Author Topic: Some questions about buildings.  (Read 870 times)

Darth_Biagio

• Corporal
Some questions about buildings.
« on: 03 July 2016, 13:02:22 »
I'd like to include buildings in my games and, after reading the related chapter, I have a few questions.
I'm sorry if some of the answers are maybe obvious, but I'd like to have a step-by-step approach.
All examples assumes a Heavy Building with a CF of 70.

----------

Let's say I have: 'Mech A, not in a building hex; 'Mech B in a building hex and at rage 2 from 'Mech A. The intervening hex is not a building hex.

If 'Mech A tried a LRM20 attack and missed, is it correct to say that no damage would be done to both 'Mech B and the building hex, because "All missed shots aimed at a target inside a building hex do not damage the building hex" {Attacking Units Inside Buildings, TW p.171}?

If 'Mech A tried a LRM20 attack and hit (with 12 missiles on target), is it correct to say that 5 damage points would go to 'Mech B and only 7 damage points would go to the building hex, because "any damage that does not strike the target as indicated by a roll on the Cluster Hits Table also does not damage the building hex" {Attacking Units Inside Buildings, TW p.171}?

----------

Now, let's say I have: 'Mech A, not in a building hex; 'Mech B in a building hex but, this time, adjacent to 'Mech A.

If 'Mech A tried a LRM20 attack and missed, is it correct to say that still no damage would be done to both 'Mech B and the building hex, again because "All missed shots aimed at a target inside a building hex do not damage the building hex" {Attacking Units Inside Buildings, TW p.171} and because I'm not aiming at the building hex, but at the unit inside (in fact 'Mech A doesn't get the -4 to-hit modifier and only "attacks targeted at a building hex from adjacent hexes always hit" {Attacking Buildings, TW p.171})?

On the other hand, if 'Mech A tried a LRM20 attack and hit (with 12 missiles on target), is it correct to say that 5 damage points would go to 'Mech B, but all the remaining 15 damage points would go to the building hex, because "any damage that does not strike the target as indicated by a roll on the Cluster Hits Table also does not damage the building hex (unless the attacker is adjacent, in which case all missed shots automatically strike the building hex)" {Attacking Units Inside Buildings, TW p.171}?

To Simplify the last two questions: does the sentence "unless the attacker..." specifically refer to cluster weapons or to all kind of weapon attacks?
As it is written, the answer seems to be "only to cluster weapons".

----------

Let's say I now have two 'Mechs, this time both inside the same building: 'Mech A at Level 0; 'Mech B at Level 2 and at range 2 from 'Mech A.

Is it correct to say that 'Mech A can attack 'Mech B with a +3 to-hit modifier (+1 for the 'Mech B building hex, +1 for one intervening building hex (the one a range 1) and +1 for one intervening building level (the building Level 1))? {Combat Within Buildings, TW p.175}
The example on page 176 of TW doesn't seem consistent in how to calculate the modifiers.

If 'Mech A tried a PPC attack and hit, is it correct to say that all 10 damage points would go to 'Mech B and no damage points would go to the building hex, because "when units [...] inside a building hex [...] fire at each other, use the standard to-hit procedures" and not the rules on page 171 {Combat Within Building, TW p.175}?
That would be consistent with Infantry units getting 100% damage, when hit from units inside the same Light or Medium building, and normally suffering from burst fire weapons {Burst Fire Weapons and Conventional Infantry, TW p.175 + Errata 4.2 p.33}, something that does not happens when fired from outside the building {Burst-Fire Weapons, TW p.172 + no Errata for it}.
In essence, fightings inside buildings are the same as fightings inside woods (except for Infantry, that still have some degree of advantage).

If the target of 'Mech A were a Conventional Infantry unit and the 'Mech attacked (and hit) with a Flamer (rolling a total damage of 18), is it correct to say that the Infantry unit would take 5 damage points (18, /2 because "When burst-fire weapons are used against conventional infantry in a building hex, assign damage per the Burst-Fire Weapon Damage Vs. Conventional Infantry Table (p.217), reduce the damage by half" and /2 again because the unit is inside an Heavy building), while the building itself would take only 1 point of damage (2 for the standard Damage Value of Flamers ("Damage assigned to the building is per the weapon's non-burst-fire damage"), /2 because the unit is inside an Heavy building)?
{Burst Fire Weapons and Conventional Infantry, TW p.175 + Errata 4.2 p.33}

If 'Mech A hex were instead not a building hex, is it correct to say that it would not be able to attack 'Mech B at all, sine the building hex at range 1 would block its LOS?
What confuses me is that buildings are said to both work like woods {Attacking Units Inside Buildings, TW p.171}, and to block LOS {Effects of Intervening Terrain, TW p.100}.

----------

Any help would be really appreciated.