Author Topic: Your Favorite Unresolved Mystery that is probably destined to stay that way  (Read 38292 times)

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
I can't take such teasing....

Then you'll have to become a PTB
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
I can't take such teasing....

The fun part is that all of the information is in the Jihad sourcebooks, it's just not tied together.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
The fun part is that all of the information is in the Jihad sourcebooks, it's just not tied together.

Just how much stuff there is in the books that people haven't yet really (publicly) figured out?

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
Just how much stuff there is in the books that people haven't yet really (publicly) figured out?

15-20%.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
OK, my next project. I'll grab a notebook and start reading through the Jihad books and write down everything interesting.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
 ;D No, I'm kidding. That is, of course, the Kit deSummersville Standard Answer. The only thing I can think of that is a mystery with an actual answer - as opposed to stuff that was left hanging for fans and/or future authors to hang stories off of - is Hilton Head.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Well, Hilton's Head is sufficient reason to go through the books...

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
This definitely has an answer, but it's not been published yet.
K-thulu
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
K-thulu

I can neither confirm nor deny the presence of degenerate Deep One colonies, and their obscene and inhuman deities Father Dagon and Mother Hydra, in or near the reputed Word of Blake compound formerly located at Hilton Head, North American Administrative Territory.
« Last Edit: 16 April 2017, 06:59:19 by ColBosch »

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
I can neither confirm nor deny the presence of degenerate Deep One colonies, and their obscene and inhuman deities Father Lucifer and Mother Eve, in or near the reputed Word of Blake compound formerly located at Hilton Head, North American Administrative Territory.
Isn't that "Hilton Head, Department of Necromancy, Miskatonic University, North American Administrative Territory"?

It's more interesting than optimal, and therefore better. O0 - Weirdo

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
Isn't that "Hilton Head, Department of Necromancy, Miskatonic University, North American Administrative Territory"?

Department of Post Mortem Communications, please. At the Faculty for Ethical Questionable and Quite Possibly Insane Studies.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
That would explain so many things about ComStar over the years...
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy

That would explain pretty much *everything* about ComStar and the WoB.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
At the Faculty for Ethical Questionable and Quite Possibly Insane Studies.
The Deep 13 facility, run by Precentor Forrester?
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Hythos

• The Embiggened Man
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
Gideon Braver: "You're too late. The Aces... destroyed. I've taken precautions, hidden the 'Mechs. Tell Maria... rebuild the Aces. She'll know what to do."
Agent 722
Salt Lake City / Utah
Have 'Mech, will travel.

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
One of ComStar's mysteries will be answered in The Second Succession War. A mystery fans were first introduced to in the 1992 ComStar sourcebook.

Just what happened in that room on the evening of May 15, 2819?
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
One of ComStar's mysteries will be answered in The Second Succession War. A mystery fans were first introduced to in the 1992 ComStar sourcebook.

That is: did Blake actually have some revelation he passed onto Toyama or did Toyama murder him and grab power of ComStar?

Talen5000

• Lieutenant
    • Handbook: Smoke Jaguar
That is: did Blake actually have some revelation he passed onto Toyama or did Toyama murder him and grab power of ComStar?

I always liked the story that Blake was the mystic.
"So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane?" -- Uncle Arnie

Frabby

• Major
Gideon Braver: "You're too late. The Aces... destroyed. I've taken precautions, hidden the 'Mechs. Tell Maria... rebuild the Aces. She'll know what to do."
No mystery there. In the game's final scene it is mentioned how the Crescent Hawks (Jason Youngblood) inform Morgan Kell, who passes the info on to Gideon's daughter. Only, there's no indication that she ever actually rebuilt the Aces.
("Hey, let's go to some Ghost Bear occupied world deep in the invasion zone and retrieve a lance of shot-up IS 'Mechs. A milkrun mission totally worth the minimal risk, right?")
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Kazashi

• Private
Hilton Head, wasn't that the place which exploded in a rather spectacular fashion near the end of the Jihad? Without reading through the sourcebooks, I seem to remember a canon rumour of lots of nukes being prevented from renovating Terra by some WoB Precentor.... possibly Azrael? My recall of the Jihad is sketchy compared to other eras.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
I'd like to know what Victoria Pardeau was talking about when she mentioned something buried under Hilton Head.

Fifty two of the Blessed Blake's golf balls and one bent pitching wedge.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
Heresy! The Blessed Blake needs only one ball, since all know he has never lost one.

That said, I suppose that will always be something of a mystery: exactly what the nature of Blake was, how much of the philosophy attributed to him comes from him, and how much was invented by Toyama from whole cloth. 
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
The Deep 13 facility, run by Precentor Forrester?

...that would explain a lot about the Word as well, actually.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
I'd like to know what Victoria Pardeau was talking about when she mentioned something buried under Hilton Head.

Sorry, I read the Through the Looking Glass and can't seem to find that bit. Could you help me out? It seems I am somewhat lost...

sadlerbw

• Captain
Fifty two of the Blessed Blake's golf balls and one bent pitching wedge.

I would believe this. Blake knows I've had enough mis-jumps at Arthur Hills over the years resulting in the loss of a little white dropship. Heck, one year, as a young man, I lost an entire box of balls...on the same hole...into the same lake. I was determined to make it over. My incurable slice had other plans.

I'm headed down to Hilton Head again this summer. I'll just stop by the WoB down there and ask. Seriously, there is a World Of Beer down there now, and the sign on their building is "WOB" in big, black letters. I laughed so hard when I saw it and my family had no idea what was going on.

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
That said, I suppose that will always be something of a mystery: exactly what the nature of Blake was, how much of the philosophy attributed to him comes from him, and how much was invented by Toyama from whole cloth.
As noted previously, The Second Succession War...
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!

A party celebrating the 900th anniversary of the Winnipeg Strike?
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
Hilton Head, wasn't that the place which exploded in a rather spectacular fashion near the end of the Jihad? Without reading through the sourcebooks, I seem to remember a canon rumour of lots of nukes being prevented from renovating Terra by some WoB Precentor.... possibly Azrael? My recall of the Jihad is sketchy compared to other eras.

You're on the right track!

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
Sorry, I read the Through the Looking Glass and can't seem to find that bit. Could you help me out? It seems I am somewhat lost...

Yes, Pardeau mentions digs/secrets under Unity city, Fortress Dieron, the Imperial City on Luthien, and the basement of every world's HPG basement but not Hilton Head specifically (though you could make a case for it in the latter, just Hilton Head having more explosive secrets by sheer dint of being the center of the HPG network).

Frogfoot

• Master Sergeant
Yes, Pardeau mentions digs/secrets under Unity city

This is the one I was thinking of. I mixed up ComStar's HQ with the old Star League capital, both on Terra.

Register