Author Topic: XTRO Succession wars 1  (Read 42968 times)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
Re: XTRO Succession wars 1
« Reply #180 on: 20 November 2012, 18:45:16 »
Realization: If playing on the military base mapsheets from Map Set 7(?), a player that drives a BFFL Drone Bomb against the wall and detonates it, it will do enough damage that each wall hex adjacent to it will be destroyed, and reduced to a Level 1 gravel pile. In addition, the BFFL's own hex will become a depth 1 crater.

To describe the blast in other terms: While the blast radius is far smaller, this thing will do five times as much raw damage at the point of impact as a Davy Crockett nuke. :o

Furthering my contention that MG ammo is the most dangerous force in the BTU  [skull]

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Diamondshark

• Lieutenant
  • Bringing back the enlightenment to the Star League
« Reply #181 on: 20 November 2012, 19:11:40 »
My thought is this: the first generation of TSM was supposed to be much better than modern TSM, just prone to catastrophic failure when exposed to a certain gas. Since first-gen TSM is long since extinct, it would make sense that the gas invented to counter it is gone too. That means that (at least once), shouldn't it be a BETTER idea to fit a unit with the old TSM, since its counter isn't around anymore? It would only work once or twice, but it would be devastating those one or two times.
"We are the Clans, the Star League incarnate.
None can stand against us and survive."

-- The Remembrance, Passage 272, Verse 8, Lines 18-19

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #182 on: 20 November 2012, 19:41:53 »
A lot of cool stuff, disappointed I didn't get my leviathan this time. But I know it will come sooner or later and the TRO gang will not dissapont me.

I am confused though; is there not a 20-ton FLE-14? originally the FLE-4, 4 and 15, right?
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #183 on: 20 November 2012, 20:10:42 »
You are right about one thing, however.  Prototype improved jump jets are actually pretty desirable on heavier 'Mechs that don't have a lot of Jump MP to begin with.  You could increase the jump of a Victor to 6 for only two tons more, the number of additional explosive crits would be minimal, and with double heat sinks and plenty of tonnage you could easily sink the additional heat. 
See, that's exactly it for me.  I usually only look at IJJs for heavier mechs in the first place,  A heavy or assault 3/5/3 or a 4/6/4 could benefit a fair bit from an extra 2 points of jump while the additional tonnage isn't too horrible.  Lighter, faster mechs end up taking a huge hit just to turn standard jets into IJJs before they get to bumping up the jump distance, both due to the higher number of jets that are doubling in tonnage, and due to the lower payload space.  Also the higher speeds of lighter mechs marginalizes the effect of jump jets a little bit since they have the MP to power through bad terrain and keep the target movement mod up on foot.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #184 on: 20 November 2012, 20:20:24 »
For those that have asked for where to find the prototype gear rules that aren't covered in this book they can pretty much all be found in Historical: War of 3039 (H:Wo39) or Starterbook: Sword & Dragon (S:S&D)
--Snip--

That's an interesting table Netzilla, the version of TSM vulnerable to a special gas is in S:S&D but missile carrying it are in H:Wo39

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #185 on: 20 November 2012, 21:37:51 »
Blazers!!  [drool]

And beyond that, the Zeus actually works with one!  Thank you, CGL!  I can't wait for Volume 2, and more canon designs with blazers!

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #186 on: 20 November 2012, 22:49:57 »
Hey, the Marauder works....as long as you play with quirks.  ;)

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #187 on: 20 November 2012, 23:28:20 »
For those that have asked for where to find the prototype gear rules that aren't covered in this book they can pretty much all be found in Historical: War of 3039 (H:Wo39) or Starterbook: Sword & Dragon (S:S&D)

Code: [Select]
Item                                H:Wo39        S:S&D
----                                ------        -----
Listen-Kill Missiles                  X
Prototype DHS (aka Freezers)          X             X
Prototype UAC5                        X             X
Prototype LB-10X                      X             X
Prototype Gauss Rifle                 X             X
Prototype ER Large Laser              X             X
Prototype Medium Pulse Laser          X             X
Anti-TSM Gas Missiles (LRM & SRM)     X
Prototype Endo-Steel                  X             X
Prototype Ferro-Fibrous               X             X
Pseudo-Prototype NARC (#)                           X
Pseudo-Prototype TSM (#)                            X
Pseudo-Prototype CASE (#)                           X

(#) I say pseudo because they're not really prototypes.  So, if you're just interested in the gear and nothing else, H:Wo3039 is what you want.
Can anyone with both books confirm if the prototype equipment in Historical: War of 3039 are the same as Historical: Reunification War?  Same with the latter book and Sword and Dragon.

Prince of Darkness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #188 on: 20 November 2012, 23:51:23 »
My thought is this: the first generation of TSM was supposed to be much better than modern TSM, just prone to catastrophic failure when exposed to a certain gas. Since first-gen TSM is long since extinct, it would make sense that the gas invented to counter it is gone too. That means that (at least once), shouldn't it be a BETTER idea to fit a unit with the old TSM, since its counter isn't around anymore? It would only work once or twice, but it would be devastating those one or two times.

The 'certain gas' is oxygen.  Old TSM didn't like it much (I think it was TRO: 3050 that talked about it, when the suns basically "gave" it to the Capellans?) and the book he's comparing it to was made when WizKids still had rights.
Cowdragon:
I'm going to type up your response, print it, fold it in half, and look at it like a I would a centerfold. THAT's how sexy your answer was.

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #189 on: 20 November 2012, 23:53:53 »
Some is. Prototype Endo, Ferro, DHS, Gauss, LBX10 and MPL are identical across H:RW, H:Wo39 and S:S&D.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #190 on: 20 November 2012, 23:58:37 »
The 'certain gas' is oxygen.  Old TSM didn't like it much (I think it was TRO: 3050 that talked about it, when the suns basically "gave" it to the Capellans?) and the book he's comparing it to was made when WizKids still had rights.
It was part of the Warrior trilogy.  Trick Max into building a bunch of new 'Mechs with the super-myomers, then flood the place with the catalyst gas.  Which I recall from the novel was some kind of green smoke, though that may have just been a visual tag like how sulfur compounds are added to natural gas.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #191 on: 21 November 2012, 00:31:56 »

Assuming you could hide the fact that you were acquiring/testing/building units with the "booby-trapped" myomer.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

FedComGirl

• Major
« Reply #192 on: 21 November 2012, 02:06:08 »
No, the one in this book is the FLE-14.  Easy typo to make, however.

Oh okay. Cool :)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #193 on: 21 November 2012, 05:34:56 »
Hey, the Marauder works....as long as you play with quirks.  ;)
You're right, I missed the Combat Computer in my excitement.  Thanks!

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #194 on: 21 November 2012, 09:30:18 »
My good friend Youngblood pointed out that the Soarece would be a blast to use in a modern game with special AC ammo.  Precision for my plinkety-plinkety, AP for my boom-stick!

If the AC20 was swapped for a Gauss Rifle and the AC10 for a LB10X, a fairly easy upgrade, it turns into a nice unit.

It was part of the Warrior trilogy.  Trick Max into building a bunch of new 'Mechs with the super-myomers, then flood the place with the catalyst gas.  Which I recall from the novel was some kind of green smoke, though that may have just been a visual tag like how sulfur compounds are added to natural gas.

Anyone else get the feeling that the catalytic munitions used against the MD were derived from the green gas?  If so, that would be a lemon/lemonade situation.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

Youngblood

• Captain
  • metalmans no longer dumpy or metal, can't touch
« Reply #195 on: 21 November 2012, 09:37:02 »
If the AC20 was swapped for a Gauss Rifle and the AC10 for a LB10X, a fairly easy upgrade, it turns into a nice unit.

No, what you REALLY meant was the AC/10 swapped for a RAC/5, the AC/2 swapped for a LAC/2, and the AC/20 for a Heavy Gauss Rifle.
« Last Edit: 21 November 2012, 09:39:15 by Youngblood »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #196 on: 21 November 2012, 09:45:32 »
No, what you REALLY meant was the AC/10 swapped for a RAC/5, the AC/2 swapped for a LAC/2, and the AC/20 for a Heavy Gauss Rifle.
No, what you REALLY REALLY meant was the AC/10 swapped for a RAC/5, the AC/2 swapped for a LAC/2, and the AC/20 for a IMPROVED Heavy Gauss Rifle.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #197 on: 21 November 2012, 09:59:46 »
Hey, when was the Jenner designed in universe?  I seem to remember the fluff mentioning the JR7-A used a large laser in a turret, but it caused problems.  Perfect for an XTRO.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #198 on: 21 November 2012, 10:18:30 »
The JN7-A (one large laser) has an in-universe date of 2779, produced six years prior to the JN7-D.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Kotetsu

• Captain
« Reply #199 on: 21 November 2012, 15:25:07 »
Hmmm... And when did Kerensky go on the Exodus? (The Jenner IIC is still a bit of a mystery here...)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #200 on: 21 November 2012, 16:36:07 »
Keep wondering if a Clan design is going sneak into the Succssion Wars.  Some designs for Golden Century are listed as Succession Wars Era.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #201 on: 21 November 2012, 16:44:29 »
Hey, when was the Jenner designed in universe?  I seem to remember the fluff mentioning the JR7-A used a large laser in a turret, but it caused problems.  Perfect for an XTRO.

One should note that the flea that just showed up in this XTRO actually entered service during the age of war.

So what constitutes "succession wars" is clearly flexible.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #202 on: 21 November 2012, 17:24:03 »
I think it's more important for a mach to be used during a time period than to have been devloped then for these purposes.

Perhaps we could use XTRO:Star League and XTRO:Age of War though primitives seem to cover some of that.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #203 on: 21 November 2012, 18:33:32 »
I think it's more important for a mach to be used during a time period than to have been devloped then for these purposes.

Perhaps we could use XTRO:Star League and XTRO:Age of War though primitives seem to cover some of that.
While XTRO: Primitives covers the Age of War, XTRO: SL would be great if it introduces us to more mechs in the same line as the Wolverine II and Atlas II or simple refurbishing some of the more goofy looking SLDF mechs. 
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

theothersarah

• Warrant Officer
  • Girls just wanna have fun
« Reply #204 on: 21 November 2012, 19:25:20 »
Has anyone tried the final Tales of the Black Widow Company scenario with the new Supers?

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #205 on: 21 November 2012, 19:26:28 »
No but that's a fun idea for my group when we get back from Holiday break. Thank you for the inspiration!  O0
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

lexington476

• Sergeant
  • PXH-7K
« Reply #206 on: 23 November 2012, 10:18:00 »
Sweet, cool book...

going to look up those P-UAC-5 rules....

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #207 on: 23 November 2012, 13:43:37 »
While XTRO: Primitives covers the Age of War, XTRO: SL would be great if it introduces us to more mechs in the same line as the Wolverine II and Atlas II or simple refurbishing some of the more goofy looking SLDF mechs.

Word.  I would LOVE to see a book showing old SLDF mechs- say, a Thug, in an XTRO.  Especially with Blazers...   :)

Soo, okay.  LOVE this XTRO.  Love it more than any in a while!  Since, dunno, Marik or something- seriously, I like this!  My faves is the fact that something went "ping" in my brain when I saw "super wasp" and "hoff" and I had to dig out the "Black widow" PDF- some AWESOME continuity looping, bringing back something from the past for gameplay now.

And I love the MAD.  Double awesome kicking Blazers, and the artwork just sells it.  I kicks ass in a ga-jillion different ways, and I wish that there had been a hundred made so it would make sense to have these in more SW-Era books, stories, etc. 

I dunno how many volumes there's gonna be, but I hope we see a XTRO-SW based on the war of 3039; SLDF upgrades, explorer-corp mechs, and just other awesome pieces of awesomeness and crap. (the j. edgar is crappy, but it's MEANT to be- well designed crap  ;)

anyhoo- great job!

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #208 on: 23 November 2012, 15:23:49 »
Some is. Prototype Endo, Ferro, DHS, Gauss, LBX10 and MPL are identical across H:RW, H:Wo39 and S:S&D.
What's different?
I only have H:RW

Neufeld

• Captain
  • Raven, Lyran, Horse, Capellan, Canopian, Bear
« Reply #209 on: 24 November 2012, 18:10:52 »
Seems like the Marauder is an illegal design, due to having incorrect internal structure tonnage.  :(

"Real men and women do not need Terra"
-- Grendel Roberts
"
We will be used to subdue the Capellan Confederation. We will be used to bring the Free Worlds League to heel. We will be used to
hunt bandits and support corrupt rulers and to reinforce the evils of the Inner Sphere that drove our ancestors from it so long ago."
-- Elias Crichell