Author Topic: Doctor Who: Where did I leave the Tardis?  (Read 53945 times)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Re: Doctor Who: Where did I leave the Tardis?
« Reply #30 on: 31 October 2018, 06:41:57 »
It's Halloween (as of this posting) it's Doctor related.  Goes well with the name of our thread.

As the note, the Tardas is being played by 1980s Mac Computer.  ;D
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #31 on: 31 October 2018, 10:49:21 »
SPIDERS! Why did it have to be SPIDERS?!?!?!?!?!?

xp

Ruger

Did anyone else get the feeling this episode was a bit of a throwback to the Pertwee era?  I'm thinking "The Green Death" in particular.

Cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: 31 October 2018, 11:24:18 »
Did anyone else get the feeling this episode was a bit of a throwback to the Pertwee era?  I'm thinking "The Green Death" in particular.

Cheers,

Gabe
Not sure about the throwback, but I did find the Doctor's no-gun attitude to be almost out of place in the final resolution.  The giant spider was slowly suffocating because she grew too big.  No fix was mentioned, suggesting that the only option was to allow the creature to die a natural death.  By suffocation.

And all the other spiders would presumably suffer the same slow death in the not-Trump's panic room.

Okay, I'll accept her no-gun policy, but leaving the spiders to a slow death when they've acted without malice seems cruel.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #33 on: 31 October 2018, 14:06:50 »
Doctor has always been a no-guns character except under extreme circumstances. The 12th Doctor used gun on the General for as example, then there was the forgotten War Doctor.

I do think pushing no gun thing is getting little annoying.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #34 on: 31 October 2018, 15:16:12 »
Doctor has always been a no-guns character except under extreme circumstances. The 12th Doctor used gun on the General for as example, then there was the forgotten War Doctor.

The 10.5 Doctor in his last outing also ended up using one and it nearly looked like he would use it either on Rassilon or on the Master, but he managed to find a better way...

In other news, I managed to find three more original series serials at a used book store on a trip I had to make between yesterday and today so I now have "The Seeds of Death" (now only need one serial, his last one, to have what is currently available of the original run of Patrick Troughton's Second Doctor...also need The Two Doctors to have all of his on screen adventures), "Horror of Fang Rock" (only a dozen more Tom Baker adventures to go!), and "Castrovalva" to enjoy over the next few days...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: 31 October 2018, 22:48:50 »

And don't forget the Sixth Doctor taking the lead to the Cyber Controller.  But he was psycho anyway.

Cheers, Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #36 on: 01 November 2018, 10:44:50 »

Cheers,

Gabe

Kind of felt it.

Not sure about the throwback, but I did find the Doctor's no-gun attitude to be almost out of place in the final resolution.  The giant spider was slowly suffocating because she grew too big.  No fix was mentioned, suggesting that the only option was to allow the creature to die a natural death.  By suffocation.

And all the other spiders would presumably suffer the same slow death in the not-Trump's panic room.

Okay, I'll accept her no-gun policy, but leaving the spiders to a slow death when they've acted without malice seems cruel.

I kind of let the decision slide, as it was in character for her.  Though now that I think about it, she may have had something else planned had the mercy kill not happened.

I think in the case of the General, he used the gun, knowing it was set to "kill," under the condition that he knew the General was going to regenerate.  If it had been the last incarnation, the Doctor might not have pulled the trigger.
"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: 01 November 2018, 14:27:40 »
I kind of let the decision slide, as it was in character for her.  Though now that I think about it, she may have had something else planned had the mercy kill not happened.

I think in the case of the General, he used the gun, knowing it was set to "kill," under the condition that he knew the General was going to regenerate.  If it had been the last incarnation, the Doctor might not have pulled the trigger.
Didn't he say something like, "Death is like man-flu for Time Lords"?

If I had to guess, she had something in mind for addressing the spiders, but that's based on knowing who the Doctor is  and what....

Idle, but serious question:  which pronoun is correct when discussing a trans woman's actions from before their transition?

Anyway, I base the aforementioned guess on knowing the Doctor's MO and history.  On the other hand 11 was about to lobotomize the space whale to end its pain and save the colony ship in its back. The Doctor is no stranger to violence, or killing, or mercy.  The War Doctor was prepared to whip out two races to spare the rest of space and time.

Robertson pulled the trigger out of hate and fear and ego. I won't say that he did the right thing for the wrong reasons, but maybe he did the "least bad thing" for the wrong reasons.

Maybe there was something that got left on the editing room floor that would have fleshed this out and addressed the ones trapped in the panic room.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: 01 November 2018, 23:33:15 »

Idle, but serious question:  which pronoun is correct when discussing a trans woman's actions from before their transition?

Hmm...in the case of the Doctor, since we DO have 13 previous bodies and personalities to consider (even though they were all male), I think they/their/them are appropriate.  Otherwise you have to start making stuff up IMO.

Maybe there was something that got left on the editing room floor that would have fleshed this out and addressed the ones trapped in the panic room.

What about the ones that had already gotten into the city?

cheers,

Gabe

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #39 on: 11 November 2018, 07:43:01 »
So...nobody had opinions about the space gremlin from Hell...?

Cheers, Gabe

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #40 on: 12 November 2018, 13:54:13 »
So...nobody had opinions about the space gremlin from Hell...?

Cheers, Gabe

You kidding?  He was a cute little *******.  :)   :thumbsup:  And clever solution for getting rid of him.

BTW, thanks for the reminder:  Is it me, or is her Sonic Screwdriver shorting out a lot more frequently?
"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #41 on: 12 November 2018, 15:25:24 »
It is improvised.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #42 on: 13 November 2018, 05:33:47 »
The War Doctor was prepared to whip out two races to spare the rest of space and time.
IIRC the War Doctor did.  (It didn't stick)  The prepared-to was wiping out Gallifrey as well, which was changed to locking it away.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #43 on: 13 November 2018, 10:02:02 »
Question: Is the new doctor better than Capaldi? For reference, I loved Tennant and Smith was OK, but couldn't stand Capaldi.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #44 on: 13 November 2018, 10:47:35 »
I'm enjoying her portrayal so far. Shades of early, joyful Tennant, before the 10th got all depressed. Writing has been a touch weak, but with a couple of very good episodes. I think they're allowing the on the fence fans a chance to get used to a female doctor.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #45 on: 16 November 2018, 07:58:50 »
Well, another episode with socio-political overtones that make commenting here difficult.

I will say:
--is this the first time since "Father's Day" that we've had an episode that delved so deeply into a particular companion's past?  (Indeed, before Yaz was even born...)
--the Vajarians seem to do basically the same sort of work as Testimony.  And their appearance effect looked a lot like Apparating in the Harry Potter films.
--I was looking at pictures of ancient Indian art and sculptures today, to see if there wasn't something in old Indian mythology that resembles the Vajarians i.e. some kind of spirit that appears as a harbinger of impending death.
--I'm glad the writer decided not to go the wibbly-wobbly-timey-wimey route with Yaz's grandmother having met her e.g. dropping some comment right at the end about "I knew someone who looked so much like you when I was still in India..." etc.
--I really wonder whether the story isn't in some sense autobiographical for the scriptwriter, inspired by events in his/her own family's past.  It's also not hard to imagine that it's meant as a commentary on the current situation in India.

cheers,

Gabe

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: 17 November 2018, 08:30:10 »
FYI, Blogtor Who has posted this primer concerning the historical background for "Demons of the Punjab"

https://www.blogtorwho.com/doctor-who-the-reality-behind-demons-of-the-punjab/

Cheers, Gabe

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #47 on: 17 November 2018, 09:53:30 »
The last two episodes have used my favorite two kinds of of dr who aliens - a semi-sentient threat that can’t be defeated by run of the mill trickery, and apparent adversaries that are misunderstood.

In historical settings, I’m uncomfortable with inserting an element into human agency that deflects from man-made tragedy so I’m glad the Vajarians were not used in that capacity

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #48 on: 17 November 2018, 17:34:43 »
Just saw a promo for the next episode.  That fez 11 ordered about several years ago?  Finally showed up.  :thumbsup: :)
Five rounds, rapid!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #49 on: 17 November 2018, 21:29:56 »
She doesn't strike me as being a Fezz wearing sort of person.

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #50 on: 17 November 2018, 23:52:12 »
She doesn't strike me as being a Fezz wearing sort of person.

The fez looked good on her.  Well, OK, the fez looked better on 10 and 11.  Be like putting the scarf on 12, I suppose.  Still, wasn't bad.
Five rounds, rapid!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #51 on: 18 November 2018, 11:33:13 »
Hmm...in the case of the Doctor, since we DO have 13 previous bodies and personalities to consider (even though they were all male), I think they/their/them are appropriate.  Otherwise you have to start making stuff up IMO.

During the spider story, the Doctor had mentioned she was woman before. Which makes me wonder if the writers was just making it sound like she bit confused about the origin or their...remaking past for the doctor.  My wife thought the doctor inhabits people vs their own body.  My canon-head says its just throwaway random jabber.  She barely....weeks in living in her body now.  The original Doctor seem to be have been only a man most his first generation's life, at least in the last Christmas special with Peter in it.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #52 on: 24 November 2018, 03:30:38 »
The fez looked good on her.  Well, OK, the fez looked better on 10 and 11.  Be like putting the scarf on 12, I suppose.  Still, wasn't bad.

Well she did ask, "is this still me?". Should've followed it up with " I used to think these were cool... "

Not much discussion of the last episode.  Who exactly was the villain supposed to be? 

I thought this was the most old-school feeling episode so far.  More of the Tennant/early Smith era feel, but also a pretty big nod to "The Robots of Death", IMO.

Cheers, Gabe

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #53 on: 24 November 2018, 06:45:26 »
Forgot to add:  explosive bubblewrap.  You would think that would be an Auton thing...

Cheers, Gabe

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #54 on: 24 November 2018, 12:12:51 »
Forgot to add:  explosive bubblewrap.  You would think that would be an Auton thing...

Cheers, Gabe

Just one more thing Doctor Who has made me scared of.  :o
Five rounds, rapid!

Robroy

• Lieutenant
  • Not named, but not gone. Maybe.
« Reply #55 on: 25 November 2018, 11:39:22 »
I am still on the fence with this Doctor, but that is normal for me and a new Doctor. She is good, I think it is the writing that needs to step up.

I am only three episodes in, just finished Rosa. Kept hoping they would at least mention Claudette Colvin.

Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way (Tao) to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed"-Sun Tzu

"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"-Sun Tzu

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #56 on: 25 November 2018, 15:27:57 »
Just one more thing Doctor Who has made me scared of.  :o

Barcelona is FULL of sculptures hiding their faces. I walk fast past them.
« Last Edit: 26 November 2018, 08:44:05 by Elmoth »

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #57 on: 25 November 2018, 21:07:52 »
"Oh. Well, it's obvious when you put it like that."

;D

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #58 on: 25 November 2018, 23:21:36 »
That's funny.  I just watched video (i haven't seen latest episode yet) about as 9th Doctor was talking to Rose, he was going take her to Barcelona.

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
« Reply #59 on: 05 December 2018, 01:12:56 »
I’ve given it a go, but I’m struggling to keep interest.  Capaldi wasn’t great every time out, but he had some great episodes....I stuck around and found enough to keep me going.

So far,  I’ve found this season’s to just be mostly bad.  Some of it has been the increased asking need for absolute political correctness, and some of it the need to keep having the new gender be a repetitive storyline, but in general I think it’s just been bad writing, and an actress that’s trying to incorporate the wrong parts of past doctors into her portrayal.  It feels like she’s trying to be a mish-mash of recent versions with a hefty dose of reversing gender stereotypes.  Having a team instead of only one companion has been a nice upshot, but it’s not enough to keep me intrigued.

CDT Special Agent #343