Author Topic: The *literally* Never-Seen  (Read 160661 times)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Re: The *literally* Never-Seen
« Reply #720 on: 27 March 2020, 22:11:34 »
Was the Grand Crusader II OmniMech mentioned yet. Development was abandoned for the Celestial Series OmniMechs
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

RanFelsnerAFFS

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #721 on: 28 March 2020, 01:56:17 »
Quote from: Cache
Not [i
the [/i]Corsair... a Corsair. Meaning, a "generic Periphery term referring to heavy and assault class FrankenMechs."

Well...No, thats not what ist stated

95-ton FrankenMech "Redemption", arguably a Corsair but not explicitly named as such

And I never heard of such a specific "periphery term". Source?

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #722 on: 28 March 2020, 08:24:28 »
Sarna notes that Redemption and Malice also mentions another 'Mech, the Slither.

Any details given?

Was the Grand Crusader II OmniMech mentioned yet. Development was abandoned for the Celestial Series OmniMechs

It will be now!
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

RanFelsnerAFFS

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #723 on: 28 March 2020, 13:21:59 »
Any details given?

Book only says

"One was the upper torso of a Vulcan and the legs of a Rim Worlds Slither"

No further Info.

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #724 on: 30 March 2020, 08:10:37 »
And I never heard of such a specific "periphery term". Source?

The Corsair fluff from MWO:  https://mwomercs.com/news/2018/11/2179-corsair-lore

While the Inner Sphere settled into a culture of salvage and refurbishment, those dregs of humanity—devolving into pirate kingdoms and dictatorships—were forced even further into desperation. Out there, BattleMechs were not simply field-repaired. They were all too often mash-ups, with whole parts, including skeletons, grafted on in an effort to field equipment that can still fight. The heavier such “FrankenMechs” are often also referred to as “Corsairs”, though no exact weight or chassis applies. Instead, Corsairs are these desperate chop-shop heavy and assault BattleMechs forged from parts from a variety of different ’Mechs, whatever can be found on forgotten battlefields.
« Last Edit: 30 March 2020, 08:12:16 by BATTLEMASTER »
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #725 on: 30 March 2020, 08:35:35 »
Any MWO source isnt canon unless CGL puts it out.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #726 on: 30 March 2020, 10:09:05 »
CGL already said they won't out of legal caution. Same reason why they won't touch fan designs. Only reason we more recently got a few MW4 looking mech is because MW4 became abandon-were.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #727 on: 30 March 2020, 10:12:24 »
CGL already said they won't out of legal caution. Same reason why they won't touch fan designs. Only reason we more recently got a few MW4 looking mech is because MW4 became abandon-were.
MW4 is not abandonware. (Besides, that isn't really a legal concept.)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #728 on: 30 March 2020, 10:38:41 »

. . . the artist for MW4 designs, David White, has worked for CGL?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #729 on: 30 March 2020, 11:05:46 »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #730 on: 30 March 2020, 11:25:32 »
Which is why I said that- he also worked on MWDA mechs IIRC, which is why we had a Black Knight that looked pretty close- same for the Thor II/Grand Summoner.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #731 on: 30 March 2020, 11:45:09 »
And the Arctic Wolf II
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #732 on: 30 March 2020, 11:52:23 »
Which is why I said that- he also worked on MWDA mechs IIRC, which is why we had a Black Knight that looked pretty close- same for the Thor II/Grand Summoner.

That was another artist, Brent Evans who also worked on TRO 3075. While David White's work on MW4 influenced the look of many MWDA mechs like the Thor, Mad Dog and Black Knight, I have yet to see anything credited to David White directly outside of later TROs post WK reintroducing those mechs.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #733 on: 30 March 2020, 11:55:47 »
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Category:Works_by_David_White

I felt like he did a brilliant job for TRO:3145 Federated Suns.

His Gunsmith, Vulpes, Black Knight, and Atlas III all really hit the mark for me.

I also liked the Zibler Strike tank and a few other of the vehicles as well.

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #734 on: 30 March 2020, 19:26:25 »
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Category:Works_by_David_White

OHHHH he's the one who made the Hoplite and Firefly look cool! (granted they're SLE/Clan versions, so they are cooler by default  ;) )
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #735 on: 30 March 2020, 20:09:28 »
OHHHH he's the one who made the Hoplite and Firefly look cool! (granted they're SLE/Clan versions, so they are cooler by default  ;) )
Those two really need minis based on White's work...

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #736 on: 30 March 2020, 20:11:27 »
I'm a bigger fan of David White's art than the MWO art, by a long shot.

The nuseen fit in the middle - more greeblie than White, but not as busy or as similar as MWO. If you have trouble telling the difference between a Firestarter, Enforcer, and Vindicator ...
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #737 on: 01 April 2020, 03:08:13 »
Add in a unknown Nova config from the Luthien scenario book pg 43, bottom right.  A DC Slayer is donating a lot of missiles to the poor Jaguar (Mech is named Luvbug? and has 'hate' spelled out on the fingers of the right hand?) who might be on fire from the attention.  The right shoulder has a 4 missile rack and the arm looks like it has the ERML set up of the Prime but I can only see 3 . . . this does not match ANY canon (or even really close) Nova configs.  At a guess . . . 4 ERML on each arm, SSRM4 on the RT, and add a DHS . . . but you cannot see the same position on the LT so it could be a SRM4 on each shoulder and split the ton of ammo.
Colt Ward

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #738 on: 01 April 2020, 07:50:11 »
Omni loadouts seem rather pedantic given the nature of them.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #739 on: 01 April 2020, 09:18:59 »
The Luthien book is also noted as one of the most error prone books of the FASA era due to the rush to get it published.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #740 on: 01 April 2020, 10:38:48 »
Not saying too much against that Kit, but its still a very different load for the Nova than we get- I like that sort of load out on the Pouncer, figure it would work well on a Nova since its more robust.

I agree SteelRaven, but its art with most the details right . . . not saying the elite Jag & Nova Cat clusters are 3/4 skills or forgetting Leo Showers was a Jaguar Khan at the time the invasion started.
Colt Ward

The_Livewire

• Warrant Officer
    • The Livewire's Battletech Blog
« Reply #741 on: 01 April 2020, 11:05:29 »
Those two really need minis based on White's work...
Something about the 3050 art for the Firefly calls to me more than the OK Firefly.  Though the Wolverine II is still my favourite.

And don't we now have a sheet for the missig Firefly variant?
Alamo - When you care enough to send the very best.

And Purifiers *still* suck.

Now doing battletech blogging
https://livewire2112.blogspot.com/search/label/Battletech

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #742 on: 01 April 2020, 12:24:59 »
Something about the 3050 art for the Firefly calls to me more than the OK Firefly.  Though the Wolverine II is still my favourite.

And don't we now have a sheet for the missig Firefly variant?
RSSW has the original Firefly (3-something) that was referred to in HOK.

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #743 on: 03 April 2020, 11:24:47 »
Add in a unknown Nova config from the Luthien scenario book pg 43, bottom right.  A DC Slayer is donating a lot of missiles to the poor Jaguar (Mech is named Luvbug? and has 'hate' spelled out on the fingers of the right hand?) who might be on fire from the attention.  The right shoulder has a 4 missile rack and the arm looks like it has the ERML set up of the Prime but I can only see 3 . . . this does not match ANY canon (or even really close) Nova configs.  At a guess . . . 4 ERML on each arm, SSRM4 on the RT, and add a DHS . . . but you cannot see the same position on the LT so it could be a SRM4 on each shoulder and split the ton of ammo.

I'll add it. Honestly; to make Omnis seem as unique as they should be; we need more rando-cardrissian comfigurations

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #744 on: 03 April 2020, 12:19:33 »
I still don't get why different Omni loadouts are considered notable here. The whole point of Omni pod space is that it can be whatever configuration you want, as long as it is within tonnage and crit space limits. Why not simply note to Omni space as such regardless of content?
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #745 on: 03 April 2020, 12:32:43 »
i can see the argument for loadouts that exist canonically (even if just in hints and glimpses) vs the infinite possibilities not published in an official source. headcanoning that John Doe runs his own Avatar config vs a novel saying that he definitely does mean two different things.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #746 on: 03 April 2020, 12:48:16 »
I still don't get why different Omni loadouts are considered notable here. The whole point of Omni pod space is that it can be whatever configuration you want, as long as it is within tonnage and crit space limits. Why not simply note to Omni space as such regardless of content?

You have missed the 'canon only' discussions and overboard official reactions to anything hinting at a mech or vehicle's loadout in a topic?

Its art, so its canon (as flimsy as art is) and one we lack a sheet for . . . as someone pointed out, being Omni only counts for meta/strategic game purposes- a RS from a Omni is no different than a standard mech.
Colt Ward

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #747 on: 23 April 2020, 11:23:06 »
Added the UL-14 Bulldozer: TRO:VA(R) p. 34

And Gulf Breeze "Capital Station" 930,000T; 5x Wheelers, from Touring the Stars: Gulf Breeze, P.12

A.E. Housman

assaultdoor

• Sergeant
« Reply #748 on: 03 May 2020, 10:28:11 »
I don't see the Hessen Heavy Tank here. The MUL says it is from the Age of War and appears in XTRO Primitives 3, but has no other data on it at all.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #749 on: 03 May 2020, 12:04:54 »
Avalonmax-class freighters noted (not seen/no states) in Touring the Stars: Rigil Kentarus.

Register