Author Topic: dvd/Blu ray players  (Read 607 times)

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
dvd/Blu ray players
« on: 23 February 2024, 14:50:06 »
What is it with modern players, where it seems, that for the past 4 units i've owned (one LG, two sony and one panasonic).  It seems for some reason, ALL Four have had the recognizing of the blue ray disks 'crap out', within 13-14 months of use, but each still has had the dvd side work normally.

SO what is it with them, where the BLUE RAY Side seems to always conk out, but NOT the DVD side?!??!
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

elf25s

• Major
Re: dvd/Blu ray players
« Reply #1 on: 23 February 2024, 15:59:01 »
design self obscelesence
try off brand dvd/blue ray player they seem to last longer
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #2 on: 23 February 2024, 16:03:38 »
A continual drive to reduce production costs, combined with the much finer precision needed for the more information-dense Blu-Rays. As far as these companies are concerned, all physical media is obsolete and this hardware is a niche market. They feel no need to maintain quality because they really would rather concentrate on higher-profit devices.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 24 February 2024, 00:14:01 »
design self obscelesence
try off brand dvd/blue ray player they seem to last longer

Such as which brands?  Most stores i look in, just HAVE sony, panasonic or LG.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #4 on: 24 February 2024, 02:28:57 »
I've always used a Playstation for watching Blu Rays.  Haven't had any issues yet.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 24 February 2024, 09:57:40 »
Such as which brands?  Most stores i look in, just HAVE sony, panasonic or LG.
any brand that you can find even in big grocery store as long as its made in vietnam malasia or either places other than china japan korea
but blue rays always were crap since they came out ...and not improved either. i bought first blue ray players they were almost 700 usd to almost 900plus they only lasted weeks had to return them and got fed up got refund. went back again like an idiot same thing and this was also from major brands too...gave up. never went back i still have a dvd player from 20 years back and it still works
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #6 on: 24 February 2024, 10:47:30 »
I've always used a Playstation for watching Blu Rays.  Haven't had any issues yet.

This reinforces my point. Unlike a standalone disk player, Playstations (and other high-end gaming consoles) are prestige, mainstream electronics and thus built to a higher standard.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 24 February 2024, 15:12:49 »
May have to check out the local stores, to see what a Play station or the like, run for..

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #8 on: 25 February 2024, 07:55:28 »
I've got a 10-year old Panasonic VHS-Blu-Ray combo player that works fine. It has trouble with some of the latest forms of Blu-Ray disks, but it works fine with older Blu-Rays, DVDs, and CDs.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 25 February 2024, 14:47:12 »
Well, with a decent blu-ray player running only 65-90 bucks, and an x[box or ps3 running 300+, i think i will give the PS option a pass.

Prospernia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 26 February 2024, 20:48:49 »
I've used a desktop with XP, and VLC-player and I can view Blue-Rays just fine.

sweatysweets

• Recruit
    • coreball
« Reply #11 on: 27 February 2024, 21:29:55 »
I have always watched Blu-Rays on a Playstation.  So far, no problems.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #12 on: 28 February 2024, 00:41:30 »
A continual drive to reduce production costs, combined with the much finer precision needed for the more information-dense Blu-Rays. As far as these companies are concerned, all physical media is obsolete and this hardware is a niche market. They feel no need to maintain quality because they really would rather concentrate on higher-profit devices.

They've been pushing this for years, but with streaming going down in flames, a lot of people are even going *back* to physical media. I'll grant you though; a good disc-player remains hard to find. I had to replace one recently.

Selection was very poor and the unit itself was unimpressive. I ended up buying their bargain model and then a week later found a nice high-end used example at a thrift store for cheap.

Then there are folks like my Dad, who still have VHS...
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #13 on: 28 February 2024, 01:25:27 »
The issue with VHS at this point feels like it would be whether or not the tapes still work.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #14 on: 28 February 2024, 02:00:46 »
The issue with VHS at this point feels like it would be whether or not the tapes still work.

Unless they were abused, there is an extremely high likelihood that they're just fine. Magnetic media - at least the well-made stuff - is proving to be pretty stable.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 28 February 2024, 08:12:57 »
look into red dwarf why todays media is failing but vhs tapes still live on think it was 3 episode special back to earth why dvds and blue ray failed  and listers explanation
and weirdly even tho its a joke i have to agree

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #16 on: 28 February 2024, 17:54:21 »
The third post in response to this blog: https://shkspr.mobi/blog/2012/05/why-cant-red-dwarf-predict-the-future/

is the closest I've found to an explanation of that, and it TOTALLY matched my experience with CDs at least!