Author Topic: Ghost Bear Phalanxes  (Read 274 times)

PartTimeHussar

• Recruit
Ghost Bear Phalanxes
« on: 11 April 2024, 23:16:33 »
Ok - small question but it’s been bothering me. I get the Prov Garrison Clusters Guard Clusters, Regular clusters and all the Ras units that got converted. What I don’t get is the phalanxes. Maybe I’m missing something but they do have mechs, so are they just another label for regular. Or are they extra freemen due to the formation of the Dominion.

Please help this confused cub

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
Re: Ghost Bear Phalanxes
« Reply #1 on: 11 April 2024, 23:22:43 »
Field Manual Warden Clans describe Phalanx Clusters thus: These second-line units are organized and trained specifically for defensive duty, and always contain a contingent of conventional vehicles in addition to infantry and battlemechs.

So back in the day they were unique because they had vehicles. Of course, in the modern day where vehicles are more common, they seem to have ceased to be unique.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 12 April 2024, 00:09:27 »
From the new Battle of Tukayyid book.

PHALANX STAR
Requirements: The Phalanx Star must consist of at least two combat vehicles or BattleMechs, with the remainder of the Star comprised of Elementals, more combat vehicles or more BattleMechs . There must be at least two different unit types (BattleMech, combat vehicle, battle armor) in a Phalanx Star . A Clan Steel Viper Phalanx Star may include conventional infantry in place of battle armor .

Like Liam said, by the ilClan era they aren’t much different than other second line/garrison formations. Some, like the 10th Phalanx Cluster were all vehicles. Most were a mix.

NCKestrel’s new favorite.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #3 on: 12 April 2024, 00:44:25 »
So, going by the Tuk book, it's really a Mixed Star of Infantry and Vehicle/Mech.

Since the Vipers are the only clan to use classic Infantry, does this mean that All Clans used this pre-Tuk? And later, it became normal to do this openly? Since by this time it was shown only Elementals in BA as the Infantry of choice.

Hence the Nova...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 12 April 2024, 05:32:06 »
When we were really introduced to the Phalanx Clusters in FM: Warden Clans, what stuck out to me wasn't just that they had vehicles. It was that the vehicles were a pretty dominant force in the Cluster.

The 5th Phalanx had a lot of Asshur artillery spotters and some Hueys, and was known for its artillery barrages.

The 13th Phalanx was led by a veteran VTOL pilot and contained a full trinary of Donars, nearly all the Donars in the entire Clan. This gave the cluster impressive close-air support.

The 10th Phalanx was an unmixed all vehicle Cluster, led by the only tanker Galaxy Commander in the Clan. The unit was known for having a pretty capable officer corps.

So if there is any lingering differential between Phalanx Clusters and the other types, I wonder if it might be how central the vehicles are to the unit. It's more than "they have a single trinary of vehicles" in the Cluster where 'mechs/BA/ASFs are still the preference whenever possible. I think that might be the case in many other second-line/PGC type clusters. By comparison in the Phalanx Clusters, the vehicles are at the heart of the Cluster. They deploy a lot of them. The Cluster's preferred tactics are shaped by them to a greater extent than some other Cluster. The unit's traditions are rooted in being a vehicle-centric Cluster.
« Last Edit: 12 April 2024, 05:36:27 by Alan Grant »

PartTimeHussar

• Recruit
« Reply #5 on: 12 April 2024, 06:28:41 »
Thank you for the quick, complete responses. My library is spartan doe Battletech so my efforts were restrained to sarna. 

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 12 April 2024, 11:55:44 »
So, going by the Tuk book, it's really a Mixed Star of Infantry and Vehicle/Mech.

Since the Vipers are the only clan to use classic Infantry, does this mean that All Clans used this pre-Tuk? And later, it became normal to do this openly? Since by this time it was shown only Elementals in BA as the Infantry of choice.

Hence the Nova...

TT

In the new BoT book it lists all 7  clans and gives fun fluffy names for each formation they use. Like Jade Falcon calls their assault stars Talon Stars. In those lists only Diamond Shark, Ghost Bear and Steel Vipers have phalanx stars listed. 

It’s page 27 on my pdf if you want to follow along.
« Last Edit: 12 April 2024, 11:58:02 by Kerfuffin(925) »
NCKestrel’s new favorite.