Author Topic: Steam Deck  (Read 7098 times)

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
Re: Steam Deck
« Reply #30 on: 21 July 2021, 14:32:59 »
Oh this is very good news and was something I was hoping for. The Deck UI will eventually replace Big Picture which has been accumulating a lot of functional debt including outdated chromium browser, shop links and sales not working at all, partial functionality in game organization, missing game key entry, and weird half integration with voice and chat.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/steam-decks-ui-will-be-replacing-steams-big-picture-mode
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #31 on: 21 July 2021, 15:37:57 »
I like the idea of this (an of the Switch) but I won't be buying one. My reasons basically come down to size and capability - it's too big to go in a pocket so I need a bag, and if I've got to take a bag anyway, why not bring my more capable laptop? The number of times I'd use an intermediate device is too small to justify the cost, especially with such limited storage. Also, I never got the hang of console-style controllers, and found the Switch I tried to be quite uncomfortable to use.

I'm really glad they exist though, I've got friends who'll love this!
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: 22 July 2021, 06:03:34 »
I like the idea of this (an of the Switch) but I won't be buying one. My reasons basically come down to size and capability - it's too big to go in a pocket so I need a bag, and if I've got to take a bag anyway, why not bring my more capable laptop? The number of times I'd use an intermediate device is too small to justify the cost, especially with such limited storage. Also, I never got the hang of console-style controllers, and found the Switch I tried to be quite uncomfortable to use.

I'm really glad they exist though, I've got friends who'll love this!

I think this is more aimed at the mobile gaming crowd, tbh. Or more accurately, replacing the mobile games of the PC and console crowd.

If you have a lengthy public transport commute each day, or travel a lot for work, this would be right up your alley. Bonus points for the dock, which will act just like the Switch dock, so you can play it in a hotel with a TV and a free HDMi port, much lighter and more portable than a laptop.

TheoLehman

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #33 on: 22 July 2021, 09:01:16 »
Isn't the Steam Deck Dock a separate purchase?  That would imply that they're looking at docked play as a secondary use.
Personally I'm bothered by its use of SteamOS and the mandatory Proton requirement.  It means you could very easily be browsing Steam on your Steam Deck, decide to buy a game, then be unable to play it because it's not compatible with the machine you bought it for.  Is the Deck's version of the Steam Client going to filter non-compatible games?
Also I was reminded recently that Valve doesn't have the best track record of supporting its hardware.  The Steam Link was mentioned with significant bitterness.
Look, every time I hear more about the Steam Deck I end up with new reasons to encourage everyone to be cautious, if not outright trepidatious, about buying one.  Maybe don't pre-order one, is what I'm saying.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #34 on: 22 July 2021, 17:48:58 »
One idea where it could be good is multiplayer using the Steam Deck and the Steam Interface.

What you do is go to a friend's house, and pull out your Steam deck.  You point it at the screen that the host is using, and ask them to click an option to link the Steam accounts.  The host can choose if it will be temporary (and a selectable timeframe), or permanent (i.e. Steam Friends).  From there, the Steam client on the computer will display something like a QR code that the Steam Decks can view and translate.  This will cause the Steam Decks to transmit friend requests to the host, that the host can accept (temporary or permanent).  Once the Decks are linked to the host's Steam setup, the host selects a multiplayer game, and the Steam Decks check to see if that game is installed.  If the game is installed, they can choose to launch the game as well, or the person with the Steam Deck can decline.  If the game is not installed, the Deck will prompt the owner to ask if they want to purchase/download/install the game.

Once the host has the game up, and the corresponding Steam decks are linked, the multiplayer game can begin.  The Steam decks can be used as extra screens to serve as extra crewmembers, additional crew to control turrets for a World of Warships type game, or other similar sub-commander type positions.  Balance and turning detection will allow the person holding the Steam deck to protect the main character from threats in a variety of directions.  Of course, it will help if the guests are also connected through the host's wifi network.  If they are, the Steam setup tries to make a LAN using the wifi setup, instead of needing to coordinate via central servers.

As an example, imagine having friends over and everyone playing Artemis Starship simulator.  No need to set up a LAN, just invite friends over, and Steam handles all the coordination needed.  Or Genesis Alpha, where the host plays the commander, and individuals play the NPCs.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #35 on: 20 August 2021, 00:38:33 »
A bit late, but I’m pleased with how enthused Linus Sebastian was with the deck. Also now kind of jealous at that matte screen.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Lanceman

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Blake Be Praised
« Reply #36 on: 22 August 2021, 18:47:28 »
I think it’s a really cool product idea. I’m just not in the target audience for it anymore I think. I don’t need my gaming to be *that* mobile. I would like a handhed to play emulators on, but I can do that much more cheaply with one of the Raspberry Pi kits.
"Pure truth cannot be assimilated by the crowd; it must be communicated by contagion" -  Henri-Frédéric Amiel

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: 27 February 2022, 15:11:49 »
The Steam Deck has been officially launched; the first batch of reviews are being posted.

I wonder if or when there might be word as to whether HBS' BATTLETECH runs on it or not.
« Last Edit: 27 February 2022, 15:13:38 by Nerroth »

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #38 on: 27 February 2022, 16:46:49 »
The Steam Deck has been officially launched; the first batch of reviews are being posted.

I wonder if or when there might be word as to whether HBS' BATTLETECH runs on it or not.

For those interested, there's a continuously updating list of your library here. Battletech isn't listed yet so they haven't gotten around to it.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 06 June 2022, 21:20:00 »
I think resurrecting this thread is reasonable since the Deck has been released. Mod colleagues, feel free to challenge me on this if you feel otherwise.

Anyone have the Deck in hand? How is the machine? Do you like it? How are the games?

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #40 on: 06 June 2022, 23:14:32 »
Might be useful for Witcher 3 or Cyberpunk 2077. Mostly I like to play Civ 6, Stellaris, Planet Coaster, and Cities Skylines. Most of those probably don't work well with the switch but haven't looked into it that much.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #41 on: 06 June 2022, 23:24:34 »
Civ and Skylines does pretty well for sure on the Switch. However, there's nearly no DLC on Skylines and the AI starts to bog down in late game civ 6 if you're not careful.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #42 on: 07 June 2022, 05:41:14 »
...... Meant Steam Deck not Switch. Get one stuck in your head just to forget the other  xp

anarchy

• Private
« Reply #43 on: 08 June 2022, 02:07:48 »
I’ve got a Steam Deck. My initial thoughts are pretty positive, but I’ve barely scratched the surface. My only complaint so far is the battery life — it drains pretty quickly when playing but also needs charging after a couple days just sitting in the case. Build quality is top-notch. I find it pretty easy to hold, but it’s bigger than I thought it was going to be.

Desk Job is fantastic. It should be the first game you install and play…

I’ll install Battletech and try it out, but its still listed as unknown compatibility.

anarchy

• Private
« Reply #44 on: 08 June 2022, 13:39:59 »
Battletech runs fine on the Steam Deck. Actually loads faster than on my desktop PC because of the SSD.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #45 on: 08 June 2022, 14:06:21 »
That's good. I had thought the game was listed as unsupported or untested still.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #46 on: 08 June 2022, 17:50:01 »
Dang... even blown up, I need my reading glasses to make out any of that text...  :P

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #47 on: 08 June 2022, 17:54:02 »
Yeah that's always the risk without a UI redesign. I've enjoyed the PC games I've played that were ported to the Switch, but they definitely needed a simpler UI. I regard Civ VI in that respect a near miracle.

anarchy

• Private
« Reply #48 on: 08 June 2022, 18:13:21 »
That's good. I had thought the game was listed as unsupported or untested still.

It is still listed as untested (there's a question mark for its status on the thumbnail). But you can try questionable games from your library and I've found more stuff works than not. I haven't messed around with any settings to try to make it work better (and the UI is teeny-tiny).

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #49 on: 08 June 2022, 18:24:45 »
It is still listed as untested (there's a question mark for its status on the thumbnail). But you can try questionable games from your library and I've found more stuff works than not. I haven't messed around with any settings to try to make it work better (and the UI is teeny-tiny).

That's good because I have a new MacBook and discovered HBS BT has a showstopper bug under Rosetta mode and really bad texturing artifacts under Parallels with Windows.

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #50 on: 10 November 2023, 10:49:32 »
A new Steam Deck OLED model (technically, two of them, plus a Limited Edition) is (or are) due out in the US and Canada next week. No word yet on if/when it is due to show up elsewhere, though.

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #51 on: 11 December 2023, 13:28:25 »
As it happens, there is a former Rim Worlds Republic world called Gabenstad, which fell off the Inner Sphere and near Periphery maps at some point after the end of the Second Succession War. In the "contemporary" IlClan Era setting, the world is, or would be, in unclaimed space close to the Rim Territories.

So, if a Goliath Scorpion Seeker was to uncover a cache of LosTech devices from this lost world, and then find a way of making them functional once again, might this be the result?

-----

Beyond gaming mode, SteamOS has a desktop mode which enables the Steam Deck - LCD or OLED - to be used as a desktop Linux PC.

Although, it would be advised to do this while using a few added peripherals:

Said peripherals are also recommended for playing games designed to be played on a larger screen with a keyboard and mouse. Although, using the OLED screen while docked is not an altogether bad alternative.

SteamOS has Mozilla Firefox installed as standard, though other apps - such as Google Chrome, LibreOffice, and so forth - can be installed from the Discover Software Centre (an "app store" for Flatpaks).

Note, however, that SteamOS sets the system memory to read-only by default. While it is possible to alter this, Valve only suggest that option for someone who knows what they are doing - not least since any edits made are liable to be wiped in the next OS update.

So there are two main ways to get new things running on the Steam Deck: to download (or transfer) and install them in the Steam client itself, or to use Flatpaks from the Discover Software Centre.

-----

And to follow on from what is noted above, HBS' BattleTech is now listed as "Playable" on Steam.
« Last Edit: 11 December 2023, 13:54:15 by Nerroth »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #52 on: 11 December 2023, 18:10:38 »
Good to see convergence coming from the other side for once... ;D

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #53 on: 07 February 2024, 11:13:35 »
Ironically, to this point most of the game-related use I have had for the Steam Deck OLED has been to play games that are best played with a keyboard and mouse.

For example: Total War: Three Kingdoms is listed as Unsupported on Steam, yet it (mostly) runs well enough - though it's best to play on an external monitor with mouse and keyboard.

More recently, however, I installed my first Deck Verified game: Spider-Man Remastered. But of course, while you can play it in handheld mode, you also have the option to play it in docked mode with a separate controller.

And what might be a good choice of controller for that particular game?

This is the Midnight Black colour DualSense.

Notably, when you connect this controller to the Steam Deck (which can be done either via type-C USB or via Bluetooth), SteamOS replaces with A, B, X, and Y buttons on the interface with the four PlayStation buttons!

Also, on both the Steam Deck's own controls and on the external controller, it is possible to swap the button configurations to the Nintendo standard input: B swaps with A, while X swaps with Y.

Plus, the trackpad on the DualSense works as a trackpad in desktop mode, if you wanted to use it for that.

And you can manually adjust whether or not desktop mode activates the controller's built-in microphone and/or speakers. (At least when connected via type-C USB; I gather that not all of the DualSense features work on Deck via Bluetooth.)

Do any of you have an external controller for use in docked mode - and, if so, which one do you prefer?

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #54 on: 07 February 2024, 18:19:16 »
I keep a Steam Deck for handheld and a gaming "HTPC" in the TV room FWIW. I think a PS5 controller is perfectly suitable for any controller game. I'm an XBox controller person since the 360 so the Series X controller is just amazing to me. If I need finer control over an M&K game I just use the Steam Controller or the Steam Deck itself thanks to the wonderful Steam Input setup. If I need fine control *and* speed as in an RTS, then I really do need M&K. But for my use case, that's probably 1% or less of my Steam library.