Author Topic: Two Guns Blazing's Terrain!  (Read 22209 times)

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
Re: Two Guns Blazing's Terrain!
« Reply #60 on: 15 October 2021, 19:21:15 »
Well, the FDM print didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped, so I will now print it in resin, which will turn out really well...I just wanted to try FDM first. The pic below shows the finished print, you can see the ring base and the front entrance structure turned out really well, but the actual dome framework is really rough. It would be salvageable if I was prepared to put in a heap of time with some Tamiya Plastic Filler Putty and some sandpaper, but when there is an easier option like resin printing, I won't bother putting the effort in to salvage this piece.
Looks like a modern, 3D printed concrete structure.

Two Guns Blazing

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #61 on: 15 October 2021, 20:15:49 »
Looks like a modern, 3D printed concrete structure.

Yeah, it kinda does...such cool technology, some of the companies that are competing to be selected as the provider for 3D printing technology on the Moon and Mars using local materials for construction are doing fantastic work.

The three pics below show the two dome bases, which I will model/paint to represent soil for the trees to grow in. Also there is a liquid storage tank, which I think I found on Thingiverse. I adjusted the sizing of it so that it fits perfectly into my 2" hexes...I have a second one of these on the printer right now. There's also four buildings which I am going to make a start on painting today...pretty sure these buildings are going to be green.

Once the current liquid storage tank being printed is finished, I'll throw on a heap of trees for the dome...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #62 on: 15 October 2021, 20:24:09 »
Sweet, I can't wait to see the finished products!  :thumbsup:

Two Guns Blazing

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #63 on: 22 October 2021, 03:17:18 »
Several pics down below...

1 - I finished painting one of the buildings, a power generator.

2 - A pic of the resin printed dome that a friend is printing for me because my resin printer is too small...looks good, I hope they survive the postal trip...should be here next Wednesday the postal service tells me...

3 - I wasn't really happy with the liquid storage tanks from Thingiverse that I previously printed, so I made my own very basic looking ones in 3D Builder (more cylindrical and less clutter on them - easier to paint). There's 2 x Level 2 and 2 x Level 3 tanks that fill an entire single 2" hex each on the mat I use. Also a group of printed trees that will be placed inside my Agri-Dome. There's also a couple of wall pieces there that I am currently in the process printing a set of.

4 - I wanted a clean and easy to paint wall set for my mat, too. Couldn't find anything suitable that would easily scale to fit a 2" hex system, so I am making my own in 3D Builder. I haven't made all the pieces yet, but essentially it will consist of a tower (2 versions - with and without a turret in the top) that fill an entire hex. Also a 2-Hex long straight wall, a 3-Hex long straight wall and a 1-Hex long straight wall connector piece, that will be used to connect the larger pieces together or to the towers. On the ends of the 2-Hex and 3-Hex long straight walls, I have a "docking collar" which will hide any gaps in the walls when they are placed together on the tabletop.

The walls are Level 2 and the towers are Level 3.

There will also be a 3-Hex long straight wall piece with a gate in it.

I don't plan to use a large or complex series of walls, these will be used in some scenarios to provide a simple wall around a small facility for gaming variety. I will paint them in a light grey to looks like ferrocrete structures.

There is a tower with turret on the printer right now, it has several hours to go yet...I'll probably post a pic up of it with the walls on my mat later tonight.

5 - The weapons for the turrets are purchased as STL's from an online seller and I will print these on my resin printer. I will likely have a steel washer in the turret and and a magnet on the base of each weapon so they can be swapped out, rotated to face any hex edge and will also remain stable and in place during game play.

6 - Tonight I will be moving on to starting to paint the next building as well doing some more creation in 3D Builder for my walls.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #64 on: 22 October 2021, 03:41:18 »
Looking good!  :thumbsup:

Two Guns Blazing

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #65 on: 22 October 2021, 03:43:39 »
Looking good!  :thumbsup:

Thanks Daryk :)

Two Guns Blazing

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #66 on: 22 October 2021, 10:27:16 »
Here's a pic of the tower with turret (no weapons mounted yet, I'll resin print those next week) and it is connected to a 2-Hex long straight wall piece by a 1-Hex long straight wall connector. Pretty happy with their fit and look. I've added a few items to show scale;

Both buildings are Level 1
Mech is Level 2
Trees are Level 3
Walls are Level 2
Tower is Level 3

When I get around to painting these walls and towers, they will be a grey that is a fair bit lighter than the grey of the small building in the pic.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #67 on: 22 October 2021, 19:15:41 »
Love those walls... they look thick enough to safely balance a 'mech on...  8)

And nice paint jobs!  :thumbsup:

Two Guns Blazing

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #68 on: 22 October 2021, 21:09:28 »
Love those walls... they look thick enough to safely balance a 'mech on...  8)

And nice paint jobs!  :thumbsup:

Thanks Daryk!

Yeah, I was thinking over whether the walls should be 30mm thick (this is what I had originally sized them at because it neatly ties in with the width of a hex face, and thus the face of the tower the wall attaches to), or 20mm thick because it is quicker to print than 30mm and uses less resources...or 10mm thick for the same reasons...but in the end, it was the fact that a Mech balances nicely on the 20mm walls that made me decide to go with a 20mm thickness.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #69 on: 23 October 2021, 07:30:27 »
Sound logic!  :thumbsup:

Two Guns Blazing

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #70 on: 29 October 2021, 07:48:39 »
I've almost finished the Agri-Dome...I'm thinking of giving the door on either side a black wash or painting a blue stripe down the door...and I might also put a white number on the front face of the entrance structure...but I'm happy with how it is coming along, it should look good against the red dirt of the gaming mat.

I had a pause in my printing of the wall pieces for a couple of days while I sorted out a blockage. I ended up changing the nozzle and the teflon filament tube as both ended up have blockages in them...I've started back printing a wall piece every day or two now though, so another week or two and I should have all the walls pieces printed ready for painting.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #71 on: 29 October 2021, 16:53:47 »
Looking good, except for that nasty blockage!

Lairian

• Recruit
« Reply #72 on: 02 November 2021, 21:39:30 »
I am in love with your dome and trees setup.  Definitely going to try to replicate.

Two Guns Blazing

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #73 on: 03 November 2021, 05:34:34 »
I am in love with your dome and trees setup.  Definitely going to try to replicate.

Thanks Lairian. I originally planned to have a second one with some crops in it, but I'm sticking to just the one, for now anyway. In a few days I'm going to take a few more pics of it and the walls I've been making to post up on here, I'm looking forward to seeing how it contrasts against the red planet mat I use.

Two Guns Blazing

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #74 on: 03 November 2021, 05:40:45 »
Today I resin printed a number of weapons for the turrets I will be using in the game, here's a pic of one of them...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #75 on: 03 November 2021, 18:29:13 »
Nice!  Is that a laser or autocannon?

Two Guns Blazing

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #76 on: 03 November 2021, 18:55:48 »
Nice!  Is that a laser or autocannon?

Its creator has labelled it as a PPC, however it could really be anything you like...I have two different weapon mounts like this, I guess I will use this one as a ballistic weapon mount (Autocannon and Guass etc) and the other as an energy weapon mount (PPC and Laser etc).

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #77 on: 03 November 2021, 19:14:55 »
Works for me!  :thumbsup:

BLR-1G

• Recruit
« Reply #78 on: 05 December 2021, 12:34:34 »
Your terrain looks great!
I didn´t find it mentioned which 3D printer you use? Could you tell the brand and model please?

Two Guns Blazing

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #79 on: 05 December 2021, 19:31:44 »
Your terrain looks great!
I didn´t find it mentioned which 3D printer you use? Could you tell the brand and model please?

Thanks BLR-1G...the hex hills and the trees were done on an Anycubic Chiron, which had a big enough build plate to take some of those larger hills, and everything else was done on a Creality CR-6 SE...the later is a very nice little FDM printer.