Author Topic: Campaign Rules: Against the Bot Thread #4  (Read 219869 times)

pfarland

• Captain
  • Star Captain Farland - 'Forever Faithful'
Re: Campaign Rules: Against the Bot Thread #4
« Reply #60 on: 09 May 2015, 23:07:01 »
The Astechs (and medics) don't actually DO anything roll wise.  They help out the regular Techs, they are the ones doing the rolls.  So, hire them in bulk.  Occationally as you play, you'll gain dependents, who then work as Astechs.  Those you keep, the rest are just Temp labour.
Rule number 4 of product design*: "The concept of 'Intended Use' never survives initial contact with the end user." - Feign

"It should come to no surprise that this forum loves solving problems with war crimes. " - SteelRaven

Jayof9s

• Captain
« Reply #61 on: 10 May 2015, 08:54:19 »
ok question is it better to hire astechs in bulk or as individuals?
i mean over all quality of their work not money you pay for them

There is literally no difference. Astechs support your tech. There's an astech skill but it does not progress, so in game terms, all astechs are the exact same. For pay as well (you can modify their pay by assigning them different ranks or if they have other skills / professions)

neoancient

• Warrant Officer
  • MegaMek team member
« Reply #62 on: 10 May 2015, 21:01:53 »
I noticed that MekHQ is not doing the contract generation exactly right, as in faction capitals it should generate, at a minimum, 1 contract with the faction as the employer, even if the normal roll for contract results in 0 contracts... both in Atreus and Tharkad (did not test other capitals), sometimes i get no contracts... when that happens i generate contracts until one with the faction as employer shows up...
I just fixed that for the next release, but Tharkad presents a bit of a problem. The code determines whether you're in a faction's capital by checking whether you're on the starting planet for the faction that controls the world you're on. During the FedCom era (3040-3057), Tharkad is considered to be part of the Federated Commonwealth, which has New Avalon as its starting planet. As far as I know that's the only situation where a faction has two capitals, but it's significant enough that I probably need to figure out how to accommodate it.

Southernskies

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #63 on: 11 May 2015, 08:16:06 »
IF (Home Planet) = Tharkad THEN roll FEDCOM.
IF (Home Planet) = New Avalon THEN roll FEDCOM.

Just direct the contract script to the same place for the period?

ralgith

• Captain
    • Dylan's BattleTech Emporium
« Reply #64 on: 11 May 2015, 08:45:15 »
IF (Home Planet) = Tharkad THEN roll FEDCOM.
IF (Home Planet) = New Avalon THEN roll FEDCOM.

Just direct the contract script to the same place for the period?

For his issue it would be more like this:
if (HiringFaction.StartingPlanet == New Avalon && Location == Tharkad) {
// use FedCom tables
}

neoancient

• Warrant Officer
  • MegaMek team member
« Reply #65 on: 11 May 2015, 09:33:00 »
I can think of all sorts of ways to do it and have it work. Not all of them are good practice.

ralgith

• Captain
    • Dylan's BattleTech Emporium
« Reply #66 on: 11 May 2015, 14:34:46 »
I can think of all sorts of ways to do it and have it work. Not all of them are good practice.

Agreed. Something that would be good would be to have all capitals actually flagged as such, so you're not basing it on starting planet.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #67 on: 12 May 2015, 13:35:06 »
question about ECM
does the unit mounted with one automaticaly has it on or it has to be turned on?
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

pfarland

• Captain
  • Star Captain Farland - 'Forever Faithful'
« Reply #68 on: 12 May 2015, 16:36:50 »
Automatically, but if you want to shift into ECCM or Ghost Targets, you have to set that yourself.
Rule number 4 of product design*: "The concept of 'Intended Use' never survives initial contact with the end user." - Feign

"It should come to no surprise that this forum loves solving problems with war crimes. " - SteelRaven

JenniferinaMAD

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #69 on: 13 May 2015, 06:55:08 »
Hi, I've been playing around with the AtB rules a bit now and I have a question:

How does random capture of pilots work in conjunction with the game option that makes ejected pilots automatically flee?

I've switched on 'Vehicles can be abandoned', but I then found that the mini-platoons that jump out of them somehow end up getting hired by my unit after each battle (there are recruitment payments in the finance tab and they clutter up my roster, but aren't marked 'prisoner'). So I switched on 'Ejected pilots automatically flee' to prevent those mini platoons from getting spawned. Now I'm basically not ever getting prisoners, and no one gets added to my roster after a battle, but I'm still paying recruitment payments to all enemies after each battle where I get the salvage screen.

And a note that should be in the starting guide: Make sure to set your faction to 'Mercenary' when you start a campaign. I've found that if you set it to something else (I thought it didn't matter) and then take a contract from that faction, the liason/integrated/house units are never created. As soon as I fixed that, I started getting those lemmings in my missions.

scJazz

• Captain
« Reply #70 on: 13 May 2015, 20:26:11 »
Hi, I've been playing around with the AtB rules a bit now and I have a question:

How does random capture of pilots work in conjunction with the game option that makes ejected pilots automatically flee?

I've switched on 'Vehicles can be abandoned', but I then found that the mini-platoons that jump out of them somehow end up getting hired by my unit after each battle (there are recruitment payments in the finance tab and they clutter up my roster, but aren't marked 'prisoner'). So I switched on 'Ejected pilots automatically flee' to prevent those mini platoons from getting spawned. Now I'm basically not ever getting prisoners, and no one gets added to my roster after a battle, but I'm still paying recruitment payments to all enemies after each battle where I get the salvage screen.

And a note that should be in the starting guide: Make sure to set your faction to 'Mercenary' when you start a campaign. I've found that if you set it to something else (I thought it didn't matter) and then take a contract from that faction, the liason/integrated/house units are never created. As soon as I fixed that, I started getting those lemmings in my missions.

Ejected Pilots automatically flee is the correct option for AtB as Princess doesn't know how to hunt pilots down.

There is a bug in the current version that is preventing the Prisoner Code from working correctly. You will just have to work around it.

JenniferinaMAD

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #71 on: 13 May 2015, 20:34:11 »
Thanks for the reply :)

I had been getting some prisoners when I turned off 'pilots autoflee' and 'vehicles can be abandoned', but not since then, so I thought there might be something connected there.

Any idea what I broke that's causing me to pay hiring fees for all the enemy personnel after a battle?

I actually like that Princess doesn't hunt down pilots anymore. I always facepalmed when a bot assault mech unleashed everything into one unarmed pilot even when actually threatening targets with low numbers to hit were around.

scJazz

• Captain
« Reply #72 on: 13 May 2015, 20:52:20 »
Thanks for the reply :)

I had been getting some prisoners when I turned off 'pilots autoflee' and 'vehicles can be abandoned', but not since then, so I thought there might be something connected there.

Any idea what I broke that's causing me to pay hiring fees for all the enemy personnel after a battle?

I actually like that Princess doesn't hunt down pilots anymore. I always facepalmed when a bot assault mech unleashed everything into one unarmed pilot even when actually threatening targets with low numbers to hit were around.

Pilots should autoflee
Vees should abandon

the recruitment part is a bug

You will have to manually fudge Prisoners in the Resolution Windows. Killed pilots will still show up as Salvage, just ignore them.

Otherwise just use the 2.31 AtB Rules for determining who is a prisoner (many 1d6 rolls). Or use your own House Rules. If you mark your prisoners in the Resolution Window they will behave correctly for Finances, etc.

If anything looks stupid just delete the Finance Transaction :)

JenniferinaMAD

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #73 on: 14 May 2015, 03:28:51 »
Cool, thanks :)

I'd do the transaction deletion if the program would let me do more than one at a time...ah well.

SenorPez

• Recruit
« Reply #74 on: 01 June 2015, 21:30:00 »
A few questions; I can't seem to find the answers to and they're driving me nuts!

On my first contract, I had Transport Terms of 35%, which was added into the contract amount. But my transit was free. How do I get MekHQ to actually charge me for my transit costs? Do I have to use the Unit Market to buy a Jump/DropShip?

Second, MegaMek crashed in the middle of a battle; how do I go about safely resuming it? Or do I have the start the battle over?

Thanks!

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #75 on: 01 June 2015, 21:47:10 »
Second, MegaMek crashed in the middle of a battle; how do I go about safely resuming it? Or do I have the start the battle over?

Few things on this guy.  What version are you using?  What was happening when the crash happened?  In the logs folder will be a mekhqlog.txt file.  If you post that here it can help us trouble shoot things.

Also welcome to the forums.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

Jayof9s

• Captain
« Reply #76 on: 01 June 2015, 21:48:17 »
A few questions; I can't seem to find the answers to and they're driving me nuts!

On my first contract, I had Transport Terms of 35%, which was added into the contract amount. But my transit was free. How do I get MekHQ to actually charge me for my transit costs? Do I have to use the Unit Market to buy a Jump/DropShip?

Thanks!

One of the MekHQ options is to pay for travel expenses, make sure it's on.

If you have a save prior to the crash, from MHQ you can load your save and launch roughly the normal way. Otherwise, you'll need to restart.

SenorPez

• Recruit
« Reply #77 on: 01 June 2015, 23:25:19 »
So apparently if you mothball your units, they get transported for free? Is that right?

If so, why wouldn't you always mothball them, at least once they're in good repair, and pocket your employer's transport cash? What am I missing?

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #78 on: 02 June 2015, 02:15:55 »
Even if you mothball them you still have to have the cargo space for them. The only freebie is no maintenance payments.

Makinus

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #79 on: 02 June 2015, 06:34:33 »
Also, what if we added a rule for a delay in unmothballing? Is there anything on the canon rules for this? I thought about a delay for the unmothballing of 1 week for each weight level, so an Assault mech would take 4 weeks to unmothball, while a Light would take a single week. Maybe with additional time for IS Level 2 and Clan Units?
Against-the-Bot Campaign Rules:
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/megamek-games/campaign-rules-against-the-bot-thread-4/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Fireangel: hey, it's BT; nothing happens without a sinister reason or a healthy dose of stupid pills

consequences: nothing explains Fasanomics. Any attempt to do so generally results in the bandaid on the sucking chest wound turning out to be a carnivorous lifeform that only makes the bleeding worse.

SenorPez

• Recruit
« Reply #80 on: 02 June 2015, 09:54:59 »
Okay, so maybe I need to back up a step. Because I have no transport capability, but was able to move to my contract destination, so I'm clearly missing something.

As a fresh, brand-new mercenary company, after I get my initial warriors, techs, and meks, what are the steps I take to get my company to the target planet. Looking at my file, I have no transport capability. Do I have to sit there and hope for a JumpShip roll to succeed before I can go out?

SenorPez

• Recruit
« Reply #81 on: 02 June 2015, 11:33:14 »
Few things on this guy.  What version are you using?  What was happening when the crash happened?  In the logs folder will be a mekhqlog.txt file.  If you post that here it can help us trouble shoot things.

Also welcome to the forums.

I was using MHQ 0.3.12, MM 0.41.2

Looking at things, it was a memory setting. I'd accidentally set my memory too low, which caused Princess to hang when attempting to deploy her barrel full of reinforcements. Since I was mostly withdrawn at that point (Recon Raid mission which had already been successful) as I didn't have a chance of holding the field for salvage, I just "/victoryed" out of another reload. But I'd hate to have it happen in the middle of something NOT quite resolved!

scJazz

• Captain
« Reply #82 on: 02 June 2015, 12:00:15 »
Also, what if we added a rule for a delay in unmothballing? Is there anything on the canon rules for this? I thought about a delay for the unmothballing of 1 week for each weight level, so an Assault mech would take 4 weeks to unmothball, while a Light would take a single week. Maybe with additional time for IS Level 2 and Clan Units?

Quoting from SO pg 166
Unless agreed otherwise (or dictated by the conditions of a specific
scenario), players have eight hours between each scenario
during which they can carry out maintenance and repairs. If players
are tracking time across days, weeks, months and so on, then
each day provides eight hours of productive work. This is referred
to as the Maintenance/Repair Cycle.

Later in the rules it states 2 maintenance cycles are required to mothball and 1 to unmothball a Mech, etc. Large vessels have different rules.
« Last Edit: 02 June 2015, 12:02:03 by scJazz »

Sylterix

• Private
« Reply #83 on: 02 June 2015, 12:18:39 »
Okay, so maybe I need to back up a step. Because I have no transport capability, but was able to move to my contract destination, so I'm clearly missing something.

As a fresh, brand-new mercenary company, after I get my initial warriors, techs, and meks, what are the steps I take to get my company to the target planet. Looking at my file, I have no transport capability. Do I have to sit there and hope for a JumpShip roll to succeed before I can go out?

I recommend just skipping the need for dropships/jumpships. Just travel to the destination and blow things up. :) I simply assume that on a Hiring Hall and capital there are many opportunites to hire a dropship/jumpship short term. It may not be canon, but it works for me.

Otherwise you simply have to wait, spending 100k a week til you run out of cash.

scJazz

• Captain
« Reply #84 on: 02 June 2015, 13:08:55 »

Otherwise you simply have to wait, spending 100k a week til you run out of cash.

This part is so wrong.

Once you have everyone organized in the ToE and then get a contract. Go to Interstellar Map, Find your destination, click on it and choose Calculate Jump Path, then click Begin Transit... it is assumed that you have hired enough transport to move your force and the fee for that transport is calculated automatically. After that just start clicking Advance Day until you arrive on the Target Planet. Once you are there and the Contract start date passes you will start finding missions in the Briefing Room.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #85 on: 03 June 2015, 00:28:37 »
Yeah it is assumed you have the transport capacity but HQ does not track this and as the options states, the cost for hiring said transport is a total hack. So, best thing to do if you want to hire the transport is look up the costs for all the transport you need and just go to the finances tab and each month deduct it from your funds.

Until such time as ralgith has time for it or someone makes a patch for it you have to figures these things out manually.

Snimm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #86 on: 05 June 2015, 15:00:37 »
Or take a contract that pays 100% of transport costs so it's all a wash?  Of course, you don't always have that option...
Need help getting started with Against the Bot in MekHQ?  Click here to get yourself up and running!

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=41494.msg957784#msg957784

SenorPez

• Recruit
« Reply #87 on: 09 June 2015, 14:03:12 »
What's the "generally accepted" way to setup and change lances? From the AtB rules, I gather that at the start of each week you:
  • Give XP to eligible pilots in Training lances.
  • Assign pilots to lances.
  • Assign lances to activities (Fight, Scout, Defend, Training).
  • Roll for battles.

As there's no way to stop MekHQ after Step 1 to reassign pilots, do you just change your lances on Mondays and fix the XP (as neccessary) it grants to Training Lances? Is that just the nature of the beast?

JenniferinaMAD

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #88 on: 09 June 2015, 18:24:29 »
I suggest training lances should yield their XP on sundays, if that's possible to implement? That would allow you to then un/reassign them in time for the coming week if you want to, without any manual fiddling. There is a chance that means they get their XP before their battle for the week (if it's on sunday), but I think that's acceptable if it makes the game less fiddly overall. They did train 6 of the 7 days at that point already, after all.

Makinus

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #89 on: 15 June 2015, 06:15:44 »
What's the "generally accepted" way to setup and change lances? From the AtB rules, I gather that at the start of each week you:
  • Give XP to eligible pilots in Training lances.
  • Assign pilots to lances.
  • Assign lances to activities (Fight, Scout, Defend, Training).
  • Roll for battles.

As there's no way to stop MekHQ after Step 1 to reassign pilots, do you just change your lances on Mondays and fix the XP (as neccessary) it grants to Training Lances? Is that just the nature of the beast?

I normally do everything on Sundays after any battles. Note that MekHQ now automates the majority of this.
Against-the-Bot Campaign Rules:
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/megamek-games/campaign-rules-against-the-bot-thread-4/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Fireangel: hey, it's BT; nothing happens without a sinister reason or a healthy dose of stupid pills

consequences: nothing explains Fasanomics. Any attempt to do so generally results in the bandaid on the sucking chest wound turning out to be a carnivorous lifeform that only makes the bleeding worse.

Register