Author Topic: Roleplaying Protomech warriors  (Read 2094 times)

Crow

• Master Sergeant
  • Scientist-General
Roleplaying Protomech warriors
« on: 27 May 2018, 15:38:11 »
Has anyone ever played a campaign roleplaying Protomech warrior(s)? How did it go? Do you have any tips, tricks or anecdotes? Tell me your stories!
YOU DARE REFUSE MY BOOF?

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
Re: Roleplaying Protomech warriors
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2018, 22:31:54 »
My group hasn't done it yet. We haven't gotten to those rules yet. However, it would be fun. If I recall correctly, proto-mechwarriors are slightly crazy because of the direct neural interface needed to control the proto-mech. This sounds like a great excuse to play a crazy character with some serious psychological negative traits.

Crackerb0x

• CamoSpecs
  • Master Sergeant
  • Alpha Strike Apologist
« Reply #2 on: 01 June 2018, 11:48:41 »
I don't even play AToW, but it'd be fun.

I don't think that the fun would be in the crazy for th sake of crazy, but HOW they would be crazy.

Playing a mid to long-term drug (or proto) addict with a serious ego problem (because of the illusion made by BEING the proto) could get some interesting character play going.

As a character, I'd start to worry about things like how long I've been away from my Proto and how long will people let me be in it at a time. Would I be disciplined enough to accept the synthetic replacement or would I actively try to live in my proto, ignoring biological needs. Stuff like that. How would others perceive me and would I care?

I think my favorite idea out of this is working with the other players to try to basically use me as a threat doing social encounters, if your game has those.

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 01 June 2018, 12:04:49 »
I don't even play AToW, but it'd be fun.

I don't think that the fun would be in the crazy for th sake of crazy, but HOW they would be crazy.

Playing a mid to long-term drug (or proto) addict with a serious ego problem (because of the illusion made by BEING the proto) could get some interesting character play going.

As a character, I'd start to worry about things like how long I've been away from my Proto and how long will people let me be in it at a time. Would I be disciplined enough to accept the synthetic replacement or would I actively try to live in my proto, ignoring biological needs. Stuff like that. How would others perceive me and would I care?

I think my favorite idea out of this is working with the other players to try to basically use me as a threat doing social encounters, if your game has those.
things that a protomechwarrior could have (develop)
a god complex "I am above you puny beings... (just don't get droopy stomped by hulk) while in your proto."
multiple personality, totally different personalities when inside the proto vs outside.
addiction to using the proto, and or the medications they give proto pilots to try to mitigate some of the issues.
and similar issues.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #4 on: 06 June 2018, 14:53:22 »
I'd play the Proto pilot as overbearing on simple yes or no questions / tasks. They'd feel weak outside their rides, and only come out of their self induced funk when inside. Hearing ' Are they after me ' whispers, whining ' Why can't I use my suit for this task ', arguing that their Proto is the ' Bestiest there ever is! ' or ' Mines better than your < whatever > and I cans too beat you! '.

My favorite saying is from an Elemental back in the 90's MW2 RPG... it can be used today for Proto pilots, really anyone :

" Why can't YOU let ME do this MY way? In MY suit, using MY abilities to complete MY tasks, that YOU demanded ME to do again? " pouts off...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 07 June 2018, 18:17:00 »
My group hasn't done it yet. We haven't gotten to those rules yet. However, it would be fun. If I recall correctly, proto-mechwarriors are slightly crazy because of the direct neural interface needed to control the proto-mech. This sounds like a great excuse to play a crazy character with some serious psychological negative traits.

I'd see them almost bullying infantry, but pranking Mechwarriors.  It would be a reflection of how they behave in their suit, attacking infantry with heavier weaponry and almost immune to their counterattacks, but very careful and sneaky around Mechs.

Now if the infantry agree to be the lookout when the ProtoMech pilot is making the pranks, they become best friends (similar to  ProtoMech using an infantry unit to keep an eye on a Mech so the PM can ambush it).

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 03 July 2018, 18:40:26 »
I suspect it would depend on the group. I've seen crazies played in rifts before, and a good player is awesome, but a troll player can break the game.

If you've got adults and not twits, go for it.