Author Topic: Daemon battlemech?  (Read 3503 times)

BARNESGN

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
Daemon battlemech?
« on: 13 January 2013, 21:39:54 »
I was reading in TROs 3058 under the Spector and found a tidbit about the Daemon anybody know anything about this mech

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Daemon battlemech?
« Reply #1 on: 13 January 2013, 22:42:20 »
Sarna's never heard of it, and if I change the spelling to Demon I only the two tanks and the MD BA series, the MUL however says it does exist and that it's a 'Mech from TRO:3058U, no other information, not even Faction Availability which is noticeable due to it having a post 3068 creation date, likely due to it being a Republic Era Unit.

Best guess? Someone on the MUL team saw what you did and added it, which is something I would expect to happen at Sarna but not the MUL, they SHOULD be told which units are real and what's only made up for the fluff

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #2 on: 13 January 2013, 22:51:46 »
Best guess? Someone on the MUL team saw what you did and added it, which is something I would expect to happen at Sarna but not the MUL, they SHOULD be told which units are real and what's only made up for the fluff
But that's exactly what the various members of the MUL team have done over the years. Poured every bit fluff, plucked out all the obscure one time references whether just a personal variant or an entire unit, and included them. They're all canon, they just don't have record sheets or TRO entries ... yet.  ::)

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #3 on: 13 January 2013, 22:56:40 »
Yes, without stats at most Sarna could add would be a red-link. MUL was pretty much designed with the goal of covering every variant/design no matter how obscure.

blackjack

• When you're a professional pirate ...
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 13 January 2013, 23:10:08 »
Maybe its a next time jump mech??

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #5 on: 13 January 2013, 23:12:35 »
Maybe its a next time jump mech??

A 'Mech designed in the early 3050s? Well, the Defiance eventually got statted, so nothing is impossible...

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #6 on: 14 January 2013, 00:05:11 »
It's a Norse-Storm design; first paragraph of the fluff under Overview specifies it.  Of course, it also specifies that it was put on hold "for at least ten years" and after an eight-year production run of Spectors - which would be at the earliest 3068, and more likely well into the Jihad.  It likely never existed.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #7 on: 14 January 2013, 00:20:15 »
Always a chance it will end up in a XTRO then.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 14 January 2013, 00:27:23 »
Well according to Sarna they produce the following on Locley
SPR-5F Spector
HBK-5S Hunchback
HBK-5SS Hunchback
HBK-5SG Hunchback
DVS-2 Devastator
TDK-7KMA Thunder Hawk
TDK-7S Thunder Hawk
TDK-7X Thunder Hawk
XNT-3O Xanthos

And on Solaris
MTR-5K Maelstrom
NSR-9J Nightstar

Between the fact that it's mentioned in the Spector's fluff and them only producing the SPR-5F in the Light Weight Class I figure it a Light 'Mech (to balance things), possibly as Spector variant designed for spec ops or terror missions with that name

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 14 January 2013, 21:06:35 »
Hey, could someone explain the difference between the Daemon and the MG UrbanMech to me? That is why does the Daemon get a MUL entry but that version of the UrbanMech doesn't?

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #10 on: 14 January 2013, 21:12:19 »
Hey, could someone explain the difference between the Daemon and the MG UrbanMech to me? That is why does the Daemon get a MUL entry but that version of the UrbanMech doesn't?

No one can give you a correct explanation here, but I'm sure people can throw out some guesses.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Nightsky

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 14 January 2013, 21:17:46 »
Because the Urbanmech is the gleaming pinnacle of beauty and awesomeness in Battletech, and the MUL can only safely contain so many variants without risking a catastrophic space-time prolapse.

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #12 on: 14 January 2013, 22:42:23 »
Daemon = Lyran = Include
Non-Clan-Urbie-flavors = Likely Capellan = Expunge

Got to give them something real as opposed to imaginary to fuel the claims of anti-Cappy bias :)

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 15 January 2013, 08:43:05 »
The machine gun Urbanmech was effectively errated out and it makes no sense anyway.

TR3050 revised p 70 says “The official Capellan field modification kit seems to offer the most advantages…[LB10X replaces AC/10]...This kit also substitutes the Magna 200P small pulse laser for the machine gun, which helps discourage enemy infantry.” The problem is there is no machine gun in any Urbanmech. 
The text in the original TR3050 just says “This [the lb10x to ac10 swap] allows a Magna 200P Small Pulse Laser to be mounted in the ‘Mechs chest.” TR3030U says “This lighter weapon [LB10x] allows for the addition of a Magna 200P small pulse laser for infantry suppression.”  So the exact text was “corrected” already (in 3050 Upgrade), back to the original text (of 3050).
And the machine gun line can’t work, IMO.  1) the math doesn’t add up.  To add a machine gun, the R60 (3025 model Urbie) must have dropped something to free the tonnage.  Whatever was dropped is not dropped in the R63 (3050 model Urbie).  With both the original text and upgraded text, the math adds up.   2) the 3050 Revised text suggests that the machine gun model urbanmech was the most common Urbanmech in the Capellan Confederation (since that is the one the Cappies upgraded).  And the Cappies were the only major user of the Urbanmech.   Leading to the most common model in the most common user out of ever being mentioned in any other project. 
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #14 on: 15 January 2013, 13:07:29 »
No one can give you a correct explanation here, but I'm sure people can throw out some guesses.

Have Herb spin the Wheel of Blame.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 15 January 2013, 14:50:15 »
Okay, another one that Sarna BTW overlooked. I'll add it in shortly.

As for the MG UrbanMech... if I ever get the chance via BattleCorps to pass it by Herb & The Factcheckers then I'll make it canon. Promise. :)
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #16 on: 15 January 2013, 14:52:51 »
Okay, another one that Sarna BTW overlooked. I'll add it in shortly.

As for the MG UrbanMech... if I ever get the chance via BattleCorps to pass it by Herb & The Factcheckers then I'll make it canon. Promise. :)

And I will then refuse to enter it into the MUL ;) :P
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #17 on: 15 January 2013, 15:46:36 »
All MG Urbies are retroactively destroyed by the nuclear-armed Arroow IV Urbies of Doom.

Welshman

• Mostly Retired Has Been
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 15 January 2013, 18:55:54 »
Hello,

I just wanted to take a quick moment to make a clear clarification on the Master Unit List.

- The Master Unit List is an official Catalyst product. One that Catalyst provides for free to its fans, though every bit as official as any TRO or sourcebook, if not more in many cases.

- The MUL undergoes a frightening amount of fact check and is constantly being updated in real time. So unlike a static print TRO, the MUL is able to be updated should something change. If a unit appears on the MUL, then enough validation was done to determine that "Yes, this unit existed and is not pure rumor."

- This does not mean said unit will ever see its stats published. That is not the purpose of the MUL. While the MUL does serve as a very useful resource for Battle Value, Battle Force stats and image art, the primary purpose of the MUL is to provide faction availability for units and as a list of all known units in the universe.

- Just because something is not on the MUL does not mean it does not exist. The concept of "the needs of fiction" still apply to the BattleTech universe. Not every factory, vehicle and hand gun in the universe has been documented, nor will they ever be. The MUL is what we know, what has been documented in canon. 

- Sarna is not the MUL. Sarna is not canon. If Sarna lists a Mech and the MUL doesn't then the MUL is most likely correct (Catalyst is not perfect, we do make the occasional errors). The MUL has access to information that Sarna does not have access to, as it is internal information.

We hope this helps to clarify what the MUL is and is not.

Thank you,
Joel BC
BattleTech
-Joel BC-
Catalyst Freelancer (Inactive)

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

Register