Author Topic: Guitar Ratings  (Read 3347 times)

GreyWolfActual

• CDT Global Events Developer
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
Guitar Ratings
« on: 14 March 2011, 23:08:41 »
Hi all.  There's a skill for songwriting, but no equipment for such a skill.  What would you all suggest as equipment ratings and notes for a guitar in ATOW?
"My name is Saul Tigh. I'm an officer in the Colonial Fleet. Whatever else I am, whatever else it means, that's the man I want to be. And if I die today, that's the man I'll be."
-Saul Tigh

Jackmc

• Captain
    • How I pay the bills
Re: Guitar Ratings
« Reply #1 on: 14 March 2011, 23:56:27 »
A/A/A as it's a pre-industrial age instrument that's incredibly common and legal in areas where even clubs/cudgels are illegal.

And equipment notes?  Seriosuly?   You're class isn't Bard.  It's just a musical instrument, no different than a bazillion others in the world.

There coems a point where you have to put down the book and jsut use a little common sense.

-Jackmc

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 15 March 2011, 04:29:21 »
I recall this discussion with a guy from my RPG group. Why is personal combat usually seen as a defining module of any RPG rule system while equally difficult arts like cooking or making music are painted with a very broad brush? How come there is a gazillion combat skills and different rules for different pistol calibers, but only one "play instrument" skill that doens't even differentiate between a harp and a trumpet? Why does "role playing" always amount to hacking NPCs up in creative ways?
Questions questions questions  :D

Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 15 March 2011, 05:07:13 »
Because people generally role play to step outside themselves for a time and pretend to do something they can't normally do.
Why role play something I can easily do at home?

Nargrakhan

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 15 March 2011, 09:14:37 »
I recall this discussion with a guy from my RPG group. Why is personal combat usually seen as a defining module of any RPG rule system while equally difficult arts like cooking or making music are painted with a very broad brush?

There's no rules for using a toilet either, despite it being one of the most repeated and vital functions of a person's life. :P

To be honest though, I think it's because the of the game systems you're playing and/or the types of campaigns you're in.

I've played sessions of Legend of the Five Rings, without a single weapon being touched... and it has rules for telling poetry, drinking tea, and holding negotiations. There's some World of Darkness sittings I've sat through, which also have gone from start to finish without a fight occuring. Shadowrun is also a game system - though with an elaborate combat system - can be played without actually getting into combat... indeed that would even be seen as the "perfect run" by some people.

GreyWolfActual

• CDT Global Events Developer
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 15 March 2011, 19:19:22 »
And equipment notes?  Seriosuly?   You're class isn't Bard.
In all fairness, I was considering that exact term when creating the character.  Though I did end up going for less of the streetgang-travelling-bard, for the military scientist with a serious music hobby.
"My name is Saul Tigh. I'm an officer in the Colonial Fleet. Whatever else I am, whatever else it means, that's the man I want to be. And if I die today, that's the man I'll be."
-Saul Tigh

Tempus

• Sergeant
  • Gizzled vet and 2D10 Heretic
« Reply #6 on: 15 March 2011, 20:24:53 »
A/A/A as it's a pre-industrial age instrument that's incredibly common and legal in areas where even clubs/cudgels are illegal.

And equipment notes?  Seriosuly?   You're class isn't Bard.  It's just a musical instrument, no different than a bazillion others in the world.

There coems a point where you have to put down the book and jsut use a little common sense.

-Jackmc

That's of course for a basic mass produced, buy it for your 12 year old to learn on guitar.   from there you just have slightly higher  quality, rarity and escalating price.  Until you get up into things like collector item 20th century Terran 'gibson'  and such   (and countless easier to find and far cheaper fakes of those). 

If you really need a description with more detail for some reason, hit up an online music store and crib your own based on what they have.

Skillwise..  I'd call the songwriting either an interest or an art, and the playing an art, by instrument type, and knowing how to read music and music theory and such an interest skill.   

like the man says, use common sense

C4 trumps 4 Aces

Ice_Trey

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 16 March 2011, 01:24:42 »
When in doubt, just look at prices of modern day versions.

In oldschool battletech, every five US dollars (1990) was worth a C-bill

In more modern Battletech, a C-bill was worth something like 3 US Dollars (1999)

I haven't checked what it comes to in aToW, as my players haven't looked for anything that isn't already in the listed equipment section. Otherwise, ballparking based on the stuff already in there, (Especially costs for meals) works.

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 16 March 2011, 10:28:26 »
In all fairness, I was considering that exact term when creating the character.  Though I did end up going for less of the streetgang-travelling-bard, for the military scientist with a serious music hobby.

???

Paul
The solution is just ignore Paul.

Matt.C

• Corporal
  • Davion '25
« Reply #9 on: 17 March 2011, 06:39:10 »
Buckaroo Banzai already IS in the universe, so this isn't too far fetched.
“You know, Todd, when we're alone, and I'm talking out loud... It's kinda for YOUR benefit. I already know the stuff I'm saying.”
-Charlie Davies; Outsourced S01E12 - Sari, Charlie

Halo_One

• Recruit
  • How did you get a 13 on 2d6?!
« Reply #10 on: 18 March 2011, 13:25:25 »
Buckaroo Banzai already IS in the universe, so this isn't too far fetched.
Do brain surgery in the morning, fight off a Liao raid after lunch, and then do a show with your band at night. Sounds like my kind of game. [rockon]
"The two most abundant things in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity."

Yea verily, though I charge through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am driving a house-sized mass of "f**k you."

Jackmc

• Captain
    • How I pay the bills
« Reply #11 on: 18 March 2011, 20:42:00 »
I recall this discussion with a guy from my RPG group. Why is personal combat usually seen as a defining module of any RPG rule system while equally difficult arts like cooking or making music are painted with a very broad brush?

Is it any different in ATOW?  There's say Melee Weaps/Swords and Art/Music/Guitar both of which are mandatory specializations of a general class skill.

-Jackmc