Author Topic: [Alpha Strike] Changing the Air Rules  (Read 2495 times)

Achtung Minen!

• Sergeant
[Alpha Strike] Changing the Air Rules
« on: 27 July 2015, 10:43:05 »
I've felt the air rules are a little wonkey for a while now. They require a second side map to figure out, which is just not ideal, and make aerospace with movement 9 or lower worth half their points, effectively (or maybe aerospace with 10+ movement is worth double their points, depending on how you look at it). I've been pondering the ramifications of the following house rules to tweak this situation:

1) The air board is thrown out. Instead, air power arrives like any normal reinforcements.

2) Every aerospace fighter can act every turn, regardless of movement.

3) Ground attack rules are unchanged (well, not entirely true... I convert them to hexes for our hex play).

4) Aerospace fighters can alternatively attempt to intercept one another (declared when a ground attack would normally be declared). If the aerospace fighter is faster than his target, then the attack is automatically made at medium range (or short range if twice as fast). If the target is faster, the attack is made at long range (or extended range, if target is twice as fast). This represents maneuverability as much as distance, as the fighters dogfight or evade.

Obviously, two fighters could intercept each other or the target might be intercepting a third aerospace fighter, although Clan zellbringen rules would apply for Clan pilots. A dogfight between a very slow fighter and a very fast fighter would have the slow fighter attacking at longer range and the fast fighter striking at shorter ranges. If a target is not counter-intercepting his persuer, then the attacker is considered to be attacking the rear (+1 damage). I am considering allowing a modifier to hit if a fighter intercepts a target who is currently involved in a ground strike.

Intercepting models are removed from the table for that turn as they fly far above the battlefield. Ground striking models are placed on the tabletop as per the normal rules, and may be targeted by 'Mechs and ground troops as usual.
« Last Edit: 28 July 2015, 11:24:09 by Achtung Minen! »

Achtung Minen!

• Sergeant
Re: Changing the Air Rules
« Reply #1 on: 27 July 2015, 10:53:57 »
Also, on an unrelated note, can anyone tell me what the TH means on the right hand corner of the armour and structure section of aerospace cards?

For example:

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 27 July 2015, 11:01:14 »
TH is Threshold.  p58 of the rulebook talks about them.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Achtung Minen!

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 28 July 2015, 11:23:50 »
I should clarify, my question in this thread is about Alpha Strike. Unfortunately, the post got moved here from the Alpha Strike forum so that is less clear now. Maybe there should be an Alpha Strike house rules sub-forum? I'll add Alpha Strike to the title for now and see if that helps.