Author Topic: You swore to carry on  (Read 12277 times)

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: You swore to carry on
« Reply #30 on: 02 March 2021, 11:42:05 »
Riga III contest posted.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: 03 March 2021, 05:39:05 »
Based on what happened with the Steiner Battleships when their anchorage was sabotaged?  That fell out of practice in the main fleet, living on mostly in the KCGMs and the other Coast Guards its sponsored.
Well it also looks like those that discontinued the practice aren't in any position to regret that mistake.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #32 on: 03 March 2021, 07:25:23 »
Question is the state of the LCN.  How many ships do they have active. They do have Landmark Class ships left in service WarShip wise.  I do wonder about the Marsdan Class Cruiser. They've always been in the background.  This version of the Ngoverse, the Navies aren't as built up as they were in the Administrator AU where Sharon Ngo, her cousins are running the show.  The Marsdan IIs yet to make featured appearance.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

kioras

• Sergeant
« Reply #33 on: 03 March 2021, 10:30:38 »
The projection that the Republic has are wrong, because they sure that Lyran shipbuilding is crippled by the attack and that all the Freds are unsalvagable.

They do not quite grok how much slack is out there due to all the ship building that was spread out in the last before and during the Jihad.  That means they have the trained workers and even more smaller yards as needed.

There is always a need in a commercial nation for additional Jumpships, The Jihad likely caused the loss of quite a few of them.

They have pretty badly pissed off their spacer community and that prevents them from easily pulling in a lot of skilled workers.

Any sort of campaign of assasinations has also led to quite a few of them to go to ground and get out.

Finally the loonies have kept a lot of the manufacturing going for their gate experiments, that can then be used to turn out Jumpships.

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 03 March 2021, 11:33:23 »
The RotS also suborned part of the LCN, based on active ships and fleets going dark, and some attempting mutiny, well barratry is some cases since the captain was in on a few of them, but failing in some cases.  So their fleet is looking to be augmented by subverted Lyran warships.

Now Peter's 'warp gates' is going to be a big game changer in terms of strategic movement and concentration of forces.
« Last Edit: 03 March 2021, 11:58:54 by Nikas_Zekeval »

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #35 on: 03 March 2021, 11:42:24 »
Biggest problem the Republic has is crewing all their ships: the Belters, Folk and Guild have all told them to get bent, so they're gonna have to strip crews from pretty much everywhere to try and get the ships running. And even then, they'll need god knows how many greenhorns to fill in the gaps
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #36 on: 03 March 2021, 19:00:00 »
No... they're BIGGEST problem is that they have no idea what they're up against.  They have a healthy respect for Elizabeth, but not nearly healthy enough...  ^-^

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #37 on: 04 March 2021, 07:56:05 »
Honestly, i think its hard to say.  I strongly suspect with Stone bony hands in the politics of other nations. He going to try gather more allies to go after Commonwealth and their lone Clan ally.  Also direct combat isn't necessary how this will fully go down.  Were talking about spies, sabotages, Stone's Shadows/Fidelis.  Their going make in roads and wreck the place before anything big and beefy goes after Stone unless some kind evidence of the Republic bad doing finally gets OUT.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #38 on: 04 March 2021, 08:03:22 »
Honestly, i think its hard to say.  I strongly suspect with Stone bony hands in the politics of other nations. He going to try gather more allies to go after Commonwealth and their lone Clan ally.  Also direct combat isn't necessary how this will fully go down.  Were talking about spies, sabotages, Stone's Shadows/Fidelis.  Their going make in roads and wreck the place before anything big and beefy goes after Stone unless some kind evidence of the Republic bad doing finally gets OUT.
Yeah, but a lot of the people who he'd usually rely on to help facilitate this sort of thing? It's already been stated that they like the Lyrans more, and are, at best from his point of view, neutral in the coming war.
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"

Atarlost

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #39 on: 06 March 2021, 03:21:35 »

They can't do that.  Those spy games rely on the ability to backpedal and avoid giving the enemy a solid causus belli, but the Lyrans already have their causus belli.  At any point in the next six months to a year by the estimates in the last chapter the Lyrans can decide that they're not winning the spy game and invoke the attack on Tharkad as a causus belli and smash the People's Republic of Ball and be entirely diplomatically justified. 

Korzon77

• Captain
« Reply #40 on: 06 March 2021, 16:29:30 »
And when the LC, especially with the NGOs involved, goes to war? It goes to war.

Tell me, How is Geneva this time of year? 

Which really gets to the idiot ball, because if the LC decides they're in an existential conflict, they've shown the capability to escalate, and escalate hard.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #41 on: 06 March 2021, 22:06:56 »
Yeah, but a lot of the people who he'd usually rely on to help facilitate this sort of thing? It's already been stated that they like the Lyrans more, and are, at best from his point of view, neutral in the coming war.
pretty much. the actions of liz at the end of the Jihad, both in the kinetic strikes crippling so much terran infrastructure while preserving successor state manpower, and the way she exposed the Wobbie mindcontrol of so much of terra, has really shifted the balance of power regarding the Republic. the "prime" timeline of the game as written, Stone came out of the jihad with basically the only state with full infrastructure and the military to defend it.. especially after he made the transfer of so many coalition units into the republic part of the peace treaties establishing the republic. this is why he was able to get so much of the inner sphere to follow in the republic's footsteps in terms of policy.. and gave him the ability to basically embed republic infiltration into everyone in the process.

in this timeline though the republic inherited a shattered terran infrastructure, and the Lyrans managed to reveal that the republic's populace was a mind controlled mess, creating lots of doubt as to whether the republic's policies actually work or whether it was a fluke taking advantage of the mindcontrol. especially after Liz was able to show that the mind control included some parts of stone's coalition.

croaker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #42 on: 17 March 2021, 23:43:28 »
Has anyone actually drawn up an image of the Kowloon Coast Guard symbol, or that of the 171st?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #43 on: 18 March 2021, 06:29:37 »
Not yet, the image is bit challenging to make unless you want make it free hand.  A Killer Whale jumping out of the water thing is bit out my skill sets.  Image of putting on warships i've been doing been getting highly pixelated due to me shrinking images to fit due to file size limit i usually deal with.

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #44 on: 18 March 2021, 08:32:28 »
How about this?

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Last Edit: 18 March 2021, 09:11:52 by glitterboy2098 »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #46 on: 18 March 2021, 10:10:19 »
I think Intermittent_Coherence got it, but it's up to Cannonshop to say good to go.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #47 on: 18 March 2021, 12:13:28 »
I like 'em both.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #48 on: 18 March 2021, 13:11:16 »
Which one to use?

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #49 on: 18 March 2021, 13:30:23 »
Which one to use?

Both.  Consider it this way: variations either by time period, or by Division/Squadron/Fleet. we could even probably use a few more variations, similar to how Regimental markings vary within the various subdivisions of canon forces. (for example the variations within the FedCom RCT's-they shared similar THEMES but used variations to denote individual units.)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #50 on: 18 March 2021, 13:31:08 »
Only reason why the 2nd one not in favor with me is because it has to be touched up because the "Stock" all over it. 

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #51 on: 18 March 2021, 13:39:55 »
also difficult to embroider on a uniform patch

croaker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #52 on: 18 March 2021, 17:43:45 »
TBH I asked about it because I'm thinking of having a set of custom decals printed for when I go ahead and 3d print a few Sampans. They'll get the Orca alongside a Steiner Fist and some numbers.

The 171st logo would be for fighters, tanks, and 'mechs. (Blackhawk-KU, Enfield, and Longbow, IIRC? Have to order, like, a lance worth of each...)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #53 on: 18 March 2021, 18:30:28 »
Think of the techs!  Both of those are harder to paint than necessary, and the detail will be lost at range.  Granted, I grew up in the PNW (waves at Cannonshop), but all the "easy" art is just the orca, no waves.  If the darn logo maker site I used to use was still functional (for me... I got the "100% loaded" thing, but it switched to a blank white page), I'd whip up a plainer one that would be easier to paint (and turn into decals...).  Kowloon has a LOT of Sampans...

EAGLE 7

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #54 on: 18 March 2021, 19:39:50 »
An idea a roundel black on top half for space blue on bottom with Orca rampant across the middle for space ship, units.

Flipped for blue water CG ships blue on top. black on bottom Orca rampant across the middle for water naval ship, units.
Or
Black Roundel with Blue outline, Orca rampant across the middle for space ship.

Blue Roundel with Black outline, Orca rampant across the middle for water naval ship.
“ My Clan honor is bigger than your Dragon honor, and comes in 18 clan flavors.”

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #55 on: 18 March 2021, 19:44:29 »
yeah
a plainer small design would work better, preferably low viz
something about the size of a hole in 3 ring paper
they can blend them in on mech knees and such
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #56 on: 19 March 2021, 04:01:40 »
How much plainer do you need it to be?
The one I made is cobbled together from parts found off google.
Two to be precise. The Orca (which was a full one that I cropped the tail off) and the waves(only one that I copy/pasted twice). The circle I added with Paint3D.
If you want a version that's even more stripped down, you'll need to be a bit more specific.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #57 on: 19 March 2021, 05:55:26 »
Two to be precise. The Orca (which was a full one that I cropped the tail off) and the waves(only one that I copy/pasted twice). The circle I added with Paint3D.
If you want a version that's even more stripped down, you'll need to be a bit more specific.
You're is fine.  It's the color one from a free stock website that's the issue. I have to use paint to fix it so it's usable.
« Last Edit: 19 March 2021, 06:43:51 by Wrangler »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #58 on: 19 March 2021, 05:55:45 »
Is this story still happen?  ???

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #59 on: 19 March 2021, 06:18:30 »
Yours is basic enough that you could probably make a stencil for it, so someone in a spacesuit could hold it in place to paint on the hull of a spaceship. So I'd say go with that.

Register