Author Topic: (Answered) BA LB-X AC BV  (Read 1696 times)

Bandit Queen

• Corporal
(Answered) BA LB-X AC BV
« on: 01 November 2018, 07:29:07 »
The Battle Armor LB-X Autocannon does not have any printed pages.  The only technical references are in the official Tactical Operations Errata PDF.  The rules for this item are "supposed" to be listed on (TO, p.286), (TO, p.412), and (TO, p.413).  All of the data and rules are present except for the Battle Value.

1)   What is the Battle Value of the BA LB-X AC system?
« Last Edit: 23 November 2018, 19:38:03 by Xotl »

Bandit Queen

• Corporal
Re: (Research) BA LB-X AC BV
« Reply #1 on: 20 November 2018, 07:23:05 »
I see that this topic in under research, and I would like to post all the data I have found on this subject.  I only know of two Battle Armor designs that use the BA LB-X AC.  The first is the Thunderbird II (XTRO Republic II, p.16) and the second is the Black Wolf (TRO 3145, p.23).  The Battle Value is listed for both units, and I have done my best to reverse engineer the BV of the BA LB-X AC.  Roughly calculated, the number I have come up with is 20-21 BV.

I think it is important to compare the BA LB-X AC with it's closest competition.  They are the AP Gauss Rifle (TM, p.318) and the Medium Laser (TM, p.317). The AP Gauss Rifle has a BV of 21 and the Medium Laser has a BV of 46.

The range of the AP Gauss and Medium Laser are exactly the same and both are one hex further than the BA LB-X AC.  The BA LB-X has a -1 to hit, so I consider all of these to roughly have the same value.  An undamaged Clan Point using Medium Lasers (rolling a 7 on the Cluster Table), would do 15 damage with 3 chances for a Critical Hit.  The AP Gauss Rifle would do 9 Damage with 3 chances for a Critical Hit.  Finally, the BA LB-X AC would do 12 damage with 12 chances for a Critical Hit.  The AP Gauss Rifle has the Anti-Infantry ability, but the BA LB-X has the Flak ability.

Barring Ferro-Lamellor armor, the BA LB-X AC seems on par or better than the Medium Laser.  A Battle Value of around 20 seems too cheap, and I would think it would be 35 or greater.

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: (Research) BA LB-X AC BV
« Reply #2 on: 23 November 2018, 19:37:57 »
20 BV.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Bandit Queen

• Corporal
Re: (Answered) BA LB-X AC BV
« Reply #3 on: 27 November 2018, 08:54:48 »
I would like to point out, for posterity's sake, that I believe the original designer of the BA LB-X AC intended for the system to roll twice on the Cluster Hits Table.  Doing so will give an average of 8 damage with the chance for 8 Critical Hits.  This places the damage very close to the AP Gauss Rifle, and the BV of 20 begins to make sense.

Since all Infantry attacks are Cluster hits, any standard weapon's attack is weakened.  The BA LB-X, however, is already a Cluster weapon and the damage is not reduced for Squad firing.  This makes it very powerful and with the low BV it will most likely be relegated to campaign play only.