Author Topic: Where should I start with learning ASF rules?  (Read 967 times)

Charistoph

• Major
Where should I start with learning ASF rules?
« on: 11 March 2023, 01:07:42 »
Pretty much the question in the title.  I've ordered a couple Corsairs and Turks to start my ASF collection, and want to know, "Where should I start with learning ASF rules?"

There are probably some obvious answers, like Total Warfare and Strategic Operations, but I'm looking for where to look for assets as well, and how strong other assets are.

For example, our local campaign manager has used a sheet of paper with several concentric rings for a simplified "Altitude Map".  Where would I go about getting a copy, and where would I find the rules for interacting with this map.

Edit: Mostly I'm looking at Altitude vs Ground interactions and Altitude Dogfighting rules.  Void and Interface Combat can be suggested, but I don't think I'll be interacting with it any time soon.
« Last Edit: 11 March 2023, 01:23:08 by Charistoph »
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Where should I start with learning ASF rules?
« Reply #1 on: 11 March 2023, 06:32:32 »
The (full size) radar map is on page 177 of Strat Ops (4th Printing).  The rules discussion about it is on page 16.

pokefan548

• Captain
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
Re: Where should I start with learning ASF rules?
« Reply #2 on: 11 March 2023, 10:13:22 »
Total Warfare, naturally. The one downside is that TW's style of teaching aerospace works from the top-down as it were—atmospheric combat builds upon principles taught while learning space combat.

As for how altitude affects interactions with the ground. air-to-ground attacks are always considered to be at point-blank for the attacking aerospace unit (assuming you aren't too high to make the air-to-ground attack in question in the first place); ground-to-air attacks find their range to the nearest hex on an aerospace unit's flight path, then add 2x the unit's altitude. For instance, if a fighter passes within 3 hexes of a Rifleman while at altitude 4, the Rifleman's effective range to target is 11 (3+(4*2)).

If you check my signature below, you can also find my aerospace academy. Hop in hang out, and if you want I'll carve some time out to walk you through anything you need to know about aerospace movement and combat step-by-step.
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth
Leviathans: The Great War Backer #224
BattleTech: Mercenaries Backer #23

Register