned a Sega Genesis as a kid.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #108 on: 29 June 2016, 22:34:14 »
also if you are playing pc desktop or laptop you cannot play them on the sofa or floor...
Yes you can. You can get wireless controllers, you can get extension cords to your existing controllers, you can get wireless keyboard with a touchpad, you can get monitor that is larger than average colour TV of the 1980's, you can even get video projector & projection screen. New video projectors are available for less than 100 €/$ and of the used ones you can get bigger/better for the same cost. There is no need to say "cannot".

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #109 on: 29 June 2016, 22:50:55 »
My controllers are wireless, and even have a nifty recharging dock. I could run a cable from my computer to a TV, if I had a TV. I'm given to understand that there are wireless dongles that can stream video from computers to TVs as well, but I've not done much research into them.

If your particular nostalgia is sitting on the floor, then the market has you covered.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Aokarasu

• Captain
  • Commander, Musei Yuuchi
« Reply #110 on: 30 June 2016, 07:08:53 »
When did you start playing? The 1.2 patch dropped this week, there were some significant changes to the diplomacy system.

Bought it about a week ago; I did note the changes to the diplomacy system.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #111 on: 01 July 2016, 09:39:16 »
Yes you can. You can get wireless controllers, you can get extension cords to your existing controllers, you can get wireless keyboard with a touchpad, you can get monitor that is larger than average colour TV of the 1980's, you can even get video projector & projection screen. New video projectors are available for less than 100 €/$ and of the used ones you can get bigger/better for the same cost. There is no need to say "cannot".
its not quite the same...the fights over tangled controllers are fun also resetting the console race from sofa to consoles are fun too and life skill is not to get tangled in cables...
or my fave parents shutting tv off or switching chanells when you are almost at the end...

so emulation expirience is rather deluted...

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #112 on: 01 July 2016, 10:09:39 »
Cheers love, the cavalry's here. I just downloaded Overwatch and will try to play it after work tonight.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

GhostBear

• Minister of Assimilation, TOG Empire
  • Captain
  • And....out.
    • One world at a time...
« Reply #113 on: 01 July 2016, 10:12:43 »
Cheers love, the cavalry's here. I just downloaded Overwatch and will try to play it after work tonight.

WOOOOHOOOOO!

See you in the trenches soon. :D
Eh.

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #114 on: 01 July 2016, 11:11:28 »
WOOOOHOOOOO!

See you in the trenches soon. :D
Copy that, chances are I'll be Reindhardt tanking it up.
I want that Gurren Lagann skin of his.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

GhostBear

• Minister of Assimilation, TOG Empire
  • Captain
  • And....out.
    • One world at a time...
« Reply #115 on: 01 July 2016, 13:15:20 »
Copy that, chances are I'll be Reindhardt tanking it up.
I want that Gurren Lagann skin of his.

I got Pharah's Thunderbird skin and I don't care about anything else anymore. :D
Eh.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #116 on: 01 July 2016, 13:25:52 »
its not quite the same...the fights over tangled controllers are fun also resetting the console race from sofa to consoles are fun too and life skill is not to get tangled in cables...
or my fave parents shutting tv off or switching chanells when you are almost at the end...

so emulation expirience is rather deluted...

Jokes, right? Because if you miss that, you may need some real help.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #117 on: 01 July 2016, 13:27:25 »
It wouldn't shock me if someone liked something like this for nostalgia reasons.  Nostalgia is a disease of the mind.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #118 on: 01 July 2016, 13:33:26 »
It wouldn't shock me if someone liked something like this for nostalgia reasons.  Nostalgia is a disease of the mind.

Very true. PROTIP: The world was worse when you were young.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #119 on: 01 July 2016, 13:43:13 »
Very true. PROTIP: The world was worse when you were young.

But... i had no responsibilities back then.  Surely things were objectively better then and the passage of time, not my transformation into an adult is to blame.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Register