Author Topic: MW: AoD like Alpha Strike?  (Read 2575 times)

Hammerhead

• Master Sergeant
  • "ZEUS - Premier Lyran Recon since 2787."
MW: AoD like Alpha Strike?
« on: 16 October 2022, 11:46:18 »
Hey, everybody. I’ve had a moderately sized collection of MW figures in a dusty toolbox for a number of years now, until my kids found them and wanted to try it.

So, I’ve recently been teaching my two kids how to play Battletech and MW: Age of Destruction, and we’re having a blast with it so far. They’re a bit on the fence about which they like better; MW has the cool terrain and bigger, toy-esque Minis, but Battletech has the detail my eldest likes.

I’m actually pretty impressed with the MW:AoD rules, and was wondering how gameplay generally compares to Alpha Strike. The speed of play is a big plus with MW; my Eldest is 11 and generally has a good attention span, but it’s still an 11 year old attention span…😂.

I have never played Alpha Strike, for reference, and my local shop doesn’t have the rule book.

How does it all compare?

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: MW: AoD like Alpha Strike?
« Reply #1 on: 16 October 2022, 12:02:25 »
The downloads section has a free quick-start PDF for Alpha Strike.
https://bg.battletech.com/wp-content/uploads/Alpha%20Strike%20Quick%20Start%20Rules%202019-08.pdf

I barely play MW:AoD, but in very general terms the speed of play is very similar, and the general "scale" (one attack per unit, one "hit point" value, etc).
Alpha Strike does not have click dial and effects on every damage.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Hammerhead

• Master Sergeant
  • "ZEUS - Premier Lyran Recon since 2787."
« Reply #2 on: 16 October 2022, 13:23:23 »
The downloads section has a free quick-start PDF for Alpha Strike.
https://bg.battletech.com/wp-content/uploads/Alpha%20Strike%20Quick%20Start%20Rules%202019-08.pdf

I barely play MW:AoD, but in very general terms the speed of play is very similar, and the general "scale" (one attack per unit, one "hit point" value, etc).
Alpha Strike does not have click dial and effects on every damage.

Thanks for the link! I’m surprised I missed it…🥴

Spirit Cat Refugee

• Sergeant
  • Still alive
« Reply #3 on: 21 February 2023, 20:21:01 »
I will say this a huge fan of the clix game who is now learning Alpha Strike.

They both seem to play very similar. Alpha Strike in some ways seems almost simpler (Mostly because you are using mostly mechs, not a balanced force typically of infantry, vehicles, and mechs). I do like in Mechwarrior heat seems to be a bigger deal, in Alpha Strike it only seems to enter in the equation when you OV (overheat) to do extra damage. But I like in Alpha Strike the way that damage is done simultaneously and that you don't lose damage or abilities unless you take critical and severe damage. in Clix too many times if you got hit first your mech was just a hunk of wasted metal, even only a few clicks in. More stable dials would have solved that issue.
Clan Protectorate

Register