Author Topic: Clan Invasion Kickstarter Discussion 5, Green Eyeshade Edition  (Read 146375 times)

Asgo

• Warrant Officer
Re: Clan Invasion Kickstarter Discussion 5, Green Eyeshade Edition
« Reply #1290 on: 19 February 2020, 21:33:59 »
I intend to use it and just ignore the rules for spreading.
I think the fire rules also allow for easy effort reduction rule variants that are somewhere in between, e.g., slow speed (only roll for spreading every 2nd or 3rd round), pick a predefined direction with little fuel and few rolls, or roll en bloc for whole fire fronts reducing the total number of rolls.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1291 on: 19 February 2020, 21:50:10 »
Looks like you get pretty smoldering. Flip it over and use the other side if it’s an issue. People have been avoiding specific maps forever

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #1292 on: 20 February 2020, 01:25:33 »
There's simplified fire and smoke in the BMM that is easier to deal with.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #1293 on: 20 February 2020, 01:50:22 »
For simplicity's sake, just assume all the hexes on the map are already on fire.

Especially the water hexes.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

shivanwurm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1294 on: 20 February 2020, 03:45:31 »
The board is lava.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #1295 on: 20 February 2020, 03:57:25 »
That would be a quick game.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1296 on: 20 February 2020, 07:32:44 »
Should have brought VTOLs

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1297 on: 20 February 2020, 07:57:56 »
BMM?  BattleMech Manual?  I thought for second you said Battech Manual.  xp
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1298 on: 20 February 2020, 07:59:35 »
:through clenched teeth:: Box Canyon
You okay?  Your not Jade Falcon are you?  :-X
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1299 on: 20 February 2020, 08:45:31 »
Other than the fact than they have it on the map rather you want to use it or not. ;)
Judging by the preview pics, it doesn't say "fire" on the hexes, it i just a visual.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #1300 on: 20 February 2020, 11:22:24 »
Pilot 1:Is that fire moving?
Pilot 2: No, its just ComStar trying to camouflage a King Crab.

Tangoforone

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1301 on: 20 February 2020, 11:49:08 »
I wish I could say I am shocked that the Bears fell for that trap in the first place, but Clan culture dictates that they fall for obvious traps in combat against the Inner Sphere.  I imagine the conversation when deciding to use the trails went a little something like this:

Galaxy Commander: "Look!  Premade trails for us to use in order to travel through this forest such that we may honorably fight our enemy!  Convenience is with us today, brothers and sisters!"

Literally anyone with competence:  "Don't you think this might be a trap set by Comstar?  Literally everywhere the other Clans have gone have been booby trapped, leading to just outright slaughter.  Including the situation that our main force is in right now, which is the entire reason we are being called to service."

Galaxy Commander:  "Nonsense!  Now, forward to glory!" -minutes later- "It's a trap!  Does their deception know no end?!?!"

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #1302 on: 20 February 2020, 11:58:17 »
I wish I could say I am shocked that the Bears fell for that trap in the first place, but Clan culture dictates that they fall for obvious traps in combat against the Inner Sphere.  I imagine the conversation when deciding to use the trails went a little something like this:

Galaxy Commander: "Look!  Premade trails for us to use in order to travel through this forest such that we may honorably fight our enemy!  Convenience is with us today, brothers and sisters!"

Literally anyone with competence:  "Don't you think this might be a trap set by Comstar?  Literally everywhere the other Clans have gone have been booby trapped, leading to just outright slaughter.  Including the situation that our main force is in right now, which is the entire reason we are being called to service."

Galaxy Commander:  "Nonsense!  Now, forward to glory!" -minutes later- "It's a trap!  Does their deception know no end?!?!"

Anyone recall the Discworld character Lord Rust? He (and many 19th c. infantry commanders) were certainly clansmen. :)
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #1303 on: 20 February 2020, 12:35:59 »
It still happens in the real world, you don't avoid the path of least resistance until something bad happens.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #1304 on: 20 February 2020, 12:45:09 »
Its a sign of troops not used to dealing with the underhanded (Clans) or green . . . to use some maxims-

'The shortest path is always mined'

'Dead men walk the established trail'
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Precentor Scorpio

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1305 on: 20 February 2020, 12:49:39 »
I'm just waiting for my credit and hoping that the Star Colonel package gets reduced from what $260 to $185???.  Why have three Clusters of Clan 30 omni-mechs, 150 elementals , and 30 aerospace fighters when 45 omni-mechs, 75 elementals, and 30 aerospace fighters is more traditional.  65 omni-mechs for $185. :)   Or maybe a couple of stars of omni's, and some more Inner Sphere mechs to create a 2nd line cluster.  But, reducing the price of Star Colonel from $260 - $75 = $185 is crucial.

General308

• Captain
« Reply #1306 on: 20 February 2020, 15:22:02 »
For simplicity's sake, just assume all the hexes on the map are already on fire.

Especially the water hexes.
Time saver

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #1307 on: 20 February 2020, 19:43:20 »
I think the fire rules also allow for easy effort reduction rule variants that are somewhere in between, e.g., slow speed (only roll for spreading every 2nd or 3rd round), pick a predefined direction with little fuel and few rolls, or roll en bloc for whole fire fronts reducing the total number of rolls.

Not even going that far.  Hexes with fire on them are on fire and that's it.  8) Maybe say the brown hexes have smoke.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Asgo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1308 on: 20 February 2020, 20:01:24 »
Not even going that far.  Hexes with fire on them are on fire and that's it.  8) Maybe say the brown hexes have smoke.
sure that is one end of the scale. The point is that you can easily define and choose an almost arbitrary degree of extra effort between static fire and full fire spreading rules that fits how much time you want to invest in it in a game. Since, it represents a straight forward external influence (even if it may involve a lot of dice rolls) the effects of any variations are easily predictable and players should be able to agree on a variant without too many concerns on balance impact or similar.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #1309 on: 20 February 2020, 20:36:13 »
I like Fire/Smoke rules.

I don't care for SPREADING fire rules from the wind.

That is where it gets annoying.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1310 on: 21 February 2020, 00:17:54 »
Just doing my character survey now, and I'd just like to put down some thoughts about the questions: Question 7 should probably be a drop down with two options, I shouldn't need to say what they are, and for Question 8, how much am I supposed to put into? The question itself suggests a single world, or maybe only a few, but the size of the text box says brief description to me.

hf22

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1311 on: 21 February 2020, 01:08:00 »

The "Chaos Campaign: Battle of Tukayyid" book coming with the Kickstarter might also be a logical place to put some sort of suggested simplified rules for these custom maps, around fire spread and whatever.

BoyOfSummer

• Master Sergeant
  • I'll either find a way or make one.
« Reply #1312 on: 21 February 2020, 03:17:47 »
...Question 7...Question 8...
Maybe writing more than the numbers - say, the actual questions - would get you more answers. I - as very possible most others - don't have an eidetic memory, and so I've no frakking idea about what you're asking.
« Last Edit: 21 February 2020, 05:58:46 by BoyOfSummer »
If money could talk, it would say goodbye.

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #1313 on: 21 February 2020, 12:25:58 »
Question 7 should probably be a drop down with two options, I shouldn't need to say what they are,

Nope. We weren't going to force a binary answer.

and for Question 8, how much am I supposed to put into? The question itself suggests a single world, or maybe only a few, but the size of the text box says brief description to me.

I went back and forth on that, but eventually opted for the longer text field to allow respondents to frame the response however they want. Judging by the responses, most people seem to have gone with just a word or three, with maybe <5 pct of respondents going out to a full sentence or so.
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #1314 on: 21 February 2020, 16:41:03 »
Anyone got a run down of what art downloads we are supposed to have by this point?

I know some people got the new story, but I have been waiting on that email for the last few days and I have not seen one.  Any developments on that fiction release?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1315 on: 21 February 2020, 18:16:52 »
Has anyone gotten the email for the latest Kickstarter fiction from Blaine?

hf22

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1316 on: 22 February 2020, 03:53:16 »
Has anyone gotten the email for the latest Kickstarter fiction from Blaine?

Nup.

I'm assuming the mail out broke again, and we'll have to wait until next week for them to try again.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #1317 on: 22 February 2020, 12:13:25 »
I only got the mail for the new Sprawl Ops fiction today, and got notification it'd be coming a few days ago
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

shivanwurm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1318 on: 23 February 2020, 21:35:35 »
The slow weekend left me some time to look at camo specs for the minis I realistically don’t expect for 6-12 months.

WoolyMammoth

• Private
« Reply #1319 on: 23 February 2020, 21:48:37 »
The slow weekend left me some time to look at camo specs for the minis I realistically don’t expect for 6-12 months.

Give been doing something similar. I have decided for my IS forces to split into LC and Merc. Not sure which LC scheme I'm going to use yet but I'm going with bright orange, yellow and black for the Mercs. Still deciding which Clan to go with.

Register