Author Topic: The forum and the forumarchive  (Read 3762 times)

Atlan

• Sergeant
The forum and the forumarchive
« on: 26 January 2011, 13:38:04 »
Hi!
(So, the sites back online. Yay!)

All the old posts have been moved to the forumarchive, going back to about 2008.

Problem: that backup completely replaced the older version of the forum archive- specifically, the fanfiction forum. The older backup went back somewhat further.

There were a heap of stories there which hadn't been updated in years, and so were deleted in the move. Stories like the 'Misadventures of Darius Davion', which hadnt been posted anywhere else, as far as I can tell.

Is there any chance of restoring the old forumarchive, either independently of the new one, or adding the two together?

deathshadow

• Lieutenant
  • Special Tasks Group
    • Cut Code Down - Minimalist Semantic Markup
Re: The forum and the forumarchive
« Reply #1 on: 26 January 2011, 18:35:15 »
Nope, we lack the resources to run more than two copies at a time, so it's not going to happen.

The old archives had the warning that they would be deleted without notice at ANY time, just as the new archive has the same warning -- I should have deleted it back in june but it wasn't hurting anything to have it still there.... just as the current archive should go away sometime in june to july.

We lack the deep pockets and endless resources to support keeping old posts around indefinately.
Death will take those who fight alone.
But united we can break a fate once set in stone.

CUTCODEDOWN.COM

Face

• Corporal
« Reply #2 on: 26 January 2011, 20:57:03 »
deathshadow - as a forum member and avid backer of battletech, is there any way that I could offer to host the archive-archives? If you have the content I would be willing to host it as a seperate site if it would be ok. I imagine the usage of such would be minimal (in my terms) and I would lovingly do so for as long as I am in business. Please let me know if this would be possible. Thanks.

Quote from: Darzoni
A Mad Cat, honey, is what happens when a Marauder and Catapult love each other very much.

Revanche

• Warrant Officer
  • Fanah’s Fangs (formerly of the Talitha Division)
« Reply #3 on: 27 January 2011, 13:26:24 »
There were a heap of stories there which hadn't been updated in years, and so were deleted in the move. Stories like the 'Misadventures of Darius Davion', which hadnt been posted anywhere else, as far as I can tell.

Atlan, sorry about the (apparent) loss of all those fan fiction stories. I know there was interest in bringing preferred threads over into the last iteration of the forums, but that was decided against.

There is the BattleTech fanon (link) site, which just needs some motivated leadership in order to become a good repository, and of course BTW also allows for fanon. I'd encourage fanon...well, fans to use these sites to archive their favorite stories, because this is the fourth crash of the forums and each time it does, a lot of valuable information is lost. The movers and shakers at BTW are crafting methods to reference the official statements made on the CBT forums and since there are a lot of varied sub-communities located here, it would make sense to come up with a mothod to help protect what is lost.

Afterall, the new archived forums can be taken down at any time and will probably disappear the next time the primary forums crash.

Goose

• Lieutenant
  • … the Laws on his tail, burning for home …
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
« Reply #4 on: 27 January 2011, 14:17:53 »
. . . Sooooo where is it? I can't spot a link for it anywhere . . .
Goose
The Ancient Egyptian God of Fractional AccountingAnimare Tai-sa Shikishima
I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.

Revanche

• Warrant Officer
  • Fanah’s Fangs (formerly of the Talitha Division)
« Reply #5 on: 27 January 2011, 14:20:57 »
Goose, use your cursor. I made the whole term "BattleTech fanon (link)" a link.

Edit: Or assuming you weren't responding to my post, then the 4th generation forums can be found at http://www.classicbattletech.com/forumarchive/, though they weren't backed up since the end of October.

Hope that helps.

- Rev
« Last Edit: 27 January 2011, 14:36:31 by Revanche »

Tokage

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 28 January 2011, 13:46:37 »
Whoa ... you don't stop in for a few days and someone burns the house down.

Luckily I saved the old Darius story pages some time ago and have them all. I shall have to repost them.

EDIT - Damn, just noticed I've been stripped of all rank. All those years ... :(
« Last Edit: 28 January 2011, 13:54:17 by Tokage »
Now listen to me you benighted muckers. We're going to teach you soldiering. The world's noblest profession. When we're done with you, you'll be able to slaughter your enemies like civilized men. - HRH D. Dravot

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
« Reply #7 on: 12 March 2011, 04:24:35 »
Okay, so I logged into my old account on the forumarchive, but I cannot view my profile (nor anyone else's), and I'd like to save all my old posts before the archive gets wiped again.  Is there any way for me to get to the page ("show posts" profile page) that compiles all my old posts into a single, giant thread? 
Blog: currently working on BattleMech manufacturing rates. (Faction Intros project will resume eventually.)
History of BattleTech: Handy chart for returning players. (last updated end of 2012)

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: 12 March 2011, 08:57:06 »
...but I cannot view my profile (nor anyone else's)...

The database that stored user information was one of the ones attacked.
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Now I've got the image of a Haywire pod that's broadcasting "stop hitting yourself" over and over." MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
« Reply #9 on: 12 March 2011, 11:57:22 »
Deathshadow's post over on HeavMetalPro makes it sound like giving users access to their archived profiles is a bad idea, sure, but (at least, for many posters) the information is still there.  I mean, my PM inbox and the "unread posts" and "new replies" buttons seem to work just fine.  So I was hoping there was a related, indirect way to get that page.  :(
Blog: currently working on BattleMech manufacturing rates. (Faction Intros project will resume eventually.)
History of BattleTech: Handy chart for returning players. (last updated end of 2012)

Register