Author Topic: A man out of time, and almost out of time. SI/OC  (Read 7893 times)

David CGB

• Lieutenant
Re: A man out of time, and almost out of time. SI/OC
« Reply #30 on: 19 March 2024, 23:44:59 »
I've read all your BT stories this is your best work.
Amazing to see how someone with limited intelligence training can outfox wolfnet. :smilie_party_cheers:
It would not be that hard to do…..
Federated Suns fan forever, Ghost Bear Fan since 1992, and as a Ghost Bear David Bekker star captain (in an Alt TL Loremaster)

thtadthtshldntb

• Sergeant
« Reply #31 on: 20 March 2024, 15:05:50 »
yeah the canon literature sure threw the Dragoons under the bus in terms of competency. They never explained in any of the novels or supplements that I read how Jaime Wolf and the Dragoons actions over those 20 or 25 years squared with his actual orders from the Ilkhan

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #32 on: 23 March 2024, 00:25:05 »
yeah the canon literature sure threw the Dragoons under the bus in terms of competency. They never explained in any of the novels or supplements that I read how Jaime Wolf and the Dragoons actions over those 20 or 25 years squared with his actual orders from the Ilkhan

I figured Jaime interpreted his orders where he needed to make his own Dragoon Clan, with combat vs Successor states serving as trials to find only the best Warriors.  Lose over 50% of your Warriors while in service to the Combine?  That obviously means the remaining troops are your best troops because they survived.

He was also adopting orphans into the Dragoons, where he would set up his own sibkos.

Jaime was trying to fight the Clans as a Clan, rather than using the Inner Sphere's industrial and manpower advantages.

thtadthtshldntb

• Sergeant
« Reply #33 on: 23 March 2024, 11:13:50 »
years ago when the Clans were first introduced (a lot of us thought it was Battletechs way of introduced inhuman opponents without using aliens or androids) I recall the whole debate about the Clans superiority vs the Inner Sphere.

IIRC, when they first came back by design the only advantages the Inner Sphere had was population and the fact that the Clans did not want to wipe the humans out and just conquer the space. Then IIRC later novels seemed to nerf the Clans industrial capacity, which as I recall the debates made no sense as they had several centuries with more advanced tech to populate hundreds of planets.

To me it seemed like the initial idea of what the Clans were intended to be got morphed to an analogy more comparable to the differences between the Allies and the Axis in terms of technical and industrial capacity at the start of the war.

Personally, I always thought introducing a technology run amok enemy like the Invid inorganics (not the Invid themselves) or the Mechanoids would make for an interesting opponent in the setting rather than the Clans.

Anyway, thats all in the past.

Dreadpool

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #34 on: 23 March 2024, 13:09:17 »
An American tanker from Fort Hood?

Seems like I've heard that plotline before.... :cool:

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: 23 March 2024, 16:22:26 »
well i was part of 2nd tank in Korea and a spent alot of time at Fort Hood.   :evil:

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #36 on: 23 March 2024, 17:02:45 »
well i was part of 2nd tank in Korea and a spent alot of time at Fort Hood.   :evil:

Yup, you get stuck on the Korea/Hood rotation... 4 times to Korea, 3 times to Hood.
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

EAGLE 7

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #37 on: 23 March 2024, 18:56:30 »
“well i was part of 2nd tank in Korea and a spent alot of time at Fort Hood. “

You have my condolences 😜
“ My Clan honor is bigger than your Dragon honor, and comes in 18 clan flavors.”

Dreadpool

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #38 on: 25 March 2024, 13:26:40 »
Yup, you get stuck on the Korea/Hood rotation... 4 times to Korea, 3 times to Hood.
When I was in Korea 1986-1987, I was stationed with B Co, 2d Engr Bn at Camp Castle; my unit had some dealings with 2nd Tank and we all thought very highly of them

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #39 on: 25 March 2024, 17:01:11 »
My wife was in Korea just before that...

Register